HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Stephen Ross
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Stephen Ross
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2009 08:35AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stephen Ross
Posted by: noetic ()
Date: January 24, 2009 09:58AM

They all say that though.

I'll believe him if he actually makes it happen. You don't get to be a billionaire without having a silver tongue.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 06:13PM

ghotirule Wrote:
ck the Vince Lombardi trophy..."
>
> Yea, it will be nice change from WHW's #1 priority
> of ROI.

What is a comment like that based on? Can you name one thing HWH did that indicates he did not care about winning but only ROI? I'm not talking about bad moves like hiring Wanny, which may have been dumb but nothing that shows return on investment was the goal, but things like not spending to the cap, not spending money on coaches and other hires, etc?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 25, 2009 02:36AM

Isn't a Superbowl win the ultimate ROI?

Date: January 25, 2009 08:43AM

Date: January 25, 2009 08:43AM

Date: January 25, 2009 08:45AM

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 25, 2009 03:02PM

I always thought that Huizenga wanted to win. I actually think it pained him when the Phins struggled the past few years. Yes, I think he made some bad decisions; but he also made some decisions that sure seemed good at the time but turned out bad. He had some of the highest regarded coaches in the league. He willingly paid big money to free agents like DC because he trusted the guy he gave the reins to.

I think that if Huizenga's only goal in selling the Phins was to maximize his investment then he would have waited at least another year or two. With Parcells and Ireland, the team would have had another influx of talent with all of our 2009 draft picks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 03:18PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: January 27, 2009 07:13AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always thought that Huizenga wanted to win.

Show me an owner that WANTS to lose. That's for the movies (i.e. Major League). I believe ALL NFL owners WANT to win. Some don't know how. Others don't make it a top priority.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 27, 2009 07:30AM

I agree Victor, but my point was that Wayne actually did whatever he could do to help the Dolphins become winners. Keep in mind that he is not a personnel guy. He is an owner and in that role he tried to surround himself with good football people. While most of those guys didn't work out, I certainly wouldn't say that it was caused by a lack of committment on Wayne's part.

He hired Jimmy Johnson (who was widely regarded as a football mastermind) to coach the Dolphins. Johnson was clearly the best available option. Then came Wanny riding on Johnson's coat tails. Saban was hailed as the next Belichik and was considered the best option available. Then he went with Cameron at a time when our organization was left in disarray by Saban. There were not a lot of people lining up for the job that year. But he quickly dumped Cameron and brought in the best trio available. I look at that record and see a guy that was doing whatever he could to get the right management team in place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 07:36AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: January 27, 2009 01:49PM

I agree. I would put Wayne in the category of the owners that WANT to win but don't know how. He finally learned his lesson that he wasn't good at hiring coaches and hired a proven commodity to do that for him! I'm VERY happy he left us with BP. Other owners may have just dumped the team at the end of last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.