HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Taking Najee Harris at # 18.........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Taking Najee Harris at # 18.........
Date: April 06, 2021 12:33PM

Alot has been stated about who we are going to pick/trade at #6. Alot less conversation has been made about #18.

I read a great article from Sports Illustrated that makes the case for Najee Harris at #18. Hes the biggest of the bunch at 230 6'2". My feeling is we already have smaller speedy backs on the roster Lets get a Red Zone monster who can move the chains ,block & be another target for TUA .

SI Alain Poupart:

Let's start with the pros, and the most obvious argument for drafting Harris, which is his all-around game.

Harris is one of three elite running back prospects in the 2021 draft, along with Travis Etienne of Clemson and Javonte Williams of North Carolina.

While Etienne is the home-run threat with the ability to go the distance on any play and Williams is the tackle-breaking machine, Harris is a mix of the two and maybe a better pass catcher than either.

Harris also has great intangibles, most recently evidenced when he drove overnight to attend the Alabama Pro Day to support his teammates even though he wouldn't participate in the workouts.

This matches what former NFL and college head coach Jim Mora Jr. when he recruited Harris for UCLA.

"He's unique," Mora said. "He's unique in terms of his character. He's unique in terms of his toughness, his speed, his ability to find the end zone. He's going to add value not only between the lines and the way he plays the game but he's going to add value to the organization. He’s a kid that’s going to be out in the community doing great things. He's going to be tremendous in the locker room, which is very important in terms of providing leadership.

"This kid is special. There's something about him that's different and you've seen it and I've seen it and every fan has seen it."

The Dolphins did sign Malcolm Brown as a free agent from the Rams in the offseason to join young backs Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed, but all three look more like complementary players and it's entirely possible the organization isn't going to want to pass up the opportunity to get a feature back.

Look at it this way: If the Dolphins are going to take Ja'Marr Chase sixth overall despite having a lot of wide receivers because they don't have a bona fide No. 1 guy, wouldn't it be the same deal with the running backs and taking Harris at 18?

Here's the other factor to consider: Not everybody is convinced that Harris is even the top running back in the class.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who previously worked as a scout, has Etienne as his top running back, as does CBSSports.com.

If the Dolphins end up selecting a running back at 18, Harris certainly would make more sense given that he's more complete than Etienne, but the Dolphins just as easily might be able to land Williams in the second round (at 36) and use that 18th overall pick on a different position.

As with the sixth pick, it's going to come down to who the Dolphins feel is the best prospect looking ahead. But it says here that 18 is too high for a running back unless that running back is generational — to use the popular term.

Harris is a great prospect, but he's not generational.

"I think 18 maybe is a little rich," Mora said. "I think a lot of people think he's going to go to Pittsburgh where he kind of can pound up in there, at 24, but I'll tell you this, if the Miami Dolphins take Najee at 18, if I was a Dolphins fan, I'd be excited about it."

BY ALAIN POUPART

I thought this was an interesting article because it didn't argue whether Miami should or shouldn't take Harris but rather .... WHEN.

We pick early in the 2nd round so should they wait? drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking Najee Harris at # 18.........
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 07, 2021 06:03AM

Harris at 18 and chase at 6 would be ideal.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 07, 2021 06:04AM

I would not be mad if we landed ettiene at 18th. That would be a steal. He can fly.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 08, 2021 08:36AM

If we want Harris Etienne or Williams there is risk waiting until 36

I would drop down a few picks

Jets, Steelers and worse Bills could take an RB

Really like Jevonte Williams have a feeling he may have the best career

Date: April 08, 2021 09:48AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we want Harris Etienne or Williams there is
> risk waiting until 36
>
>
> I would drop down a few picks
>
> Jets, Steelers and worse Bills could take an RB
>
> Really like Jevonte Williams have a feeling he
> may have the best career

No doubt Williams, Etienne and Harris are the top three. I just really like Harris's size compared to the other two. We have some speedy smaller backs on the rooster already, in Gaskins, Amed and Laird. I think Harris would complement them more and he can block and supposedly a nice option at receiver as well. Imagine getting PITTS. Both would really compliment each other blocking receiving.....defenses would really need to prepare.

As for waiting until 36.....thats a tough call. Guess I'd have to see the board at 18 see whos left. If someone like Surtain was still there at 18 or another elite defender it would be tough to take Harris at 18.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.