Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          New reason for me to hate wannstedt a bit more...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
New reason for me to hate wannstedt a bit more...
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 01, 2009 06:48AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New reason for me to hate wannstedt a bit more...
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 01, 2009 07:29AM

Yep. He also took Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees when it was obvious Fiedler's shoulder wasn't going to get better and we were desperate for a QB. Wanny was a good DC for Dallas, but he was a weak HC and a knucklehead at GM.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 01, 2009 08:17AM

I saw that too. I also had no idea we were so close to taking him. What a MORON!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 01, 2009 08:25AM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 01, 2009 09:37AM

THIS HAS BEEN HAUNTING ME FOREVER......for EVEEEEER. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 01, 2009 10:07AM

If he makes those two picks (Brees and Boldin...has a nice ring to it) We change the face of the franchise and he is still the Head Coach)

Just for fun...using hindsight to save DW's job...Personnel was ultimately, his demise. Had we made a few different personnel moves, he would have still been here.

Our 2000 1st round pick (23) was traded by JJ to Carolina to move up for Pat Surtain. That draft was a weak, weak draft from 23 on down but a couple of 6th rounders could have made the draft....Tom Brady and Adelius Thomas, Mark Bulger and Jeno James we all 6th rounders. DW gets a pass on that draft. Todd Wade was not a bad pick..the following 5 are not even in the NFL today but very few in that draft class are either.

In 2001, instead of taking Jamaar Fletcher, we could of had our choice of...Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Alge Crumpler, Chad Johnson, Kris Jenkins and Matt Light.

Instead of Chris Chambers, we could have had Adrian Wilson or Steve Smith. Instead of Travis Minor, we could have had Rudi Johnson.

So, in 01 had we taken Drew Brees and Steve Smith and Rudi Johnson, we would have been set for the next 6-10 years.

In 2002, we traded our 1st round pick (25) to New Orleans for Ricky WIlliams and swapped 4th picks (125). We also lost our 2003 1st round pick (#18 Calvin Pace). We also traded our 2nd round pick to Philly (59) for AJ Feeley.

If we had taken the right players in 01, we wouldn't have needed Ricky and all his baggage, we could have gotten by for a few years with Rudi Johnson.

Had we not traded we could have had...Ed Reed in the 1st round, Brian Westbrook in the 2nd, Chris Hope in the 3rd (instead of Seth MCKinney) and Larry Foote in the 4th.

In 2003, we could have had Nnamdi Asomugha in the 1st round, Anquan Boldin in the 2nd, Asante Samuel in the 3rd and David Diehl in the 4th.

In 2004, we trade our 4th rounder to move up 1 spot in the 1st round to take Vernon Carey when could have stayed put and taken Vince Wilfork. We also traded away our 2nd rounder in 03 to the Patriots to move up and take Wade Smith. We could have had kept it and taken Randy or Max Starks. In the 4th we took Will Poole but could have had Michael Turner.

Dave was fired after this point but our team could have looked like this....

QB: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Mark Bulger
RB: Michael Westbrook, Rudi Johnson, Michael Turner
WR: Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith
TE: Randy McMichael
OT: Max Starks, Todd Wade
OG: Jeno James, David Diehl

NT: Vince Wilfork
ILB: Zach Thomas, Larry Foote
OLB: Jason Taylor, Adelius Thomas
CB: Asante Samuel, Nnamdi Asomugha, Pat Surtain
SS: Chris Hope
FS: Ed Reed

Can you say Dynasty?

OK, so it's a bit unrealistic to have the ability to hit on all these players but DW and Co couldn't have done much worse!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 01, 2009 11:23AM

Of course, if Wanny had done all that, we wouldn't have been in the same position each year. We would likely have been in the playoffs a number of years with Wanny...but probably lost in the first or second round due to his coaching mistakes.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 01, 2009 11:54AM

wannstedt is the worst. don't forget the reason we had to give 2 first rounders to NO for ricky instead of a 1st and second is because Wanny moronically kept giving ricky the ball 35 times a game no matter the situation so he hit the yards threshold for the extra 1st rounder (I think is was like 1850 yards). Of course I remember he said something like when the trade was made "if he gets 1800 yards that means we win the superbowl so I don't care about the 2 first rounders." How did that turn out again? Oh yeah, we missed the playoffs. he is my most hated of all sports figures.

Date: February 01, 2009 12:40PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course I remember he said
> something like when the trade was made "if he gets
> 1800 yards that means we win the superbowl so I
> don't care about the 2 first rounders."

That's got to be one of the most moronic statements in NFL history. If you truly believe the RB is your whole team, then perhaps you should be coaching in Buffalo. O.J. ran for 2,003 yards in '73, and the Bills also missed the playoffs.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 02, 2009 05:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.