HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Florida vs Oklahoma
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Florida vs Oklahoma
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:03AM

What are your thoughts on the game? There were about 5 players that could potentially be Dolphins next year.

It is hard to believe that Tebow is not rated higher as a QB entering the draft. He is not a prototypical passer and runs A LOT but he does have a good strong arm and is pretty accurate. I think this guy could be very good in a couple years if he gets the chance to sit and learn to be an NFL QB...much like Henne is doing now.

Herman Johnson was unimpressive to start and was called for holding twice in the first half but Chris Brown did end up rushing the ball for over 100 yards. (122)

Brandon Spikes was also unimpressive. He did not make big plays and I did not hear his name called much. I was expecting more with all the hype entering the draft.

Tebow sounds like he will enter the draft. he was asked about whether he would be back for his senior year but said..I don't know...which really means NO.

Percy Harvin was very impressive. He ran the wildcat and ended up leading the Gator's in rushing....9/122/1. He is also bigger than I thought...and he benches 450 lbs....reminds me of Peter Warrick in college.

I would not be disappointed to have Harvin or the other wideout for Florida, Louis Murphy who is big and fast and has good hands.

Jauqin Eglasias showed some potential as well.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Florida vs Oklahoma
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:10AM

Herman Johnson plays for LSU.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:11AM

I think you meant Duke Robinson.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:12AM

I thought Spikes had a great game and was in on almost all the running plays. But you got to think Oklahoma passes *ALOT*. Most of the tackles will be made in the secondary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2009 05:12AM by Aqua&Orange.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:16AM

Great point about the strength of Percy Harvin. He is what I wish Ted Ginn was. I don't understand all of the comparisions of some posters on here between Ginn and Steve Smith. Yes both have great speed, but that is where the comparisons end. Steve Smith is physical enough to beat press coverage at the line of scrimmage. Ted Ginn is not strong enough physically to win those battles.

Percy Harvin's commitment in the weight room will give him an added dimension in the NFL that Ted Ginn simply does not yet have, which is the ability to overpower defensive backs who try to play physical.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:44AM

Would you guys pick Harvin? He has blazin speed and is a quick-scat type WR. Very similiar to Smith.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:47AM

While it's true that most running QBs don't fare well in the NFL, Tebow can throw. And now that some college-like formations have become popular again in the NFL (wildcat, etc) you never know.

I wouldn't mind Tebow as a backup but of course he'll be a starter with a more desperate team. If / when he does "fail" as a starter in a couple years, that's when it'd be good to sign him as a backup.

Also, what do you all think about Tebow being a Jim Jensen-type of player? I wouldn't mind having another Crash on our squad.

ETA: congrats to the Gators overall. Any team who dashes the hopes of a Nick Saban team deserves to be rewarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2009 05:48AM by JC.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:50AM

At the beginning of the college season I would have said no to Harvin. But with how much size and strength he's added, I think you would have to consider taking him. Harvin is the closest WR in terms of build, power, and speed to Steve Smith.

Keep in mind, what we saw of Harvin last night is him at not even 100%.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:50AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you meant Duke Robinson.

Yeah...the Duke.

>I thought Spikes had a great game and was in on almost all the running plays.

How do you figure? I watched most of the game but saw nothing to prove he played "great". Like I said, they did give up 122 yards to Brown. He may have been good but not great. He had no big plays like Tackle for loss or sacks or int's or forced fumbles or recoveries. Please explain.

.....................................................................................

Date: January 09, 2009 05:54AM

There are some mocks that have Tebow going to the Jets @ 17...not that this means anything.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 06:01AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 09, 2009 06:44AM

I would take Tebow if he drops to the 4th round or later. He could run the wildcat and play RB, TE, WR...kind of like Jim Jensen. I don't see him as an every-down QB.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 06:50AM

I think Tebow is rated low also. Definately think he is a first rounder, he can make all the passes and has great touch just was not asked to throw consistentl in Fl O.

I would pass on FL receivers. I am a Gator liver but in recent history they have not had much success in the NFL. I actually like OK WR better.

Can not judge Spikes or Duke by one game. Spikes had one play where he took both the OLineman and the RB out it was impressive.

I did like both teams db's all though I do not think anyone from UF will be in the draft

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 07:36AM

Great point about the strength of Percy Harvin. He is what I wish Ted Ginn was. I don't understand all of the comparisions of some posters on here between Ginn and Steve Smith. Yes both have great speed, but that is where the comparisons end. Steve Smith is physical enough to beat press coverage at the line of scrimmage. Ted Ginn is not strong enough physically to win those battles.

People are only comparing him to Smith during his first couple of years. Basically saying to give him the same time Smith had to develop the skills you are talking about, because Smith did not have them in his first 2 years.

Smiths Stats:

2003 Carolina Panthers 16 11 88 1,110 12.6 67T 7 11 42 3.8 14 0 5 0
2002 Carolina Panthers 15 13 54 872 16.1 69 3 1 -4 -4.0 -4 0 5 2
2001 Carolina Panthers 15 1 10 154 15.4 33 0 4 43 10.8 39 0 8 3

Date: January 09, 2009 07:59AM

I'm saying that Percy Harvin has the strength that Ted Ginn lacks. Don't talk about time to develop his strength and bulk up. Harvin is younger than Ginn and at this point is much more comparable to Steve Smith.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 09, 2009 07:59AM

montequi Wrote:
> I would take Tebow if he drops to the 4th round or
> later. He could run the wildcat and play RB, TE,
> WR...kind of like Jim Jensen. I don't see him as
> an every-down QB.

My sentiments exactly. But I also see him going in the first round, not the fourth. That's why I think our best chance to get him as that style player would be in about 3 years after the team that drafts him as a starter, gives up and dumps him.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 09, 2009 08:21AM

I think you guys are dead wrong about Tebow. If he enters the draft he should go it the first round. That being said, we are set at QB. I just hope he doesn't go to a AFC East team.

He will become a starter most likely in a year or two or if a bad team needs him. Tebow is smart and very competitive. He has a great arm that is much more accurate than he has been given credit for. He is big, strong and has quick feet. He doesn't have to run in the NFL. College is much different and many teams are looking for the Tebow type player, so over time we will see more of his type in the pros.

Tebow will become a very good QB in the pros, just wait and see.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: January 09, 2009 02:39PM

PERCY HARVIN DOES NOT BENCH 405 lbs!

The announcer last night was an idiot. This came from the same guy who confused what down it was during that big goal line stance made by Florida before the half. He erupted, "AND FLORIDA DOES IT!!! A HUGE STOP ON 4th DOWN!!!" on 3rd down. Even had me confused.

Anyway, he mentioned that "stat" about Percy Harvin, all impressed, that he benches 405lbs. That is unequivocally wrong. Harvin is 5'11 195 (which probably means he weighs closer to 185). In any event, it's actually Tim Tebow who is notorious for being that freakishly strong, supposedly being able to bench 405lbs. I remember hearing this stat during one of their inter-conference games last year when Tebow was having a really good game.

I've been into weight lifting for years, and from what I've seen and what I know about the kind of weight that serious lifters of various sizes can put up, Harvin putting up 405 is damn near impossible. It's down right shocking that Tebow can even do it at 240. An absolute weight lifting freak who weighs 195, putting up something in the neighborhood of 315, is a number maybe a little closer to approaching the vicinity of believable. But anyway, the point is, it was Tebow who supposedly holds that unofficial stat.

Posted by: Dagonet ()
Date: January 09, 2009 03:23PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 04:09PM

eesti Wrote:
> There are some mocks that have Tebow going to the
> Jets @ 17...not that this means anything.

ha ha ha only my joke mock.

I was watching to see Brandon Spikes- my socks weren't blown off

Since you accidently mention HERMAN JOHNSON of LSU, I must say that guy is HUGE. And would be terrific if he lasted till 2nd round

Date: January 10, 2009 03:24AM

He does bench 405.

eesti, not only did he tackle the OL & RB one one play (which was incredible). But, on the very first play of the game he *DRILLED* the RB in the backfield for a loss.

I think that play was forgotten after a couple plays later when the safety made that Wr's head spin around like that girl off the exorcist.

Date: January 10, 2009 03:41AM

Panteraize Wrote:
> PERCY HARVIN DOES NOT BENCH 405 lbs!
>
> The announcer last night was an idiot. This came
> from the same guy who confused what down it was
> during that big goal line stance made by Florida
> before the half. He erupted, "AND FLORIDA DOES
> IT!!! A HUGE STOP ON 4th DOWN!!!" on 3rd down.
> Even had me confused.
>
> Anyway, he mentioned that "stat" about Percy
> Harvin, all impressed, that he benches 405lbs.
> That is unequivocally wrong. Harvin is 5'11 195
> (which probably means he weighs closer to 185). In
> any event, it's actually Tim Tebow who is
> notorious for being that freakishly strong,
> supposedly being able to bench 405lbs. I remember
> hearing this stat during one of their
> inter-conference games last year when Tebow was
> having a really good game.
>
> I've been into weight lifting for years, and from
> what I've seen and what I know about the kind of
> weight that serious lifters of various sizes can
> put up, Harvin putting up 405 is damn near
> impossible. It's down right shocking that Tebow
> can even do it at 240. An absolute weight lifting
> freak who weighs 195, putting up something in the
> neighborhood of 315, is a number maybe a little
> closer to approaching the vicinity of believable.
> But anyway, the point is, it was Tebow who
> supposedly holds that unofficial stat.

Just because you can't do it doesn't man that he can't. When I was about 25 years old, I weighed about 185 and could bench 300 lbs. At 185, I wasn't nearly as big as Harvin so I have no doubt that he could do it. He looks like a gym rat and probably spends a lot more time in the gym than I did at 25.

Urban Meyer calls Percy Harvin the strongest guy pound-for-pound on the Florida roster.

Now with that being said, I don't think you put up that kind of weight without performance enhancers...

The NCAA, which spends $4 million annually on its entire testing program, historically has between one and two percent of the tests return with positive traces of banned substances.

The NCAA will test 13,500 student-athletes this year.

In the testimony, the unidentified man said his close friend "supplied seven to eight players on the team with steroids." He also said his experiences reflects other big-time Division I programs.

A former NCAA player said the NCAA's testing procedure was "weak and predictable," making it easy for athletes to take steroids without punishment.

Posted by: greg woulf ()
Date: January 10, 2009 05:40AM

I'm not saying he didn't use steroids, 'cause I don't have a clue, but steroids leave a mark, and I don't see it on him. He didn't have a drastic weight gain, his head didn't grow or anything like that.

I wouldn't accuse him of it so quickly.

Date: January 10, 2009 06:44AM

Date: January 10, 2009 09:36AM

A little FYI on the bench press for you Panteraize. Mike Gentry, who is the strength and conditioning coach at Virginia Tech is a good friend of mine and I always help him out for the Iron Hokie training day each spring, where the players max out on several of the major lifts.

Last year, WR Eddie Royal maxed out on the bench press at 425, weighing in at 186.

So like many others on here have stated, just because you can't do it, does not mean that it can't be done.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: January 10, 2009 12:50PM

Spare me the "just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done" B.S. I didn't say anything even remotely close to that. I'm not saying "Hey...I weigh 195 and can only bench 225, that means it's impossible for anyone else my size to bench a single pound more than me because I'm obviously the strongest person in the world for my weight."

What I said was, from years of weight lifting and being around the sport, from what I've seen and what I know about the kind of weight people of various sizes can move, that doesn't add up. For the weight lifters that I have been around (some using steroids and some all natural) from college and some of the local gyms back home, to some of the competition kids 405 (give or take 20lbs) was a number that juiced up guys often weighing well over 200lbs would gravitate around. It's also strange that Harvin went from lifting 280 to 405 in less than two years. That's quite a jump.

Also, I would like to reiterate the point about how the 405lb bench press was originally attributed to Tim Tebow. I'm surprised that the Florida website you found Dagonet, claims Harvin lifts 405 when supposedly it was Tebow who they said lifts that much.

More importantly than all of this, I think it wise to take any reporting of football player's workout stats with a grain of salt and a degree of suspicion if not total disbelief. This is especially true if bench press stats are reported with anything even close to the same type of "statistical accuracy and consistency" that 40 times are reported with. That is absolutely none. Tell any track coach in the country that 12 of the players on your team run the 40 in under 4.4 seconds like Florida claims on their website and they will laugh at you. When Ben Johnson's world record 40 time is 4.38 seconds (and he was later found to be on steroids), and other world class track stars run around a 4.4, the NFL and College football's measuring procedures are clearly faulty.

Weight lifting doesn't really have this problem, but I mean, and no disrespect Hokie Phin, but Eddie Royal maxing out at 425lbs (weighing 185) seems about as believable as Joey Galloway's 4.15 second 40 yard dash clocked at Ohio State's Pro Day workout. To be fair though, I didn't know that Eddie Royal repped out the 225 combine lift 24 times, which was more than any other receiver last year. That is pretty incredible, and the max out calculation that you get from calculating a 24 rep 225lb lift comes to 385 which isn't too far from 425 I guess. It's just hard to believe these guys at their size can lift that much when some of the competition lifters are barely lifting comparable weight in that weight class.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 11, 2009 03:47PM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 11, 2009 06:06PM

Well I don't know about impossible, but I do know a close friend of my Son benched over 300 in High School. He was only 5'5" tall. I also know that Merc Morris benched over 400. People don't realize how strong Merc was. He represented Nautilus equipment at the time.

Anyway, I really don't care how much Harvin benches, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Anyone see the San Diego game? Little guys are tough to bring down.

Date: January 12, 2009 02:26AM

Yeah my old boss weighed 200 pounds and I personally seen him bench 410 pounds with my own eyes. No bull.

Date: January 12, 2009 03:43AM

Tim Tebow is returning for his senior year at Florida. Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes are also considering it.

The talent pool in the 09 draft just got a little lighter.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.