HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Howard shows up to camp.........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Howard shows up to camp.........
Date: July 27, 2021 07:49AM

I have mixed feelings.....am I glad our #1 player isn't holding out ? Absolutely.

But will he be a cancer in the lockeroom? Play 100%? I'm not so sure he's a team player......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Howard shows up to camp.........
Date: July 27, 2021 07:55AM

I'm convinced he's not a team player. If anyteam offers us a 1st rounder and takes his contract.....we should do it. He's not playing lights out for us anymore, I'm convinced.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 27, 2021 12:12PM

Who do you think can offer a first rounder for this headache.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: July 27, 2021 07:36PM

If it's all about money, then it seems the other team would also have to agree to whatever $ figure will make him feel valued and respected in addition to offering the Phins compensation for acquiring him.

This is off the cuff, so I may feel differently as it unfolds, but I'd tell him and his agent if they can find a team that will give us 2 1sts or a 1st and a pro bowl talent at a premium position his age or younger (and not some PB alternate who snuck in when the real PB-er bowed out), then we'll make the deal. Pressure's on them to see if he's as valuable as they're thinking. Sort of an "are you even as valuable as Tunsil was?" kind of challenge to their position.

If you can't find that deal, then be a professional and give your all for the contract you signed. The contract he signed was the team taking a chance on a guy who'd been injured a couple of times on his rookie deal and in the first year (2019) of his new contract (extension?) he again was hurt and only played 5 games. Miami's been pretty good to him when all things are considered.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: July 28, 2021 04:55AM

In my experience, one of two things I see from Howard this season. He is a point of reference.

Military personnel getting close to being reassigned do one of two things. One, they continue to work their butts off not missing a beat despite having to deal with moving to a new location, new assignment etc. Others, I've seen go into "slow motion" and bide their time. They wind down and slack off. This is also seen when a career person gets close to retirement and starts looking at civilian life. (They are called a "ROADY"--Retired on active duty.) The most professional ones, however, work hard, give it their all, show their mettle right up to the last moment of their service or time on station.

So, I think one of these two behaviors will be observed by Howard. If he's a real pro, he will give it his all. This will benefit him in the long run especially by attracting the interest of other teams. It will also show that he's a team player.

I certainly hope this is the type of professionalism we see from him. I do have my doubts though because I tend to think he's quite vain and will not perform at a high level.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: July 28, 2021 05:36AM

The Dolphins organization brought this all upon themselves when they hired Jones and paid him more than Howard. Now Howard has publicly asked for a trade and Jones wants more money also. The front office is still a clown show. Let's hope there's a team out there that thinks it's a CB away from the SB. New Orleans has been mentioned as well as Cleveland.

Date: July 28, 2021 05:41AM

If we can get a first rounder for him then make the move no questions asked.

He will be a disctraction for the dolphins.

Date: July 28, 2021 05:44AM

Looks the this dolphins org still has a lot of flaws. Yes we hired a likable head coach but front office still a mess and dont know what they are doing.

Date: July 28, 2021 07:09AM

I haven't seen where Jones is asking for more money, too. Could you point me in the direction of that? If he is, that's awful.

Date: July 28, 2021 07:47AM

Its not like we went to the playoffs with them.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 28, 2021 07:54AM

Front office has improved a team that the words stunk and sucked were to complementary to describe them. Howard's situation will be corrected, we give him the money or we trade him either way we go forward. Howard has always given 100% on the field that has always been his nature. Guys rarely move away from who they are in any discipline.

Date: July 28, 2021 08:46AM

Missou a player with a tantrum will do crazy things to get his way. I hope they trade him.

Date: July 28, 2021 10:44AM

I don't know how they could have done it any differently? Howard played well and he got an extention. 5 yrs! He was happy and signed it. Then he played well ....thanks in part to Flores system, and we get more good players like Jones and you think that's bad policy!? We deserve this for wanting two shut down corners to help win ballgames? The Fing egos of these overpaid greedy SOBS is too blame. Nothing more. The front office has vastly improved this team. They have no control over these aholes who have no honor to uphold thier deal.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 28, 2021 11:29AM

Tsstamper, I read it somewhere, don't remember where. I'll see if I can find it.

Date: July 28, 2021 02:18PM

I havnt heard that. If so its the end of the NFL as we know it. There's a reason we sign contracts. It's a legal binding agreement. We can't have these players signing contracts and not honoring them. Frigging disgraceful greedy SOBS. No honor.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 28, 2021 03:35PM

It surprised me when I read it too. I thought it might have been a typo or it may have been Jones yanking Xavien's chain. I can't find it on a regular Google search so, it's likely something I read on another Dolphins chat board.

Date: July 29, 2021 05:06AM

Also it needs to be said....Miami didn't say no to another contract for Howard. They said... its only been 1 yr. You played well. We have others to resign like you were. Others that deserve extentions(Giesicki comes to mind) let's give it 1 more yr and we will absolutely revisit a raise.

Due to his just signing , and his injury history this was beyond fair IMO.

But the greedy SOB is a coward at heart. Afraid of Jones and salary. Winning is not his priority. The team is not his priority and I don't see how the front office could have handled this situation better. I hope we get some good compensation for him. We stepped up. We deserve it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: July 29, 2021 08:55AM

Evidently X is willing to forego a raise and is instead asking for his 2022 salary to be guaranteed which I think is a fair request.
You mention living up to the terms of the contract but, in reality, The Dolphins Organization does not have to. They can release him at any time or trade him. His extension was for 5 years however, it's extremely unlikely that he would have been around for that time. The only hard number in a contract is the guaranteed money, that's what he wants to maximize. Now, I feel fairly confident that Miami will guarantee his salary for the next two years and trade him after this season or release him.

Date: July 29, 2021 09:53AM

I hope it's not something Jones said in seriousness, but, unfortunately given today's athlete, I could see it. We went about architecting a team whose defense put a premium on elite CB play on both sides of the field. In both cases, we made X and Jones - at that time - the highest paid CB's in the league. As everyone knows, the next guy gets the new highest contract...it's just how things work. As treasure said, the team did what it was supposed to.

While I don't think the players union would ever agree to it, I would be in favor of some sort of agreed-upon mechanism for moving a contract's value up or down based upon performance. I suspect players would say "it's already there - they can cut us if our performance doesn't match our pay". To give some credit there, there are one-off instances of this happening but not according to any league-wide standards.

Date: July 30, 2021 08:46AM

Ok. Howard actually asked for a trade. He says: I'm here to avoid $50,000 a day trades, but there is no fins up going on over here. I'm here... but I'm not.

Hes blaming everything on his ex Manager/agent. He said he signed the deal but his agent ****Ed him. The Dolphins and many others feel he was represented fairly. Only after the Jones signing he wished he had a better manager. Dolphins said they would revist it after this season. Show them he's worth it.

He's refusing because he's intimidated by Jones IMO. Afraid he won't be as good, might even get hurt. Why aren't other teams jumping to get him?

I hope someone offers us a killer lineman/draftpick package. Get rid of the sorry SOB.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 02, 2021 09:16AM

According to Barry Jackson, the Phins offered him additional incentives but no new guaranteed money nor moving up of future money and guaranteeing it.

Directionally but w/o knowing any details, I love that. "You claim you're disrespected and not valued because of the $$ related to what you have done historically. We agree that in 2018 your play merited an extension that made you the highest paid at that time. We believe you underperformed in 2019 due to injury...you overperformed in 2020. These incentives will help close the gap on future overperformance while protecting us against future underperformance."

Somewhere - and I can't recall where - I think I read that the Phins have also said they're willing to talk more about it after the 2021 season. I like that as well because it puts X in the position of stringing together 2 good, full seasons.

Date: August 02, 2021 01:02PM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to Barry Jackson, the Phins offered him
> additional incentives but no new guaranteed money
> nor moving up of future money and guaranteeing
> it.
>
> Directionally but w/o knowing any details, I love
> that. "You claim you're disrespected and not
> valued because of the $$ related to what you have
> done historically. We agree that in 2018 your
> play merited an extension that made you the
> highest paid at that time. We believe you
> underperformed in 2019 due to injury...you
> overperformed in 2020. These incentives will help
> close the gap on future overperformance while
> protecting us against future underperformance."
>
> Somewhere - and I can't recall where - I think I
> read that the Phins have also said they're willing
> to talk more about it after the 2021 season. I
> like that as well because it puts X in the
> position of stringing together 2 good, full
> seasons.

Well said. thumbs up

And isn't he supposedly nursing an ankle injury right now? Really?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2021 01:02PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: August 08, 2021 05:23AM

Good News. Xavien Howard has reached an agreement with the Dolphins. I wish I could copy and paste the details. The agreement is incentive based, one million bonus for a Pro-bowl appearance. The deal was agreed to last night.

Date: August 08, 2021 07:08AM

"The Miami Dolphins and Xavien Howard have agreed to a re-structured contract that will keep the disgruntled All-Pro cornerback in Miami, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones has confirmed. The NFL Media's Mike Garafolo first reported the deal, which includes a $1 million Pro Bowl incentive and additional $3.5 million in incentives bringing his maximum value for 2021 to $16,285,294 -- about $20,000 more than Stephon Gilmore, the league's highest paid cornerback.

In 2022, Howard would receive $500K in per-game roster bonuses and $100K in workout bonuses. Howard, an All-Pro in 2020, tallied 10 interceptions, which led the league. Assurances were made that the two parties would re-negotiate a deal "in line with market based on health and 2021 performance" in February or March."

I suppose its good news for sure. I was all set to let him go to another team. But In this NFL you the goal is a superbowl , not egos , and Flores sees Howard and Jones as a key to reaching that especially with the way Buffalo man handled us las year.

The one thing that really stands out through this whole thing for me is the way the rest of the team stood by him. The players and especially Jones. They really like him as a person, as a teammate and that says alot about him to me.

But the rest of these guys need to pick who represents them with a little more care and stand by anything they sign.

Man I'm looking forward to seeing this defense this season. And if TUA can score on them this pre season he should be ready in September.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:08AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The Miami Dolphins and Xavien Howard have agreed
> to a re-structured contract that will keep the
> disgruntled All-Pro cornerback in Miami, CBS
> Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones has confirmed.

Good. I bet that if Flores wasn't here he would have wanted a trade instead.

> Man I'm looking forward to seeing this defense
> this season. And if TUA can score on them this pre
> season he should be ready in September.

Me too, good point there. I'd love nothing more than for him to prove his doubters wrong, and that's because he's who our QB is, not just because his name is Tua. I'll be dogging him too if he stinks it up.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 09:43AM

Trade him for Surtain and Jevonte Williams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.