HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          State of the AFC East
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
State of the AFC East
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 13, 2009 06:15AM

New England:

It looks like NE will have to re-tool in the offseason. Their OC has fled to Denver and their GM Pioli may be headed to Kansas City. Matt Cassel will be traded to the Vikings if Brady is ready for camp. The bad part about that is NE will net a 1st and 2nd round pick for Cassel (23 & 55).

Free Agents: Matt Cassel, Matt Gutierrez, Heath Evans, Kyle Eckel, Jabar Gaffney, Larry Izzo, Rodney Harrison, James Sanders

New York Jets:

It looks like Rex Ryan will be the new HC in NY. Brett Favre will retire. They will be looking for a new QB thru FA or the draft.

Free Agents: Jesse Chatman, Mike Nugent, Eric barton, Justin Miller,

Buffalo:

They have the number 11 & 42nd pick in the draft and need pass rush help, a center, a CB and a TE. They are really not in bad shape other than poor coaching and a QB who lost his confidence.

Free Agents: JP Losman, Gibran Hamdan, Kirk Chambers, Duke Preston, Jabari Greer, George Wilson.

Wow...everyone is the East has QB problems except the Dolphins?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: State of the AFC East
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 13, 2009 06:23AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New England:
>
> Matt Cassel will be traded to the Vikings if Brady is
> ready for camp. The bad part about that is NE
> will net a 1st and 2nd round pick for Cassel (23 &
> 55).

Source?

> Wow...everyone is the East has QB problems except
> the Dolphins?

Really? I think we have some holes to fill.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 13, 2009 06:31AM

eesti, you think Brady and Cassel are QB problems? Really?

We will have our work cut out for us next season. But we have a great base to work from, finally.

Date: January 13, 2009 07:39AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> eesti, you think Brady and Cassel are QB problems?
> Really?
>
> We will have our work cut out for us next season.
> But we have a great base to work from, finally.

Yes I think not knowing the status of Brady next year is a problem. No one knows yet whether or not he will be ready for next year after problems with his surgery.

Matt Cassel is an UFA so they will have to franchise him to keep him which means they will have to pay him 12 million next year in addition to what they have to pay Brady and if they don't know the status of Brady at the time of the franchise deadline then they may end up with two high priced QB's on the roster if no deals can be reached. How many times has a team given up way to much for a QB only to find out that they were a product of the system. It could be a tough trade.

They will also be without the coach who was credited for the development and success of Brady and Cassel.

They could end up with Brady back and two high draft picks for Cassel but they may not also. What happens if they trade Cassel and then Brady has a setback or is not the same player ala Carson Palmer. This is a problem. Don't you think?

.....................................................................................

Date: January 13, 2009 07:41AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > New England:
> >
> > Matt Cassel will be traded to the Vikings if
> Brady is
> > ready for camp. The bad part about that is NE
> > will net a 1st and 2nd round pick for Cassel (23
> &
> > 55).
>
> Source?

SI.com & NFL Network

> > Wow...everyone is the East has QB problems
> except
> > the Dolphins?
>
> Really? I think we have some holes to fill.

What holes at QB do we have?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:28AM

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:29AM

Sorry I missed the "QB" part. We look to be in good shape at QB. I thought you meant that we have no problem areas to address at all.

I think the Vikings would be nuts to trade for Cassell.

Date: January 13, 2009 08:37AM

I agree. No way I would give up draft picks for a QB who may or may not be successful in another organization.

I also don't know who is the clear cut number 1 in the draft that would entice NE. There really is none.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:26AM

Cassell.........the next coming of Scott Mitchell to DET? Considering Detroit's luck, probably.

I was thinking about our division match-ups. The Patriots seem to be the only competition in our division. Thus we've got to get secondary help in the draft. Everyone has been saying Oline / DT, but I've got to go with CB. The homer in me wants Macho Harris

Date: January 13, 2009 09:56AM

I would not be disappointed with a CB as long as he can contribute from day one.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:56AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> It looks like NE will have to re-tool in the
> offseason. Their OC has fled to Denver and their
> GM Pioli may be headed to Kansas City. Matt Cassel
> will be traded to the Vikings if Brady is ready
> for camp. The bad part about that is NE will net a
> 1st and 2nd round pick for Cassel (23 & 55).
>
> If NE falls in love with one player in the draft,
> I could see Detroit looking to fix its QB problem
> by trading the #1 for Cassel.

If the Lions try to do that, someone needs to step in and block it. The Lions are bad enough as it is. That trade is something a 5th grader wouldn't do. Honestly, Cassell is a product of a system at NE. He will crash-and-burn anywhere else he goes.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:31PM

Date: January 14, 2009 04:18AM

I wouldn't think so either but according Adam Shefter, The Vikings are entertaining the idea.

I would say KC is also a candidate now that Pioli is running things...depending on who he hires as HC and OC.

Date: January 14, 2009 05:34AM

Anyone considering trading high draft picks for Cassell needs to look at our trade for A.J.Feely. A backup may look good for a part of a season, but in a different system as a fulltime starter, he may not be all he's cracked up to be. Feely was also a backup in college his senior year, like Cassell.

Date: January 14, 2009 05:56AM

I agree mostly but I think the part that will entice people is the fact that he played in all 16 games and the fact that he came in and was able to be successfull and grow after not starting since high school.

Feeley only started a few games here and there.

It is pretty impressive...and who knows...maybe he will end up being better than Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. (ok Leinart sucks) Maybe he could have been more successfull in college as well if he had the opportunity.

Time will tell.

Date: January 14, 2009 06:54AM

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: January 14, 2009 09:53AM

eesti Wrote:
>
> Wow...everyone is the East has QB problems except
> the Dolphins?

There is still the looming possibility that Parcells may leave... and if he does does he raid our coaching staff?? Does Bowles or another one of our coaches end up somewhere else regardless??

Besides those issues, we are likely going to be looking at replacing Carey at RT, because I am almost positive he will be gone through free agency this offseason. Someone is going to pay him to play LT, and we can't afford to match and have two of the top 10 paid offensive lineman in the league playing LT and RT.

Then we have other issues along the line... Smiley/Thomas coming off injury and a possible lack of confidence in Satele. That means we could be looking to try to replace/upgrade 4/5 offensive line positions.

Then there are our well-documented problems at WR and in the Secondary, and the need for better ILB play.

We overacheived this year and benifitted from an easy schedule... I think we will have a VERY hard time matching 11-5 next year if we don't have a perfect offseason that includes a draft that nets a few starters at need positions, and hit on all of our free agency additions. They did it last season, but the team was a lot less talented... to do it again is going to take a lot more work this time around.

Date: January 14, 2009 10:20AM

grooves12 Wrote:
> we are likely going to be
> looking at replacing Carey at RT, because I am
> almost positive he will be gone through free
> agency this offseason. Someone is going to pay him
> to play LT, and we can't afford to match and have
> two of the top 10 paid offensive lineman in the
> league playing LT and RT.

You ignore the intangible. He's from Miami, played college AND pro in Miami, and is finally on a winning pro team with a good coach. He may stay in Miami for less money than another team would offer him.

> Then we have other issues along the line...
> Smiley/Thomas coming off injury and a possible
> lack of confidence in Satele. That means we could
> be looking to try to replace/upgrade 4/5 offensive
> line positions.

Thomas is young, so he'll be back. I don't sense a lack of confidence on Satele. By the end of the year he was playing with 2 scrubs at Guard on both sides of him. He's also played for is 2nd coach in 2 years. I think we'll see a big improvement from Satele, whether he plays Center or Guard. His versatility will be an asset as well. As for Smiley, we'll have to see. Regardless, Guard is the easiest position to replace on the O-Line, and Sparano is an ex-O-Line coach. So, I think we'll know how to handle this.

> Then there are our well-documented problems at WR
We need ONE WR...a legit #1. With Camarillo (coming back next year) and Bess, we have some steady and reliable depth at WR. There IS a question about Ginn, but I think he can be a decent #2.

> and in the Secondary,
What is that? Our secondary was playing outstanding towards the end of the year. The one player I'd replace would be Hill, simply because Hill's tackling skills are sub-par (but his instincts are good!). We still have Jason Allen and Nate Clements, who BOTH played well last year. I don't see us having problems in the secondary. I could see us franchising Bell.

> and the need for better ILB
> play.
Yes. I think THIS is our biggest hole. Ayodele is average at best, and Crowder may be gone (he may as for more money than he's worth). Of course, he IS a Florida boy, so the logic I used with Carey may apply to Crowder as well. Either way, I think we draft a stud ILB in the 1st or 2nd rounds and possibly pick up someone in free agency. Torbor should be gone.

> We overacheived this year and benifitted from an
> easy schedule... I think we will have a VERY hard
> time matching 11-5 next year if we don't have a
> perfect offseason that includes a draft that nets
> a few starters at need positions, and hit on all
> of our free agency additions. They did it last
> season, but the team was a lot less talented... to
> do it again is going to take a lot more work this
> time around.
We'll see. You can't really anticipate how tough a schedule will be at the end of the previous year. Who would have thought Atlanta, Baltimore, and Miami would have been as good as they were with rookie coaches (and 2 rookie QBs!!)? Who anticipated that the Jets and Cardinals would be as good as they were? What about the collapses in Buffalo, Dallas, and Denver? How about the Brady's injury? What about Brett Favre coming back and being traded to the Jets? How about the lowly Lions? The re-emergence of Minnesota? So many things altered landscape of power in the NFL this past year, I don't think we can REALLY anticipate how tough our schedule will be next year.

Date: January 14, 2009 04:24PM

to address the two former posts...

I don't believe Parcels will leave...Joey said so...and Ross said so (ha)

You are right about the tackles but could you imagine having bookend tackles that could both play left or right tackle. Talk about insurance policies and versatility. We would be set for years even if they would be the two highest paid pair in the NFL. Money well spent...remember Boselli and Searcy?

I don't think Smiley will ever be useful again but I have little doubt that Thomas will. He is on schedule to be ready for camp.

I tend to agree with you and Sparano about our record next year and it being harder to make the next jump. It is hard for anyone to improve on 11-5.

I think the difference between what Carey will want and what Gross will want will not be enough to not consider the change.

I think Crowder will want to stay. Miami has become attractive again even for other FA's.

I think Jason Allen is gone and Hill re-signs but we add competition thru the draft at FS....and we don't have Nate Clements, we have Will Allen. NC is in SF.

I think we need a true stud at MLB and will get one in the draft. Next to RB, ILB is the easiest position for a rookie to adapt to...We need to get the next Demarco Ryans, Jerod Mayo or Patrick Willis.

Date: January 14, 2009 04:44PM

oh...and I have heard rumors that the staff is not satisfied with Satele. He will have to work his butt off this year and add 15 lbs of usable core strength to get a starting job next year.

Either Al Johnson will unseat him if we can re-sign him or we will make a strong push for Jason Brown.

The guy is 6'3 320 lbs. That's 15-20 lbs bigger than Satele or Johnson. He holds 4 state high school records in track for discus and shotput. He was a also member of the National Honor Society. He never missed a college start and started at tackle & guard and the final 3 years at Center.

As a Pro, he started 1 game as a rookie out of 6 games played. 12/16 as a sophomore...16/16 and 16/16 over the next two years in Baltimore. Words used to describe him include..tenacious, consistent, quick and explosive.

I think this line looks like the one we need to make Ronnie a true 1,500 yard back and Pro Bowler....

LT Long
LG Satele or new guy (or Smiley)
C Brown
RG Thomas
RT Gross

We added three new guys on the d-line last year with Starks, Langford and Ferguson. This year is the offense's turn with Brown and Gross and a draftee @ LG or Murphy to progress and earn the 4th rounder we gave up for him. Brown was a 4th rounder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2009 04:48PM by eesti.

Date: January 14, 2009 05:33PM

Date: January 15, 2009 03:28AM

eesti Wrote:
> I think Jason Allen is gone
Why? He's signed through 2012. Unless he has trade value, I don't see us getting rid of him.

> and Hill re-signs
Maybe, but he really shouldn't be a starter.

> we
> don't have Nate Clements, we have Will Allen. NC
> is in SF.
Right. I meant Nathan Jones. Jones played VERY well for us in the last quarter of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starter next year.

>
> I think we need a true stud at MLB and will get
> one in the draft. Next to RB, ILB is the easiest
> position for a rookie to adapt to...We need to get
> the next Demarco Ryans, Jerod Mayo or Patrick
> Willis.
Agreed

Date: January 15, 2009 04:10AM

Date: January 16, 2009 02:31AM

eesti Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> -----
> > eesti Wrote:
> >
>
> > --
> > > I think Jason Allen is gone
> > Why? He's signed through 2012. Unless he has
> > trade value, I don't see us getting rid of him.
>
> I just don't think the production matches the
> price tag. His cap hit this year was almost 2
> million...for 33 tackles. I think Nathan Jones
> outplayed him and for only a 600k cap hit.
>
I said the same thing about Ginn and most people disagreed with me.
Allen did show himself to be somewhat productive last year, albeit inconsistent. He played well on special teams as well. I'm sure there will be an open competition in camp at CB and Safety, but I doubt we'll see a free agent really outplay JA enough to justify us getting rid of him. An extra 2 million won't help us sign a decent RFA, and we have enough cap room to get some UFAs.

> > > and Hill re-signs
> > Maybe, but he really shouldn't be a starter.
> >
> > > we
> > > don't have Nate Clements, we have Will Allen.
> > NC
> > > is in SF.
> > Right. I meant Nathan Jones. Jones played
> VERY
> > well for us in the last quarter of the season.
> I
> > wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starter
> next
> > year.
>
> He's gonna surplant Will Allen or Goodman? I
> think we definately resign Goodman.
>
If we don't re-sign Goodman, we could go with Jones.

Date: January 16, 2009 11:38AM

montequi Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> -----
> > montequi Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > eesti Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > --
> > > > I think Jason Allen is gone
> > > Why? He's signed through 2012. Unless he
> has
> > > trade value, I don't see us getting rid of
> him.
> >
> > I just don't think the production matches the
> > price tag. His cap hit this year was almost 2
> > million...for 33 tackles. I think Nathan Jones
> > outplayed him and for only a 600k cap hit.
> >
> I said the same thing about Ginn and most people
> disagreed with me.
> Allen did show himself to be somewhat productive
> last year, albeit inconsistent. He played well on
> special teams as well. I'm sure there will be an
> open competition in camp at CB and Safety, but I
> doubt we'll see a free agent really outplay JA
> enough to justify us getting rid of him. An extra
> 2 million won't help us sign a decent RFA, and we
> have enough cap room to get some UFAs.

This was Allens 3rd year and he has yet to make a real claim for a starting job. Safety or CB? What is he? I wish he would but I don't see it. If Ginn doesn't get 1000 yards this year, I will be saying the same thing about him.

Date: January 16, 2009 03:54PM

ye p we sure as heck dont have qb problems (=]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.