HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Cameron Wake - Affect on Draft?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Cameron Wake - Affect on Draft?
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 01, 2009 04:11AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cameron Wake - Affect on Draft?
Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 01, 2009 05:58AM

Cool pics. We talked about this already. I think the addition of Wake is definately a factor. From what I've read he's a very hard worker. We could sure use him on special teams and as on RUSH from OLB. Who knows what he is capable of.

I'd say he was as valuable as an early 2nd round pick. Because he was already a professional in the CFL and was stellar (De-MVP last 2 years)

There's some really good vids of WAKE making plays in the CFL. Kinda similar to OLB BRIAN CUSHING, IMO.

This additon is a sign of things to come. WAKE worked out and got offers from a few teams and decided on becoming a PHIN. Other FAs will too.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 01, 2009 07:32AM

Damn! Put a cape on his back. This guy can fly...literally!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 01, 2009 08:11AM

Date: February 01, 2009 08:42AM

He's blocked kicks like that 6 times.

I think he can definitely play as a pass rusher on day one, right along with Joey Porter, whereas a rookie would push our veterans, but not win a starting job right away.

I think we can pick up enough guys to rush the QB, but so far we haven't been able to replace Zach Thomas, to stuff the run, pursue well and wrap guys up. I like Laurinaitis for that. But if we use #25 for an OLB in addition to Wake who we already have, we may lose the chance for an elite ILB. Of course that means we'd have to let Cushing, Sintim, and English go. But we might still have a shot at Clay Matthews in the 2nd round.

smileys with beer

Date: February 01, 2009 11:35AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's blocked kicks like that 6 times.
>
> I think he can definitely play as a pass rusher on
> day one, right along with Joey Porter, whereas a
> rookie would push our veterans, but not win a
> starting job right away.
>
> I think we can pick up enough guys to rush the QB,
> but so far we haven't been able to replace Zach
> Thomas, to stuff the run, pursue well and wrap
> guys up. I like Laurinaitis for that. But if we
> use #25 for an OLB in addition to Wake who we
> already have, we may lose the chance for an elite
> ILB. Of course that means we'd have to let
> Cushing, Sintim, and English go. But we might
> still have a shot at Clay Matthews in the 2nd
> round.
>
> smileys with beer

The only way I see us going OLB and passing on an ILB in first round is if 2 things happen:

1. A top-10 OLB talent falls to us
2. We have our eye on specific ILB that we feel we can get in later rounds

Remember:

Zach Thomas was a 5th rounder
John Offerdahl was a 2nd rounder
Nick Buoniconti was a 13th (!!) rounder

only A J Duhe was taking in the 1st round

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 11:36AM by montequi.

Date: February 01, 2009 12:57PM

Date: February 01, 2009 01:08PM

eesti Wrote:
> You know BP's has a history of falling in love
> with top rated LB's. I would not be surprised to
> see us take one or two on day one and another one
> day two. OLB's and ILB's...whoever is higher
> rated.

I'd be ok with that, as long as one of them taken on day 1 can play ILB. In fact, I'd be OK with us taking 2 ILBs on day 1.

Date: February 05, 2009 09:01AM

The more I read and see of Wake, the more excited I get. I did not realize that 17 teams offered him a job and Miami offered him the most lucrative contract in history for any player coming from the CFL to the NFL...even though he makes around 1 Million per year on a 4 year deal.

It is starting to get clearer how he got passed on for the NFL. He was 6'3 and 235 lbs out of College (tweaner) and he was very raw. He never played Football until college. So he is a late bloomer. Now he is 260 lbs and still has 4.5 speed.

He is a humble guy which I love but has the drive and motor that an NFL player needs. He is out to prove a point. He won Defensive POY twice in Canada (in two years) and is getting better with every game.

I can see him surplanting Matt Roth this year and eventually Joey Porter but to have bookends that can both get to the passer is going to help this team (especially the DB's) tremendously.

I can see us taking an ILB in round 1 and then a WR, then a corner and LB with picks 2a & 3.

SOLB, Wake
SILB, Ayodele or Mathews
WILB, Laurinaitis or Cushing
WOLB, Porter

combine that with an improved Langford and Merling, steady play by Fergy, a high 2nd round CB or FS and our current CB's that don't have to cover as long because of the pass rush and we go from a 15th ranked defense to a top 10 easy but maybe even a top 6 defense.

Did you read where Wake caught the shotgun punt snap in the CFL...twice? and in the CFL d-linemen line up 1 yard off the ball.

We could also be in a position to package Wilford, Roth, Satele and Beck for draft picks or other players.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 05, 2009 02:02PM

eesti Wrote:
> We could also be in a position to package Wilford,
> Roth, Satele and Beck for draft picks or other
> players.

Let's not give away the whole team. While Wilford and Beck were wastes last year, so getting anything for them would be a bonus, Satele and Roth were starters and, even if they don't start, offer good depth at positions where we were pretty thin last year. Satele WILL start next year, either at Center or Guard. I could see Roth being a decent situational player...perhaps even shifting from OLB to ILB. Trading those 2 guys would set us back as a team.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:25PM

ROTH gives us depth. He played well. Keep him.

Date: February 05, 2009 04:22PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 05, 2009 06:23PM

There is no guarantee Wake will do anything, if he was that good how come he couldn't make a team? Hopefully he turns out to be a gem.

We will likley go O line, D line or DB

Date: February 05, 2009 07:28PM

Date: February 06, 2009 05:33AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> There is no guarantee Wake will do anything, if he
> was that good how come he couldn't make a team?
> Hopefully he turns out to be a gem.
>
> We will likley go O line, D line or DB

It seems that there will be no NT's available at 25 worthy of that pick and we don't need DE's. I agree about DB's as we are missing three starters from last year. Goodman, Hill and Bell but hopefully we resign all of them.

Likely we don't take a LB? Seriously? We have Ayodele and Torbor starting at Inside LB. That's a disaster? No way does Bill Parcels go thru next season without at least one stud LB in the middle.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 06, 2009 06:36AM

James Harrison was cut 4 times before making it with the Steelers. He is obviously one of the best, if not the best, defensive player in the NFL. Harrison became a starter at age 29 (Wake just turned 27). I'm not saying Wake will be of that caliber, but there are definitely late bloomers in the NFL. Didn't Rich Gannon make his first Pro Bowl at age 34?

Date: February 06, 2009 07:01AM

Date: February 06, 2009 01:24PM

C WAKE... it kinda has the D WADE ring to it.

Date: February 07, 2009 03:02AM

Kind of like...Cameron just left Matt Light in his wake.

Date: February 07, 2009 06:10AM

Wake was a tweener out of college, nobody wants a tweener. Plus, he hadn't had the football experience because growing up, he played other sports. Now he's bigger, more experienced, and most importantly he's more motivated than ever before. He'll wreak havok for us. And best part is he's young and he'll be in the lineup a long time.

Date: February 07, 2009 12:23PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:51AM

motivasuperbowl? oh yeah its time tO KICK THE TIRES AND LIGHT THE FIRES BIG DADDY!!! 2009 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS THE MIAMI DOLPHINS.!!! does the snoopy dance:

Date: February 16, 2009 07:39PM

Hi I'm huge CFL and NFL fan (Colts as you may have guessed. Lol sorry.) Here's what I know after watching Cam Wake for two years up here in the CFL. He is the most dominant player I have ever seen in the league. He constantly faced double teams and still more than doubled his nearest competition (Brent Johnson, a teammate who benefited greatly from playing opposite him) in sacks. But here's the thing, he doesn't sell out to rush the passer. He is positionally sound and relentless against the run as well. His motor literally never stops. What you are getting is a guy I am absolutely confident will be able to come in and wreak havoc in the backfield. He is as NFL ready as they come, more so than 90% of the guys you will find in the draft.

I must say, I am very jealous. I was pimping the guy for us back on a Colts message board but you beat us to him. This is a shrewd move by Bill Parcells. He should feel very comfortable addressing other needs in the draft.

Good luck to you guys in the upcoming season. Beat up on those Pats for us will you. Oh and enjoy the backfield mess left in Cameron's wake (sorry bad pun tongue sticking out smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 07:40PM by ChristophColtsCanada.

Date: February 17, 2009 05:03AM

AWESOME. More WAKE fans. I love it.

Can't wait to see this guy in AQUA and ORANGE.

We have a flourishing FRANCHISE now. We're gonna get some FA deals. Guys wanna come down and work here.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2009 05:22AM

BURP, excuse me but we will get me dirt cheap i could take up ss give me league min, and i would train my assssssss OFF every day 14 hours a day and i would OWN, any reciever come accross the middle they would be hurt, BAD.

Date: February 17, 2009 06:01AM

victorygogan Wrote:
> BURP, excuse me but we will get me dirt cheap i
> could take up ss give me league min, and i would
> train my assssssss OFF every day 14 hours a day
> and i would OWN, any reciever come accross the
> middle they would be hurt, BAD.

dude you are 1 toke over the line MA'AN smoking smiley

Date: February 17, 2009 07:11AM

and about two beers shy of a six pack smileys with beer

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 17, 2009 08:07AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 17, 2009 11:23AM

Whether this guy is the real deal in the NFL is yet to be seen, but I love the move to bring in a star in the CFL, some work out well.

keep in mind that Ricky went to the CFL and didn't make a lot of noise and we know he's a good player.

Hope this guy blossoms in Miami and we find that diamond in the rough. The pics make him look like a spirited player.thumbs up

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 17, 2009 11:31AM

Mauia ran through some sheetrock, and the video became a youtube sensation. People were acting as if he was the man of steel. In reality, Mauia should have been a FA pickup instead of a draft pick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.