HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Chris Mortenson on Mike & Mike.....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Chris Mortenson on Mike & Mike.....
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 04, 2009 03:23AM

I just heard Mort come on and do his weekly updates.

Greenberg asked him about Chad Penningtons future in Miami. And Morts response was something like this:

He said "its a very intersting situation for the Miami front office because BP, Ireland and Sparano all believe Chad Henne is a Superbowl caliber QB Who they believe is definately better than Joe Flacco and believe he is right on par with Matt Ryan."

That is exactly what he said. What do you guys make of this?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chris Mortenson on Mike & Mike.....
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 04, 2009 06:03AM

It's all just opinion and means nothing until he does it on the field.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 04, 2009 06:41AM

1)I believe that some of this is player management. They want Henne to work hard and be ready and keep his attitude positive. They want Chad to be hungry next year...so Sparano says " Pennington is my starter" but the float out there ' Henne is our guy of the very near future. Both guys are working hard, both feeling valued, both knowing what is inevitably going to happen. When Chad P hits a slump, or isn't being effective, Chad H. will get his shot.

2) this isn't a hard opinion to defend. They drafted Henne to be the starter...and then got Pennington after the fact. You are going to defend the 2nd round investment you made.

3) I Think Henne CAN be better than Flacco. I like flacco; but, the ravens got where they did because of the defense.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: February 04, 2009 06:45AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1)I believe that some of this is player
> management. They want Henne to work hard and be
> ready and keep his attitude positive. They want
> Chad to be hungry next year...so Sparano says "
> Pennington is my starter" but the float out there
> ' Henne is our guy of the very near future. Both
> guys are working hard, both feeling valued, both
> knowing what is inevitably going to happen. When
> Chad P hits a slump, or isn't being effective,
> Chad H. will get his shot.
>
> 2) this isn't a hard opinion to defend. They
> drafted Henne to be the starter...and then got
> Pennington after the fact. You are going to defend
> the 2nd round investment you made.
>
> 3) I Think Henne CAN be better than Flacco. I like
> flacco; but, the ravens got where they did because
> of the defense.

I agree with points one and 2. I think Derrick Mason helped out Flacco a bunch too. He is one hell of a receiver, just look at the first game he had against us.

Chris Mortenson is one of the worst talking heads out there

Date: February 04, 2009 07:37AM

Quote:

"It's all just opinion and means nothing until he does it on the field."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Actually those opinions mean alot. In case you didnt see who I said believed that, those meaningless peoples names are Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano....but you already know, those opinions mean nothing. eye rolling smiley

---------------------

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: February 04, 2009 08:21AM

Is Mortenson very close with the entire Miami front office? On several occasions I've heard him make comments regarding the Dolphins and their internal plans that seem odd considering how historically closed off Parcells' has been with the press.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 04, 2009 09:04AM

Pennington brings more than accuracy to the team. he's a smart QB, and the fins need him until henne is really ready.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 04, 2009 05:51PM

The thing you have to remember about Mortensen is that he is a very close friend of Bill Parcells. If there is any reporter with "inside" info from Parcells, it would be Mortensen.

This story isn't surprising. Realist is correct. This regime drafted Henne to be their franchise QB. Pennington fell into our laps 4 months later. We needed a veteran QB. McCown was awful in camp. They got Pennington to be the veteran leader to show Henne the ropes. There is no reason to believe that their opinion of Henne has somehow been lowered by the presence of Pennington. Henne excelled during the preseason and was headed to being the starting QB in week 1. He also looked very calm in his regular season debut. He's done nothing to reduce expectations of what he can become.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will not be a Super Bowl caliber team until Henne becomes our starter. Pennington cannot make all of the NFL throws. He cannot throw deep ins or deep outs. He cannot fit the ball downfield into small spaces. And he cannot throw the ball deep enough to make the best use of Ted Ginn. These limitations make it easy for opposing defenses to take away other aspects of our offense. With Pennington as our QB, I don't ever see us facing less than 8 or 9 defenders at the line of scrimmage. And that will make it very difficult to run effectively. That all changes when Henne is ready to take over.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: February 05, 2009 07:11AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> The thing you have to remember about Mortensen is
> that he is a very close friend of Bill Parcells.
> If there is any reporter with "inside" info from
> Parcells, it would be Mortensen.
>
> This story isn't surprising. Realist is correct.
> This regime drafted Henne to be their franchise
> QB. Pennington fell into our laps 4 months later.
> We needed a veteran QB. McCown was awful in camp.
> They got Pennington to be the veteran leader to
> show Henne the ropes. There is no reason to
> believe that their opinion of Henne has somehow
> been lowered by the presence of Pennington. Henne
> excelled during the preseason and was headed to
> being the starting QB in week 1. He also looked
> very calm in his regular season debut. He's done
> nothing to reduce expectations of what he can
> become.
>
> There is no doubt in my mind that we will not be a
> Super Bowl caliber team until Henne becomes our
> starter. Pennington cannot make all of the NFL
> throws. He cannot throw deep ins or deep outs. He
> cannot fit the ball downfield into small spaces.
> And he cannot throw the ball deep enough to make
> the best use of Ted Ginn. These limitations make
> it easy for opposing defenses to take away other
> aspects of our offense. With Pennington as our QB,
> I don't ever see us facing less than 8 or 9
> defenders at the line of scrimmage. And that will
> make it very difficult to run effectively. That
> all changes when Henne is ready to take over.

$$$ I think we can win a bowl with Penny. We just need one more good WR. A WR that can make people miss in space and get down the field.

However, I agree with what you said about Penny's passing attributes. For example, there is no way in hell Penny could have made the throw that cheeseburger did to Holmes in the SB

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 05, 2009 02:06PM

ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
> $$$ I think we can win a bowl with Penny. We just
> need one more good WR. A WR that can make people
> miss in space and get down the field.
>
While I DO agree we can win a SB with Penny, we need more than ONE WR to do it. We need to solidify our interior O-Line. We also need to improve our defense. Basically, if Trent Dilfer can with a SB, then Penny can DEFINITELY do it!!

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 05, 2009 03:29PM

I have already moved HENNE into the STARTER position in MADDEN spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

~~~~~~~~~~ wave of the future ~~~~~~~~

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Date: February 06, 2009 03:22AM

It would be great news if he could actually beat Pennington out for the job....straight up.

---------------------

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:51AM

Chad needs a bigger target that can go up and get the ball and use his body to shield more.

Yes, Chad is capable of winning a Super Bowl with this team if we put together a better running game and better defense. CP is way better than Dilfer ever was.

You really have to stop and look at what he had to work with last year. Three number 2 and 3 receivers. He turned Cam and Bess into better WR's...not the other way around.

We can't really say that CP can't untilize Ginn (even though I have said that) because I don't think Ginn has learned all the nuances of the position yet. Chad got a lot out of Coles when they were together and Coles is just very good and not really elite.

Chad Pennington throwing to someone like Fitzgerald would put the offense over the top...but he is probably the best WR in the game right now. We need a true number 1 WR which will open up the running game as well.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 08, 2009 11:23AM

Our front office picked Henne, and they're going to prop him up until the time comes if ever, he doesn't perform. They defended Wilford for a long time too until it came to the point they couldn't anymore.

I think it's just wild speculation that Henne is "definitely better" than Flacco. Flacco showed his talent. Remember, Flacco was one of the first players we showed great interest in before the draft. Then suddenly we didn't show any interest at all. I figured that was because they didn't want to throw a lot of attention his way so he would be available in the 2nd round. Either that or their inside information said he wasn't going to even be there and so they went to plan B.

I'll tell you what, eyebrows raise whenever anyone talks about Flacco, including Dan Marino. Kid has a huge future ahead of him. And yes, it helps to have a running game and a great defense, but it doesn't take away from the QB's talent.

Another thing I've noticed is that while the Ravens players raven about Flacco, I didn't the the same kind of thing from our players when they practiced with Henne. On the contrary, there was pretty much silence until Pennington showed up and then you heard our players rave. Before Pennington, the players could care less if Henne, Beck or Josh started, because nobody made a difference.

As far as I'm concerned it's a flip the coin, 50/50 proposition with Henne. He may work out, he may not. He's good enough to play in this league, but is he great, is he a difference maker? I don't know. No one knows.

Trifecta had better been right on this, because remember we took a pass on Matt Ryan.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: February 08, 2009 04:08PM

All a matter of speculation until Henne can get out there and actually play. I hate to break it to some of you but rookies don't always play according to the expectations of the coaches or the fans. Penn. is smart and accurate and like most of you I would love to see what Henne can do but to start him over Penn......nah not going to happen as it shouldn't

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:38AM

pennington has a better arm than you think he has been working out alot and like it or not he is comming off a injury to the arm, and a new offense look as long as you can throw 50 plus yards and get a decent speed pass you dont need to be dan marino to play qb its more about reading defenses making them miss and hooking up with the reciever in stride where he is suppossed to be. chemistry goes a lonnggg way and time in the pocket too ive noticed especialy in the playoff game when pennington ran out of pocket PICK that tells me he is deff pocket passers and as long as we keep him in it we will be fine, i say get pat white or vick to run the wildcat. and start henne in his 4th year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.