HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Vontae Davis quits AT HALFTIME today
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Vontae Davis quits AT HALFTIME today
Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 16, 2018 04:23PM

I had a feeling something was off with this guy when he reportedly showed up hungover for practice back when he was a Phin.

To his credit, he lasted a good number of years in the league after that incident with the Colts.

But to now quit and retire during halftime shortly after getting a new contract with the Bills that included a signing bonus? I don't get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 04:23PM by JC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vontae Davis quits AT HALFTIME today
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: September 16, 2018 04:40PM

Glad we got rid of him when he still had "value"

Date: September 16, 2018 04:45PM

BTW, someone on twitter was asking whether he called his Grandma first. I'd forgotten all about that, from when we got rid of him.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 16, 2018 05:18PM

This is no joke??????????????????? He actually retired at half time of a game in which he was suited up??????????????????????????????

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 02:27AM

I have no problem with Davis, it is what it is. New era w/ new players. Anyone with kids knows things are different these days. More of this will come get use to it.

Its America people are free. Davis announced his retirement, terminated his contract the lawyers will handle the business.

He paid his dues and could retire anytime he wished too.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 17, 2018 05:11AM

Hmm. A young guy with dough...I hope he "retires" wisely, finds a fun job that suits him and can enjoy his time after football.

Date: September 17, 2018 11:36AM

Mizzou, I'm not questioning his RIGHT. That's not the issue but don't you think it is a sign of mental health issues when he does it at HALFTIME????? I mean after the game or before the game ..... either of those would have been normal.but HALFTIME??????

You guys don't see that as ABSOLUTELY bizarre.

How come these cashews always end up with us???? Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito, Pouncey. Are we running a team or a sanitorium?

Date: September 17, 2018 02:46PM

What's so incredulous about someone giving his notice, a guy breaking his contract? Happens everyday. These guys see guys get injured every week, carted off the field, concussion protocol etc. This guy simply said as of this moment I have had it. I cannot give 100% anymore. He was not performing surgery, fighting a fire, piloting a plan or fighting beside comrades in a firefight. He was in his 10th year of playing a violent sport and his fire went out.

Do I understand it, no but I have never been in his position.
Guy has been banging his head in the nfl for 9 years maybe something is wrong w/ him. Do fans give a *&^%, no. Glad to see this guy giving a (*&^ about himself, no one else does.

NFL players posses the talent, guts and courage that 99% of the fans and head coaches do not have. If this guy was ready to throw in the towel so be it. Pink panties sob's curse them and whine but they pay the price. Saw Rex Ryan crying and wailing what an atrocity Davis committed. This sorry sob could not even get a DIV 1AA scholie. If he showed up at an nfl training camp after he graduated from that Okie school he attended they would have stopped him at the gate and laughed in his face.

If you have not shared in the sacrifice your opinion really does not mean much on the matter.

Its not bizarre its sanity. Before the game, after the game in the middle? It was his call he made it and the world is still spinning.

He quit.

Date: September 17, 2018 03:31PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> If you have not shared in the sacrifice your
> opinion really does not mean much on the matter.
>

OK then, everybody's opinion on this forum's really does not mean much on ANY topic, because I don't think we have any active NFL players, or NFL alums registered here. (although I could be wrong? who's out there?)

> Its not bizarre its sanity.

Well, then Vontae must be the only sane player ever to play in the NFL, and everyone else is bizarre. He's the only one to ever resign at halftime. So he's the sane one.

I'm just joshing you, Mizzou. Everybody was talking about this at work today. Probably to divert attention from the Pats losing, as I'm in the Boston area.

Date: September 17, 2018 03:44PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> What's so incredulous about someone giving his
> notice, a guy breaking his contract? Happens
> everyday. These guys see guys get injured every
> week, carted off the field, concussion protocol
> etc. This guy simply said as of this moment I have
> had it.

AGAIN, the point is that he did it at HALFTIME!!!!! If you don't see that as bizarre, then there is something wrong with ONE OF US.

I cannot give 100% anymore. He was not
> performing surgery, fighting a fire, piloting a
> plan or fighting beside comrades in a firefight.

AGAIN, the point is WHEN he did it, not what he did.

> He was in his 10th year of playing a violent sport
> and his fire went out.
>
> Do I understand it, no but I have never been in
> his position.

Yeah but in the history of pro football about a thousand players have been in that position and none have EVER quit at HALFTIME!

> Guy has been banging his head in the nfl for 9
> years maybe something is wrong w/ him. Do fans
> give a *&^%, no. Glad to see this guy giving a
> (*&^ about himself, no one else does.
>
> NFL players posses the talent, guts and courage
> that 99% of the fans and head coaches do not have.

Again, the issue is SANITY....not courage

> If this guy was ready to throw in the towel so be
> it. Pink panties sob's curse them and whine but
> they pay the price. Saw Rex Ryan crying and
> wailing what an atrocity Davis committed. This
> sorry sob could not even get a DIV 1AA scholie.

Again, you're missing the point.
If
> he showed up at an nfl training camp after he
> graduated from that Okie school he attended they
> would have stopped him at the gate and laughed in
> his face.
>
> If you have not shared in the sacrifice your
> opinion really does not mean much on the matter.

Whoa, I was playing football about 20 years before you were born even if it was in Okie-land.
>
> Its not bizarre its sanity. Before the game, after
> the game in the middle?

RESPONSE: IT was crazy.

It was his call he made it
> and the world is still spinning.
>
> He quit.

RESPONSE: It was crazy, crazy, crazy!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 19, 2018 05:06AM

I guess vontae is not in his right state of mind.

Best job in the world when you get paid millions to play a game.

Some people dont appresiate what they have.

Imagine if he had to work in construction for 10 bucks an hour.

Again, he is not thinking straight.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: September 19, 2018 05:27AM

I believe he planned it all along. Mentally he was finished with football but he wanted his last big headline. So, since it had never been done before he went for it. SPLASH, huge headline for him. If he just retires or even fakes a hamstring injury, his story is a side note. It's a shame for all of his teammates, they deserve more respect than that, to bad he was a good player at one time.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 19, 2018 05:39AM

I get what mizzou is saying. People walk off the job every day.

Just so happens that he's the 1st NFL player in history to do it at halftime so I guess that's what makes it seem a bit bizarre, because that's not the norm in the NFL.

I give Davis credit for knowing when he had enough. He probably knew his team was going to lose anyway so why put himself at more risk for nothing? If he knew he reached his limit and could no longer give 100% then he surely did the right thing. His team should be happy knowing that they're not going to pay someone who can't give it his all. As Dirty Harry said..."A mans' got to know his limitations".

Date: September 19, 2018 10:47AM

Astro, you and JC are the only ones who get it. It is the timing, not the retirement itself.

Date: September 19, 2018 11:39AM

Its nothing to get. You want to make drama because that is what you want. Guy simply said he had enough and quit. If he quit before the game that would have been a story, he quits after the game that would have been a story. If this guy quit at halftime showered, took a cab to the airport and flew off thats his business. This story is just a side note. Only people who are making a deal about it are the drama seekers.

You should read Sean McDermotts comments

Date: September 19, 2018 12:26PM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 20, 2018 03:35PM

Why not at halftime? The timing means squat. Before, during, or after - It doesn't matter. He had enough and that was it.

People clock out and quit their jobs during their shifts every day, and playing in the NFL is just another job. Why should the NFL be looked at differently than any other job? Why is he crazy but not everyone else for quitting their jobs halfway through their shifts? What he did doesn't shock me at all.

Date: September 20, 2018 06:30PM

Just not the same as quitting at or after lunch time at an ordinary job. Not close. Maybe we should just do a poll on who THINKS it was weird.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 20, 2018 07:50PM

If you take his salary and his stage out of the equation it is really no different.

I personally would have finished the game because I would have valued the commitment I made to my teammates.

I think that he felt he was not himself as he said, that meant that he was hurting his teammates by continuing to play when he was not up to his normal standard. I would not have felt that way but that's me...I hope he enjoys his retirement and I wish him well.

Date: September 20, 2018 09:05PM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 20, 2018 09:58PM

I just think that the statement he gave is the truth as he sees it.

"I didn't feel right, I didn't feel like myself. I went to the bench after that series and it just hit me," Davis said. "I don't belong on that field anymore. My intention was not to hurt my teammates," Davis said. "In that moment, my intuition was telling me I don't belong on that field anymore."

"I didn't expect them to understand," Davis said. "That moment was shocking to me as well."

"Leaving was therapeutic," Davis said. "I left everything the league wanted me to be, playing for my teammates while injured, the gladiator mentality, it all just popped. And when it popped, I just wanted to leave it all behind. So that's why I don't care what people say. That experience was personal and not meant for anyone else to understand. It was me cold turkey leaving behind an identity that I carried with me for so long."

From his statements, the come to Jesus moment you state sounds to me like exactly what happened. I don't think there was really any further statement to be made...could be wrong though.

Date: September 21, 2018 10:39AM

Date: September 21, 2018 02:09PM

Ken Wrote:

>
> I personally would have finished the game because
> I would have valued the commitment I made to my
> teammates.
>

So would I have. And, so has every single player who has ever been in the NFL up until now. That's why this is a unique topic to discuss. First time it's ever happened.

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: September 22, 2018 07:15AM

In terms of relating this situation to the "real world" -- this is not the same as walking out in the middle of your shift and saying "I'm done." This is more like being a part of a major product presentation or panel discussion or something, with a bunch of your co-workers directly involved, and walking out on that. In the former, well, you've quit on your team, that kind of sucks. In the latter, you've QUIT ON YOUR TEAM and have let down people who were heavily depending on you in that moment.

If Davis really had a "come to Jesus" moment, fine, he should act on it and he shouldn't really care what his former teammates or anyone else thinks. But there really is a difference between reaching that decision during the week on the practice field, or after the game is over, and reaching it during halftime on Sunday.

Date: September 22, 2018 08:20PM

Precisely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.