HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Matt Cassel franchised -what's next?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Matt Cassel franchised -what's next?
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:07AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matt Cassel franchised -what's next?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:30AM

I say this with a smile and a joy about my soul:

I dont really care what the Patriots do. They are not the Patriots of the early 2000's and it seems they are getting worse and worse as years go by which makes me really, really.....happy! smiling bouncing smiley

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 06, 2009 03:43AM

I agree that they are not the team of 5 years ago, but they are still our toughest competition in the division and have already been pegged as 2009 Super Bowl favorites by Vegas.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:55AM

Cassel is an insurance policy. It really was the only they could do (franchise tag). If Brady comes back healthy I think they will settle and deal him for a number 1 pick and then groom O'Connel for the number 2 job. If not then he will play until Brady is healthy.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 06, 2009 04:07AM

Are you thinking a 2010 (or later) draft pick?

Date: February 06, 2009 04:53AM

I would guess that depends on the status of Brady and how soon he can get a clean bill of health. If healthy, I think they get a 1st rounder in 09...if he is not healthy enough by the draft for them to make an accurate prognosis then they get one in 2010.

The good part is that team will be wary of giving up a high pick for him because of the "system" issue. Who really needs a QB that bad?

Detroit, they still have Culpepper and Kitna.
Jets...yes, but will they deal to a division rival?
Kansas City...maybe but Thigpen showed promise.
Vikings...they do run a west coast offense.
Bears...not likely..they are stubborn and cheap.
Bucs...who know what the new staff will do?
49ers? definite need there

With any luck, Brady does not get healthy untill the 2nd or 3rd week of the season and they have no takers for Cassel and get stuck with him sitting on the bench. Then thay have a 14.6 cap hit for Cassel and another 14.6 in Brady....nice.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 06, 2009 05:04AM

It would seem likely that the Pats will hold onto Cassel until they know the real status of Brady's health, which will probably be mid to late summer. If that's true, any draft picks they get will be in 2010 or later.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: February 06, 2009 05:37AM

I also have the feeling the pats were uncertain of Brady's health status for 2010, thus they were forced to franchise Cassell. Their 3rd string qb Matt Gutierrez, is not very good.

Date: February 06, 2009 05:54AM

They also have the option (not highly likely) of signing Cassel to a long term deal and trading him later.

Kevin O'Connel may offer more potential than Gutierrez.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: February 11, 2009 04:03PM

I don't know if anyone else notice this, but Cassell signed the franchise tag. His $14.65M Salary is guarenteed. So the Patriots have to either trade him and deal with Salary and cap space.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:12AM

ill tell ya whats NEXT MIAMI DOLPHINS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS 2009 WHOOOOOHOOOO they will trade brady thats what is next. and get twofirst round picks in the 2010 or 11 season's

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 13, 2009 11:13AM

Before we laugh too hard at the Pats for QB salary hit, I'd think we have a healthy tab ourselves with the top 3 we have on the roster.

I think we may end up releasing one of the younger guys this year, but have a lot more flexibility than GB does with less risk or time pressure.

Date: February 13, 2009 11:28AM

We got our QB's at bargain basement prices as far as QB's are concerned.

Penne 2 year 11.5 mil
Henne 4 year 3.5 mil
Beck 4 year 4.5 mil

Brady 6 year 60 mil (14.6 mil cap hit)
Cassel 1 year 14.65 mil

Thats 29.25M for NE for two QB's to our 19.5 for three QB's.

and who is GB?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 11:43AM by eesti.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 13, 2009 11:45AM

Date: February 13, 2009 01:35PM

How does Beck make that little? Because of the signing bonus?

Date: February 13, 2009 02:00PM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 13, 2009 03:17PM

All this mean is they do not believe brady will be ready next year.

Date: February 13, 2009 03:18PM

Beck makes $519,000 as base salary plus $563,000 amortized bonus for a total cap hit of 1.082 million. FA after 2010.

Henne makes 295k as base salary plus 375k amortized bonus for a total cap hit of $670,000. FA after 2011.

Pennington makes 3.9 million as base salary plus 500k amortized bonus for a total cap hit of 4.4 million. FA after 2009.

WOW...you know they are working on a deal for Beck with that salary. That's almost twice as much as Henne just to hold a clipboard as 3rd string?

He is a FA in two years and will be 28 this year....I hope Jerry Jones is still enamored with him. The Vikings, Lions, Chiefs and Jets are all in need of a QB. Surely we could get a 3rd or 4th rounder on draft day for him...if not maybe he looks good in preseason and we get a 2nd rounder in 2010.

Some teams are just in need of a 2nd string QB that could eventually start. There were several teams that were rumored to want him back in 07.

It would be awesome if we ended up with three 2nd round picks or two 3rd round picks this year!

After what I read about Dolphins philosophy I have doubts that we will sign more than 2 of our FA's this year. It's just not worth over spending for our 30+ year old secondary guys or an above average MLB. We may just end up signing Carey (hometown discount)..

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 04:45PM by eesti.

Date: February 13, 2009 03:30PM

it makes sense to trade beck prob for a 3rd round must be nice

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 13, 2009 07:01PM

victorygogan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it makes sense to trade beck prob for a 3rd round
> must be nice

I'd take a 4th or even a couple lower picks. He's doing nothing now but watching his value diminish as his age increases. It's not likely he's going to get a chance to play in Miami. I wouldn't be against a trade to the Jets, if it came to that.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 14, 2009 03:24AM

I have a question, since they francised cassel if they find a trading partner does the other team have to pay the 14+ mill or can they restructure the deal? If they have to cough up that much cash who will pay that plus what is the starting bid for a franchised guy like a first rounder and some change. Who is that dumb.

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> In this scenario one, the Pats would get one or
> more high picks for a journeyman QB that
> greatly benefited from being in a high octane
> offense throwing to Welker and Moss (who has been
> described on this site as "the human stat
> inflator" - sorry, I can't remember who to give
> credit to for that).

If you are looking to give credit, please look no further...grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 03:34AM by Miami Reppa.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 14, 2009 03:33AM

What I think will happen: Bella cheat is so arogant that I do not think that they believe they need cassel as a security blanket in case brady is not ready. What was cassel before this year? He was the same as what o'connell and guterrez is now. I dont think that New england wil hold on to cassel through the 2009 season since it is obvious that he will depreciate by not playing and they will absorb the big salary hit. Bella cheat and staff are very crafty. I believe their plan, ofcourse, was to first buy time (forced to franchise cassel). They will deal cassel to the highest bidder, obviously ask for first rounder plus extra but in the end they will take what ever they can get (that would include only a second round pick if they have to- wont happen but they will take what they can get). In the end either cassel or brady will be gone, and I would not be surprised if this happens by draft time. Whats interesting is that if brady were healthy I dont rule out them thinking about how much they could get for him.

If brady cant go they will just plug any of the other two jokers in their and keep rollin. Please keep in mind that the pats completed a perfect regular season and finished with a 18-1 record in 2007 and followed it up with a 11-5 season without their HOF qb. The pats are as good now as they were at anytime this decade, in my opinion better. As much as I would love to see them take that major hit and have cassel lose value holding a clip board you can bet your bottom dollar that they wont let that happen.

Date: February 14, 2009 05:54AM

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: February 15, 2009 02:02PM

> Whoever takes him on in a trade would assume the
> 14+ mill salary for this year.
>
> They can then extend him and restructure the deal
> to lower his cap hit this year.
>
> The paper work on both would probably be done at
> the same time if the team didn't have the cap
> space to fit him in at the franchise tag level.

Yes exactly. I think the Cassel situation is very interesting from a strategy stand point. He is probably the first real case of someone who isn't worth his franchise tender. (He was estimated to make $8-10 million/year at season, However the economy has changed since then) Cassle jump at his overpayment and guarenteed him self $14.65 Million. I think he is the only play to sigh his franshise contract before the beginning of free agency The Patriot are gambling thy can something for him or atleast over pay until they figure out the Brady situation. As a Dolphin fan I would love the see the Patriot get stuck with him and his salarly for the year and have to figure out what to do next year again.

Date: February 15, 2009 06:58PM

dgoodhue Wrote:
> As a Dolphin fan I would
> love the see the Patriot get stuck with him and
> his salarly for the year and have to figure out
> what to do next year again.

Yep! Kind of like the Pats having to swallow their own poison pill drinking smiley

Date: February 15, 2009 07:38PM

What's next? We kick the cheaters arses again next year - that's what's next.

Date: February 18, 2009 11:56AM

So Brady breaks the news that he is fully healthy and will be ready to go for the start of the season.

I believe this was a choreographed statement by the Pats. I am sure that the Pats were asking an arm and a leg for Cassell in a trade. Since there haven't been any takers to date, the Pats are now anxious to deal him to the best possible suitor prior to start of the free agent signing period. Trading Cassell will free up $14.65 million in cap space for the coming year, and there is no better time to have that money than at the start of free agent signings. By coming out now and saying that Brady will be ready to go, the Pats are in one way admitting defeat (they won't get the king's ransom for Cassell that they were hoping to get); however they will consider it a victory if they can get a couple of good picks (maybe a 2nd and 3rd rounder) and still have most of the $14.65 million in cap space to use in free agency.

Date: February 18, 2009 12:06PM

or they get stuck with him and 28 million in cap hits for 2 QB's and they don't have enough money to sign any free agents or their 1st round pick who holds out. thumbs up

Date: February 18, 2009 12:59PM

That would be awesome.

Date: February 18, 2009 05:42PM

Let's hope there are no takers for Cassell. By franchising him they made him a very expensive option for any team. I, personally, think any team would be stupid to trade for him. The guy was good for a few games, and was obviously helped by a favorable system. I see A.J.Feely all over again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.