HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is Goodell retarded or what?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is Goodell retarded or what?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 03, 2009 04:38PM

No more Pro Bowls in Hawaii?

Having the Pro Bowl a week BEFORE the Super Bowl? So no players in the SB will be playing in the Pro Bowl now...and probably not many players at all will attend because it's not a reward any more.

Why take the risk of injury just to go to Miami or New Orleans or Los Angelos?

One thing you can always count on in Hawaii is perfect weather...now they stay on the mainland where a cold front could be going through and it's like 45 degrees?

Oh boy, next year Jake Long, Ronnie Brown and Joey Porter get to go to........MIAMI....wooopeeeee! Get packed guys!

At least change it up and have it in the Bahamas or Mexico or Jamaica or something.

He needs to have his head examined.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Goodell retarded or what?
Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: February 03, 2009 05:00PM

Its about money... if you read the articles, the contract for the Pro Bowl expires after this year, and negotiations aren't going well. So, they had to do something... if they had it in a city like Miami AFTER the Super Bowl, its almost a guarantee none of the top players would show up.

Having it prior to the Super Bowl allows them to attract many players who want to be there that week and participate in the Super Bowl festivities. Its probably just a trial run, and I'm betting they will have it back in Hawaii in no time.

Posted by: fakespike ()
Date: February 03, 2009 07:37PM

i havent read the article, but ever since i first heard that this was going to happen a couple months ago, i immediately figured it meant that none of the SB teams' players will participate, which is fine with me. zero chance any team would allow its players to participate in an exhibition game right before a championship game, so i think you can relax eesti.

i actually think its a cool idea. maybe we'll actually get the probowl in HD now, and have it in primetime. more $$ for the NFL in this case also means a better product for me. i know i wont miss that terrible glare off the field in Hawaii.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 03, 2009 10:08PM

This game is no more than an afterthought anyway, so who cares? Used to be that players got a good payday out of it, but salaries have escalated so much that the money paid to a player for playing in this game is not significant.The starters don't make enough money to joepardize their careers, so they bow out and lesser players still hungry for recognition get to go party for a week and then play in a nothing "game". Bah.

Rick

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: February 04, 2009 02:52PM

I personally would welcome filling in that dead weekend before the big game with the Pro Bowl. It would help get more support for a game few watch in it's present format. And if it's a hit...we can then focus all our efforts on picking new Thanksgiving Day team participants. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 04, 2009 04:21PM

AFCbeast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally would welcome filling in that dead
> weekend before the big game with the Pro Bowl. It
> would help get more support for a game few watch
> in it's present format. And if it's a hit...we can
> then focus all our efforts on picking new
> Thanksgiving Day team participants. smiling bouncing smiley

The problem I see is that the Pro Bowlers who ALSO happen to be playing in the Superbowl will likely skip the game. In fact, a lot more players may skip it because:

1. It's not in Hawaii (a lot of players go just for that)
2. They'll still be banged up from the season or playoffs

So, I actually think the game will be a letdown.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 04, 2009 04:35PM

I agree with eesti. I know that the game has little respect but I think putting it the week BEFORE the Super Bowl, particularly when those players won't be showing up, is likely to reduce, not increase, viewership. As far as the location is concerned, maybe the gate might increase by shipping it around to various cities but, I can't see how on the whole they would make more money considering lost viewership.

I kinda think its cool to see stars that were in the Super Bowl in the pro bowl because obviously to get there those teams had to have SOME good players.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 07, 2009 02:44PM

Goodell is retarded, but does anyone even watch the pro-bowl? Often none of the players on SB teams play, so I don't see what the commotion is all about. It isn't like he named Bellicheat the AFC coach for the next 10 years.

Anything they can do to make the Pro-Bowl more interesting is fine with me.

Date: February 07, 2009 02:47PM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 10, 2009 11:04AM

Seems like the location of the probowl will depend on where the superbowl is played... I didnt realize that.

SHOW ME the MONEY...was: Is Goodell retarded or what?
Posted by: cahokietim ()
Date: February 11, 2009 09:42AM

Restating the obvious Pro's and Con's for moving the ProBowl from Hawaii & 1 week before the Superbowl:

Con's:
Players from the Super Bowl teams won't play
Players missing the perk of going to Hawaii

Pro's:
Fan interest potentially higher during the dead week before the superbowl (I personally like this).

What I haven't seen discussed is which format makes more money for the NFL, which I'm sure is the only real motivation here. This is where it gets interesting, there's no way they can know until they try it. PLUS they get the benefit of making Hawaii squirm about losing the Pro Bowl so the NFL has just ratcheted up their negotiation power (to lower the costs to NFL...or increase revenues, maybe Al Davis has convinced them to ask Hawaii to guarantee revenues with Pro-Bowl PSL's!!!).

So where's the money?
I've got to believe the biggest difference will be television revenue since the ticket revenues and costs to NFL are likely close for 2010 (Miami .vs. Hawaii).

Thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 10:13AM by cahokietim.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 11, 2009 04:10PM

Get rid of the Pro Bowl all together. Nobody watches. Nobody cares.

Only a way for MILLIONARE players to get a raise and meet incentives if they reach the game. Of if they win the MVP in the game. These players make enough money already, no need for them to have a chance to earn more. Not to mention the game can't even sell out in Hawaii. The people there don't even care about it anymore!!

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:35AM

If you are going to make it a week event where the pro-bowl is set in the same location as the superbowl. This may work. Make it a week event for the city and the NFL, that might make sense. You have the Pro-bowl then a week of party being the NFL experience up to the superbowl will bring in huge revenues and a more fan experience, but the big money is there only goal. And TV pays for most of that so we will get screwed and they will put it in a game to keep us interested in until the superbowl.

Posted by: fxxkthebills ()
Date: February 12, 2009 08:51AM

making the switch for the probowl has been in discussion for a long, long time....it was only a matter of time.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 12, 2009 09:07AM

There is also talk of having SuperBowls in northern cities as well...Detroit, New York etc....So then the Pro Bowl would be in Detroit? I woul dhave to pass on that one if I was a player.

I heard the Pro Bowl will be back in Hawaii in 2011.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 13, 2009 12:38AM

goodell ive thought was always an idiot just a rich kid who knows nothing about foot ball but i will say this all the fine's he loves to give go to charities so hey not all bad? and i would LOVE TO SEE a superbowl in snow. but yeah pro bowl i would do in europe. get the international show on MAYBE ALASKA that would be diff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.