HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who is the better QB?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Who is the better QB?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:08AM

Poll
Who is the Better QB?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
33 votes were received.
Pennington 21

64%
Flacco 7

21%
Favre 5

15%

Respond with the reason for your answer. There's so much Pennington-bashing going on, I wanted to get an idea what everyone else thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who is the better QB?
Date: January 08, 2009 10:10AM

I forgot to add Henne. Anyway, I picked Pennington because right NOW he's the best of the bunch. There are other guys around here that don't feel that way, so I was wondering what others thought.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:12AM

This is not even close.

Put Pennington on the Ravens and they win the Superbowl hands down. They dont win it with Flacco.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:23AM

on a scale of 0-100, i rate them as follows:

Pennington 88
Flacco 85
Favre 82

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:47AM

not a Penni basher I like him, but Flacco's arm strength gives him the edge.

Posted by: phinfanjake ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:57PM

Favre is. Hall of Famer.... though he is now and egotistical has-been

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 09, 2009 04:31AM

Who is the better QB" is a pretty broad question.

Favre is in the top 5 all time so obviously he is the better QB if you are looking at careers. If you are going to judge him only over the course of the last 5 games then that is a different story but not really fair.

Chad was exremely efficient and almost a perfect fit for Miami this year but hisotrically, he has had consistency problems...due to injury or coaching or whatever but the fact is that he has not shown the abilty to win the big game or win when it counts or not end his season in tragedy.

Flacco is a rookie so to judge him after 17 games is a little premature. Any rookie that can come in and start and be successfull is very impressive. Especially when you look at the level of competition he faced as a college QB as preparation. Delaware? He did finish the regular season with 5 games over 100 QB rating. (Chad had 8)

There is some discussions going on around this board whether or nor Flacco can win a SB with the Ravens. I think he absolutely can. Trent Dilfer did it and Flacco appears to be better than Dilfer. Any time you have a dominant defense and a good running game there is a chance. Also...Dilfer only started 8 games in their SB year. Tony Banks was their QB for the first 8 weeks or so unitl he was replaced.

The last rookie to guide their team to a SB victory was Ben Roethlisberger. He also played with a great defense and running game.

Ben's stats in his rookie year:
196/295 (66.4%), 2,621 yards-17 TD, 11 Int's (98.1 rating)

Joe Flacco:
257/428 (60%), 2,971 yards-14 TD, 12 Int's (80.3 rating)

Not a huge difference but Ben was more efficient.

Chad was much better than the other two THIS YEAR...then he finished the season just like Favre finished his...horribly. Only Favre started sucking earlier in the year and sucked longer.

The Raven's did not win the game against us because of Flacco, they won despite Flacco. He was 9/23 (39%) 0TD 0 Int's with one rushing TD for a 59.1 QB rating.

If you want to know who's better, ask again in 15 years. If Flacco is still starting, has played 16 more years without missing a game, won 3 NFL MVP's, Won a SB and 2 Conference Championships and broken almost every passing record in the NFL then this topic will be relevant.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 06:03AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 09, 2009 08:06AM

"Chad was exremely efficient and almost a perfect fit for Miami this year but hisotrically, he has had consistency problems...due to injury or coaching or whatever but the fact is that he has not shown the abilty to win the big game or win when it counts or not end his season in tragedy"

You have GOT to be kidding. The last 6 or so games the Phins played were do or die playoff games. He played as perfect as a QB could for all of those games. He has a game where basicly he was let down by the OL and DL and you come up with this.

Chad is perfect for the Phins right now.

Date: January 09, 2009 09:18AM

I stated in other threads about how I thought the O-line was mostly responsible for the loss....BUT....the great ones find a way to overcome when the intensity is raised.

Chad's MO is that he is a smart player who makes good decisions. Whether or not he didn't have time to throw doesn't have much to do with the fact that he still made the decision to force the ball or throw into double coverage. Some of those int's were terribly thrown balls. He stepped outside of his game and did not play smart.

Those last 5 or 6 games Chad played great but they WERE NOT Playoff games. The intensity was raised in the Baltimore game but not enough of our players rose to the challenge.

Everyone knows that actual playoff games are more intense on both sides of the ball. Sure, we were trying to get into the playoffs but it is not the same. I really doubt the 49ers, Rams, Bills and Chiefs were playing with the same intensity of ANY team that actually was in a playoff game.

Now, I'm not saying that Chad can't win a big game but I am just saying that he doesn't have the tools to take a game over when other things break down. He is great when he has time to throw but not so great when he doesn't. When we surround him with more talent, then he very well may be that perfect fit need to win it all.

.....................................................................................

Date: January 09, 2009 02:55PM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chad is perfect for the Phins right now.

Absolutely!! In reality, Chad is what Trent Green was SUPPOSED to be, but better. Now he has 2 young QBs to tutor, although I think Beck won't be on our team next year.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 09, 2009 03:12PM

Remember, we went to the SuperBowl with David Woodley. Dave was able to manage our team to the point that we went to the SuperBowl. There, however, the Washington Redskins took us apart.

Dave was terribly deficient in terms of all of his quarterback skills. That's not saying that Chad is that bad but it was clear that the team would not advance under Dave. The next year he was replaced by Marino, the rookie.

I know we are all grateful for the fact that, with Chad as quarterback, we went from near total humiliation (a la the Detroit Lions this year) to winning the AFC East and an 11-5 record, but, as I pointed out above, David Woodley took us to the SuperBowl.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:22PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Remember, we went to the SuperBowl with David
> Woodley. Dave was able to manage our team to the
> point that we went to the SuperBowl. There,
> however, the Washington Redskins took us apart.
>
> Dave was terribly deficient in terms of all of his
> quarterback skills. That's not saying that Chad is
> that bad but it was clear that the team would not
> advance under Dave. The next year he was replaced
> by Marino, the rookie.
>
> I know we are all grateful for the fact that, with
> Chad as quarterback, we went from near total
> humiliation (a la the Detroit Lions this year) to
> winning the AFC East and an 11-5 record, but, as I
> pointed out above, David Woodley took us to the
> SuperBowl.

Honestly, Woodley didn't lose us that Superbowl. We were playing WoodStrock all year. Shula waited too long to put in Strock. Still, the main reason we lost was our defense was exposed. Even though, statistically, we had the top defense in the NFL, we still had a terrible coordinator. Olivadotti lost us that Superbowl. How could the #1 defense in the NFL not stop ONE guy? It was like we laid down and let Riggins run right over us.

Date: January 09, 2009 06:59PM

While it was true that one-half of the equation was our inability to stop Riggins, it cannot be disputed that the other half of the equation was our inability to generate any offense with the exception of a kickoff return, as I remember it.

I was sitting in the stands for that SuperBowl.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 08:10PM

Date: January 10, 2009 03:44AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Remember, we went to the SuperBowl with David
> Woodley. Dave was able to manage our team to the
> point that we went to the SuperBowl. There,
> however, the Washington Redskins took us apart.
>
> Dave was terribly deficient in terms of all of his
> quarterback skills. That's not saying that Chad is
> that bad but it was clear that the team would not
> advance under Dave. The next year he was replaced
> by Marino, the rookie.
>
> I know we are all grateful for the fact that, with
> Chad as quarterback, we went from near total
> humiliation (a la the Detroit Lions this year) to
> winning the AFC East and an 11-5 record, but, as I
> pointed out above, David Woodley took us to the
> SuperBowl.

I agree with your point but it should be noted that the Phins advanced to the SB in a strike shortened 8 game season.

Date: January 10, 2009 10:21AM

Of course I forgot, whadda expect of an old codger.

Date: January 10, 2009 10:27AM

Heh! Heh! I also remember that what could have gave the game to us by taking Riggins out and forcing Theisman to pass was that Joe Theisman was passing from his own endzone when his attempted pass was deflected straight up in the air and was coming down softly like a gift from heaven. I can't remember whether it was Kim Bokamper or one of the other guys but a Dolphin was standing under the ball waiting for it to come down in his hands for a touchdown. It was in the third quarter. Theisman made the play of his LIFE by grabbing the only arm of the Dolphin he could reach and preventing him from bringing it together with the other arm to catch the ball.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 10, 2009 11:45AM

eesti Wrote:
> Who is the better QB" is a pretty broad question.
>
> Favre is in the top 5 all time so obviously he is
> the better QB if you are looking at careers. If
> you are going to judge him only over the course of
> the last 5 games then that is a different story
> but not really fair.
>
> Chad was exremely efficient and almost a perfect
> fit for Miami this year but hisotrically, he has
> had consistency problems...due to injury or
> coaching or whatever but the fact is that he has
> not shown the abilty to win the big game or win
> when it counts or not end his season in tragedy.
>
> Flacco is a rookie so to judge him after 17 games
> is a little premature. Any rookie that can come
> in and start and be successfull is very
> impressive. Especially when you look at the level
> of competition he faced as a college QB as
> preparation. Delaware? He did finish the regular
> season with 5 games over 100 QB rating. (Chad had
> 8)
>
> There is some discussions going on around this
> board whether or nor Flacco can win a SB with the
> Ravens. I think he absolutely can. Trent Dilfer
> did it and Flacco appears to be better than
> Dilfer. Any time you have a dominant defense and
> a good running game there is a chance.
> Also...Dilfer only started 8 games in their SB
> year. Tony Banks was their QB for the first 8
> weeks or so unitl he was replaced.
>
> The last rookie to guide their team to a SB
> victory was Ben Roethlisberger. He also played
> with a great defense and running game.
>
> Ben's stats in his rookie year:
> 196/295 (66.4%), 2,621 yards-17 TD, 11 Int's (98.1
> rating)
>
> Joe Flacco:
> 257/428 (60%), 2,971 yards-14 TD, 12 Int's (80.3
> rating)
>
> Not a huge difference but Ben was more efficient.
>
> Chad was much better than the other two THIS
> YEAR...then he finished the season just like Favre
> finished his...horribly. Only Favre started
> sucking earlier in the year and sucked longer.
>
> The Raven's did not win the game against us
> because of Flacco, they won despite Flacco. He
> was 9/23 (39%) 0TD 0 Int's with one rushing TD for
> a 59.1 QB rating.
>
> If you want to know who's better, ask again in 15
> years. If Flacco is still starting, has played 16
> more years without missing a game, won 3 NFL
> MVP's, Won a SB and 2 Conference Championships and
> broken almost every passing record in the NFL then
> this topic will be relevant.

great points eesti, but to clarify big ben did not win the superbowl his rookie year. To the best of my knowledge I dont know if any rookie qb has done that. I do believe however flacco will be the first. And not because he is the truth but because they have a historic defense and dominating run game.
Anyhow I agree that you cannot compare these three guys, you can say who had the better year or who would your rather have as a qb going into the 2009 year but not who is better...

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 10, 2009 05:53PM

montequi Wrote:

>
> Honestly, Woodley didn't lose us that Superbowl.
> We were playing WoodStrock all year. Shula waited
> too long to put in Strock. Still, the main reason
> we lost was our defense was exposed. Even though,
> statistically, we had the top defense in the NFL,
> we still had a terrible coordinator. Olivadotti
> lost us that Superbowl. How could the #1 defense
> in the NFL not stop ONE guy? It was like we laid
> down and let Riggins run right over us.

The thing that was unfortunate was that Woodley played his best football of the year in the playoffs, up until that point. I think that's why Shula delayed making the move.

Tom Olivadotti didn't join our coaching staff until 1987. Defensive genius Bill Arnsparger was in charge of the defense for that Super Bowl. We just didn't match up well with the Redskins. Our front 7 was somewhat undersized. The Hogs and Riggins were huge.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: January 11, 2009 03:14PM

I think we missed an opportunity in the draft. There are two excellent QB's playing their rookie season and impressing the heck out of me. And since it's so hard to find a franchise QB, it's a mistake that may come back to haunt this team. Ryan and Flacco have silenced any critics they had.

The whole point of passing on a QB was to get a strong lineman (Long) and continue to build the lines. I think we did a good job of that, but I feel we're forced back to it again. The newly vamped O line couldn't create any room for Ronnie & Ricky, and it was extremely disappointing.

Date: January 11, 2009 09:20PM

I don't know. Long may prove to be an all-star. We had drafted Beck the prior year and thus QB was not THAT much of a priority. If Henne proves to be just as good, if not better than Flacco and Ryan (remember Henne went to a bigger football program, Michigan), then it will prove out in the long run. Also although Flacco is playing in the championship game, Mattie only got to the first round of the playoffs as did we.

I think the O line will get better next year and Henne may make our draft choice a wise one in retrospect. But mainly, I just could not see us taking a quarterback number 1 overall in last year's draft and particularly not taking a flyer on either Flacco or Mattie at that point.

You have to judge the pick by what was sensible at the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.