HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Julius Peppers
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Julius Peppers
Posted by: noetic ()
Date: January 17, 2009 07:54AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Julius Peppers
Date: January 17, 2009 08:03AM

dam u beat me 2 da punch i was juz bout 2 start dis topic, he says he is eyeing a 3-4 team cuz he thinks he will reach his full potential in that scheme, we went after calvin pace last year so i expect us to go after peppers also, if we sign him we will bolster our defense

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 17, 2009 09:38AM

MiamiDolphins4Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dam u beat me 2 da punch i was juz bout 2 start
> dis topic

ugh

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 18, 2009 01:52AM

..........uh, yeah.......confused smiley

We be dis in me fro? I dis in no bode yo!

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: January 18, 2009 05:35AM

hahaha... nothing sounds as graceful or poetic as reading phony, typed out Ebonics to yourself.

But seriously though, I sayin' dat dis be like da best way to get dem Dolphins a real pass rush cuz Peppers be a real beast, not like "Popcorn Muscles" J-peezy who's numba's be inflated cuz he be blitzin on every play

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 18, 2009 05:56AM

So where does he fit in Miami's 3-4? What do we do? Get rid of Porter?

How do you figure Porter is blitzing on every play? He is the designated pass rusher in a 3-4 defense.

I agree that Porter was somewhat of a liability in the run game but do you think they would trade him after the season he had? What would that do for the chemistry of the defense? He is a leader and the players like him.

It would be nice if we could get a high draft pick for Porter but I'm not sure it is the right thing to do or if they will do it. What is Porter worth? A second rounder?

It would definitely follow what Sporano was saying...that we need to get bigger, faster & stronger.

Porter disappeared late in the season but Peppers disappeared for the Panthers in their playoff loss to the Cardinals...so he is not all that dominant.

and just because Peppers thinks he would excel in a 3-4 doesn't mean he would. He could be like another Terrell Suggs though...but better...who knows?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: January 18, 2009 06:17AM

I hear you. I agree with a lot of those concerns. Actually, I'm more interested in unloading Porter than signing Peppers.

I think Porter is a huge liability in run defense and coverage. The only thing he does well is get to the QB at least once a game out of the 30 times he pass rushes during that game. I think we absolutely shop him after the year he had. This is the time to strike, while the iron is hot, coming off the season he had (sack wise anyway). Maybe a team desperate for that kind of one dimensional pass rushing linebacker will be interested in him. His weaknesses on defense definitely hurt us at times.

I don't know about chemistry, but I'd be willing to give up a 2nd round pick and Joey Porter for Rey Maualaluga. I think that guy is a beast and potentially a real star. A linebacking core of Crowder, Maualaluga, Roth, and Ayodele would be an immediate upgrade in my opinion.

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: January 18, 2009 07:35AM

eesti Wrote:
> It would be nice if we could get a high draft pick
> for Porter but I'm not sure it is the right thing
> to do or if they will do it. What is Porter
> worth? A second rounder?

I brought up this question 3 months ago and got butchered for it.

But anyway, I think with a guy like Julius Peppers, there's always room. It might require a bit of trickery, but Sparano seems all about bending the unwritten rules of football in order to put the best team out there. We could definitely get Porter and Peppers out on the field at the same time, without going to the 4-3.

Date: January 18, 2009 08:07AM

j taylor will likely be cut. would you rather have him back at lower salary with no draft compensation or peppers thru a trade. I'd rather resign JT--I bet he'd want to come back.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 18, 2009 08:11AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> j taylor will likely be cut.

No way. I can't see the Skins throwing a way a 2nd-round draft pick like that. They'll be hanging on to Taylor for at least one more season to see if they can get some value out of him.

Date: January 18, 2009 08:38AM

noetic Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> But anyway, I think with a guy like Julius
> Peppers, there's always room. It might require a
> bit of trickery, but Sparano seems all about
> bending the unwritten rules of football in order
> to put the best team out there. We could
> definitely get Porter and Peppers out on the field
> at the same time, without going to the 4-3.

If you put them both on the field then one of them has to play a position they have failed at in the past. Both players were used on the strong side before and both failed miserably.

.....................................................................................

Date: January 18, 2009 10:15AM

montequi Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > j taylor will likely be cut.
>
> No way. I can't see the Skins throwing a way a
> 2nd-round draft pick like that. They'll be
> hanging on to Taylor for at least one more season
> to see if they can get some value out of him.

they are probably second only to us in throwing away picks. he's got a big salary so it would not shock me if they dumped him.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:08AM

Peppers is strictly a DE not an OLB. Peppers would take Vonnie Hollidays spot if he were to sign with us.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:57AM

In response to a few posts....

1) JT won't be back in Miami. He and Parcells hate each other. Plus JT won't want to participate in OTA's. Which with our NEW coaching staff is mandatory. Not to mention he will undermine what Pennington did all last year. Having the offense stay late after practice to do more work. How can Chad talk players into doing that when you have a guy on the roster who won't show up till "he has to" and do "as little as possible" except on gamedays. JT is finished as a Miami Dolphin.

2) Peter King is reporting Miami might give up their 1st round pick for Peppers. Said it on the radio today. That is KING saying that (not me). I don't want Peppers in Miami. Not for a first round pick at least.

Date: January 19, 2009 08:06AM

i beleive peppers CAN play 3-4, hes ways around 290 i think and has real good speed, datz a 3-4 body

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:11AM

How about peppers for a #2? hmmmm

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:31AM

toko34 Wrote:
> How about peppers for a #2? hmmmm

Some team will give up a #1 for him. Don't be shocked if NE gets in the mix!

Date: January 19, 2009 09:12AM

He said he wants to play in a 3-4 but probably at OLB. It would be nice if he could fit in a DE in a Richard Seymour type of role. He is 280 and runs a 4.5 40.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 19, 2009 03:42PM

If Peppers becomes available I think we should sign him if we can. I would not trade a draft pick because their is so much linebacker talent in the draft that potentially could be better than Peppers in our 3-4 alignment. For instance Clay Matthews is going to be a star in this leauge like his father was, and I would take him with one of our 2 picks in the 2nd round. He hasn't even scratched the surface of how good a player he can be at the next level. Their are also other players like Brian Orapko that could be available when we pick in the 1 st round as well. I'm just saying that the way our coaches are that they will find talent in the draft so trading for Peppers might not be the best way for us to use our picks.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 05:55PM

Hmmm.... give up a 1st round pick at #25 for an all-pro LBer? No brainer! There are no guarentees with the pick and you get one with Peppers. Please!!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 06:01PM

Date: January 19, 2009 06:05PM

Date: January 19, 2009 06:10PM

He's a DE in a 4-3 who weighs 280 but runs a 4.5 40. It would be a waste to put him at DE in a 3-4. He was complaining about being a strong side DE before where he got only 2 1/2 sacks. I doubt very much that he is trying to go to a 3-4 because he wants to play a run stuffing DE to occupy blockers with no glory as a pass rusher.

Date: January 19, 2009 06:26PM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: January 20, 2009 01:15AM

Two things from that article stands out:

1) 17 million
2) Two first-round draft picks in return.

So you can forget about him. Besides, I see this year as another rebuilding year, not much different than the first. I don't see a lot of trickery, trading, or digging us into a financial hole. They'll continue to do what they've done - turn over every rock, maximize productivity out of average players, and build through the youth of the draft.

Date: January 20, 2009 04:27AM

Date: January 20, 2009 04:46AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
> Two things from that article stands out:
>
> 1) 17 million
> 2) Two first-round draft picks in return.
>
> So you can forget about him. Besides, I see this
> year as another rebuilding year, not much
> different than the first. I don't see a lot of
> trickery, trading, or digging us into a financial
> hole. They'll continue to do what they've done -
> turn over every rock, maximize productivity out of
> average players, and build through the youth of
> the draft.

The panthers have two Pro Bowl players to get signed this year and they can't franchise both of them (Jordan Gross) and they are only 10 mil under the cap. Peppers has said he does not want to be in Carolina. Are they going to franchise a player who does not want to be there? I guess we will see.

I don't see us making a play for either one. The rumor is that Miami wants Carey back and were not impressed with the o-line coach they just fired. I think they will invest in him and hope he returns to form under better coaching. I think we will make a hard run at Jason Brown from Baltimore...and Crowder will be gone because they want a playmaker at ILB. We just signed two pass rushers to develope and your are right that it goes against what Miami is trying to do by signing the big contract DE. I think our first pick will be an ILB.

Date: January 20, 2009 06:26AM

Date: January 20, 2009 06:30AM

Posted by: wayne ()
Date: January 20, 2009 07:57AM

Peppers is athletic enough to play the SLB spot and can you imagine Julius and Joey cashing the pocket from each side.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.