HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2009 Draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
2009 Draft
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:11AM

What do you think of the following possible choices

Round

1. Need OL, DL, LB, WR, DB

Duke Robinson, Andy Levitre,Brian Cushing, William Moore, DJ.Moore, Percy Harvin, Aaron Maybin, Brandon Spikes?

2 & 3

Need OL, DL, LB, WR, DB (2 Picks in 2nd , 1 from JT trade)

Patrick Chung, Sean Smith, Asher Allen, Clay Matthews, Victor harris, Juaquin Iglesias, Mohammed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Derrick Willams, Trevor Canfield, Herman Johnson (6'7", 390!), Fili Moala, Conner Barwin
Darry Beckwith, Nic Harris, Mike Hamlin, Hakeem Nicks, Chip Vaughn

late round sleepers

Soloman Elimimian (Over 260 tackles in the last 2 years!)
Glenn Coffee
Devin Moore
Ramses Barden 6'6" WR
Quan Cosby (2009's Eddie Royal?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2009 Draft
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:03AM

We need defense. Early and often in this draft.

First and foremost we need a pass rusher. This Wake kid isn't an everydown player. Porter wont' come close to 17 sacks again. He is old. And Matt Roth is a back-up role player, not a starter at OLB in this league. Those last 3 or 4 games we had ZERO pass rush. In a 3-4 you need active OLB's. We have none!

Second, we need secondary help. Goodman's INT's late in the year were because he had guys throw the ball right to him.Not because of great play. Will Allen is OK. And our safteys leave a lot to be desired.

If a blue-chip OG is staring us in the face, maybe I grab him. Other than that I am not even looking for offensive players in the 1st or 2nd rounds with our THREE picks

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:15AM

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:18AM

walter football has us picking:
Duke Robinson

i wouldnt mind.

a dt, fs, cb and lb'ers would be nice too...

but the draft is SLIM this year, we're going to have to hope for some ireland/parcell magic.

tj Housh, are you with us?

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:20AM

Let's not forget that Roth just played his first season at OLB in the NFL. he didn't due that bad and the coaches seem to think he can get better. So to say he is not an every down player would be speculation. He may get better. I still think we should try and address the position in the draft just in case, but none the less he deserves a chance to get better.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:47AM

RW13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's not forget that Roth just played his first
> season at OLB in the NFL. he didn't due that bad
> and the coaches seem to think he can get better.
> So to say he is not an every down player would be
> speculation. He may get better. I still think we
> should try and address the position in the draft
> just in case, but none the less he deserves a
> chance to get better.

Let's cut to the chase. The ULTIMATE goal is to win a super bowl. No team is winning a super bowl with MATT ROTH as a STARTING OLB!!!!!!!!! Period. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Aint gonna fit.

Roth is a nice player.......a great role player. Great off the bench for depth. He isn't a starting OLB on the NFL Level and on a team that has an ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 01:26PM

You might want to tell Sparanos that! They seem to think that he can make the transition. He produced 6 sacks in his first year and held his own against the run. He made some really nice plays towards the end of the year, that impacted games. The one against the Chiefs at the end of the game sealed the victory. He read the play and forced the QB to change his position and then sacked him. This in his first year ever playing OLB. Your guessing at this point! There is know way for you or I to know how good he will be, until he gets more time at this position.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 19, 2009 01:53PM

MikeO Wrote:
> RW13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> No team is winning a super bowl
> with MATT ROTH as a STARTING OLB!!!!!!!!! Period.
If Baltimore won a SB with Trent Dilfer at QB, then a team can CERTAINLY win a SB with Roth at OLB. OLB is hardly the most important position on defense, let alone the entire team.

Date: January 19, 2009 02:05PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:17PM

Is this about the 2009 draft or Matt Roth? The talk about Crowder leaving has me hoping that James Lauriniatis is available when we pick. I also think we are going to look very closely at William Moore. Just ask Pittsburgh and Baltimore how important it is to have a stud safety. Too bad Allen never panned out.

Date: January 19, 2009 06:35PM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: January 19, 2009 06:47PM

Someone threw Duke Robinson's name out there, and I say why not? We need major help on the O line. We STARTED something with Long, we didn't complete it. What do we have R&R in the backfield for if they can't run? There are several good tackles which will go in the first round, what if one of them slips to us? You also have to see what quality LB/DE is available. What if someone like Laurinaitis is there at 25? We need all of the positions mentioned in the first post, but I'm betting with our first round pick that once again we go either O line or LB/DE.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:25AM

Pass rush is a major need for us. But, we are also all set with Merling, Langford, Starks, Holliday, and Dotson at DE. Given the financial commitments to those first 4 guys, I don't see us taking another DE. Rookie DE are notorious for struggling to rush the passer. Remember when everyone thought Mario Williams was a huge bust? DE get by in college on pure athelticism, but in the NFL, they need to learn technique. You have to hope that a big improvement in our pass rush comes from an improved Merling and Langford. At 260 lbs, I think Wake has a chance to be an an everydown player. He's certainly fast enough to cover a TE. I think you will see him starting with Roth backing him up. I think Anderson will replace Moses as Porter's primary backup. Anderson is very fast, and has some good pass rush skills. I also wouldn't rule out a trade of Joey Porter. Other than the pass rush, he didn't contribute much else this season. He's older and has a monster contract. But, his value may never be higher. If some team that thinks they are an outside pass rusher away from being dominant comes offering a late 1st rd pick, I think Parcells and Ireland would be tempted. As for another source of an improved pass rush, it could come in the form of a replacement for Channing Crowder. Crowder blitzed a lot this season, and with almost no positive results. If he could be upgraded by a better blitzer (James Laurinaitis?), that would help.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 20, 2009 08:29AM

#25 WILLIAM MOORE FS

#44 HERMAN JOHNSON G

#57 VICTOR HARRIS CB

#89 DARRY BECKWITH ILB

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 20, 2009 04:33PM

DaytonaDolfan, if we can pull that draft off I would be ecstatic

Pick up another receiver like Quan Cosby or Ramses Barden, Eilimimian with some late picks

Sign T.J and Derrick Ward and Jim Leonard and we could be dominant

Picture Long and Johnson or Duke Robinson on the o-line, We are also getting a few guys that went out injured back in the o-line

Date: January 20, 2009 05:31PM

Our biggest need is still ILB. I wouldn't mind if we drafted 2. It's starting to appear like Crowder won't be a Dolphin next year, and the rest of our ILBs are average or below.

We can draft a Safety, but don't expect him to beat out Hill next year. Rookie safeties typically take 2-3 years to really mature and become starter material. I don't care HOW good he is.

We could pick up a CB for depth, but I wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on one.

We need help at WR. Can we pick up a star in the 1st round?

I think we're pretty set at O-Line. Perhaps we'll pick up a Guard in Rounds 4-7.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 20, 2009 06:25PM

Date: January 20, 2009 07:28PM

Maybe that DRAFT was too good, here's another look. More realistic- Herm is good stretch.

1- 25 HERMAN JOHNSON G LSU
2A-45 SEAN SMITH FS UTAH
2B-57 VICTOR HARRIS CB VT
3- 89 DARRY BECKWITH ILB LSU
4- 121 PAT WHITE WR WV
5- 153 COYE FRANCIES CB SJS
7- 185 GREG CARR WR FSU

Date: January 21, 2009 02:26AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> Maybe that DRAFT was too good, here's another
> look. More realistic- Herm is good stretch.
>
> 1- 25 HERMAN JOHNSON G LSU
> 2A-45 SEAN SMITH FS UTAH
> 2B-57 VICTOR HARRIS CB VT
> 3- 89 DARRY BECKWITH ILB LSU
> 4- 121 PAT WHITE WR WV
> 5- 153 COYE FRANCIES CB SJS
> 7- 185 GREG CARR WR FSU

Give it a rest. How many times do you have to post the same thing?

Date: January 21, 2009 02:38AM

eesti Wrote:
> I hope we draft
> two ILB's in this draft as well. A stud in the
> first round and another in round 3 or so.
>
> I think we HAVE to get a stud ILB...whoever falls
> to 25 we should grab...
>
What about Laurinaitis AND Beckwith? Maybe Daytona's list, but replacing Johnson with Laurinaitis.

Date: January 21, 2009 08:47AM

I'm not going to give it a rest. tongue sticking out smiley

This is a TERRIFIC and CONCEIVABLE MOCK DRAFT. You can't do any better.

Don't hate the PLAYER hate the GAME.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Date: January 21, 2009 08:51AM

Do you think the DOLPHINs will take another chance on a LB from OHIO STATe with their first choice again (like in DALLAS with Carpenter, not to mention JETS gholston)?

Our would they DRAFT a G who's a SHAQ CLONE from LSU? Imagine the wildcat formation with a GIANT G moving over to LT and a WR that can chuck it....hmmmm

Date: January 21, 2009 01:39PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> Do you think the DOLPHINs will take another chance
> on a LB from OHIO STATe with their first choice
> again (like in DALLAS with Carpenter, not to
> mention JETS gholston)?
>
> Our would they DRAFT a G who's a SHAQ CLONE from
> LSU? Imagine the wildcat formation with a GIANT G
> moving over to LT and a WR that can chuck
> it....hmmmm

Guards aren't drafted in the first round. It's a waste of a pick. A Guard is not going to be a game-changing player.

BTW: Gholston wasn't a LB, and what will we do with a Guard when we have a major hole right in the middle of our defense? Crowder is pretty much gone, and Ayodele is barely serviceable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2009 01:42PM by montequi.

Date: January 21, 2009 01:41PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> I'm not going to give it a rest. tongue sticking out smiley
>
> This is a TERRIFIC and CONCEIVABLE MOCK DRAFT. You
> can't do any better.
>
> Don't hate the PLAYER hate the GAME.

Why must you keep repeating yourself. Put some thought into your posts. You posted the same damn thing on 3 different threads. I don't care how proud you are of yourself and your mock draft, it's stupid to post the same damn thing over and over again.

Date: January 21, 2009 02:46PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 22, 2009 04:35AM

Victor "Macho" Harris/CB/Virginia Tech: Harris has been anything but macho in Mobile and was consistently beaten in practice Wednesday. He plays very soft in coverage and gave up receptions down the field on a number of occasions.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.