HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          This suprised the hell out of me
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
This suprised the hell out of me
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 24, 2013 07:51AM

Ryan Swope ran 4.34 at the combine was one of Tannehill's favorite receivers while at A&M. Swope was projected as a slot receiver, but with his size and speed 6ft1 205lbs. He might be worth a 2nd round pick. Anyway a very productive player, and someone that Tannehill is very familar with. I say he is chosen by this team in the 2nd round I hope.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This suprised the hell out of me
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 09:58AM

surprised? why? because he's white?

just messing with you shady!! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:21AM

This guy could definitely be a target.. If you look at his stats, he actually had a better year with Tannehill and Sherman, then Johnny football and new coach.. In 2011 he had 1200+ yards and 11 TD's.. That tells me keep an eye out for us having a lot of interest after that 40 time and his relationship with Sherman and RT..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 24, 2013 11:54AM

I'd be very happy using our 2 #2s on WRs and using the 1st and 2 3ds on other postions. Seems like there are a lot of solid WRs to go in the 2d. Swope could be one, the WV WR looks very intriguing too. Then we sign Wallace or Jennings and resign Hartline and we can leave WR alone for a long time.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 12:00PM

2nd too high for Swope

Take a WR in 2 & 3, there will be good ones avail there unless a big name drops to 2 then grab 2

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 24, 2013 12:04PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2nd too high for Swope
>

Why?

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 12:23PM

Not a breakway threat. Likely 3rd rounder unless someone thinks he can be a Welker like slot and jumps at him

Did have a great 2011 with Tannehill, and Sherman knows what he is geting better than anyone

Date: February 24, 2013 01:02PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Not a breakway threat. Likely 3rd rounder unless
> someone thinks he can be a Welker like slot and
> jumps at him
>
> Did have a great 2011 with Tannehill, and Sherman
> knows what he is geting better than anyone

4.34 isn't a breakaway threat?

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 24, 2013 01:48PM

The red flag for Swope is a history of concussions.

Date: February 24, 2013 02:19PM

Well I knew that Swope was a baller. I just did not think he could run a 4.34 and man he is not skinny either. Hell he could line up in the back field run the ball occasionally, and be hell on the outside as a receiver.
I guess the perception is that so called slot receivers aren't that fast however this one can sure bolt. I want this player on our team, and we'll be our or way to fixing this offense.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 24, 2013 02:51PM

Swope also surprised me when I saw 40 time. No matter how you look at it, that is fast!!!

He's 6'2" and 209 lbs. 4.3 speed?

Definitely someone to consider.

However, depending on what Miami does during FA (i.e., Wallace, et al) I highly doubt Miami will go WR with both their 2nd round picks as there are too many holes to fill, with some of those holes being in key positions, i.e., OL, OLB/DE, CB.

Date: February 24, 2013 03:37PM

You might be right however look at the Patriots. I hate to keep bringing them up as they have many receivers. We need to copy that system as you can never have too many offensive weapons can you?

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 25, 2013 04:13AM

SWope is also someone they kept talking about as being a natural ball catcher.

4.4 is considered star speed so 4.34 is certainly break away speed.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 25, 2013 10:09AM

4.34 is elite. It's closer to 4.2 than it is to 4.4.

My question is...Does it group him in with the rest of the top WR's?

Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson, Terrence Williams, Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, Da'Rick Rodgers, Robert Woods, Stedman Bailey, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton

I don't see any one player as the clear cut "best in show".

The big knock on Swope was that he did not have great speed. Now we know that is false. His short area quickness is still very good (4.25 SS).

Some of the best WR's short shuttle times were Austin & Patton at a ridiculous 4.01 but Austin is much smaller and Patton ran a 4.53 40. Markus Wheaton 4.02, Da'Rick Rodgers @ 4.06, Bailey was at 4.09.

Swope put up great numbers vs two of the best CB's in the draft...Alabama & Dee Milliner (11/111)....vs Miss State & Johnthan Banks he posted 9/121.

It will be interesting to see where he goes. He certainly had no problem making plays at A&M. He is a great fit for the WCO b/c of his rac ability.

I believe this workout puts him right along side the other WR's in the draft.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 25, 2013 10:12AM

Finshady Wrote:
> You might be right however look at the Patriots.
> I hate to keep bringing them up as they have many
> receivers. We need to copy that system as you can
> never have too many offensive weapons can you?

The problem, Finshady, is that the Patriots are at the top of the heap. Despite their winning ways, they still have problems on defense and have been unable to solve it, despite Bilicheck being a defensive "genius." If he ever straightens that D out, there will be no stopping them.

I do agree, however, that a team can never have too many offensive weapons. But, Miami cannot afford to go with these "weapons" in this year's draft, because as I said, there are too many other holes to fill.

Another good example of that? The Dolphins with Marino. He had offensive weapons all over the place, and guess what? They made it to one Super Bowl (getting blasted by SF). Why? Because Miami's D could not stop Montana and his weapons, but the SF D did a pretty good job in slowing down Marino enough so that Miami was never in the game.

So, as I said, get all those offensive weapons, and RT will wear out his arm trying to keep up with the opponents because Miami is lacking a (1) pass rush and (2) DBs that can cover.

Not a good formula.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 10:39AM

Swope has a history of concussions. I would not like to contribute to those problems. My best case scenario is we pickup Wallace in F/A
draft Robert Woods and still have Bess, Binn and Marshall on the roster. The one WR I might go for in the 3rd is Vernon from Duke. That is if we fill our other needs.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:00PM

If we can get a guy who already has chemistry with the QB...knowledge of the playbook...ability to catch...toughness to run all routes...respectable size...AND Elite speed...

what round would you expect to get him in?

Swope just jumped up many boards and will be gone before the 3rd round. We will be lucky to get him with our lower 2nd rounder.

Bills, Pats, Jets, Steelers, Chiefs all need WRs too.

Date: February 26, 2013 02:37AM

His overall combine performance really elevated him. He's 6'0, 205, so not real tall, but pretty sturdily built. He ran 4.34, with a 1.47 10-yard split (which is excellent), with a 37 inch vertical, and a 10'5 broad jump. Take that all in, and he has really explosive ability. He was really productive for 3 years (230+ catches). He knows our offense, several of our coaches, and has great chemistry with our QB.

It's all great, except for one thing. 4 concussions in 4 years at A&M. That's a real concern.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 26, 2013 07:43AM

a lot of the WR are really exciting to think about, but you know we will draft a guard

Date: February 26, 2013 11:53AM

dolphin Wrote:
> a lot of the WR are really exciting to think
> about, but you know we will draft a guard

If that is Ireland's BPA at pick 12, yes he will.

There are no "can't miss" WRs at such a valuable spot as 12. Second round is where Miami will go after a WR, no matter what they do with FA.

Amazing what fast 40 times does to people's thinking.

Date: February 26, 2013 12:57PM

There is a ton of talent at WR and DB. Just not in the first round. Quality depth but no stars in the mold of AJ Green, Calvin Johnson.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 26, 2013 01:23PM

eesti Wrote:
> There is a ton of talent at WR and DB. Just not in
> the first round. Quality depth but no stars in the
> mold of AJ Green, Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson went 2 overall, Green went 4.. If those guys were available we would not have a shot at them at 12 anyway.. Just because there isn't a number 2 or 4 overall guy, doesn't mean there are not some that belong in top 15 or 20.. That is like saying there are not anymore Andrew luck or RG3 so no QB's belong in the 1st rd..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 26, 2013 02:26PM

I get what eetsi is saying. There are no WRs who can step right in and be difference makers this year like everyone knew Green and Johnson would. No one worth taking at 12, unless you want to gamble on Patterson's upside being so great that you're willing to accept getting just a little out of him this season

Date: February 26, 2013 02:57PM

Calvin Johnson had 750 yard and 4 TD's his rookie year.. Larry Fitzgerald about the same, they were picked #2 and #3 overall.. I think we can draft a WR this year that can produce in that ball park at 12.. Hell Bess an undrafted FA produced in that ball park his rookie year..
Although Patterson might need a little more time like Tannehill needed.. But pass rusher E Ansah has only 9 starts and is a project as well and surely worth top 15...

Nietzsche

Date: February 26, 2013 03:08PM

Crowder52 Wrote:

> Although Patterson might need a little more time
> like Tannehill needed.. But pass rusher E Ansah
> has only 9 starts and is a project as well and
> surely worth top 15...

Yes...Ansah is.

Its FAR easier to run a gifted pass rusher out there in pass rush only situations and say "go get em" then it is to run a WR out there who doesn't know the play book and to expect him to contribute.

We did the same thing with Cam Wake his rookie year. He was a major contributor right out of the gate and he wasn't asked to do things he wasn't ready for.

I'd take Ansah in a heartbeat at #12 and I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep if we passed on Patterson.

Date: February 26, 2013 03:16PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is a ton of talent at WR and DB. Just not
> in
> > the first round. Quality depth but no stars in
> the
> > mold of AJ Green, Calvin Johnson.
>
>
> Calvin Johnson went 2 overall, Green went 4.. If
> those guys were available we would not have a shot
> at them at 12 anyway..

That depends on the needs of whoever is picking ahead and the talent level that year.

Just because there isn't a
> number 2 or 4 overall guy, doesn't mean there are
> not some that belong in top 15 or 20..

You're right. That has nothing to do with it. The fact that there are no impressive WR's means they are probably not worth #12. Too many warts for the few that some say are worthy.

Patterson: questions about production and intelligence
Allen: Speed is not great. Not that impressive on film
Austin: very small. Can he hold up? 5'8 174 lbs

there is no separation/clear distinction between these guys and Woods, Hunter, Swoop, Williams, Bailey etc

That is
> like saying there are not anymore Andrew luck or
> RG3 so no QB's belong in the 1st rd..

It sort of reminds me when Crabtree was considered the best WR. He was talented but had question marks about this speed, etc. Sure he turned out to be ok but was he a better choice than Mathews or Cushing?

There will no doubt be one or two WR's that hit the ground running this year. Just like there will be a good QB somewhere in the draft. It probably won't even be the first ones taken but there will be good ones. Figuring out the right one is the risky part when there is clear talent at other positions that may be the BPA's.

Date: February 26, 2013 03:42PM

I don't want another slot reciever, we need an outside guy in the worst way.. I agree with where you are coming from Eesti.. At the end of the day, all of us want that #12 pick to be a long term solid starter.. I just don't want to pass on somebody that winds up elite at a major position of need for us.. I want young offensive talented WIde out for Tannehill.. Who knows maybe Mathews will have a real break out season.. We have not drafted an offensive playmakers in the 1st rd for Ireland's entire tenure and I believe it shows in our roster... Playmakers at 12 is my position, unless these WR don't fit the bill maybe they don't, but none of us really know that answer so playmaker is what I am going for, for now!

Nietzsche

Date: February 26, 2013 04:00PM

Me 2!

We need an OROY or DROY candidate this year! On a team void of playmakers we have to find at least one ,if not two or three. Too many draft picks to miss on too many.

Not to mention adding more P-makers via FA.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 26, 2013 07:31PM

dolphin Wrote:
> a lot of the WR are really exciting to think
> about, but you know we will draft a guard

LOL. You are TOO cold, dolphin. The sin is that you are probably right.

Date: February 27, 2013 01:44AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Crowder52 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Although Patterson might need a little more
> time
> > like Tannehill needed.. But pass rusher E Ansah
> > has only 9 starts and is a project as well and
> > surely worth top 15...
>
> Yes...Ansah is.
>
>
> Its FAR easier to run a gifted pass rusher out
> there in pass rush only situations and say "go get
> em" then it is to run a WR out there who doesn't
> know the play book and to expect him to
> contribute.
>
> We did the same thing with Cam Wake his rookie
> year. He was a major contributor right out of the
> gate and he wasn't asked to do things he wasn't
> ready for.
>
> I'd take Ansah in a heartbeat at #12 and I
> wouldn't lose a moment's sleep if we passed on
> Patterson.

Look at rookie "sack" leaders over the years. Look at how many supposed pass rushers get more than 3 sacks as a rookie. In Ansah, you are talking about a guy who had 4.5 sacks in his college career. He managed 4.5 sacks against college teams, and to expect him to produce sacks right off the bat in the NFL doesn't make much sense. The Cam Wake comparison doesn't fit. Wake spent 4 years playing football at Penn State. He was in an NFL camp. He left the game, re-worked his body. He went to the CFL, where he was the league's most dominant defensive player for two years. By the team we got him, he was a seasoned professional.

If a team is looking for a 2013 impact player, Ansah is not the pick.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.