Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Will The Dolphins look to build the lines in the draft again?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Will The Dolphins look to build the lines in the draft again?
Posted by: Miami Troy ()
Date: February 07, 2009 06:15PM

Last year it worked for a big improvement. I believe games are won in the trenches and this year more Line upgrades are needed. I would like to see 3 or 4 O Lineman picked. We've got the Backs, We ned more bulldozers to clear the way. Some more young DT's and DE's would be good too. 2 picks can go for a WR and a CB or LB, the rest can be lineman so we can dominate other teams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will The Dolphins look to build the lines in the draft again?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 07, 2009 08:44PM

Have you seen our defensive starting lineup for this year as of today?

FS Courtney Bryan
SS Tyrone Culver
CB Will Allen
CB Jason Allen
ILB Torbor
ILB Ayodele

We need LB's and lots of them...at least two new starters this year and even more if you look at Joey's age and the depth we have...or lack of.

Our Offensive line...

LT Long
LG Smiley/Satele/Murphy
C Johnson/Satele (Brown?)
RG Thomas
RT ????? (Carey)

Now obviously we will sign some of our FA's this year but it is looking like Carey is the most likely so I think we need way more help on defense but we do need an upgrade at center.

I am not as worried about the O line since we were hit with injuries last year and lost our two starting guards which we will get back and both of whom are quality starters.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 06:41AM by eesti.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 08, 2009 02:56AM

You need to include Thomas ahead of Murphy on the O-Line. He's healthy now and will be back for TC.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 08, 2009 04:13AM

yes

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 08, 2009 04:25AM

You can't count on Smiley at this point. He's finished each of the last 2 seasons on IR. In 2007, it was a shoulder injury. In 2008, it was the broken leg and ligament damage. But, he's also had shoulder surgery since the end of the season because it was hurting him before the leg injury. The ligament damage also complicates his return. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a C fairly high, with the possibility of moving Satele to G as depth.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 08, 2009 06:18AM

C ALEX MACK would fit the smash mouth brand of football we want to play
G HERMAN JOHNSON is looking like a 3rd rounder these days.
RT JASON WATKINS would make a terrific selection in the 4th round.

That would leave the 2 second rounders for defense...#44 & #57 who would you take?

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 08, 2009 07:57AM

I agree that this draft will just be an extension of last year's draft, picking up where we left off. After 08 draft, I assumted we were set on the lines, we were going to run the ball up the gut and our D will stop the run. I figured (wrongly at the time) that the following year the focus would be on skill players. But then we watched the season play out, and it was obvious we struggled to run and stop the run. So more foundation work is needed. Not saying we won't draft a WR, but it won't be the first two picks and may not be the first three either. (Despite what Parcells said about "firepower."winking smiley

Running: O line needs help, and some planning, because we don't know what will happen with Carey and Satele. We might pick up a center or tackle and move those guys into the guard position. But "3-4" guys we don't need.

Stopping the run: ILB should be a priority. A quality linebacker who is also excellent in dropping into coverage besides stuffing the run would be great.

If we're lucky, the right players in those need positions will drop to us. If we're unlucky, they won't, and then it's BPA at 25.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 08, 2009 08:02AM

yeah....I meant Thomas (edited).

I really can't get a good handle on Mack. Some say he is great and will go as high as Minnesota @ 22, others have him dropping into the second round. Mayock has him rated as the #3 Center with Wood as number 1 and others say Mack is better prospect than Kalil and Mangold. Mayock has been spot on for the last couple years.

On one mock, they have Mack going to Minnesota at 22 and Macklin falling to Baltimore @ 26 with us taking Duke Robinson. This seems highly unlikely as Macklin will go much much higher. If he is there we have to take him.

Another mocks have Mack going at 11 to Buffalo, 32 to Pit, 31 to Arizona and others have him falling to the second round.

I just wonder who the surprise pick will be ala Kendall Langford who was not really on the radar and who will drop that we will get ala Phillip Merling.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 08:08AM by eesti.

Date: February 08, 2009 09:08AM

Mack will go the first round, and I can't see how Mayock rates him as number 3. He's the best center in the draft. But he's not perfect and he struggled against big linemen at the bowl according to what I read. There's that eternal question mark with rookies...how will they translate to the nfl? What's the guarantee he'll be better than Satele?

Honestly, I'd rather keep Satele where he is and pick up a guard like Robinson or Levitre or Johnson, who are outstanding at their positions.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 08, 2009 10:51AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mack will go the first round, and I can't see how
> Mayock rates him as number 3. He's the best
> center in the draft. But he's not perfect and he
> struggled against big linemen at the bowl
> according to what I read.
Right. And, isn't that what they're saying about Satele now?

>
> Honestly, I'd rather keep Satele where he is and
> pick up a guard like Robinson or Levitre or
> Johnson, who are outstanding at their positions.
Agreed. Decent Guards are easier the come by than Centers. It's a much less complex position to play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 10:52AM by montequi.

Date: February 08, 2009 11:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.