HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The QB conundrum and draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The QB conundrum and draft
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 29, 2020 07:14AM

We seem to be getting more clarification on this and will have to determine how we value the top 4 QB in the draft. Those useless wins last season could cost us as we are not at 2 or 3 where we should be

I think the Phins will offer 3 firsts this year or 2 this year 2 next for Burrow and their 33 pick. They have to make an offer they cant refuse if he is their guy. The Bengals either take the bait or they don't

If they don't, then it comes down to do they value Tua, Herbert and Love equally? If so, they will get one at 5 no need to move up. If they want Tua, they will need to move to 3

If not, the chargers will likely move to 3 for their guy. It is a low risk high reward decision for the lions. With the new stadium if healthy, for the chargers it will be Tua

I see 1 mock with Tua going to the skins, and they just traded for Kyle Allen??

If that were to happen the Lions would likely take Young
which means the chargers could move to 4 to take Herbert unless they are Ok with Love. As with the Lions, the Giants could drop down and get their guy. It would be crazy if the Skins move allowed Young to fall to the Giants

So if Tua's medicals come back clean, chances of Tua , maybe even Herbert, at 5 could be slim

That would leave Love, so don't be surprised if Carolina, Jacksonville or the Raiders don't try to go for him. That raises the question how do the Phins value Herbert & Love vs Hurts, Fromm, Eason?

Could the Phins trade 5 to the Raiders for 12 & 19 and have 12, 18, 19 26? This will be very enticing if they feel Hurts , Fromm or Eason or Anthony Gordon later, could be as good as Herbert or Love, and still have Rosen also as a backup or trade chip

Worst case they do and at 12 18.19, 26 take

12 - Wills, Wirfs, Bechton, Thomas, Jackson or Jones best OL
18 - Hurts? Remember all who passed on Lamar?
19 - Kenneth Murray
26 - Deandre Swift or Jonathan Taylor

2nd

39 - Cesar Ruiz or Lloyd Cushenberry
56 - KJ Hamler legit Game breaker WR

3rd

70 - jeremy Chinn, Kyle Dugger, Antoine Winfield S

4th

141- AJ Dillon, Eno Benjamin, Zack Moss, Josh Kelly RB (Comp pick)

5th
153 - Luc Barqoo CB (Drake trade)

154 - Jordan Mack LB (Minkah trade)

173 - Rashard Lawrence Broderick Washinton Trevis Gibson,Nick Coe,Jonathan Garvin,Darrion Daniels or Jonathan Greenard DL Anthony Gordon? (Talib trade)

6th

185 Kindle Vildor Essang Bassey, Or Ezra Robinson CB

7th

227 - Juwon Johnson,Quintez Cephus, Dez Patmon, Lawrence Cager WR

246 - Jon Runyan or Scot Frantz OL

251 - Tanner Muse or Julian Blackmon S

Offense

Future QB
Major OL upgrade
Major backfield upgrade 2 of the best backs in the draft
Hamler, Parker, Williams, Gesicki and Johnson or Patmon, major WR corp upgrade

Defense

Major secondary upgrade
LB & DL core upgrades with FA acquisitions

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 07:33AM by jlyell13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The QB conundrum and draft
Date: March 29, 2020 07:51AM

They have to really really want a QB to stretch for anyone besides Burrows. Tua is still a leap of faith but he does have skills.

I've been saying this forever, The QB position is not desperate. We can have an excellent season with Fitz or Rosen and stockpile for Lawrence possibly next season.

See what happens at 5. Dont get desperate, trade down for next season.

Let's stop kidding ourselves folks. You want a Great QB? You go for Burrows, or Lawrence next season. TUA has skills but needs to stay healthy and the rest are projects. Out of those , I'd take Only Hurbet at #5. And that's a stretch. Love or Fromm at #18.

It's not a desperate situation. We dont HAVE to get one this season. Lots of options.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 08:30AM

Treasurecoastphinfan, i agree on some points, but we cant kid ourselves, if we can't tank to get top 3 this year, after upgrading in FA and the draft , we likely won't have any chance at Lawrence or Fields unless all acquisitions are busts, but it isn't likely we are worse than last year

And nobody knows how this years QB will end up

Teams have got Marino, Brady, Wilson, Lamar after several other QB were taken. Hurts reminds me a lot of Lamar. I wasnt big on his passing, but he put up imprressive #'s last year , is a multi dimensional weapon like no other in the draft?? Anthony Gordon put up #'s comparable to Burrow?

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: March 29, 2020 09:15AM

If we cant get Burrow I say we go a different route:
5- A. Thomas LT
18- X. McKinney or G. Delpit S
26- I. Wilson RT (Davis moves to RG)
39- J. Fromm QB
56- T.Biadasz C (Karras signed for 1 yr)
70- C. Akers RB
141- D. Hamilton NT (ours stinks)
153- J.Kelley RB
154- R. Lawrence DT (depth)
173- J. Mack LB
185- L. Barqoo CB
227- Q. Cephus WWR
246- M. Callaway WR
251- E. Robinson CB
O-Line set,plenty of RB, and NT taken care of running will be harder for opponents

Date: March 29, 2020 10:43AM

cedaphins would you take Fromm over Hurts?

Wilson at 26 seems like a reach. We signed Karras at C, hes only 27 so not sure we need Biadasz

I could live with Akers and kelly, AJ Dillon or Eno Banjamin, watch their tape

Check out KJ Hamlers tape, we need a deep threat like him

Delpit has dropped lately, some have him slipping to the second. I really like Dugger, Chinn, Winfield at safety and can get them in the second. Dugger, Chinn and even tanner muse can play LB & S, great versatility and some speed for their size. Minkah who?

Date: March 29, 2020 01:03PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Treasurecoastphinfan, i agree on some points, but
> we cant kid ourselves, if we can't tank to get top
> 3 this year, after upgrading in FA and the draft
> , we likely won't have any chance at Lawrence or
> Fields unless all acquisitions are busts, but it
> isn't likely we are worse than last year
>
> And nobody knows how this years QB will end up
>
> Teams have got Marino, Brady, Wilson, Lamar after
> several other QB were taken. Hurts reminds me a
> lot of Lamar. I wasnt big on his passing, but he
> put up imprressive #'s last year , is a multi
> dimensional weapon like no other in the draft??
> Anthony Gordon put up #'s comparable to Burrow?

Good points. No doubt.........I used to fight a QB in the draft every year because I KNEW Tannehill was talented enough to go the distance. But now....I'm unsure about alot. We definitely need a long term option. Taking one this year is Completely not wrong. I'm just not amped up about any of them . I really think if teams are picking these guys and moving up for them they are literally shooting craps. And no way they all turn out. I really think we are better with Rosen/Fitz for a year. See what they could do behind a decent line with a rookie runner like Swift.

But Maybe Love wont HURT..........or vice versa? I just hope they dont roll the dice with #5.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 29, 2020 01:59PM

No GM considers himself to be "rolling the dice" when he makes ANY draft pick. Only people who hate the draft consider it to be a crap shoot.

Date: March 29, 2020 02:38PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> No GM considers himself to be "rolling the dice"
> when he makes ANY draft pick. Only people who
> hate the draft consider it to be a crap shoot.

Your right. Thats why nobody picked Tyree Jackson .......eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 02:57PM

That's all you can say. Unlike Tannehill who WE WE. WE, the Dolphins, HAD to trade. away, all you can point is one guy I wanted to draft.

Date: March 29, 2020 03:07PM

The L.A. Times has us picking Herbert. Go PAC-10.

Date: March 29, 2020 03:34PM

Thanks jlyell 13 I will look into those other players. Fromm vs Hurt is a toss up I chose Fromm cause he is more accurate. Wilson maybe a stretch but he is a very good pass blocker and run blocker and will be there along time fairly cheap same as Biadasz.
I believe if we build the lines this year then we can go all in next year with Fields(OSU) or Lawrence(Clemson) if Fromm or whomever we draft this year doesnt work out.
I believe we MUST build the lines first. If we dont have a line NO QB will last and will look like a bust,so lets build the lines first and correctly.

Date: March 29, 2020 03:46PM

Also I would pass on Tua. Injury prone is the biggest reason. However if we do draft him then I. Wilson RT should be drafted to protect his blind side. Wilson is the best RT in the draft by far.
If we take A. Thomas LT 1st we can drop down maybe 1 or 2 spots and pick up more picks maybe for next year and still get Thomas.
This could be an offensive draft this year: Thomas,Swift,Wilson,Fromm,Biadasz,and Hamler. No one would see that coming lol

Date: March 29, 2020 03:46PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> That's all you can say. Unlike Tannehill who WE
> WE. WE, the Dolphins, HAD to trade. away, all you
> can point is one guy I wanted to draft.

Last time I checked Tanny was doing rather well. Hows Tyree doing? You picked him 1st over all no? grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 03:49PM

cedaphins Wrote:
> Thanks jlyell 13 I will look into those other
> players. Fromm vs Hurt is a toss up I chose Fromm
> cause he is more accurate. Wilson maybe a stretch
> but he is a very good pass blocker and run blocker
> and will be there along time fairly cheap same as
> Biadasz.
> I believe if we build the lines this year then we
> can go all in next year with Fields(OSU) or
> Lawrence(Clemson) if Fromm or whomever we draft
> this year doesnt work out.
> I believe we MUST build the lines first. If we
> dont have a line NO QB will last and will look
> like a bust,so lets build the lines first and
> correctly.

Very smart Ceda! Build those trenches and the rest will come!smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 04:23PM

Yeah, get the battery, the paint job, the windshield wipers, the carjack, the hubcaps and don't worry about the engine until later.

And once again, back to your "all I got is", aka Tyree. Why is Tanny NOT a dolphin. Where is your Tannehill jersey? Got the Titan Tannehill jersey yet???

Date: March 29, 2020 04:36PM

I believe your off Topic sir. Please refer to the forum rules.be respectful of everyone and thier opinions.

Thanks!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 04:59PM

No I responded to YOU going off topic FIRST with that Tyree comment YOU made FIRST. If Tyree, a never-Dolphin is a legitimate subject then certainly Tannehill, a former Dolphin,who you are objecting to me bringing up is certainly a legitimate topic. It is you who should be,disciplined by the standard you yourself now are laying down.

Date: March 29, 2020 05:19PM

The Topic is about QBs and the draft. Last time I checked Tyree Jackson was a QB in the NFL draft. Although a failed one. Please respect everyone here and keep it on topic. Thanks in advance.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 05:34PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> The Topic is about QBs

and the draft.

Last time I
> checked Tyree Jackson was a QB in the NFL draft.

> Although a failed one. Please respect everyone
> here and keep it on topic. Thanks in advance.....

RESPONSE: My comments WERE about QBs in the 2020 draft .........your shot at me was sbout a non-draftee in the 2019 draft.

Therefore you are the one who is OFF topic by that standard. It amazes me that you could think otherwise. And if the mods heed your request, it is YOU who they should be admonishing.

Date: March 29, 2020 05:57PM

And in fact.....despite YOU complaining about the SUBJECT...YOU started the fight. ....talking about in this very thread.

It's simple. If you see me post, don't take a shot like you did.

If you do, don't whine when you get hit back. The only ones who do that are babies.

I'm sure JC would agree with the proposition that the first one who goes personal, even attacking posting history, is in the wrong.

When you bring up Tyree, how can you get upset when I bring up Tannehill. Oh, I forgot...because you purchased a jersey.

Date: March 29, 2020 06:10PM

cedaphins Wrote:
> If we cant get Burrow I say we go a different
> route:
> 5- A. Thomas LT
> 18- X. McKinney or G. Delpit S
> 26- I. Wilson RT (Davis moves to RG)
> 39- J. Fromm QB
> 56- T.Biadasz C (Karras signed for 1 yr)
> 70- C. Akers RB
> 141- D. Hamilton NT (ours stinks)
> 153- J.Kelley RB
> 154- R. Lawrence DT (depth)
> 173- J. Mack LB
> 185- L. Barqoo CB
> 227- Q. Cephus WWR
> 246- M. Callaway WR
> 251- E. Robinson CB
> O-Line set,plenty of RB, and NT taken care of
> running will be harder for opponents

Back on Topic.....#5 for Thomas would improve this team instantly. I might go RB Swift though if hes still available at 18. Otherwise that would be a killer draft........thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 30, 2020 05:58AM

Chyren posted

"No GM considers himself to be "rolling the dice" when he makes ANY draft pick. Only people who hate the draft consider it to be a crap shoot."

Not sure on that. I agree most likely think they have did their homework but reality is , most are rolls of the dice as supported by the high number of bust picks, especially QB, and lower round or undrafted diamonds. Why the Pats and Seahawks tend to drop down and acquire picks, a better chance of finding a few diamonds

We have had decades of sub-par talent evaluation

Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers, Passing on Brees twice, Dion Jordan, Jonathan Martin, Ted Ginn!

IMO Tannehill did not show he was our franchise QB, no pocket presence, not great in the red zone, and couldn't throw the deep ball accurately . Think the Titans will find out in a year. we dont often see underachieving QB turn into stars after scenery changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 05:59AM by jlyell13.

Date: March 30, 2020 09:46AM

Yeah, they THINK on the surface that they are making a reasoned choice but would admit, upon cross examination that it's really a stab at seeing the future.

Date: March 30, 2020 11:00AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
>
>
>
> IMO Tannehill did not show he was our franchise
> QB, no pocket presence, not great in the red zone,
> and couldn't throw the deep ball accurately .
> Think the Titans will find out in a year. we dont
> often see underachieving QB turn into stars after
> scenery changes.

Kind of helps if you actually have a pocket for him to throw in? Tannehill was the perfect lab test if you look at it objectively. You take the same rat and place him in a bad environment, bad things happen. Take that rat and put him in a place to succeed, he flourishes.

I believe Flores knows this. The proof is right thier with a stamped FDA approval. The same QB in two different situations, 2 different results .

Miami now has to improve our team to give any future back a chance to succeed.

If they think that guy is in this years draft... rock on. Go get'em. But if your iffy on a few , and most are iffy in this draft....we got options. We can build that team for the next guy to come in and do what Tannehill has been able to do.We can finally see what Rosen can do with a decent Oline. See if Fitz has gas left in the tank.

Options. Dont be a desperate soul.Thats how mistakes happen and we have 20 yrs of that already.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 30, 2020 11:21AM

Jlyell said "no pocket presence" truer words were never spoken. Tannehill FROZE in the pocket. In TENNESSEE, what you are bragging about, TC, TANNEHILL IS NOT, NOT, NOT, I REPEAT NOT in the pocket maybe except for a quick drop back and throw. Look at them play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 11:38AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 30, 2020 11:29AM

Same results here and same results in tennessee. He stunk against kansas city when tennessee running game failed.

He lacks talent to lead a team.

The only way tannehill wins a superbowl is if the running game and defense plays lights out.

Dont expect any comebacks with his play.

Date: March 30, 2020 12:28PM

He Stunk? 11 points that the defense gave up in the 4th Quarter. He played well enough to win. Tannehill had many 50-60 yd receptions this past season. You havnt looked at any of that stats . None of the games. Tennessee didnt make him the highest paid QB in the NFL for a game manager. Thats just youur way of rationalizing you were WRONG about him Sam. WRONG.

Tannehill through for 4000 yds + here. Set rookie records. All with NO line , no coaching staff and a rooster that turned over every season. It was a no brainer once put in a stable situation he would flourish. BUT....I admit , even I didnt think he would take off like this. Holy shit.....Pro bowl best rated QB in the NFL?

No you are not giving him credit again where its due.

BUT put that behind us.......We cant let it happen to out next QB. Who ever that is will also need the defense and running game to play lights out to win . So did Dan Marino.....and thats why the best ever is ringless.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 30, 2020 02:01PM

Hopefully whoever qb we draft has more dan marino talent than tannehill talent.

Date: March 30, 2020 02:33PM

I don't know why you just don't become a Titan fan. Your favorite player plays for them. I don't think you're that big of a Rosen or Fitz fan and I truly doubt you will be THAT BIG a fan of any new QB the Dolphins draft in April.

Date: March 30, 2020 03:45PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Hopefully whoever qb we draft has more dan marino
> talent than tannehill talent.

I agree .
Only QB that has come close to that kind of field vision, quick release and accuracy is Patrick Mahomes. Next yrs projected #1 Trevor Lawrence is one of the most highly rated quarterback recruits ever, with multiple recruiting experts calling him a "once in a generation" type of player. If You want" Marino" that would be a good place to start.

This yr Burrows and Tua are the only polished enough players to start and TUA is a leap of faith. Grabbing "any QB" will just get you Rosen 2020.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.