Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Get Schwartz now...what is failbum waiting for!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Get Schwartz now...what is failbum waiting for!
Posted by: ncfishfan ()
Date: January 13, 2015 04:52AM

This is what giving a contract extension to a sub par coach gets us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Get Schwartz now...what is failbum waiting for!
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 13, 2015 06:42AM

It gets us to 8-8 again.

Maybe.

Maybe even worse.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 13, 2015 07:14AM

Yeah, I'm still wondering how it is after the way our season finished that Kevin Coyle still has a job.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 13, 2015 07:20AM

don't hold your breath...we are stuck with Coyle and Pinhead

Date: January 13, 2015 07:38AM

Yet another wasted season.

Then they will fire philbin and start all over again.

We all know the story.

The rebuilding process.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 13, 2015 07:39AM

Yup, people need to get over it, go watch Cricket or something or get used to the fact that Philbin and Coyle are here for at least next year.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 13, 2015 08:07AM

At this point all we can hope is that Hickey finds some special players in the draft and FA!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 13, 2015 08:40AM

Rehire Philbin who is average at best (two straight 8-8 seasons, 24-26 overall record) and fire John Fox who has gotten the Broncos to four straight AFC West titles and into a Super Bowl.

Hmmm....makes a lot of sense to me.

The question was asked earlier when Philbin was given the word from Ross that he will remain the Dolphins' coach...who is out there? Well, I would say Rex is a much better coach and now Fox is available. Would Miami have been able to get either of them? I don't know, but then again, we will now never know.

Oh, I think Del Rio is a better coach than Philbin, also.

Date: January 13, 2015 09:24AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 13, 2015 09:39PM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 14, 2015 04:14AM

I'm surprised he's not gone yet too. I have a feeling they're going to play the injury card as the reason for the D's failures.

simplify it and be aggressive.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 14, 2015 04:42AM

You can argue the merits of bringing Philbin back until you are blue in the face. But it wasn't a clear cut decision.

Sometimes it pays to be patient as an owner. Jerry Jones could have fired Jason garrett after any of the 4 seasons prior to this one. But he didn't. Now he has a guy who has developed into a darn good hc.

I don't know if Philbin has that type of growth in him, but he has grown as a hc over the last 3 years.

Bringing him back is not the crime some of you portray it to be.

Date: January 14, 2015 05:00AM

Not so sure about Jason Garrett being that good.

He seems more like a figure head while Jerry has a string of x-head coaches/star coordinators as position coaches.

Bill Calahan, Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli, Monte Kiffin.

(3) 8-8 seasons and (1) 12 win season thanks in part to a defensive turnaround and taking away the play calling from the HC.

I also agree that Philbin is not as bad as some around here make him out to be.

Maybe if we can get Bill Cowher to run the defense and Jon Gruden to be the QB coach, Philbin can manage a playoff run.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 14, 2015 05:10AM

Yup Truth, there is no clear cut right/wrong when it comes to coaching changes. Chicago fired Lovie Smith after a 10-6 season and got Mark Trestman in return.....who by the way was just fired.....who by the way will probably be replaced by John Fox.......who by the way was just let go after a 12-4 season......now lets wait and see if Denver did the right thing and judge that move next year because Elway thinks it's Super Bowl or bust? Not sure how that even makes sense eye rolling smiley

I would of fired Philbin with Ireland last year, but non emotional arguments could be made either way. As far as Coyle goes, he has his warts also, but I think if you get him some youth and size on the D-line and a little less injuries in the secondary and he'll be fine, I've read he's thought of as a good DC around the league, but in typical Dolphin fan fashion, someone HAS to have a target on their back and be the scapegoat, might as well be Coyle.........

Date: January 14, 2015 05:15AM

The defense was pretty damn good for the first 11 weeks...until teams figured out that if you double team Starks, they can run right up the middle with little resistance.

18 ppg allowed through week 11 (10 games)
32 ppg allowed weeks 12-17 (6 games)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2015 05:32AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: January 14, 2015 06:22AM

Its too expensive to pay out Philbin, have him coach another crap year, then get a better draft selection for 2016. That is how I see it.

Date: January 14, 2015 06:46AM

I would have fired Ireland with sparano and started from scratch then.

if philbin is run next year we'll have tannenbaum calling the shots which doesn't instill confidence.

so the best case scenario is for hickey and philbin to nail it this offseason and make the playoffs next year. if not we're not in very good hands.

Date: January 14, 2015 07:29AM

The ironic part of these coaching searches/hires....

Dan Quinn: former defensive line coach for Miami
Todd Bowles: Former Miami, DB coach
Jason Garrett: Former Miami QB coach

Date: January 14, 2015 07:37AM

Maybe they were thinking about the draft when they hired philbin again.

Do worse than this year get a higher draft pick and fire philbin.

Or maybe the list of available free agent coaches was so bad that they stuck with philbin.

The list of available coaches to hire stunk really bad this year.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 14, 2015 07:39AM

Bring Quinn back

Date: January 14, 2015 07:40AM

Really? He is going to be a HC.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 14, 2015 05:45PM

we are not going to get any "name" DC, since everyone knows it's better than 50-50 philbin's not back next year. That is why Ross is such a moron---no one thinks the "extension" makes Philbin anything less than a lame duck coach, so it's basically just another few million down the drain for Ross. I have yet to see one thing from Ross as owner of the Phins that gives me any insight into how he made any money at all as a businessman, he is about the most clueless human being I've ever seen in action. Crowder, you're a business guy, what is your impression?

Yes 2015 is a total wasted year. I think it is more likely we have a repeat of what happened in Wannstedt's last year when Wayne brought him back 1 year too many for "continuity" sake. I think we went from 10 wins to like 1-10 before Wanny quit. I think we are more likely to go down the tubes next year than even do 8-8 again, much less sniff the playoffs.

Thanks Ross! Another hopeless year, which is making me less and less obsessed with this team.....

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 14, 2015 06:56PM

I'm astounded that somebody has finally figured out that players are an important part of the winning process. All I've been hearing over the last several years is that Ireland hasn't been getting us any decent players. Dennis Hickey has finally started to get us some good players in his first year in the job, a few more years with an infusion of good players and the coaches will have something to work with. Many of you are just looking for the nearest target of convenience, and to hell with reality.

Rick

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 14, 2015 08:12PM

I'm sorry, but....

When your defense is holding their opponent all game long buy blitzing and rushing the passer, then in the last 2 minutes you put your defense into "Prevent nothing" by rushing 3 linemen, which then allows the opposing QB to have all day to throw and pick your defense apart, which then allows your opponent to win the game on their final drive, that is poor coaching.

As for player injuries - coaches are responsible for coaching up the next man in. If you cannot overcome adversity and coach your players to step in and be effective, that is poor coaching.

Our division rival who's been dominating the AFC East for what seems like an eternity is a prime example of how a team overcomes adversity. They had a horrible start to the season, but as time went on they became better and unstoppable. That is good coaching. And Stephen Ross should not accept anything less than that kind of quality for his team.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 14, 2015 09:51PM

Rick, you haven't posted in months. I take it you were satisfied with the season, particularly with the coaching.

Date: January 14, 2015 09:55PM

or at least you don't believe the coaching had anything to do with our poor record.

Date: January 15, 2015 12:02AM

someone's trolling for an argument again.

Date: January 15, 2015 04:00AM

Date: January 15, 2015 04:33AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sorry, but....
>
> When your defense is holding their opponent all
> game long buy blitzing and rushing the passer,
> then in the last 2 minutes you put your defense
> into "Prevent nothing" by rushing 3 linemen, which
> then allows the opposing QB to have all day to
> throw and pick your defense apart, which then
> allows your opponent to win the game on their
> final drive, that is poor coaching.

I am not a fan of Coyle but that is only one part of the losses. Many of the losses were because teams were controlling the end of the game by running the ball. We could not stop it. Poor tackling was an issue all year. Some people like to blame coaches for poor tackling but I don't buy it. If guys can't tackle in live action by now, you can't teach it. We're talking about veteran players.

> As for player injuries - coaches are responsible
> for coaching up the next man in. If you cannot
> overcome adversity and coach your players to step
> in and be effective, that is poor coaching.

This are also many layers to this issue. Quality of depth is one. You can only coach a guy so far. There is usually a reason the guy is a backup. We are also talking about MULTIPLE key positions. Not just one guy replacing an injured vet.

Another issue was players not fitting the scheme. We had no DT to occupy blockers. When you can double team both DT's and single block the edge, you are going to have problems. Cameron Wake was a liability vs the run. He cannot get off blocks. He is slowly becoming a situational pass rusher. He is the #1 ranked 4-3 DE rushing the passer but he is 33rd vs the run and 51st in coverage.

Starks was the 6th rated DT last year vs the run. This year he is 46th. What's the difference? Paul Soliai. Now they are doubling Starks instead of Paul. Starks is not that guy.

We had poor tackling by everyone.

We also had a questionable scheme that dropped the wrong people in coverage. So yes, its coaching but it's also talent.

> Our division rival who's been dominating the AFC
> East for what seems like an eternity is a prime
> example of how a team overcomes adversity. They
> had a horrible start to the season, but as time
> went on they became better and unstoppable. That
> is good coaching. And Stephen Ross should not
> accept anything less than that kind of quality for
> his team.

So now you want Philbin to be Bellichick? One of the top 5 coaches of all time? Join the club. So does every other NFL team. Other coaches get by because they have talent and depth. The Pats have been dominating the AFC for years. Not just the East. And it's not like they don't have talent or depth.

The point is, all pieces have to be in place. Being great in one area can compensate for the other but we are not great in any area.

We need better coaching and more talent that fits the scheme.

Date: January 15, 2015 10:38AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> someone's trolling for an argument again.

Trolling is not disagreeing with another poster. Trolling is not asking him does he stand by the coach.

What trolling IS is what you are doing following me around AND NOT DEBATING THE MERITS OF MY POSITION but

CHALLENGING MY VERY RIGHT TO SAY IT!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.