HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          How will Rex Ryan do in NY?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
How will Rex Ryan do in NY?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 20, 2009 03:25PM

He won't have the talent he had in Baltimore. No Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, Haloti Ngata or Ed Reed but he has some pretty good players to work with in Kris Jenkins, David Harris, Calvin Pace and Darrell Revis.

Who knows if Gholston will ever live up to billing...

Ryan runs a defense that gives a lot of looks and is described as controlled chaos but he won't have the players to pull it off for a couple of years. The Raven defense is very versatile and they mix and match a lot. They all know what each other is doing at all times and have been coached well enough that they don't need much coaching during the game.

Can he coach up the D in NY while serving as a first year HC?

The bad news is they pick at 17. Hopefully they strike out again.

The good news is they owe the packers a 3rd round pick for Brett Favre who will probably retire.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How will Rex Ryan do in NY?
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 21, 2009 03:07AM

doesn't have a QB on the roster worth anything.

Has talent on defense so he will win games that way. Lots of talent on defense.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: January 21, 2009 04:08AM

In other words rex ryan is in deep trouble.

Date: January 22, 2009 03:22AM

until they add a QB they are a 9 or 10 win team and will be on the playoff bubble like this past year.

They aren't winning a SUPER BOWL without a QB. Can't do it in this league anymore. Those days are over.With all of the rules changes over the past few years you MUST have a guy who can sling it and get you points in the passing game and NOT lose you games with turnovers. Jets don't have that. LOTS of teams don't have that, the Jets aren't alone

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 22, 2009 04:31AM

I think they win 6-8 games this year, actually taking a step back.

Who will be their QB if Favre retires? Kellen Clemmons? Thats actually laughable. If he is their Qb they might only win 4-6 games.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 22, 2009 05:15AM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:40PM

I also live in the area and listen to quite a bit of jet talk. Actually I am very scared of rex. They played his acceptance interview in its entirety and he said a few things that I was not aware of. First of he was the defensive coordinator for the ravens since 2000, basically their entire "historic" defense (yeah I said it). Also he mentioned other things like he was the defensive coordinator in oklahoma and his first year they were #6 in the nation. I know now that does not sound impressive but this was probably the mid 1990's and he said that the year before they were ranked 78th! Now couple that with he had to go out recruiting and ended up starting almost all freshman on defense and they went from 78th to 6th! wow!. He gave other examples but basically where ever he went when you look at his resume he had not just success but tremendous success. Now the good thing is that he will not be the D-coordinator or we would be in some trouble. As head coach he will have so many responsibilities he will not be able to focus his genius mind soley on defense. But from what I have heard from his responses i have to believe that they took a step in the right direction.

And for the qb comments please dont forget that baltimore and the bucs won in 2000 and 2002 with sorry qb's. That was not that long ago. Also pittsburg won in 2005 with a second year qb who averaging 22 pass per game and just under 200 yards per game. Tell me that defense does not win championships...

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:51PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also live in the area and listen to quite a bit
> of jet talk. Actually I am very scared of rex.
> They played his acceptance interview in its
> entirety and he said a few things that I was not
> aware of. First of he was the defensive
> coordinator for the ravens since 2000, basically
> their entire "historic" defense (yeah I said it).
> Also he mentioned other things like he was the
> defensive coordinator in oklahoma and his first
> year they were #6 in the nation. I know now that
> does not sound impressive but this was probably
> the mid 1990's and he said that the year before
> they were ranked 78th! Now couple that with he
> had to go out recruiting and ended up starting
> almost all freshman on defense and they went from
> 78th to 6th! wow!. He gave other examples but
> basically where ever he went when you look at his
> resume he had not just success but tremendous
> success. Now the good thing is that he will not
> be the D-coordinator or we would be in some
> trouble. As head coach he will have so many
> responsibilities he will not be able to focus his
> genius mind soley on defense. But from what I
> have heard from his responses i have to believe
> that they took a step in the right direction.
>
> And for the qb comments please dont forget that
> baltimore and the bucs won in 2000 and 2002 with
> sorry qb's. That was not that long ago. Also
> pittsburg won in 2005 with a second year qb who
> averaging 22 pass per game and just under 200
> yards per game. Tell me that defense does not win
> championships...

As you said, he will not be the D-Coordinator. Cam Cameron has had great stints as an O-Coordinator with San Diego and, now, Baltimore, but he was horrible as a HC. What about Dom Capers? Mike Mularkey? The list goes on. We're seeing a new trend away from coordinators and college coaches to position coaches and assistant HCs. John Harbaugh and Sparano are 2 good examples. Of course, then there's Mike Smith...but, for the most part, coordinators often have a tough time transitioning to HC.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 22, 2009 04:37PM

I surely hope so cause he is an outstanding D-coordinater.

Date: January 22, 2009 04:50PM

1) Pitt WON their super bowl cause the Refs handed them the game and screwed Seattle.

2) 2000 and 2002 are light years behind us in NFL talk. The rule changes and the way pass interference and illegal contact is NOW called has totally changed the game. If you don't have a big-time QB you can't win! Running and Defense being the way to win is outdated. It stil works b ut its not the only way, it's just the harder way.

3) A LOT of NFL people with good knowledge believe Ratliff is the real deal on the Jets roster. He is their QB of the future. So, they "might" have someone in the wings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.