Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland tipped his hand on the Finsiders...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ireland tipped his hand on the Finsiders...
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 04, 2013 06:34PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland tipped his hand on the Finsiders...
Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 05, 2013 01:59AM

This is good insight....but...it could also be deliberate 'tipping' to create that impression for leverage.

They are currently negotiating with Bush and company...so publicly extolling the virtues of Millar, and highlighting the youth movement lets Bush know...we are really willing to move on...so if you want to be a Dolphin....it has to be a bargain deal for us.

I am always skeptical of any info devulged by GM's...there is usually a method when they allow any info out of their office.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 05, 2013 02:34AM

Just like when he "tipped his hand" before the 2008 draft that we thought the best player in the draft was a defensive lineman.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 05, 2013 02:56AM

I like Jesse a lot and appreciate his approach, however that was a puff piece interview to try and sell tickets and mark the kickoff of next years ticket sales... So coincidentally the entire interview was based on young players and the exciting potential this offseason.. I think Reshad Jones was the oldest player he mentioned... Ross sent Ireland in there for Jesse and Ireland to help get people excited and sell tickets... When the host and the guy being interviewed both work for the same guy, you have to take it with a grain of salt IMO..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 02:59AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 05, 2013 04:00AM

I think you are reading too much into it BNF.

Just by the numbers:

If we are already the 2nd youngest team in the league and we have set ourselves up to purge 10 or more veteran players we can add 4-7 veteran players of similar age, to go with our 9 draft picks and still get younger.

In general, I agree with your observation that we will look to sign younger players wherever possible, but I don't for a minute believe that means we won't sign a few guys who doesn't fit that profile but fill a need and fit our scheme.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 05, 2013 04:42AM

I do believe I am the one that said Matthews was going to be a stud.... I caught flack on it so don't be suddenly jumping on the bandwagon.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:23AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do believe I am the one that said Matthews was
> going to be a stud.... I caught flack on it so
> don't be suddenly jumping on the bandwagon.

Might wanna wait till he actual does something before you start gloating

Date: February 05, 2013 05:39AM

Throw enough crap at the wall and some of it is bound to stick.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 05, 2013 07:22AM

Yea yea I get the biz dynamics going on and tic sales etc. And I could be reading too much into the conversation but...

I just got the distinct impression Ireland was genuinely comfortable -- and therefore secure in being totally transparent about his "plan," which is nothing more than LOADING THE ROSTER with players that fit the collaborative spec between him and Philbin. And he went out of his way to make sure it was openly declared the stockpile of draft picks, number of team UFA's and salary cap surplus was "by design."

So yea. I think this team is in still in a serious YOUTH MOVEMENT with the core timing built around drafting Thill last year and putting the pieces in place for optimal performance right about the time the Lady hangs up her nylons in NE.

Tricky stuff. But there is a plan in place to become the next dominant team in the AFC East. Of course the best lain plans of Dolphins and man often go awry. Still...I just think Ireland is totally down with letting all parties know he's in the process of purging any Parcellian remnants and redesigning the core template in HIS IMAGE (and of course Philbin was Ireland's hire and NOT of the Parcellian persuasion).

Thus and therefore, Jeff Ireland certifiably OWNS the entire architecture of Dolphinland. And he's letting everyone know -- including press fans players and whoever else that he's the one with Caesar's power. Personally I'm glad he's feeling so confident and self-assured about his "position" and the teams future...

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 05, 2013 09:01AM

I don't think it's any major secret that Philbin and Ireland would rather build thru the draft, I just think there's too many holes to fill and too much at stake for them not to dip their toes in the FA pool. I predict one major signing (Jennings/Wallace/Bowe) and some second tier guys that could possibly start or be solid back-ups. He's proven ever since Parcells left that he's not in a big hurry to overpay for older pricey FA's.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 05, 2013 09:23AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Yea yea I get the biz dynamics going on and tic
> sales etc. And I could be reading too much into
> the conversation but...
>
> I just got the distinct impression Ireland was
> genuinely comfortable -- and therefore secure in
> being totally transparent about his "plan," which
> is nothing more than LOADING THE ROSTER with
> players that fit the collaborative spec between
> him and Philbin. And he went out of his way to
> make sure it was openly declared the stockpile of
> draft picks, number of team UFA's and salary cap
> surplus was "by design."
>
> So yea. I think this team is in still in a serious
> YOUTH MOVEMENT with the core timing built around
> drafting Thill last year and putting the pieces in
> place for optimal performance right about the time
> the Lady hangs up her nylons in NE.
>
> Tricky stuff. But there is a plan in place to
> become the next dominant team in the AFC East. Of
> course the best lain plans of Dolphins and man
> often go awry. Still...I just think Ireland is
> totally down with letting all parties know he's in
> the process of purging any Parcellian remnants and
> redesigning the core template in HIS IMAGE (and of
> course Philbin was Ireland's hire and NOT of the
> Parcellian persuasion).
>
> Thus and therefore, Jeff Ireland certifiably OWNS
> the entire architecture of Dolphinland. And he's
> letting everyone know -- including press fans
> players and whoever else that he's the one with
> Caesar's power. Personally I'm glad he's feeling
> so confident and self-assured about his "position"
> and the teams future...

I dont know Ireland also made it pretty clear that his approach to the draft and players he looks for has not changed at all over the years...He specifically said exactly that yesterday.... He is still going after the same type of players from the Parcells era according to him. Big, smart, fast, high character guys which is what he has said since day 1 as our GM and repeated yesterday....
He also made it a point to say he went against his own principals and draft rules when he drafted Tannehill. That being dont draft a QB who doesnt have at least 30 college starts... But he thought Ryan was intelligent, athletic, had the proper size and build with a 4.55 yard 40, so he went ahead and broke his own rules to draft him...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:12AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I don't think it's any major secret that Philbin
> and Ireland would rather build thru the draft, I
> just think there's too many holes to fill and too
> much at stake for them not to dip their toes in
> the FA pool. I predict one major signing
> (Jennings/Wallace/Bowe) and some second tier guys
> that could possibly start or be solid back-ups.
> He's proven ever since Parcells left that he's not
> in a big hurry to overpay for older pricey FA's.

That's the word that was put out there by Miami's FO -- build thru the draft. That's the way it's going to be, but the only way to really hit on the draft is to bring in at least two immediate starters thru FA, then work your draft around that.

Any GM/Coach would be satisfied (if not thrilled) if they can draft three immediate starters with the rest of the picks contributing.

I also agree with Ireland's philosophy to not overpay for ANYONE. However, that could possibly change with one of the available FA WRs out there. I'm still picking Wallace to be that guy.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: February 05, 2013 10:10PM

Permanent rebuild mode, because the GM has no answers.

People need to wake up and realize this Ireland is nothing but a sham.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 06, 2013 05:55AM

I do like the vibe I get from Ireland. he is calmly in control with no need to win a popularity contest with fans.

I am confident that he will be able to bring in solid players at any position.

My only hesitation with Ireland is.....other than drafting Tannehill...which may or may not have been a Ross choice.....I don't see any 'Playmakers' in his acquisitions.

At some point he needs to demonstrate that once he has a foundation built...he can find the finishing pieces.

Date: February 06, 2013 06:49AM

One thing I am picking up on is that Ireland is distancing himself from the Poorsells project. He now has his own coach and is finding players to fit the new schemes.

Contrary to what some believe, this is not done in one off season. I tend to believe what he has been saying about this off season being part of the major plan.

I'm sure this is how he sold himself to Ross in the first place after the BP oil spill left and we started the cleanup. You know Ireland outlined this offseason in his plan to Ross. That's why he was retained.

I also think there were major disagreements between Ireland and Parcels and that was a factor in his jumping ship. I think that is a good thing as we have all seen project big fail miserably without a QB.

I have stated before I am leary but I still want to see the plan unfold before I condemn him to Anthrax Island.

Admit it or not there is no way to place all of the blame at eithers feet since we have no idea what went on from 2008 to 2010. If Ireland finds success now then we will have a pretty good idea as to what happened.

Ireland started getting graded for his own actions in 2011 once he was TRULY on his own. His mistake then was not cleaning house immediately.

We have more ammo this year then we have ever had. It is going to be pretty hard to screw this one up.

He has good coaches in place. Our defense was decent in the first year transition but we need to add secondary players that better fit the scheme. This should take us to the next level.

We have an offensive minded coach in place that has been successfull and seems to be far better off than Cam Cameron ever was....and we are not depending on a offensive line coach to run the entire team as a rookie.

Now it's time to go shopping at the new and used store!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 06, 2013 06:58AM

eesti: We have an offensive minded coach in place

That will be a huge plus for tannehills improvement.

Also i always though philbin had a lot to do with the drafting of tannehill.

I mean ireland had his chances to pick a QB in the first round and never did until now.

coincidence that he picked a QB with our first round pick with almost no college experience?

I think it was philbins idea.

Date: February 06, 2013 07:00AM

And if tannehill develops into a great QB ......Then joe philbin made it possible for ireland to get out of the doghouse.

Depending on tannehills development....will be irelands future with this team.

He's been on thin ice for a while.

Date: February 06, 2013 07:09AM

As far as this thread goes...

"We will have the youngerst team in the league next year"

I knew its going to take a while.

Now im expecting for this organization to clean house big time.

tannehill better be the guy or else this rebuilding thing is never going to end.

Weve been rebuilding for years now.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 07, 2013 10:05AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> As far as this thread goes...
>
> "We will have the youngerst team in the league
> next year"
>
>
> I knew its going to take a while.
>
>
> Now im expecting for this organization to clean
> house big time.
>
> tannehill better be the guy or else this
> rebuilding thing is never going to end.
>
> Weve been rebuilding for years now.

The rebuilding is over!!!

This year Ireland has to get it right, and the majority of the guys he signs must become starters or important role players.

If he gets those guys, Miami will be in the running for the AFC East championship (but will fall just short), and Ireland's job is safe. Next year they are in the playoffs.

If Miami fails to do much more than they have been, Ireland is gone, with possibly Philbin following in his footsteps.

This is the year the Miami Dolphins make their push.

Date: February 07, 2013 10:42AM

and you also don't want to max out the cap this year because of the FA's next year....Incog, Jerry, Misi, Soliai, Carpenter, Bess, Denney, Rashad Jones is a RFA.

Although Bess, Jerry, Carpenter and Incog may be fighting for spots this year.

Date: February 07, 2013 10:48AM

It's only the Y2 for this regime and maybe Y3 for Ireland (post Parcells) so the "rebuilding" is probably at it's zenith this offseason. I mean that's precisely the point Ireland is making relative to (a) the accumulated draft picks and (b) UFA situation along with (c) salary cap space.

Don't expect a finished product this coming year, but the following season is when all bets are called in.

Don't worry. Be happy.

BNF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.