HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Best available OL WR or LB
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Best available OL WR or LB
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 16, 2009 05:25PM

who do you think we would/should pick? Just think of our OL if we add first round talent at the OG or C position--we'd be a force for years to come. This assumes we don't let Carey walk which would be a mistake in my opinion. I am intrigued by Hakeem Nicks but don't see BP taking a WR #1 and we can get a good one in the 2d, but I don't think the same would be true for OL. As for LB, I think we'd be left with the 3d or 4th on the board, when we could end up with the top OG or C. So I guess I am saying I think we will take a guard or center with the #1 pick (if we let Carey go I think we almost have to think OT in the first, which is why I want to keep him).
This of course assumes Pat White is not available--lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best available OL WR or LB
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 16, 2009 05:35PM

LB is our biggest hole. Crowder will likely be gone. Ayodele is average at best. Porter is a good pass rusher, but not very good against the run. Roth was decent..but still an experiment at OLB.

As for O-line: we already have 2 1st rounders at tackle and 1 2nd rounder at Center. We also have 2 quality guards that should both be healthy next year. One was lauded as a possible Pro Bowler (Thomas) and the other was, arguably, our best O-Lineman last year (Smiley). I'm not saying we don't need depth, but we shouldn't spend ANOTHER 1st-rounder on the line.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 16, 2009 06:55PM

That's why we should sign Jason Brown so we could free up our options during the draft. He pretty much completes our starting O-line if we can re sign Carey too.

The we could go...

25 Laurinaitis
44 Hakim Nicks
56 Sean Smith

(I'm dreamin...I know)

If we don't sign Brown...

25 Max Unger
44 Clay Mathews
56 Sean Smith

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 17, 2009 01:23AM

There are some very good centers and guards available, and some will even drift into the second round. So no matter what, we'll be upgrading our line. What a relief. As far as #25 I really do think that we're going BPA, excluding WR. So whatever there's a run on early on, we'll be doing the opposite. If there's a run on O linemen, we'll pick up a talented DE or linebacker, and vice versa.

thumbs up

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 17, 2009 04:59AM

If we don't sign Brown...

There are 2 top tier CENTERS on the board at #25 MACK and UNGER then Caldwell and WOOD potential 2nd rounders.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2009 05:40AM

i bet we trade our first round pick!!

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 17, 2009 08:08AM

PICK #89 RAMSES BARDEN 6'6 225 4.55

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 17, 2009 08:27AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LB is our biggest hole. Crowder will likely be
> gone. Ayodele is average at best. Porter is a
> good pass rusher, but not very good against the
> run. Roth was decent..but still an experiment at
> OLB.

I have to disagree with you. If you take away all rushes out of the wildcat i would be surprised if we averaged 3 yards per carry. Personally i would guess bearly over 2. Our run game was terrible. Granted you would assume it is because we lost both of our starting guards but I am willing to spend first round money if it means that we will have a consistent run game.

> As for O-line: we already have 2 1st rounders at
> tackle and 1 2nd rounder at Center. We also have
> 2 quality guards that should both be healthy next
> year. One was lauded as a possible Pro Bowler
> (Thomas) and the other was, arguably, our best
> O-Lineman last year (Smiley). I'm not saying we
> don't need depth, but we shouldn't spend ANOTHER
> 1st-rounder on the line.

yeah you would think that at full strength we should have a strong running game but the way we play (ball control and defense) a strong run game is pivital to having consistent play and a deep playoff push. I dont want to leave things to chance. I dont think that the loss of crowder hurts us since he let up alot of big plays by taking poor angles. If needed i am sure that we can get an ILB later in the draft that can do as good a job if not better.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 17, 2009 09:11AM

Based on the team that finished 2008, I would say interior O-line is our number one priority. I agree with Reppa about our running game. We usually ran well out of the wildcat, but seldom ran well out of a standard formation. Our interior lineman were often beat at the point of attack. We are a team that needs to run well and play great defense in order to take the next step.

Other needs:
LB
DT

Obviously, our needs could change depending on who we add/lose in free agency; and we could lose several in our secondary.

I don't think WR is a huge need - unless Camarillo is not fully recovered. I like all 3 of our guys - Ginn, Bess and Camarillo (assuming he is fully recovered by next year). If London can start making some plays that would be great also. If not, we will need another player that can step in and help out. When Camarillo went down last year, we only had two WRs involved in the offense. That's not enough. I would use a mid to late pick on another WR, but not in round 1 unless someone very highly rated falls into our laps. In free agency, I would be interested in Lance Moore for the right price.

Regarding our WR's, the Pats won 3 Super Bowls with no better WR talent than we have right now. Keep in mind that neither Moss nor Welker have won rings with the Pats. The Pats won with guys like Patten, Givens, Branch and an aging Troy Brown. However, they had a much better o-line than we do currently, and their front seven was much better also. Those are the areas I would address: our o-line and our front seven. If we are young, strong and deep in those areas we will be contenders every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 09:13AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 20, 2009 03:49AM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 21, 2009 06:36AM

Did you notice Ron Brace's name is coming up a lot lately? He's menioned right up front in that article, also. Are we really looking for a NT?

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: February 22, 2009 05:11AM

Northeast Fin Fan:

"...Those are the areas I would address: our o-line and our front seven. If we are young, strong and deep in those areas we will be contenders every year."

I could not agree more. Well said.

On a side note: all this off season mental masterbation is great but I (as I am sure everyone else) sure do look forward to the games next year. The tough schedule will be a great thing for the talent on this team. Good for the long term.

My son is a Pittsburg fan and I think the phins play Pitt at home next year. That should be a great contest.

Date: February 23, 2009 05:28AM

Robert Ayers is now the top ranked DE according to Mayock...ahead of Everett Brown and Tyson Jackson. He can play DE, OLB and some teams are looking at him as a future DT. 6'-3" 270 lbs. Let's see how he runs today.

He ran a 4.80

.....................................................................................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 06:55AM by eesti.

Date: February 23, 2009 06:57AM

Aaron Maybin ran a 4.78 unofficial
Ron Brace ran a 5.47
Sammie Hill (NT) 5.11
Michael Johnson - 4.75
Everett Brown ran a 4.73

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 07:56AM by eesti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.