HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Matt Burke
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Matt Burke
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 05:48AM

There are a lot of elephants in the room when trying to figure out what's wrong with this team. Tannenbaum and Grier are incompetent. We know that. Cutler is wildly inconsistent. That's a given. Why on earth this team can't figure out that having an experienced proven coaching staff is vital to being successful is puzzling to say the least. For example, is there anyone that doesn't believe that if Miami had gotten someone like a Wade Phillips to coach the defense, that we wouldn't have seen a better defensive performance? Matt Burke was a linebacker coach under a defensive coordinator that everyone in Miami was thrilled to see leave last year. No way Denver is going to help us out again by hiring Burke to be their new head coach. I guarantee, Burke will be back next year regardless of how crappy a job he did this year. Is Gase scared to have good assistants below him? Sean McVay wasn't and he's younger than Gase.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matt Burke
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 06:09AM

Tannenbaum is a proven loser. Grier, I don't know. The last 2 regimes were system driven.

Look at X Howard. His draft bio talks about him being a press man corner yet we play him in zone until the Pats game and look what he did.

Jakeem is a big play waiting to happen yet it took gase 1 yr and 13 games to figure out a way to get him the ball.

I think there's some young talent on this team. I think our staff tries too hard to make these guys fit a system that doesn't work. They need to design a system around the talent on the team. Our LBs are horrible in coverage but does that stop them from putting kiko in coverage every game? Crowd the line, blitz more often and dictate where the ball is going.

These young coaches over complicate things trying to make names for themselves.

I think there's a big disconnect between the FO and coaching staff and I think the problem starts with the ego of our HC.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 07:29AM

Grier leaves the sh** really hits the fan. Guy instilled fresh talent into this team thru the last 2 drafts. Add 2017 undrafted rookies Smith/Allan/Malveaux/Morgan and about 2 others guy is bringing players in. I wish they would give him full control of f/a too.

I really think Tannenbaum controls free agency (& trades). LBing totally stunk in 2016 defense ranked 29/15/30 in tot/pass/run Burke has it at 17/15/15. He has improved the D, unfortunately he like Gase is getting schooled by some coaches in too many situations.

I am more concerned w/ Gase. We have seen him fail in 2017 w/ his qb, his T/E and his OL coach. Applying the Shula he can beat yourzn with hizzins and hizzins w/ yourzn rule I really think if Belicheck were coaching this team w/ say Brissett or Garrapolo he would have 10 wins. So I hope Gates gets it together in 2018. I think a key sign will be if he gets an OC that can call plays for him. Not sure he has enough experience to be a HC and call plays.

Btw Joseph could coach D he has DEN at 1/2/4 on the d-side shows how much our D personal stunk. I for one was not happy to see him leave. He gets the job done w/ the personal is there. Im hoping the same w/ Burke.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 19, 2017 07:57AM

I'm not convinced Tannenbaum really controls much personnel wise. As for Grier, I think he's done a good job at bringing rookie talent in and an OK job with FA players.

Room for improvement sure but not terrible.

Burke is the guy that needs to do a much better job IMHO.

Date: December 20, 2017 05:29AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not convinced Tannenbaum really controls much
> personnel wise. As for Grier, I think he's done a
> good job at bringing rookie talent in and an OK
> job with FA players.
>
> Room for improvement sure but not terrible.
>
> Burke is the guy that needs to do a much better
> job IMHO.

From what I've read, Tannenbaum has had his fingers in the personnel decisions throughout his time here. Nevertheless, whoever is picking players, we've had mixed results. Although I think it's too early to make any assessments of 2017 draft, I'm not encouraged by Harris. If he'd been a 2nd or 3rd round selection, I'd be less critical. Your first pick in the first round needs to be an impact player. One sack isn't impactful. Similar talent could've been had in the later rounds freeing up that first pick for an offensive lineman. 2016 is similarly a mixed bag. Tunsil has been a huge disappointment. Xavien Howard had two big games when he was allowed to do what he does best, but has been underwhelming otherwise. Kenyan Drake looks like the best player of the picks. Trading up for Carroo was a boneheaded move. The rest of the picks are okay but nothing particularly noteworthy.

Free agency has been abysmal. The trade for Alonzo and Maxwell was a terrible decision. Failing to sign anyone starting caliber for the offensive line was similarly catastrophic for the team's chances to be competitive. Extending Alonzo and Branch were mistakes.

The law of averages suggest that even the worst personnel guys will occasionally come through with a good pick or signing. The one's that get team's championships are the one's that hit more than they miss. We'll never have that with Tannenbaum and Grier. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not.

Date: December 20, 2017 11:42AM

The questions are, who is really making the decisions. Tannenbaum, the guy who has repeatedly said he does not make the picks, Gase the guy who knows what kind of players he wants or Grier, the guy who has title and who is getting paid to make the choices.

Harris has come on the second half of the season as he has gotten in the backfield more often and has increased his QB pressures and hurries.

Tunsil also played much better as the season went on.

Howard is a keeper as is Tankersley despite his injury issues.

Carroo might not be a loser because Parker might not work out. Why the coaches have not worked him onto the field more often is a mystery.

Grant also needs to see the field more often...five sides sure worked well against the Pats.

Drake...looks like a great pick right now.

FA picks yes could be more fruitful.

Sorry but depth is important and I think we have done a good job everywhere except for OL and LB. McMillan should go a long way toward fixing that especially if we draft an outside LB this season to complement him. We HAVE to get a LB or two that can cover a TE.

I'm inclined to believe it's Grier and Gase making the choices with input from Tannenbaum as needed.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 20, 2017 12:37PM

Date: December 21, 2017 04:17AM

I've always believed in the adage that the best predictor of the future is past behavior. Tannenbaum was in charge of the jets and set their franchise back years with bad draft picks, bad contracts, and salary cap problems. I cannot fathom why that history of incompetence rewarded him with control of the Dolphins. Well, yes I can. He's a buddy of Stephen Ross. I was not in favor of Adam Gase when he was hired. I wanted a coach who had some head coaching experience and therefore could attract a top notch coaching staff. Doug Marrone would have been my choice. Gase was touted as being a QB whisperer but even that was dubious at best. I expect that Peyton Manning was more responsible for Denver's success than anything Gase did. His one year as a coordinator with Chicago resulted in a decent year for Cutler but a losing record for the team. But the real irony in all this is that we may never really know how good a head coach Gase is as long as he's saddled with Tannenbaum. You can't make chicken salad from chicken... you know the rest. I'd like to see someone come to Miami in charge of personnel who has a track record with a successful team who learned from a competent GM. Then Gase can be assessed fairly and accurately. Why Ross would hand the keys of his billion dollar plus asset to a guy that was run out of NY on a rail is beyond my comprehension. There was a reason that Tannenbaum was working as an agent after being fired by the jets. No other franchise was foolish enough to let him near their roster.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 22, 2017 02:03PM

Date: December 22, 2017 02:46PM

AND....only listening to people who want to praise you or kiss your A_ _.

Date: December 27, 2017 05:05AM

toko34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nepotism is the worst hiring policy possible for
> any organization. I believe it has been the
> problem with this franchise since Ross bought the
> team.

Even before then, Toko. We got Dave Wannstedt because he was Jimmy's best friend. God only knows how far that set the franchise back. If Ross wants his playmates around him, he should let them move into his home but keep their hands off the franchise.

Date: January 02, 2018 08:09PM

The one and only way I'd bring Burke back next year would be if I knew I was going to go all in for two fast, instinctive LB'ers to platoon with McMillan in the draft.

Date: January 03, 2018 10:53AM

Zone defense killed us. We played much better man to man even if we got burned here and there. Dump his ass and find someone who can use SUH to our advantage when he's constantly double/tripled teamed. Whos not being covered? If We didnt trade down and we got a #1 rated Cornerback in the first round instead of a Offensive center or lineman.....I'd be OK with that. Man to man is the way to go. Drop the safties back and free up a consistent MLB to seek and destroy. Our DE should be free to apply pressure if SUH is constantly double/tripled teamed.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 03, 2018 11:20PM

I agree, Burke needs to be replaced...we need an aggressive, always attacking defense that dictates on the field. Not what we have most of the time in a safe keep everything in front of us style...I'm sure the players would rather be attacking as well.

We gotta start punching teams in the mouth and stop getting punched ourselves.

Date: January 04, 2018 06:21AM

Date: January 04, 2018 06:23AM

disclaimer: I am in no way sanctioning domestic violence just making a point above.........thumbs updrinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: January 04, 2018 07:07AM

Wonder if Singletary would come and coach the D?

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: January 04, 2018 07:08AM

We need Singletary come to coach the D.

Date: January 04, 2018 10:31AM

Just watching the college Bowl games, I disagree.
Angriness loses close games.

Angriness on the field leads to punches. Punches lead to red flags that lead to taking away critical gains or imposing additional loss of yardage on no gain or loss plays.

What we need is smart players. Tough, yes but smart. The only reason I laughed about the melee at the end of the Buffalo game was because the score was out of reach but it could have just as easily been in a close game.

Date: January 04, 2018 12:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.