Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          We are kinda screwed! Who do we re-sign?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
We are kinda screwed! Who do we re-sign?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 13, 2009 04:42PM

The negotiator's are going at it full force for Vernon Carey. His agent says he will walk because the FO "does not like him that much." Posturing? Probably...but Jordan Gross was Franchised this week so the plan of signing him instead, for a little more is out the window.

Vernon Carey, Yeremiah Bell, Andre Goodman, Channing Crowder, Renaldo Hill and Al Johnson are all good players that we would like to keep (in that order) but the FO will not over spend for any of them.

There is a good market for FA CB's this year, pretty good for ILB's (Vilma) not so much for Safeties and Centers.

(Nnamdi Asomugha doesn't expect the Raiders to announce that they've franchise tagged him until "the last minute." Asomugha, who's been through five head coaches and was tagged last year, knows the process by now. Oakland has until February 19 to make the move).

Miami could get in a bidding war with a team like Pittsburgh if we don't sign Carey. Bell will be offered a big contract from someone if we don't sign him. Same for Goodman. Crowder will not be offered a huge contract but will be offered more than we will pay.

Carey is now the best FA tackle on the market. Bell is the 2nd best SS on the market (Jermaine Phillips). Goodman is somewhere in the top 5-10 best CB's. Hill is in the top 5-10 for FS's. Al Johnson is in the same boat and Crowder is in the top 5 ILB group but is younger than any of the top 10 ILB's.

Bell, Goodman, Hill and Johnson are less attractive due to age and injury history.

It should be interesting in the next few weeks.....

So knowing that and how the FO operates what do we do? One source says that Miami is unlikely to sign an offensive lineman in the first round but it would be nice to nab Max Unger, who can play every line position including LT, with 2a.

I like these guys for this years draft...

Max Unger (Mr versatility)
Hakim Nicks (good hand & route runner ala Reggie Wayne...NFL ready)
Sean Smith (the next Nnamdi?)
Juaqin Iglesias (chain mover)
Jeremy Maclin (NCAA record holder for all purpose yards in freshman year)
BJ Raji (true NT with up field potential)
Michael Oher (Best OT in draft)
Tyson Jackson (better than Marcus Spears)
Malcomb Jenkins (best CB in draft)
Clint Sintim (versatile 3-4 backer)
Gerald McRath (will grow into top ILcool smiley
Ron Brace (another true NT)

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We are kinda screwed! Who do we re-sign?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 13, 2009 06:58PM

We have to be aggressive about keeping Carey. He will leave a big hole (and big shoes to fill) if he leaves, and I'm sure Sparano understands the need for stability on the O-Line. If we can sign Carey, we'll go a long way to stabilizing that group (Long, Thomas, Satele, Carey, Smiley?).

As for Bell, I hate to see him go, but I'd keep Carey over him. I also think Goodman is replaceable, Crowder is gone, Hill shouldn't garner much as a FA, so we SHOULD be able to keep him.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 14, 2009 09:55AM

If we find ourselves in need of a big RT. 6'6 320

JASON WATKINS RT UF may be a terrific option in round 4

Date: February 15, 2009 05:19AM

If Carey is moving to Guard is he worth tackle money? He played RT and LT pretty well so I don't get the move. The problem is that he is the best LT in free agency and many teams need a good tackle. I think that with a new line coach, Carey will turn into a pro bowl RT. Another problem is he sees Long being the top paid lineman in the NFL.

The franchise price for a tackle is 8.45 mil. A top RT makes about 5.2 mil per year.

Damien Woody got a 5 year 25 mil deal from the Jets last year and was coming off a down year.

Kieth Davis signed a two year 3.5 mil deal last year with Miami.

James Farrior signed a 5 year 18.25 mil with 5 mil bonus recently.

These are the sort of deals our FA's will be looking for

Carey 5 year 27 mil.
Bell 3 year 9 mil
Goodman 3 year 12 mil
Hill 1 year 2 mil
Crowder 4 year 15 mil

We can also gain some space do something with Beck, Ndukewe, Anderson, Moses, Jason Allen & Holliday.

BP has said we will need to add 18 new players in 2009.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2009 06:22AM

well we will trade alot of them for some solid players, come on we will get peppers, scott, or leonard depends on who they keep. and prob a reciever, we will prob trade for a 1st round, deff a 2nd round, i mean our guys are cheap and bill always gets the better of the trades. so im not worried at all we can get away with corner, if a SOLID offense eats up the clock. dont panic we will be fine.

Date: February 15, 2009 04:54PM

Carey 5 year 27 mil. OK I see the value
Bell 3 year 9 mil YES YEREMIAH
Goodman 3 year 12 mil NO. UFA CB BRYANT MCFADDEN instead
Hill 1 year 2 mil Sure, But DRAFT SEAN SMITH #44
Crowder 4 year 15 mil NOPE. He'll get bigger offers for sure.

CAREY 3-15 5
BELL 3-12 4
McFADDEN 3- 12 4
BROWN 5-25 5
PEPPERS 3-12 4 ------> 22 MIL cap hit leaves 5-7 million-ish

draft

25-JAMES LAURENITIS ILB
44-SEAN SMITH FS/CB
57-HERMAN JOHNSON G
89-TERRENCE TAYLOR NT
122 JAQUIN IGLESIAS WR
154 DARRY BECKWITH

trade beck and satele for #119 (balt) - PAT WHITE QB/ WILDCAT

Date: February 15, 2009 06:55PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Carey 5 year 27 mil. OK I see the value
> Bell 3 year 9 mil YES YEREMIAH
> Goodman 3 year 12 mil NO. UFA CB BRYANT MCFADDEN
> instead
> Hill 1 year 2 mil Sure, But DRAFT SEAN SMITH
> #44
> Crowder 4 year 15 mil NOPE. He'll get bigger
> offers for sure.
>
> CAREY 3-15 5
> BELL 3-12 4
> McFADDEN 3- 12 4
> BROWN 5-25 5
> PEPPERS 3-12 4 ------> 22 MIL cap hit leaves
> 5-7 million-ish
>
> draft
>
> 25-JAMES LAURENITIS ILB
> 44-SEAN SMITH FS/CB
> 57-HERMAN JOHNSON G
> 89-TERRENCE TAYLOR NT
> 122 JAQUIN IGLESIAS WR
> 154 DARRY BECKWITH
>
> trade beck and satele for #119 (balt) - PAT WHITE
> QB/ WILDCAT

I agree...except for the part about trading Satele. Throwing that in makes no sense. Also, if we get White, then we'd have to make him our #2 QB so he could play the wildcat. That makes Henne #3. It makes no sense.

Date: February 15, 2009 07:47PM

Aside from Bell and Carey, I could see the rest go.

I think Bell will stay. A lot of reasons
- He's got a lot of question marks health wise.
- He's put up OK numbers, but not enough to be a hot commodity.
- The Phins need him as much or more than any other team.
- Bell knows he's a good fit here.

Bottom line, Bell isn't the kind of guy that will be offered a cap killing contract by anyone, and we want him back enough to match any non-cap killing contract.

As for Vernon Carey... unless some team is really desperate for a LT, then he'll stay as well. First thing is that he's from FL, so all RT tackle offers equal, he stays. And anyone that has seen Vernon at LT up close will know he isn't LT quality. But there is always Detroit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 07:49PM by ghotirule.

Date: February 16, 2009 05:14AM

Date: February 16, 2009 10:20AM

I take back my stance on FA CB's this year....we should re sign Goodman and draft competition.

There are none that can come in an contribute as well as Goodman. He knows the system. None are much younger than Andre either. Dunta Robinson is too risky and wants 23 mil guaranteed. Nnamdi will not be available but if he is I would love to have him.

Date: February 16, 2009 05:56PM

Date: February 16, 2009 06:42PM

agreed. I think Carey is viewed as a RT who can switch in a pinch which also increases his value. He is also young and experienced in several different schemes.

We could always franchise him to get more time on a deal or trade him later if we can't get it worked out. We don't have to hold out for a 1st and 3rd but could maybe get another second rounder this year and a conditional first day pick next year.

His value may increase on draft day if a team needs a starting tackle and there are none left in the 2nd round.

All these teams need tackles....

Detroit 33
KC 34
Rams 35
Cincy 38
Jax 39
Oak 40
49ers 43
Bears 49
Bucs 50
Eagles 52

The problem is we would have to take one at 25. We should just bite the bullet and sign him.

Date: February 17, 2009 02:36AM

eesti Wrote:
> The problem is we would have to take one at 25.
> We should just bite the bullet and sign him.

Agreed. If we are to build chemistry, we have to keep changes to a minimum. Carey is a Miami boy, having played his entire football career in Miami, so we SHOULD have some leverage over other teams. I think we'll be hurting ourselves by letting him go. It makes me think of when we let Todd Wade leave. He wasn't the greatest LT, but he left a HUGE hole that took MANY years to fill. I honestly don't know what happened to him when he left Miami. He showed so much potential here.

Date: February 17, 2009 04:39AM

yeah keeping SATELE means depth. which is good. But if we dont sign a CENTER, everything changes.

Date: February 17, 2009 05:22AM

Todd Wade played RT and left in FA for Houston where he played for a few years and was released after a short disappointing stay.

Date: February 17, 2009 07:25AM

eesti Wrote:
> Todd Wade played RT and left in FA for Houston
> where he played for a few years and was released
> after a short disappointing stay.

I thought it was LT. Either way, I know the rest. That was my point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.