HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ryan Swope vs Tavon Austin
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ryan Swope vs Tavon Austin
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:45PM

Heard this talked about today......
Swope is 6 ft 205 lbs runs a 4.34 40 times, has chemistry with Tannehill and knows the system we run from our OC being his HC for 3 years in college. has injury concerns but still had over 70+ catches 3 years in a row.. His best year was RT and Sherman's last year with the team 1207 yards 11 TDs... Played well against top college competition with over a 100 yards and a TD vs Alabama this year...

Tavon Austin 5"8 174lbs runs a 4.34 40 times. Great returner, 1289 yards and 12 receiving TDs last year.. Over 1100 yards the last 2 years. Played well against a weaker schedule but outperformed Swope stat wise both of the last 2 years..

One will go in the top 20 of the first rd, the other will go in the top 25 of the 2nd rd... Which one makes more sense for our team?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 01:59PM by Crowder52.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ryan Swope vs Tavon Austin
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 26, 2013 02:23PM

Read that Swope has serious medical concerns.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 26, 2013 02:39PM

I believe Swope has had something like 4 serious concussions in college.

I'd rather he'd blown out a knee but he's still a really good football player.

I'm not sure that Austin was ever seriously injured in college.

Why not draft both?

Austin in the first and Swope in the late 3rd or 4th?

Date: March 26, 2013 02:41PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read that Swope has serious medical concerns.

It has been reported that Swope had multiple concussions, but whatever his medical concerns were, it still didn't prevent him from having 70+ catches 3 years in a row... So it seems the guy plays,,,, obviously you would have to judge the concussions concerns... But the upside and relative cost vs the risks involved seems to be in the favor of Swopes over Austin IMO... Wes Welker has had multiple concussions... Playing the slot, you are gonna get popped by safeties and CBs.. Which is why I think Austin's size is a greater risk then Swope's concussions... But if the medical staff says it is a no go, then you obviously pass on Swopes, for I am surely not a brain doctor...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: March 26, 2013 03:09PM

THE Truth Wrote:

> Why not draft both?
>
> Austin in the first and Swope in the late 3rd or
> 4th?

If we trade for Brandon Albert or are comfortable we can draft a starting right tackle, and Martin is strong enough to be our LT, then I can kind of agree. But if we still haven't solidified the oline, then I think we have to go in that direction early, and if Warmack slips to 12 it would be hard to pass that up.
CB also has to be a concern IMO... Unless they feel comfortable with Dimitri Patterson and Richard Marshall as our starting 2. Or if they believe they can sign Grimes and he will up to par after his achilles injury...
Drafting 2 WR's in the first 3 rds if we haven't addressed these other holes seems scary.. Especially since the second of the picks will most likely be fighting for a roster spot...

All things being equal I would want to take Cordarrelle Patterson at 12 if he is available...Size speed and uncommon raw athletic ability at his position, they don't make guys like him very often, I would bet on his rawness risk above all others at 12.. However If these others holes are not addressed, I would pass on my pick because of these other issues on the oline and in the secondary...

Nietzsche

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 26, 2013 04:26PM

The concussions are a huge worry. The league is paying more attention to how they are monitored, assessed, treated etc.

I would say draft Swope...but with his concussions...I would see if he slips to the 5th round.

I think somebody else will take him before that...but we have too many holes to fill to risk a high pick on a guy whose career may end before his rookie contract.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 06:26PM

I would not draft Swope w/ a good concious. I would encourage the kid to pursue coaching or some other path. That's just my opinion.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 27, 2013 02:08AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 27, 2013 04:13AM

I don't see any way that Philbin ends up with Cordarelle Patterson after getting rid of Vontae Davis. He is just too child like and immature, not to mention the questions about intelligence.

Swope fits the mold of the WR they look for....He could play outside or in the slot and provide immediate competition for every receiver we have. He is as fast as Wallace....but bigger. Think about that for a minute.

...and we can get him in round 2 and take the BAP in 1. If he is there at pick 2b, I take him if he checks out medically. He shouldn't be any more of a concern than a 174 lb WR.

At worst he is an upgrade for Bess.

"I'm not a doctor so I don't really look at all of that; I just go out and play football," Swope said. "You do have to be careful. But, luckily, every concussion I've suffered has been minor, and I've healed quickly."

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 27, 2013 06:57AM

How disappointed are you guys going to be when we DON'T draft a WR in the first round?

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 27, 2013 07:08AM

Not at all. If we did get Patterson it would not upset me either. He is worth the pick. There are good receivers in this draft so we don't have to get one at 12 neither do we have to take a health risk like Swope. We got our burner in Wallace, we have our route runners in Bess and Hartline and our young guys with potential Binns, Marshall, Fuller and Tyms. We really don't have to think about receiver until rounds 4/5. I like Binns he was very productive in college.

Date: March 27, 2013 07:13AM

I could see Rashard Mathews making a huge leap this year. I like his potential over any of the other guys other than Hartline and Wallace.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 27, 2013 09:01AM

montequi Wrote:
> How disappointed are you guys going to be when we
> DON'T draft a WR in the first round?

Won't bother me at all.

Only pick that's going to upset me is a DB at #12.

I'm not a big fan of Trufant, rhodes or Vaccaro.

Date: March 27, 2013 09:56AM

True! I will freak out if we draft a safety with 5 career int's in 4 years....and who runs a 4.63 40. This guy is an in the box safety....not a center fielder.

Rhodes is not a zone corner. We didn't get rid of Smith to sign his shorter.

If I had to choose between the 3 it would be Trufant....but not at 12. I would rather take a TE or a LG.

Date: March 27, 2013 10:04AM

eesti Wrote:
> True! I will freak out if we draft a safety with 5
> career int's in 4 years....and who runs a 4.63 40.
> This guy is an in the box safety....not a center
> fielder.
>
> Rhodes is not a zone corner. We didn't get rid of
> Smith to sign his shorter.
>
> If I had to choose between the 3 it would be
> Trufant....but not at 12. I would rather take a TE
> or a LG.

I would MUCH rather have Eifert at #12 than any DB in the draft, even Milliner.

I'm actually glad that Milliner won't be there at #12. Not that he sucks. He is the best CB in this draft. I just don't think he's special and I'm positive we can get zone corners in round 2 who will be very good in our system.

If we are going to reach, I want Austin or Eifert.

If we are going BPA its got to be Cooper, Johnson, or a DT like Lotouleilei if he falls.

Date: March 27, 2013 10:07AM

I agree...just like WR it's a deep draft for CB but not in the top 20.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 27, 2013 12:42PM

Swope - 6'1" 204 lbs. Arm: 30 1/2 Hand: 8 1/8

Austin: 5'8 3/8" 173 lbs Arm: 30 Hand: 9 1/4

Last three years:

Swope: 233 catches, 2,945 yards, 23 TDs

Austin: 273 catches, 3,262 yards, 28 TDs

All above info from Pro Football Draft 2013.

Date: March 27, 2013 01:12PM

captkoi Wrote:
> Swope - 6'1" 204 lbs. Arm: 30 1/2 Hand: 8
> 1/8
>
> Austin: 5'8 3/8" 173 lbs Arm: 30 Hand: 9
> 1/4
>
> Last three years:
>
> Swope: 233 catches, 2,945 yards, 23 TDs
>
> Austin: 273 catches, 3,262 yards, 28 TDs
>
> All above info from Pro Football Draft 2013.

You forgot one Cap.

Swope...4 concussions.

Austin...zero concussions.

smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 27, 2013 01:16PM

To think Austin isn't as much of, if not more of an injury risk then Swope, isnt being realistic... Austin is one hit away from being retired based on his size... Swope just might miss a game or 2 from the same hit..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nietzsche

Date: March 27, 2013 01:19PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> To think Austin isn't as much of, if not more of
> an injury risk then Swope, isnt being realistic...
> Austin is one hit away from being retired based on
> his size... Swope just might miss a game or 2 from
> the same hit..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't draft either of these guys even though the prospect of them in a Dolphin uniform is very appealing to me.

If we are only taking one WR in this draft I'd rather do it in the 2nd or 3rd and I'd love to get Aaron Dobson or Stedman Bailey.

Date: March 27, 2013 01:25PM

Jahvid Best has been sidelined for over a year with concussion issues.

Laurent Robinson got a fat contract last year and now nobody will touch him because of concussion issues. he is 6'2 195 lbs.

Everyone in the NFL is one hit away from being retired, Swope may be a few steps closer based on his history.

It depends on how bad they were. From what I've read they weren't that serious....whatever that means.

Date: March 27, 2013 02:48PM

THE Truth Wrote:

> I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't draft
> either of these guys even though the prospect of
> them in a Dolphin uniform is very appealing to
> me.
>
> If we are only taking one WR in this draft I'd
> rather do it in the 2nd or 3rd and I'd love to get
> Aaron Dobson or Stedman Bailey.

I dont really think there is a chance in hell we draft any of these receivers in the first rd, because of the holes at the other "kind of really" important positions. Add that with Hartline Gibson and Wallace being signed... Combine that with Irelands history,If we take a WR at 12 I would be floored... But you never know, Ireland has proven he can be unpredictable with Ellerbe, Wheeler moves... I would give it a 10 percent chance...35 percent chance we trade up or stay put and take an olineman. 35 percent chance we take a CB. 20 Percent chance we take a pass rusher...
If a blue chipper falls, the odds would sway in favor of that position.. Meaning someone like Anzah or Warmack/ we dont have to trade up for Johnson, who I dont consider a blue chipper, but right on the edge...

Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 29, 2013 07:55AM

Funny thing about Swope -- he doesn't look like 4.3 speed in action...

But it certainly makes a ton of sense if he lands in Miami given the connections -- IF indeed Sherman & co. love the guy.

He'd be a super pick in R4 and still a really good value in R3.

Where's he rated to slot as of now?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 29, 2013 09:13AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How disappointed are you guys going to be when
> we
> > DON'T draft a WR in the first round?
>
> Won't bother me at all.
>
> Only pick that's going to upset me is a DB at #12.
>
>
> I'm not a big fan of Trufant, rhodes or Vaccaro.

I agree with this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.