HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Props to Grier!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Props to Grier!
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: May 21, 2019 03:24PM

I've been ragging on Chris Grier for years now.
Complaining about the lack-luster drafts he's been involved with since we took Tanny #8 overall, instead of Luke Keuchly and Russle Wilson(angry smileycould have had them both!!!).
But I really like what I've seen in Grier so far, since he's had complete control of things:
Dumping Gase and hiring Flores was a beyond excellent move.
The draft picks Grier made this year were all very solid, knowing we're not solving all our problems with just 1 draft.
And most impressive, he stole Josh Rosen from AZ for a very late 2nd rounder, right after adding another 2nd in 2020 from the Saints!
Well done Mr. Grier!!
It's been quite a while since I've felt any glimmer of optimism towards my phins. I kinda forgot what it felt like.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Props to Grier!
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:37AM

I agree. Obviously the moves have to prove out over time - and no one bats 1.000. But it feels good to at least sense that we have a plan & approach that makes sense and seems to point toward success.

- the coaching staff seems to have a vision, but lacks experience...so we have some seasoned in-house consultants to fill that gap
- at least per Flores' words, there's competition at every position
- there seems, again, at least in words, to be a focus on getting the most out of players with scheme flexibility vs. forcing the scheme rather than maximizing player effectiveness.
- X Howard's contract is a statement about how the team plans to take care of good players they find & develop. I love how the contract seems to take care of (at least seemingly) one of the best CBs in the league...but also leaves room for the team if he doesn't sustain elite-ness.
- also related to X, I like how premium resources were directed to premium young talent at a premium position. Checking overthecap.com, I see 3 of our top 7 cap value contracts going for (a) 2 players that play the same position and (b) a slot CB...when we drafted a player who was perhaps the best slot defender in the league last year. A 4th in the top 5 is for a starting LB who - if released - wouldn't be in any other team's top 5.
- as has been mentioned by at least one reporter (can't remember which one) - the Rosen deal, at worst, gets us a legitimate, cost-effective back-up for the next several years. I won't pretend to know or allow myself to get too optimistic about his potential upside, but that particular deal was the kind we have perennially been on the wrong side of.

I'd expand on the "we're not solving all our problems with just 1 draft" to "we're not solving all of our problems with just 1 offseason".

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: May 22, 2019 03:05AM

I agree. I think Grier has done a good job. He appears to be very methodical in his approach which I appreciate.

I think Flores coaching style is going to be night-n-day better than Gase. I think the addition of Caldwell to the staff is going to be beneficial. for defense, the whole "Wide 9" scheme always seemed like crap to me. Couldn't stop the run, couldn't pressure the QB

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 22, 2019 04:38AM

Yep Im actually feeling good w/ the position Grier has us in. QB postion improved, o-line improved. Mix of good and young players. I like thy guys we drafted, UDA free agents and guys from that league that folded. Big IF is the Rosen move, I like the guy. If he pans out could we be in the AFC chamionship in 3 years?? I hope so.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: May 22, 2019 02:52PM

I really like the changes this off season from the top on down. Grier has paid some dues having to have worked with examples of how NOT to run a football team. I'm willing to be patient to see how everything works out in the next 2-3 years as I'm well aware that a complete overhaul takes time to be effective.

It's nice to have some hope after so long that this team has a chance to succeed by having a vision and a plan to move forward. So refreshing to see this. And although Flores is new at this HC gig he seems to know what it's about - Bringing in Caldwell was one of the smartest moves I've seen so far by any inexperienced HC that we've had on board here.

By the time Miami has the roster it needs to be consistently competitive, Brady will be heading out the door and possibly BB with him as well. I'm hoping Miami will be the force to be reckoned with in the AFC East and depending on how everything works out that could very well happen in a few years.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 23, 2019 01:59AM

Agree 100% 808.

Not sure how all of this will turn out but I feel good about it right now. Im hoping Flores is the right coach for Rosen. Rosen is a very intelligent guy and so is our HC. The concern I have with Rosen is his questioning everything. Questioning is ok, but I hope by mid season or near the end that he is 'getting it'. How quick is it for him to 'get it' and convert 'it' to success.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 23, 2019 09:48AM

socalphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been ragging on Chris Grier for years now.
> Complaining about the lack-luster drafts he's been
> involved with since we took Tanny #8 overall,
> instead of Luke Keuchly and Russle Wilson(angry smileycould
> have had them both!!!).
> But I really like what I've seen in Grier so far,
> since he's had complete control of things:
> Dumping Gase and hiring Flores was a beyond
> excellent move.
> The draft picks Grier made this year were all very
> solid, knowing we're not solving all our problems
> with just 1 draft.
> And most impressive, he stole Josh Rosen from AZ
> for a very late 2nd rounder, right after adding
> another 2nd in 2020 from the Saints!
> Well done Mr. Grier!!
> It's been quite a while since I've felt any
> glimmer of optimism towards my phins. I kinda
> forgot what it felt like.

Don't be surprised if Miami surpasses all the thoughts and predictions in the 2019 season. "On paper" they are strengthening the team. If Rosen plays well, and the above happens, Miami will not be in the top 5 of the draft in 2020.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 24, 2019 06:57AM

Date: May 24, 2019 06:57AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> captkoi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > socalphin Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I've been ragging on Chris Grier for years
> now.
> >
> > > Complaining about the lack-luster drafts he's
> > been
> > > involved with since we took Tanny #8 overall,
> > > instead of Luke Keuchly and Russle
> > Wilson(angry smileycould
> > > have had them both!!!).
> > > But I really like what I've seen in Grier so
> > far,
> > > since he's had complete control of things:
> > > Dumping Gase and hiring Flores was a beyond
> > > excellent move.
> > > The draft picks Grier made this year were all
> > very
> > > solid, knowing we're not solving all our
> > problems
> > > with just 1 draft.
> > > And most impressive, he stole Josh Rosen from
> > AZ
> > > for a very late 2nd rounder, right after
> adding
> > > another 2nd in 2020 from the Saints!
> > > Well done Mr. Grier!!
> > > It's been quite a while since I've felt any
> > > glimmer of optimism towards my phins. I kinda
> > > forgot what it felt like.
> >
> >
> **************************************************
>
> > *******
> >
> > Don't be surprised if Miami surpasses all the
> > thoughts and predictions in the 2019 season.
> "On
> > paper" they are strengthening the team. If
> Rosen
> > plays well, and the above happens, Miami will
> not
> > be in the top 5 of the draft in 2020.
>

ANSWER from sam
>
> If it indeed happens and we cant get tua or a top
> flier qb next year then the same story will repeat
> itself.
>
> We will end up every year just good enough to miss
> playoffs and pick around 20ish in every round
> every year.
>
> The cards let go of rosen for a reason.
>
> I dont have faith in rosen.
>
> The bearded one is a one or two years wonder.
>
> We will be as good as we were with tannehill
>
> MEANING NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN IN THIS LEAGUE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 06:58AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 24, 2019 06:22PM

Saw him play at UCLA. The system our ownership played Tannehill in was more suited to Rosen.

Now we'd just better hope that our administration does not "complete the circle" of their own mistakes and decide "Hey, maybe we should force Rosen into playing a run and gun read option type offense." LOL. (but I'd really be crying real tears.)

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: May 25, 2019 01:00PM

> > The cards let go of rosen for a reason.
> >
> > I dont have faith in rosen.
> >
> > The bearded one is a one or two years wonder.

Yeah. The reason is AZ's front office is a joke.
I'd rather have Rosen over a 5'9", 160lb running threat QB, won't look nearly as fast in the NFL.
Instead of wasting a #10 over-all pick(that they traded up for) by giving up on him after one year, they should have built around him.

Book it: The writing is on the wall for Steve Keim. He'll be out of the league before Rosen is.

Judging Rosen from his rookie year is a way short sighted.

Behind a swiss cheese O-line made up of 2nd and 3rd string scrubs, and having the OC replaced mid-season, would make any top-10 QB look horrible.

I get why you have no optimism in anything the Dolphins do in finding a legit franchise QB. But this is the best stab at it they've made in over a decade.

Date: May 28, 2019 05:21AM

Hope you right.

Date: May 28, 2019 09:47AM

Also we will see if the 5'9 qb arizona took in the first round develops or not.

They either become the laughing stock of the nfl or they become a dynasty with a superstar qb.

Remains to be seen.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 28, 2019 04:17PM

Well SoCal, I vouch for Rosen. I watched him play at UCLA.

But as far as Kyler Murray is concerned, like I said when everyone was talking him down because of his size, "People who have been told no all their lives have a funny way of forcing yes down the world's throat."

Bias also, as to him, being that he comes from Oklahoma.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.