HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde Revisited
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde Revisited
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 13, 2014 03:39AM

I started the original thread on this topic and thought it was worth looking at again in light of yesterday's loss at the hands of Aaron Rodgers.

The Dolphins were again, flat in the first half and robust in the second.

Many, including myself believed that adjustments were made at half time in the locker room, because the team, in the 2nd half executed and put points on the board, eventually taking the lead, just to see it fall in the last 3 seconds of the game.

This morning in the Miami Herald Miami Dolphins website (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article2693428.html), the writer referenced rookie Jarvis Landry's comments about the game. In part it read:

"Receiver Jarvis Landry, who caught an 11-yard pass from Tannehill in the third quarter for the Dolphin’s first touchdown, said the team didn’t make any strategic adjustments at the half."

The author further stated: In the locker room, the team simply regrouped and saw familiar--and salvageable--circumstances. The writer concluded with:

"...Tannehill, nor his receivers, nor his offensive line, nor coach Joe Philbin, seem to know how to make the Dolphins offense click from the get-go."

==========
Wow. I don't know what to make of this. There were no adjustments? The original game plan was still in effect? Somehow, at half time, the short time in the locker room was enough of a reflection for the player's to get into gear and execute the original game plan when they returned to the field? If this is the truth, then my assessment of Joe Philbin has been way off and that it's the players that can't get their act together and perform until the team is put into a hole, or are getting thrashed. It's almost like a boxer holding back to see just what the other guy has, taking punishment and then saying, is that all you got? And then the tables turn because the mental attitude changes with "go get 'em."

Again, I don't know what to make out of this revelation, if it is one, and is true.

Why then are so many players on offense mentally ill-prepared to compete effectively in the first half of the game? What happens to them at half time to turn their attitudes around?

Is the offense afraid to make mistakes and play too conservatively in the first half?

Are they not fired-up when the game starts?

Are they uncomfortable with the game plan?

Are they lacking self esteem? Is it a leadership issue on the field?

Is it a multitude of things that somehow changes at half time?

Pretty bizarre.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde Revisited
Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 13, 2014 04:04AM

Yeah that is weird. But to many it's more believable than Philbin making effective adjustments at halftime.

I don't know what to make of it either.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 13, 2014 04:09AM

I believe it.

Clearly philbin has no idea what he is doing out there.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 13, 2014 04:29AM

If it's true that a team takes on the personality of the coach then I can just imagine the players coming onto the field reading their assignments from cue cards and going through the motions.
Face it, Tannehill is no Peyton Manning. He's not going to take command of the game from the opening snap.
When he does, if he ever does, the team will play consistently throughout the entire game.
I think that opening drive of the second half sparked the players to where they put aside their cue cards and played football with passion until Failbin was able to rein them in with his TOs.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 07:53AM by Hooligan2.

Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: October 13, 2014 04:37AM

We're not making playoffs and Pholben is fired so who cares. Harbaugh will right this ship!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 13, 2014 05:34AM

TannyDaMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're not making playoffs and Pholben is fired so
> who cares. Harbaugh will right this ship!

If we hire Harbaugh, be prepared for another Parcells. He will come in like a bat out of hell pushing his weight around, and in the short term we'll be successful...but he'll quickly make himself unwelcome and either leave on his own or be fired....and we'll be stuck with a replacement who will mismanage the team and drive us down once again. We saw it with JJ/Wanny and Parcells/Sparano. Big-name heavy-handed coaches may seem good short term, but in the end we'll all be regretting it.

Date: October 13, 2014 05:42AM

At this point short term success looks pretty good.
It's like doing the nasty with a beautiful Hollywood sex kitten but, knowing you probably won't end up getting married.
I'll take it.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: October 13, 2014 05:42AM

Harbaugh is a great coach. If you're scared of Harbaugh being another Parcells, then I don't think you've been paying enough attention to him.

FWIW, Don Shula was a big name, heavy-handed coach.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 13, 2014 06:03AM

IMO Harbaugh will never become our HC. That ship sailed.

If he was much younger and healthier, I'd want Mike Dikta on the sidelines. The players would be fired up or else. None of this flat playing and lousy execution during the first half. People would fear that SOB.

Date: October 13, 2014 06:14AM

No I guarantee if we fire Philben Harbaugh will come to town. He wore out his welcome in SanFran because he has a bunch of pro madonnas on his team that whine over stupid stuff. He would do wonders here!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 13, 2014 06:33AM

I want to give continuity and consistency a try...I'm very tired of the coaching roller coaster and roster make-overs every two-three seasons.

That's a very large part of why we have been so bad over the past fifteen years.

Date: October 13, 2014 06:39AM

Ken let me ask you a question. If you stick your finger in a love socket and you get shocked. How many times you gonna keep sticking in your finger without changing the situation and expect not to get shocked? Philben is a terrible HC. Is he the worse? Probably. He has a bunch of talent. Coyle is a terrible DC. These two baboons have a very great players playing for them and still they manage to lose games.

Date: October 13, 2014 07:55AM

Well that's really irrelevent. Bellichick was a terrible head coach at Cleveland who magically became brilliant in NE? I don't think so. If he had never gotten hired in NE, he'd be known today as a guy that's not HC material. A guy who couldn't get it done and a guy that made poor calls during the game. The fact is that he was always a quality coach and the guy for the job...he simply had an owner, and fans, with a quick hook.

Teams that change coaches every two-three seasons like we have been doing for the past twelve years are always bad teams...and they always stay bad teams.

Philbin...I'm just not ready or willing to throw in the towel on him yet.

Now, as far as Coyle goes...I am on board with replacing him unless he gets more aggressive in his schemes. I think we can and should do better with a more agressive D-Coordinator.

I'm also not happy with Lazor "at times" either...I expected a bit more from him than he's been able to deliver so far even though I'm not ready to replace him yet. I want to see more up-tempo and more agression from the offense. I want to see us start a game in the two minute hurry-up offense and stay with it. I want to see us suprise someone.

Date: October 13, 2014 08:25AM

Ken I'm blocking your messages until Philben is fired. You can spew your pro Phlim phlam filth to others. I'll have no part of it.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 13, 2014 09:40AM

Ken Wrote:
> I want to give continuity and consistency a
> try...I'm very tired of the coaching roller
> coaster and roster make-overs every two-three
> seasons.
>
> That's a very large part of why we have been so
> bad over the past fifteen years.

Agreed!

smileys with beer

Date: October 13, 2014 11:28AM

As I recall SanFran had numerous coaching changes and went nowhere until they hit on the right one and it was instant playoffs and SB contenders.
Continuity and consistently underachieving with an average vanilla coach and hoping that he grows into the job might work but, this is a business. Yesterday was the fullest that I have seen the stadium in a long time. Fans are fickle and will disappear quickly if the team doesn't seem to be getting it done.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: October 13, 2014 11:42AM

TannyDaMan...good. Just take you ball and go home...so childish.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 13, 2014 12:09PM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> As I recall SanFran had numerous coaching changes
> and went nowhere until they hit on the right one
> and it was instant playoffs and SB contenders.
> Continuity and consistently underachieving with an
> average vanilla coach and hoping that he grows
> into the job might work but, this is a business.
> Yesterday was the fullest that I have seen the
> stadium in a long time. Fans are fickle and will
> disappear quickly if the team doesn't seem to be
> getting it done.

The Dolphins have (most of) the pieces in place; they just need someone to lead them.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 08:19AM

Date: October 14, 2014 08:27AM

TannyDaMan Wrote:
> Ken I'm blocking your messages until Philben is
> fired. You can spew your pro Phlim phlam filth to
> others. I'll have no part of it.

Nobody believes Philbin should have been gone and on a bus north more then me.

But Ken is one of the most intelligent even personality posters here. Just because a person disagrees with you is never a reason to block them. Because when someone disagrees with me I can usually provide a reasonable reason why I believe they are wrong. This is a discussion page afterall .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 14, 2014 08:40AM

no you can't

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.