HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ravens / Steelers and what it mean for the Phins
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ravens / Steelers and what it mean for the Phins
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 03:59PM

Just a couple of thoughts on this game. This was obviously a defensive battle. The Steelers won for two reasons:
* Ben Roethlisberger (and his WR's) were able to make big plays against the Ravens' defense.
* Troy Polamalu made numerous big plays - against the run; against the pass; and in reading and reacting (the play where he took Flacco down for a 9 yard loss). He is an amazing football player.

The Ravens were helped by two PI calls that gave them first downs at the 1 and the 3, both of which resulted in TDs. Despite those two TDs, the Steelers still won by 9.

What does all of this mean for Miami? The two Super Bowl teams both have some truly great, game-changing players - guys who can make great plays against other great teams. Those players separate the Super Bowl teams from the rest of the playoff teams. Miami is heading in the right direction; but we didn't get a game changing performance from anyone in the playoff game against the Ravens. Do we have players on both sides of the ball that can become game changing players against other great teams, or do we still need to acquire players of that caliber?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 04:04PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ravens / Steelers and what it mean for the Phins
Posted by: bpa ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:21PM

I would also add that you need to hit critical mass and critical maturity of players at the same time. Jason Taylor did not have his best year the first year, nor do most players. The only time that I can remember players exploding out of the gate were Dan Marino and the Marks brothers.

I am pretty optimistic about Merling and Langford. They hit the rookie wall about 2/3 the way through the season. I bet they will be a lot better next year. I also think that Long, Ginn, London and the offensive line with Thomas and Smiley back with be a lot better. Then the possibilities of Henne with 2 years study under Pennington really could bring an amazing upside. Its going back to a time when QBs were brought along slowly. Its really a rare luxury for an NFL team.

As happy as I am with this last season, I think the next two years are going to be progressively better.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:36AM

bpa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would also add that you need to hit critical
> mass and critical maturity of players at the same
> time. Jason Taylor did not have his best year
> the first year, nor do most players. The only
> time that I can remember players exploding out of
> the gate were Dan Marino and the Marks brothers.
>
> I am pretty optimistic about Merling and Langford.
> They hit the rookie wall about 2/3 the way
> through the season. I bet they will be a lot
> better next year. I also think that Long, Ginn,
> London and the offensive line with Thomas and
> Smiley back with be a lot better. Then the
> possibilities of Henne with 2 years study under
> Pennington really could bring an amazing upside.
> Its going back to a time when QBs were brought
> along slowly. Its really a rare luxury for an
> NFL team.
>
> As happy as I am with this last season, I think
> the next two years are going to be progressively
> better.

I agree with you about Merling and Langford. But, you mentioned the Marks brothers as exploding out of the gates. Well, just to further your point, the Marks brothers definitely did not explode out of the gates. Duper was a 2nd rd pick in 1982, when he only appeared in 2 games and had 0 catches. Mark Clayton was an impact punt returner as a rookie in 1983, but he only caught 6 passes. Both Duper and Clayton broke out in their 2nd seasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 02:37AM by dolfanmark.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 20, 2009 05:35AM

Posted by: bpa ()
Date: January 20, 2009 07:34AM

Time really takes a toll on my memory. Well at least Marino did explode out of the gate. Points well taken.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.