HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Report: Miami investigating trade
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Report: Miami investigating trade
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: April 09, 2015 03:14AM

Rob Rang reports....

They are "at least" gauging what it will take to move up in the draft.

I don't think we have much ammo but it sounds like they are desperate to land a top receiver. White? Cooper? (my speculation)

It would take our 2nd round pick to move up to #8 according to draft value chart.

Probably next years 1st or 2nd to go higher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Report: Miami investigating trade
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: April 09, 2015 03:24AM

This is tannenbaum's team now and that's how he operates. Make the big splashy moves thinking we're a player or 2 away. Then next year when some more glaring holes open up do the same.

Then 3 years from now in cap hell and few picks it's total rebuild time.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 09, 2015 03:25AM

Miami may be gauging what it would take, but I can't see it happening. You never know with Tannenbaum on board now, but I just don't think we have the draft capitol to do it.

Personally I think it's a smoke screen floated by either a team above us to create a trade market, or it was "leaked" by an agent to create a buzz.

Date: April 09, 2015 03:42AM

I don't thing its as serious as all the above....

It's due diligence that makes sense. You call now to see what teams are wanting for trade value so you aren't trying to call around in the crunch time of the draft should a player of interest happen to drop a bit.

If that happens, you have some idea of what the initial asking price was and you call and offer less.

You also have an idea if they are interested in anyone from your team they would take in a trade.

Like Holic said, we don't have the ammo to do much anyway unless they get creative. Tannebaum's history tells us he is just as, if not more likely to acquire multiple 1st round draft picks than give them up.

Date: April 09, 2015 04:09AM

Tannenbaums trades...

Traded John Abraham in a 3-team trade with Falcons, Jets for 2006 first round pick (#29-Nick Mangold)

Traded 2007 first round pick (#25-Jon Beason), 2007 second round pick (#59-Ryan Kalil), 2007 fifth round pick (#164-Tim Shaw) to Panthers for 2007 first round pick (#14-Darrelle Revis), 2007 sixth round pick (#191-Korey Hall)

Traded 2008 second round pick (#36-Jordy Nelson), 2008 fourth round pick (#113-Dwight Lowery) to Packers for 2008 first round pick (#30-Dustin Keller)

Traded Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, Abram Elam, 2009 first round pick (#17-Josh Freeman), 2009 second round pick (#52-David Veikune) to Browns for 2009 first round pick (#5-Mark Sanchez)

Looks to me like he is more apt to give up a player in a trade as well as get creative in 3 team trades.

Even when he traded up for Sanchez, he only gave up a 2nd round pick to move from 17 to 5! The players were inconsequential. That should have cost them a first round pick (#23 the next year).

He could also be inquiring about trading our 2nd to move into the lower 1st round to net two-first round picks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 04:11AM by JoeFootball.

Date: April 09, 2015 05:03AM

but it was for mark sanchez and what's worse is he doubled down and gave him an absurd extension.

when you do that year after year you leave the cupboard bare, in cap hell, and fired after a 4-12 season.

He had a horrible owner in NY and found another one here. He has nothing to lose. Hickey and Philbin will be the fall guys.

I don't like Tannenbaum. I thought he was bad in NY and there's nothing yet to get me to think he'll be any better here.

Date: April 09, 2015 05:41AM

Yep...the sky is falling. Why even follow this season? let alone come on a fan board to discuss it....

Date: April 09, 2015 06:06AM

You're right, Joe. Things are looking up!

When news of the wallace trade broke you said AP and a draft pick. By the end of that day you convinced yourself that getting rid of wallace's contract and a 7th for a 5th was a stroke of genius.

You have a knack of making a turd smell like a rose.

Just because I tend to be more realistic about the phins future doesn't make me less of a fan. It doesn't mean I won't watch every game, take my son on his annual Thursday night game, or discuss them on a message board.

Date: April 09, 2015 07:02AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 09, 2015 07:11AM

Joe we are used to losing and everything going bad every year.

Maybe some fans will become more positive once we start making the playoffs.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 09, 2015 11:59AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rob Rang reports....
>
> They are "at least" gauging what it will take to
> move up in the draft.
>
> I don't think we have much ammo but it sounds like
> they are desperate to land a top receiver. White?
> Cooper? (my speculation)
>
> It would take our 2nd round pick to move up to #8
> according to draft value chart.
>
> Probably next years 1st or 2nd to go higher.

I would not make such a trade, because (1) Miami does not have a 3rd rounder this year and (2) Miami is not so close that all they need is that one player to get them over the hump.

If they did trade up and got that (no doubt about it) All Pro receiver, that would look great out on the field, but would not get Miami to the promised land. A few years down the road, maybe, but not soon.

As we have all said, Miami has too many holes to fill to trade up and lose draft picks.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 09, 2015 12:16PM

For me it would depend on the player we would trade up for and the cost... I do not think we can afford to give up our 2nd rd pick this year.. We really need to come out of this draft with at least 2 starters next year... Our best chance to do that is obviously rd 1 and rd 2. For the right player I would be open to possibly trading next years 2nd... That would be as far as I would be willing to go.. I think we can get a great player at 14.. So I am not head over heals in love with the idea... Tannenbaum is known to be an aggressive front office guy but he has also had a reputation of mortgaging the future at times with his aggressiveness.. Makes me a bit nervous....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 09, 2015 04:43PM

I tried the trade up on first-pick.com. Then a few trade downs...

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 4 (OAK): Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (A+)
Round 2 Pick 23 (ARI): P.J. Williams, CB, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 22 (ARI): Marcus Hardison, DT, Arizona State (B+)
Round 4 Pick 15: David Cobb, RB, Minnesota (A+)
Round 4 Pick 24 (ARI): Mitch Morse, OT/OG, Missouri (B+)
Round 5 Pick 13: Jake Ryan, OLB/ILB, Michigan (B-)
Round 6 Pick 15: Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (cool smiley

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 10, 2015 03:26AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Tannenbaums trades...
>
> Traded John Abraham in a 3-team trade with
> Falcons, Jets for 2006 first round pick (#29-Nick
> Mangold)
>
> Traded 2007 first round pick (#25-Jon Beason),
> 2007 second round pick (#59-Ryan Kalil), 2007
> fifth round pick (#164-Tim Shaw) to Panthers for
> 2007 first round pick (#14-Darrelle Revis), 2007
> sixth round pick (#191-Korey Hall)
>
> Traded 2008 second round pick (#36-Jordy Nelson),
> 2008 fourth round pick (#113-Dwight Lowery) to
> Packers for 2008 first round pick (#30-Dustin
> Keller)
>
> Traded Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, Abram Elam,
> 2009 first round pick (#17-Josh Freeman), 2009
> second round pick (#52-David Veikune) to Browns
> for 2009 first round pick (#5-Mark Sanchez)
>
> Looks to me like he is more apt to give up a
> player in a trade as well as get creative in 3
> team trades.
>
> Even when he traded up for Sanchez, he only gave
> up a 2nd round pick to move from 17 to 5! The
> players were inconsequential. That should have
> cost them a first round pick (#23 the next year).
>
> He could also be inquiring about trading our 2nd
> to move into the lower 1st round to net two-first
> round picks.

That is definitely not a bad history to have. All of the players mentioned that he acquired ended up being big contributors. I'm sure if I did some digging I could find some GM's that have made a lot worse deals in that period of time.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 10, 2015 03:36AM

Okay so I'm sitting here trying to make up my mind. Do we A) give up the goose and make that big acqusition getting a blue chip player or do we cool smiley stock up on picks by trading down and fill our roster gaps with decent players hoping that maybe one turns out to be a surprise talent.

I used to be a guy that leaned toward the attitude of more draft picks=more chances at gold. However, after so many years of not having that star player, especially on offense, I tend to think that we probably should be going for the fences a little more. For me it boils down to a depressing fact. We aren't going for a championship this year. Hell, we will be lucky if we can slide into the wild card round. Since that's the case, why not try and get that player that solidifies a position in A+ talent for the next 5-7 years? Then build up the team in following years drafts? Maybe I'm completely wrong. I don't know anymore. confused smiley

Date: April 10, 2015 04:13AM

IMO, WE would have to be VERY lucky in how things unfold.

First, we would have to find a partner willing to move down for peanuts....that means a pick next year while not giving up our 2nd rounder this year. That future pick would likely have to be a first rounder. (I don't care for that idea)

Secondly, we would then need to trade down with our #47 to acquire a 3rd round pick.

Unless we can do that, I am against a trade up. Not with the needs we have at CB, LG & WR.

The only other way is to package players and we don't have much left we can part with....Tannenbaum traded John Abraham in the past and I'm not willing to give up Cam Wake at this point. Jordan is not feasible due to cap ramifications. If we can move up a few spots by giving up someone like Olivier Vernon to Atlanta at 8....I'm ok with that. That's 300 points or the equivalent to a low 2nd round pick for a very good DE. Atlanta gets a much need pass rusher and still has a shot to draft an OT or drop for Gurley. We get a top WR and still have our 2nd pick. That forces Jordan into the spot light. Make him earn his money...develop him.

Personally, I would just stand pat and see if Parker falls to us. If not, I trade down and take a tackle, wr in 2, CB in 3.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 10, 2015 04:21AM

If you thought Cooper or White were gonna be the next Megatron I would do it, I haven't heard anyone say 100% sure that they will be. Trading up for a WR this year really makes no sense, it's supposedly a deep draft at that position, and if you look back at past drafts WR has a fairly high bust rate.

I agree with Joe, sit back and see if Parker falls to us at 14, if he's gone fill another need in the 1st and address WR in the 2nd, hell you could even trade up in the 2nd or back into the lower part of the 1st if someone you coveted was there still. No need to panic.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: April 20, 2015 09:18PM

Date: April 21, 2015 03:45AM

Draft in 9 days!!!! Finally! Almost here. I took Friday off and am having a draft party on Thursday night. I really wish they started earlier and completed at least 2 rounds on the first day.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 05:44AM

I agree w/ the post that there is no need to trade up for a wr in this draft. There will be a good route running wr in rnd 4. Harper Fresno St, Mayle WA ST, the kid from C MI, Bell NE. Trade down if anything.

Draft assuming we trade down w/ cincy for their 3rd & 6th rnd picks.

1 Collins SS AL - Solidifies Safety position w/ Jones
2 Coleman RB IN - The thunder for Miller's lightning
3 Jones LB MI ST - Stop sign in the middle
4 Mayle WR WA ST - Big wr ex bballer
5 Richardson DT IN - Speedy DT to complement Suh
5 Harper WR FresSt - Good hands good routes Tanne likes
6 Everett G McNeese ST- Talented guard
6 Parker TE Albany- Small school nfl size

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 05:07PM

oooh I don't like the draft at all. why draft a SS, that's Jones' position. Coleman isn't anything special at #2 in a draft loaded with RBs. The rest, meh

Date: April 21, 2015 05:38PM

Collins can play either spot BUT there is no way we wait until round 4 to draft a WR. Round 2 is the lowest...and I highly doubt we draft 3 positions that are not a need with the first 3 picks. It ignores CB all together and no guard until round 6? We need a starting WR, LG and CB and possibly even DT before FS, SS, LB or RB.

Miller will have a monster year with better guard play. Probably a 1500/10 td back. We just need a complimentary short yardage RB. That's not Coleman.

No way we go into the season with Mathews as the starting split end, Taylor as the starting CB and Dallas Thomas as the starting LG....maybe under Jeff Ireland.

and don't count on Jennings as a sure fire signing after the draft. Miami is only offering 3 mil tops.

Date: April 22, 2015 04:10AM

Jones goes to FS. Collins at SS. Collins can qb the D. Jones is free to roam. Both are good run defenders.

Coleman adds power to help us sustain drives and can step in if Miller goes down w/ out a beat. No need to bring in a 1 talent guy.

I really doubt if a rookie is going to step in and start at guard in this offense. i would not draft one high.

We have cbs.

This is a deep draft at WR, Im rolling the dice and picking up 2 after rnds 1&2.

We have enough money to draft a veteran free agent G/WR after some have been cut later this summer. A veteran at these positions will contribute more than a rookie.

This draft cements our defense even further. Gives us 2 receivers w/ as much potential as any other. Another guard to develop or fail
to.

Each of these guys could make our roster. I like this draft. Its mine after all.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: April 22, 2015 05:23AM

I would not hate a safety of that caliber. 2 quality guys back there that can play either position would be nice.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 22, 2015 05:39AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Collins can play either spot BUT there is no way
> we wait until round 4 to draft a WR. Round 2 is
> the lowest...and I highly doubt we draft 3
> positions that are not a need with the first 3
> picks. It ignores CB all together and no guard
> until round 6? We need a starting WR, LG and CB
> and possibly even DT before FS, SS, LB or RB.
>
It's possible that we could wait until round 4 to draft a wr. It's not the likeliest scenario but if we signed Jennings it makes an impact wr less of a need and a developmental guy more plausible.

Landry, stills, Jennings, Matthews, hazel and a rookie is pretty good.

And why do we have to draft a cb? It's a weak class for cb, and we've already signed a few guys who are likely to play a head of any cb we could draft.

I very much doubt we draft a cb at all unless it's very late in the draft.

I think we are going oline and wr with our first three picks. That's where the value and our needs align best in this draft.

Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 05:50AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 05:43AM

Date: April 22, 2015 06:04AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Jones goes to FS. Collins at SS. Collins can qb
> the D. Jones is free to roam. Both are good run
> defenders.
>

Jones has been awful when asked to play fs.

We might draft a fs later in the draft but I don't think we are drafting another SS in the first in order to turn Jones from an asset into a detriment.

> Coleman adds power to help us sustain drives and
> can step in if Miller goes down w/ out a beat. No
> need to bring in a 1 talent guy.
>

Deep RB draft. Either take the superstar early or grab a bargain late.

> I really doubt if a rookie is going to step in and
> start at guard in this offense. i would not draft
> one high.

We don't have a full oline right now. We need at least one impact olineman (starter) or our offense is going to suck.

>
> We have cbs.
>
> This is a deep draft at WR, Im rolling the dice
> and picking up 2 after rnds 1&2.
>
> We have enough money to draft a veteran free agent
> G/WR after some have been cut later this summer. A
> veteran at these positions will contribute more
> than a rookie.

There are no veteran guards out there that are an improvement over the terrible OG's we finished this year with. Hoping one shakes loose after the draft seems more like wishful thinking than a sound strategy to improve the line for this year.

>
> This draft cements our defense even further. Gives
> us 2 receivers w/ as much potential as any other.
> Another guard to develop or fail
> to.

I don't think our defense is going to help keep rt17 on his feet. Cementing it isn't the priority if you want to be a playoff team THIS season.

>
> Each of these guys could make our roster. I like
> this draft. Its mine after all.

Lol... Yes it is.

Date: April 22, 2015 06:34AM

Jones plays FS

"Deep RB draft. Either take the superstar early or grab a bargain late. "

your opinion's as good as mine

"We don't have a full oline right now. We need at least one impact olineman (starter) or our offense is going to suck. "

and we will be better off adding a veteran rather than a rookie especially at guard which is the position we need the body at. Anyone that thinks Marpet is going to come into the nfl and start has a pipe dream.

"I don't think our defense is going to help keep rt17 on his feet. Cementing it isn't the priority if you want to be a playoff team THIS season. "

This coaching staff thinks Fox can do the job at LT til Albert returns.
James will be a better RT. Pouncey needs to earn his raise and make better calls at center and help out the guards when needed. He stinks at calling out defenses. Satele was better at this when he played C last year. As i said we should bring in a veteran G.

I hear ya Sam regarding WR again cannot get everything in one draft and I just don't think our O needs a game breaking WR over some of the other holes we have right now.

Date: April 22, 2015 06:35AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Collins can play either spot BUT there is no
> way
> > we wait until round 4 to draft a WR. Round 2 is
> > the lowest...and I highly doubt we draft 3
> > positions that are not a need with the first 3
> > picks. It ignores CB all together and no guard
> > until round 6? We need a starting WR, LG and CB
> > and possibly even DT before FS, SS, LB or RB.
> >
> It's possible that we could wait until round 4 to
> draft a wr. It's not the likeliest scenario but
> if we signed Jennings it makes an impact wr less
> of a need and a developmental guy more plausible.

Sure. Anything is possible but I am talking about probable. The FO has had WR's in and is in no rush to sign any of them. They made their stance known in that they will spend 3 mil tops for Jennings. It was basically a take it or leave it deal. Not likely to sign anyone before the draft or they would have done it already. The teams leverage increases around this time but Jennings is the best on the market and will likely wait until he is needed and demands more money.

> Landry, stills, Jennings, Matthews, hazel and a
> rookie is pretty good.

With the defenses we face this year (and offenses) , we had better be more than pretty good. We were pretty good last year (12th).

> And why do we have to draft a cb? It's a weak
> class for cb, and we've already signed a few guys
> who are likely to play a head of any cb we could
> draft.

Why do we have to? I guess we don't but judging from the moves the FO has made, I would say it's a pretty safe bet. The coaches have little faith in Taylor and Davis and you can look at the contracts paid for our FA CB's and see how much they think of them. The FO has no alliance with these former Ireland picks. Taylor could be a decent starter IF he stays healthy. That is a HUGE IF. Even that's a projection considering he was still getting burned in year 2 in limited action.

I also wouldn't say this class is weak....I would say void of stars at the top. There are plenty of prospects in rounds 1-3 who will end up getting drafted and a handful will start. The value is in round 2 and 3 IMO.

Trae Waynes, Jalen Collins, Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson, Byron Jones, PJ Williams, Eric Rowe, Josh Shaw, Ron Darby, D'Joun Smith, Steve Nelson....

> I very much doubt we draft a cb at all unless it's
> very late in the draft.

I guess we'll see in about 8 days.

> I think we are going oline and wr with our first
> three picks. That's where the value and our needs
> align best in this draft.
>
> Can't wait to see how it plays out.

So you're saying we will double up on one of those spots?

Date: April 22, 2015 07:55AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Jones plays FS

No. He's has played it (poorly) at times., but his success has been at SS. Last year delmas was the fs and

>
> "Deep RB draft. Either take the superstar early or
> grab a bargain late. "
>
> your opinion's as good as mine
>

Maybe, but only one maximizes our resources.

>
> "We don't have a full oline right now. We need at
> least one impact olineman (starter) or our offense
> is going to suck. "
>
> and we will be better off adding a veteran rather
> than a rookie especially at guard which is the
> position we need the body at. Anyone that thinks
> Marpet is going to come into the nfl and start has
> a pipe dream.

Who is this mystery veteran?

It's easy to say "We'd be better off adding a veteran." heck, let's just go get an all pro veteran... Problem is that there has to be one on the market, that you can afford and who wants to play for you.

Again, who do you have in mind? Who can we sign today who will be guaranteed to be better than any of the guys we could draft in the first or second?

>
>
> "I don't think our defense is going to help keep
> rt17 on his feet. Cementing it isn't the priority
> if you want to be a playoff team THIS season. "
>
> This coaching staff thinks Fox can do the job at
> LT til Albert returns.
> James will be a better RT. Pouncey needs to earn
> his raise and make better calls at center and help
> out the guards when needed. He stinks at calling
> out defenses. Satele was better at this when he
> played C last year. As i said we should bring in a
> veteran G.
>

Satele sucked. He's a finesse player at a power position.

We can fill one guard spot with Turner. The other right now is Walton or Thomas. Neither of which is very good.

But even if one of them pans out, we have zero depth at oline. One injury and we have the same problem we've had at the end of the last two years... Our oline implodes and our offense seizes up.

I know... Sign a veteran... That fixes everything. Would love to know who you think that guy is...

> I hear ya Sam regarding WR again cannot get
> everything in one draft and I just don't think our
> O needs a game breaking WR over some of the other
> holes we have right now.

What good is a game breaking wr if you qb only gets 2 seconds to throw the ball?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.