HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is anybody really happy with this kid?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is anybody really happy with this kid?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 13, 2020 12:56PM

Poll
What do you think of Tua?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
9 votes were received.
Still like him. 7

78%
Never liked him. 0

0%
Beginning to wonder about the kid 2

22%

I didn't want to draft this injury-prone Tua kid in the first place, I didn't believe in him and still don't, he's already missed games and is banged up again, he's not as accurate as I was led to believe, and he doesn't appear to be able to play an entire game well. Last week, one good half. This week, one decent quarter. he does not seem to be getting any better. Not saying he is a bust yet, but he seems to be trending that way. I keep hearing that he's won twice as many as he's lost, but these wins are because of the defense, certainly not Tua.
I think we should hope that the Texans get a really high draft choice, then with it we should draft another QB. Fitz won't be here forever, so I think that the newly drafted QB should compete with Tua, then the winner of that competition should be the starter and Tua (sorry, I meant the loser)becomes the backup when Fitz leaves. Unless we can trade this damn kid and get a substantial pick for him and keep Fitz around awhile.
In case you were wondering, I don't like this kid and never did. I'd love to get Lawrence, but unless the Jests are totally stupid we won't get the chance.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is anybody really happy with this kid?
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 13, 2020 01:38PM

What looks good in college doesn't always translate to the NFL.
Tua is not the complete package. He doesn't have the cannon, the long ball attempts today seemed to float and come up somewhat short, he doesn't have the size and, he's not particularly quick running the ball.
The intermediate passes were much more accurate, even the ones that were dropped. 30 unanswered points says it all. Mahomes' long bomb for a TD was followed by Tua going 3 and out.
Puting up 200 yards while the KC defense is playing soft might look good on the stat sheet but, obscures the reality that Miami has a long way to go to beat the elite teams.
We waited 20 years for the NE dynasty to crumble only to see another juggernaut take their place. Now, we're not even the best in our four team division.

Date: December 13, 2020 01:41PM

I do think hes injury prone. I'm hoping after a year in the NFL he can bulk up some . But all the things you cant train for , you cant coach, the pocket presence , awareness , the mind set.....he's the goods. More then I thought.

That INT today was not his fault. These receiver's drop good pass after good pass. Today with No running game, No 1st string receiver's ......basically no deep threat after Parker got hurt we STILL almost beat the best team in the NFL.

I have zero issues with TUA. Keep going the way we are going we are drastically improved after last season. After this game we see where we need to improve. Great game.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 14, 2020 04:04AM

I think Tua's performance was pretty solid given what he was working with. No Devante Parker, Preston Williams, Myles Gaskin, and eventually no Gesicki. He was down to Mack Hollins and Lynn Bowden, Mahomes was throwing to an all pro stable of receivers plus had his two top running backs. Miami spotted them a punt return touchdown and still Miami was a fourth down conversion away from having a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. I'm disappointed that we lost, but I'm pleased with the level of effort and with Tua's play. Next year, give him some weapons even close to what Mahomes has, and then we can make some more definitive conclusions. So far, I've liked what I've seen.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 14, 2020 05:29AM

We were in it till the end against the best team in football.

Period.

Without no running game and no receivers to pass to...

If you asked me i say tua did a very good job.

And that int that was a pass to MINIATURE 6th round pick GRANT wasnt tuas fault...

If it would had been 6'4 Preston Williams he didnt had to jump 6 foot in the air to grab the ball...

Im beginning to dislike grant as a receiver...

WAIT UNTILL WE DRAFTSOME ReCeIVErS and RUNNING BACKS IN THE FIRST ROUND IN 2021.

Date: December 14, 2020 05:31AM

And i didnt vote on the first post because there wasnt a choice for I REALLY LIKE TUA.

Date: December 14, 2020 05:33AM

Games like the last two. The bench clearing and now this close upset. This is what makes great teams. In the past we changed players like underwear. There was no Team. Just a cast of characters that looked good on paper. I see a completely different sideline. These players are engaged they are confident, focused and they are playing like a team. You have to go through some stuff to become great. These players are not just making a paycheck. They are a part of something now. The rest of the NFL sees it too after yesterday. Mohommes isn't shit talking us.....I can bet you that. He knows if we made that field goal, if Parker and Giesicki didn't get hurt....we probably win that ball game.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2020 05:35AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 14, 2020 06:30AM

That game was nowhere near as close as the final score suggests.
30 unanswered points was the key stat that shows how lopsided the game really was.
4 turnovers against the Chiefs should have guaranteed a win normally.
In Tannehill's first couple of years he too was "The Real Deal" and all we had to do was get him some weapons.
Well, we never found that league leading running back and Tanny remained just good enough to get an extension and tread water for 7 years.
I just hope Tua shows up one way or the other much sooner.
Right now he looks pretty ordinary.

Date: December 14, 2020 07:58AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That game was nowhere near as close as the final
> score suggests.
> 30 unanswered points was the key stat that shows
> how lopsided the game really was.
> 4 turnovers against the Chiefs should have
> guaranteed a win normally.
> In Tannehill's first couple of years he too was
> "The Real Deal" and all we had to do was get him
> some weapons.
> Well, we never found that league leading running
> back and Tanny remained just good enough to get an
> extension and tread water for 7 years.
> I just hope Tua shows up one way or the other much
> sooner.
> Right now he looks pretty ordinary.

Tannehill had much better weapons than what Tua had yesterday. Mack Hollins has been in the league since 2017 and has a total of 37 receptions and that includes the 5 he got yesterday. Bowden is a converted college QB who had 5 catches going into the game yesterday. Our running back was someone we traded with KC for mid- season and averaged 2.7 yards a carry yesterday. Look, I have no idea whether Tua will become our franchise QB or not. I'm just saying that throwing for 316 yards, 2 touchdowns with literally no weapons is pretty impressive. I wonder what Tua's numbers would be if he were playing in KC's offense?

Chris Grier becomes the most important person in this franchise. He has 4 picks in the first two rounds. If he can get Tua a running back and a deep threat wide receiver that keeps defensive coordinators up at night preparing for, we'll find out about Tua.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 14, 2020 11:08AM

No pre season

Rookie QB

3 rookies starting on the oline along w/ a weak center.

8-5

Tua is the best thing to happen to us at QB in over 20 years.

Date: December 14, 2020 11:33AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> No pre season
>
> Rookie QB
>
> 3 rookies starting on the oline along w/ a weak
> center.
>
> 8-5
>
> Tua is the best thing to happen to us at QB in
> over 20 years.

I agree. No offense to Mack Hollins or Lynn Bowden, but at this stage of their careers, they're not exactly receiving juggernauts. I'm anxious to see how Tua does when he has a running game and a wide receiver who's a deep threat. I think we're set at tight end with Gesicki who keeps getting better and better. I like Devante Parker but the injuries seem to be a recurring theme. Grant is limited. He's fast but his hands are unreliable. Preston Williams is promising but not a true #1 wide receiver. Waddle or Devonta Smith make a lot of sense. Like you, I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing from Tua.

Date: December 14, 2020 01:05PM

In 2021 we get tua a dominating rb and receiver in the first round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2020 04:28PM by samsam3738.

Date: December 14, 2020 01:15PM

Back to tua.

Tua playing well. Its scary he hasnt reached his ceiling yet. He can actually get better. Thats scary for opposing defenses.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 14, 2020 04:13PM

This message is directed at SamSam--

Samsam, you apologized to me and Treasure Coast a month ago and now you are once again trolling for a reaction by calling up your favorite topic, Tannehill. Apparently your apology was meaningless or you have a short memory. Well, you have gotten a reaction to calling Tannehill a wet firecracker--me. He is playing on another team and is no longer a Dolphins. Bringing him up when the thread is about how fans perceive Tua and his progress has no significant value to others on the forum. As a result, I am deleting your posts on this thread that contain any reference to Tannehill, direct, inferred or implied. Colonel

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 14, 2020 05:05PM

Still like him. He’s got the tools and he has improved. He really needs weapons. Parker, I’m not a #1 receiver and Gesicki are not enough. Grier has to get two playmakers at WR and a tough, RB that can break tackles and run away from defenders. Beyond that we need more O-Line and D-Line pass rushers as well as another LB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2020 05:37PM by Ken.

Date: December 14, 2020 06:40PM

Ken Wrote:
> Still like him. He’s got the tools and he has
> improved. He really needs weapons. Parker, I’m
> not a #1 receiver and Gieseki are not enough.
> Grier has to get two playmakers at WR and a tough,
> RB that can break tackles and run away from
> defenders. Beyond that we need more O-Line and
> D-Line pass rushers as well as another LB.

Yes I agree Ken. 100%. We have made great strides this past off-season. But we still have a long way to go. That draft pick from the Texans could be worth alot to trade down. Soak up another 2nd rounder...still have 2 1st rounders. Should be able to fill that shopping list nicely along with a few free agents . We are on the rise and players will want to be a part of it!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 14, 2020 07:05PM

Tua has only played 7 games this season. He's only getting started as an NFL QB. He has a lot to learn yet but has a lot of upside.

I'm presuming that most of us here watched Buffalo beat the Steelers. Yes, Josh Allen looked good, but don't forget how long it's taken him to look as good as he does now - This is his 3rd year. His rookie year he played 12 games and stunk - He had a 52% completion rate, 10 TD's, 12 INT's and a QB rating of 67.9. In 2019 he had a 58.8% completion percentage, 20 TD's, 9 INT's and a QB rating of 85.3. In 2020 he's progressed nicely from 2019.

All that said, I don't think it's fair to expect Tua to be compared to Josh Allen as a 3rd year QB, or the Jesus Christ equivalent of an NFL QB with only 7 games played so far as a rookie. Tua is actually starting out better than Allen did on his first and second year.

In 7 games played, Tua has 62.0% completion percentage, 9 TD's, 1 INT, and a QB rating of 95.2. That's better than Allen's 2nd year by far.

All that Tua needs is to keep learning and stay healthy. That's it.

Date: December 14, 2020 09:18PM

I think we need to stop comparing TUA to anybody. Kid is his own . You don't have to charge out the gate gangbusters to be great. Hes been making steady progress. No preseason, new team, new offense......hes been playing pretty damn well considering. Yesterday's INT was a missed catch. Hes the only starting Lefty, he's different. He made some great decisions, ran for first downs, threw the ball away.....Hes up to it mentally. You either have that or you don't.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 15, 2020 03:41AM

Tua, given time and based on the play book and caliber of his teammates, will develop his own NFL football characteristics. The young fellow shows great promise. He'll grow just like the number of Dolphins' wins and fans in the stadium. smileys with beer

Josh Allen seems to be on the right track for Buffalo. It HAS taken time for him to blossom and it seems too coincide with his supporting cast. The team is doing well and appear to be ready to capture the AFC East instead of NE. Nice change. It won't be long, I predict, before the Dolphins go toe to toe with Buffalo for that heralded spot.

The Dolphins may not make the playoffs because of injuries to too many players. However, we all see how Flores has improved the attitude of the team and their overall play. There are areas to prop up and we are in dire need of a strong running back. IMO, we are on the way too becoming a top contender, next season.

As for the hapless Jets...they will remain that way under the watchful eye and leadership of Adam Gase. He will ruin their #1 draft pick in short order if he remains with that franchise. What a dismal outlook for a superb football talent.

Date: December 15, 2020 04:03AM

The jets need to give gase a contract extention.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 15, 2020 06:27AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> The jets need to give gase a contract extention.

Good one Sam thumbs up

I still can"t believe the Jests hired him to begin with. It was obvious here that he was in way over his head. Luckily for us, his shortcomings here landed us a HC in Brian Flores that completely changed the culture of this team smileys with beer

Date: December 15, 2020 06:33AM

Right now this team needs just a few tweaks and stay healthy and then next year we will be able to compete with the best of them. We are so close.

Date: December 15, 2020 07:07PM

Gentlemen, I desperately hope he gets better. At this point, he's far too ordinary for a 5th overall pick.

Rick

Date: December 15, 2020 07:17PM

I can't see any way in the world that Gase stays with the Jests. I don't think that they want Gase anywhere near Lawrence. I was astonished that they hired him at all..much less so soon after we fired him.

Rick

Date: December 15, 2020 07:20PM

That sure would be great for us, wouldn't it? An awful Jests team with a Trevor Lawrence screwed up by the QB guru, Adam Gase. Gag. I guess we do need to thank him for making us bring in Brian Flores, though. We definitely made out best on that deal.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2020 07:24PM by dolphan4545.

Date: December 15, 2020 07:30PM

You're right, we are. It is also clear where we are weak and what we need to bring in to make it possible for us to compete with the best teams. However, unlike most of you guys, I believe that QB is one of those positions. I just don't like this kid and I hate like fire to have to depend on an ordinary QB picked 5th overall to lead a team with so much talent.

Rick

Date: December 15, 2020 08:06PM

At this point it doesn't matter where he was picked. TUA is a rookie with no preseason and injuries at every starting position on Offense.

I agree hes been quite ordinary. Our defense and special teams have won us games not TUAs arm.

But hes also not been ....bad.Thats important. he hasn't made bad decisions, No INTs. Hes not forcing anything. Hes pretty cool and calm.

Whats not to like? He did make 1 dumb comment. But hes also still a kid. He still has so much upside. Give him another season with an improved line, New center , RB , and a few receivers.....we will be at the top of the heap. We just need to draft smart , limit injuries.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 16, 2020 05:51PM

Tua will be fine. Our roster is thin on offense. We fix that and we see improvement from our QB. Our D needs to improve talent wise as well as speed wise too.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 19, 2020 06:46PM

Add Etienne and Chase, Waddle or Smith and watch out

Date: December 20, 2020 12:31PM

What's not to like? He did make 1 dumb comment. But hes also still a kid."

Of course he is, but I don't care about some comment. I care what I am seeing on the field, and I'm not even near being impressed. I'm willing and I want to be convinced, but he hasn't shown me anything to be impressed about. I'm tired of being nearly as hoarse as I would be at the stadium, screaming at my TV at his voluminous mistakes. His play has been mediocre, and I think that that's what's not to like.

Rick

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.