HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          A "historic" defense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
A "historic" defense
Posted by: phinfatale ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:20AM

Now that we have watched an old Pittsburgh team beat the heck out of the Ravens, I think that all of those homers out there who claimed that the reason we lost to the Ravens in the playoffs was because they had a "historic" defense were CLEARLY WRONG.

Obviously, there are a host of reasons why the Phins lost to the Ravens, but it wasn't because the Ravens have a "historic" defense. The Steelers shut it down easily. The Ravens D was unable to deal with Big Ben's scrambling, Troy Polamolu outplayed Reed, and Baltimore did not have very good open field tackling. Now they are losing Ray Lewis, who is near the end anyway.

If there is a "historic" defense this season in the NFL, it is the 2009 incarnation of the Steel Curtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A "historic" defense
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:30AM

Obviously you are a Steelers fan. But that's okay. I don't remember anyone saying the Ravens defense was "historic" just dam good. And they proved it again yesterday. They held the Steelers to field goals even after great field position. The game was winnable for the Ravens until the pick 6.
Steelers D is also great and that is what won the game for them. Other than a few big plays big Ben didn't do much. But it was enough to win because their D did a great job.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:46AM

I didn't get to watch the whole game yesterday, but I didn't have to in order to know that Baltimore's defense is historic.

In this game specifically, they held Willie Parker to 47 yards on 24 carries. It's been a while since I've seen a team that committed to getting a guy 20+ carries even though it was consistently not producing. It's been about 2 full seasons since they have allowed a 100-yard rusher.

The Steelers may have jumped out 13-0, but the Ravens D only allowed 16 points for the game.

Again, one game isn't going to change my opinion of their defense anyway.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:48AM

How is Pittsburgh an OLD team?? I stopped reading after the first sentence

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:10PM

phinfatale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now that we have watched an old Pittsburgh team
> beat the heck out of the Ravens, I think that all
> of those homers out there who claimed that the
> reason we lost to the Ravens in the playoffs was
> because they had a "historic" defense were CLEARLY
> WRONG.

I understand your opinion on the matter but you cannot say CLEARLY WRONG cause it is anything but clear. That game was 100% about field position and at the start of the 4th quarter the score was 7-16 with the ravens having less than 100 total yards! and what like 2 picks by flacco, maybe 2 or 3 first downs and they were still in the game. If you dont think that ravens over the decade has a defense that can compare to any defense in the history of the sport (over a span of several years, not just great one year) then I cannot agree with you.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:18PM

this guy is not that bright.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.