HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ted Ginn
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ted Ginn
Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 01:04PM

Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2008 Atlanta Falcons 16 15 88 1,382 15.7 70T 7 2 4 2.0 2 0 1 1
2007 Atlanta Falcons 16 15 83 1,202 14.5 69T 6 1 -2 -2.0 -2 0 3 2
2006 Atlanta Falcons 16 5 30 506 16.9 55 0 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1
2005 Atlanta Falcons 16 8 29 446 15.4 54T 3 4 12 3.0 16 0 1 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those of you who think we need to get rid of Ginn need to listen to the pros and do some research. You don't get rid of a WR after his second season. Especially when he has the same, if not better second year numbers, then some of the best WR's to ever play this game. Not to mention he did not play WR until he was in college. He went to Ohio State as a CB. So, he is starting his position later than most. He may never get any better, but he must be given the chance to improve. He also may do alot better if there is another WR to take the pressure off and the o-line gives his QB more time. Sparano himself said, that after the first Buffalo game, teams were covering Ginn with 2 people. That makes life hard for a seasoned vetern let alone a second year WR with little experience. The stats above are those of Roddy White from the Falcons. They said he was a bust after his second year as well. And his numbers are worse than Ginn's!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ted Ginn
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 05, 2009 01:30PM

Agreed, good post.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 03:43PM

hey TOTALLY BLEW IT on that end-around. It was wide open real estate in front of him and he CHOOOOOOOOOOOKED. DAMN IT.

He would've taken it to the house just like the KC game. whhah whah

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 04:07PM

Most everybody on the team came up short, not just Ginn. Too many rookies not ready for prime time. Next season will be better.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 05, 2009 04:20PM

There is a HUGE difference between 'getting rid of'; which I haven't read many people say ( correct me if I am wrong)

and

'He is a #3 WR' , or 'he is a bust as a 9th overall', or 'he is playing poorly'.

I think he should be returning punts & kicks because that is where I have seen he most 'explosiveness', I haven't seen the same thing on offense.

Chambers was double teamed most of his time here and he still got open deep. Larry Fitzgerald, Lee Evans, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson...they ALL get double teamed..they all get behind the secondary 'regularly'.

I hope Ginn brings it all together next year. I do. I love his attitude, personality, etc. I just have seen a little too much...?..hesitancy? dunno..something that holds him back.

Ginn, Camarillo, Bess = lots of medium/short passes to open guys from X's & O's.

We need a guy who gets open deep without the X's & O's. Ginn could end up being him later...but he ain't the guy right now.

Either way we need to acquire by draft or FA a TRUE #1 Wr. You know having another speedster just might push him while also buying him some room on the field.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 05, 2009 06:02PM

Well said, realist!!

Date: January 05, 2009 07:17PM

He should have been able to come up with the ball, but it didn't help that the defense blew the play up!

Date: January 05, 2009 07:38PM

Fitzgerald broke out in his second season after 780 in his first. Evans didn't break out until his third season and regressed after his first(843 & 743). Same with Smith (154 & 872). There are many others that took several years to develop. Like: Donald Driver, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Antonio Brayant (5 years), Santana Moss and Vincent Jackson. They all took at least 3 years to get caught up with the speed of the NFL. Plus, they all played WR longer than Ginn. I'm not saying Ginn will become them or even put up the same type of numbers, but there is no way for anyone to know if he will or not. They are just guessing. That's why he deserves the time to develop.

One good example I will share with you about Ginn, is when I went to the Texans game I had seats on the 48 yard line in the upper decks, so I had a great vantage point to watch the whole field. On 3 occasions Ginn was open by 3-4 yards deep down field and on one of the plays he was 10 yards behind the entire defense. Chad looked straight down field towards Ginns direction then stepped up into the pocket and checked down to the TE, who was stopped short of the first down! Ginn had chances to shine this year and for what ever reason the ball wasn't thrown his way. Sparano even said those words himself earlier in the year. He said they would work on that, then the Buffalo game came and they did. After that he was double teamed. Give the kid some time and lets hope he turns the corner over the next 2 seasons.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 06, 2009 03:45AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 06, 2009 04:22AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey TOTALLY BLEW IT on that end-around. It was
> wide open real estate in front of him and he
> CHOOOOOOOOOOOKED. DAMN IT.
>
> He would've taken it to the house just like the KC
> game. whhah whah

It was supposed to be a HANDOFF and the Ravens Defense was so far up Chad's arse that he had to pitch it about two feet. Catching a pitch is easy when you have the time, space and vision to see it coming. Ginn had none of those. Try cathing something from about two feet away when you have 2 or three 280 lb plus lineman in your face. If you want to blame someone...blame Satele and Alleman for letting the D-lineman break thru almost untouched.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 04:50AM

'He should have been able to come up with the ball, but it didn't help that the defense blew the play up! '

Penni should have been able to get a clean handoff, tired of fans finger pointing at a few players all the time. Their is improvement needed across the roster.

The sky is blue, Ginn has not performed up to his pick at 97 neither is new news so wtf.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 06, 2009 05:20AM

While I agree that the hand-off became a slight pitch it is always drilled into the players on any reverse to 'look it in' just like a catch.

Ginn saw that it was not going to be in his basket and put out his hands, at that point his eyes needed to be glued on the ball untill he had his mitts on it.

It is NOT that unusual for a young player to take his eyes off the ball too soon. I can live with that mistake. It's a drag. It is a mark against him that he has to erase by not doing it again.

I think people ( myself included to some extent) get on him because 2 or 3 of the picks were passes intended for him. They weren't really his fault in that the passes were off-target or in double coverage; but, he has a responsibility to defend the ball, which he didn't do with enough urgency. Chambers used to get berated for that and he fixed it.

Ginn may bring it all together. I hope he does. It would be GREAT, but so far, he looks to be a 'decent' #2/#3 wr.

Posted by: greg woulf ()
Date: January 06, 2009 05:28AM

It was a tough play, that's all I'll say. Shared blame between Chad, the defens, the offensive line and Ginn. They all had a part in it.

Date: January 06, 2009 06:19AM

' Ginn saw that it was not going to be in his basket and put out his hands, at that point his eyes needed to be glued on the ball untill he had his mitts on it. '

and what was Penni looking at it is easy to say this. I am quite sure both Penni and Ginn had a lot of crap going on in their head. Where was Penni's resposibilities. Both are Phins that play was just as much a result of Penni's panicking and loss of disciplune as anything Ginn did. It happens to the best, did you watch the final game against the Jets.

'I think people ( myself included to some extent) get on him because 2 or 3 of the picks were passes intended for him. '

Did he trow the ball. I counted two, the first was an overthrow the second the db did step on his ankle. Was I ticked, yes but not w/ Ginn.

Respectfully some fans gotta get over whatever they have w/ this guy. I have more problems w/ guys like Roth who have been here longer and are making marginal contributions (including Moses & Wright).

Date: January 06, 2009 06:43AM

Well...Chad Pennington was charged with the fumble...not Ginn.

On the next series on 2nd and 10, Chad was sacked for a 10 yard loss manking it 3rd and 20 which we did not convert because Chad had no time to throw the ball on 3rd or 4th down. Was this Ginns fault too?

It was the O-line.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: JasonGuess ()
Date: January 06, 2009 06:48AM

I'm one of the few people who wanted to draft Ginn so take this for what you will, but I notice Chad overthrew him alot this year. Many of the passes sailed high when throwing to ginn on these sideline routes. Passes chad is known for making he just didnt hit to Ginn like he did the other guys. Maybe its bad routes or bad timing but soemthing was missing between them. However I think Ted grew huuuge this year. Give him another reciever on the other side not just a possesion reciever like Bess and Camarillo and he'll do big things. His number werent bad at all.

Date: January 06, 2009 06:52AM

right the glass is half full in my opinion as I said before hopefully Smiley and Thomas come back healthy next year. Thomas showed so much one writer had him on his all rookie team. Camarillo comes back, Ginn and Bess will have some seasoning hope we can add some more skills at WR
and make some corrections on D. We had a helluva year.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: January 11, 2009 03:27PM

I think we should definitely be open to a trade. Other teams with high powered offenses could use a speedy guy like Ginn. And not that I would want Ginn blowing it up on another team, but really it's about fit. I don't think he fits our offense. He's not versatile enough for the plays we want to run. And I don't see any intangibles to make up for that. Where's the toughness, aggressiveness, fight for the ball or smart play? This is not a guy that's going to win playoff games for you. I watched the Steeler/Charger game and I just can't imagine Ginn in a game like that. I see him on injured reserve, or another player tougher and hungrier taking his place.

Posted by: miami821 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 11:18AM

A couple things about our boy Ginn:

1) There's a lot of discussion over the learning curve of a wide receiver. I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but I believe that most of us are aware of his learning disability. He is admittedly a slower learner than most. I think that fact, accompanied by nerves of being a younger player with a lot of doubt cast upon him, may be responsible for his occasional hesitation & "dumb" mistakes. Have you ever seen how a kid can be if he doesn't know the right answer? Sometimes they lock up and panic. Not to mention one with a learning disability. Once Teddy gets into his comfort zone, I think his ceiling is pretty high.

2) I personally was impressed when he sprinted back down the field to try and knock the ball out of Ed Reed's hand during that interception TD return. He was only about a yard or two short of knocking it out before he reached the end zone. That takes some giddy-up.

I am happy with Ginn's development thus far. I am still, however, awaiting the Ginn family's presence on the field. They have yet to even suit up.

Date: January 12, 2009 11:45AM

This reminds me of the Bush Bashing we have heard for the last 8 years.
Everything in the country is Bush's fault right? So every thing wrong with the passing game is Ginns fault.

Come on guys, give it a break. If wasn't a player he wouldn't be playing.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 01:12PM

Ginn for a 2nd round pick.....? Hell yeahdrinking smiley

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 12, 2009 02:24PM

miami821 Wrote:
> A couple things about our boy Ginn:
>
> 1) There's a lot of discussion over the learning
> curve of a wide receiver. I don't think it's been
> mentioned in this thread yet, but I believe that
> most of us are aware of his learning disability.
> He is admittedly a slower learner than most.

So what makes you think he'll be a great WR?

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: January 12, 2009 05:46PM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> This reminds me of the Bush Bashing we have heard
> for the last 8 years.
> Everything in the country is Bush's fault right?
> So every thing wrong with the passing game is
> Ginns fault.

Comparing Ginn to the worst President in US history is probably not a good way to raise optimism.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that Pennington's arm strength is not currently as bad as it was in New York as a result of his improved throwing motion. By all means he definitely doesn't have a cannon, but he also doesn't need to throw the ball 70 yards down the sideline to make Ginn effective. He is physically capable of delivering a ball 20-30 yards down the field with great accuracy, as he proved on several occasions during the course of the year.

In my opinion, any receiver who is only capable of running a fly pattern is worthless. There is plenty of opportunity for Ginn to use his speed over the entire football field, not only in a straight line, but he simply does not get open enough. He might be fast, but he's not a capable receiver in the NFL. He was a wasted pick at #9. I'll be shocked if he ever proves me wrong.

Date: January 13, 2009 06:51AM

This was not meant to be a political discussion but to emphasize the fact that the problem with the passing game is not all Ginns fault as many here seem to think.

The problem, that is if we have one, is the lack of a consistent running game that establishes a rhythm, and average receivers throughout. Yes, that is right, average.
Add a real standout receiver and then watch the rest rise up. Add a consistent running game and that rises the whole offense.

Another standout offensive lineman will help both.

Ginn is not just a vertical receiver either. We have seen him get separation and he has soft hands. Next year will tell his story. It would surprise me if he is traded or cut. I don't see that happening.

Date: January 13, 2009 07:53AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> Ginn for a 2nd round pick.....? Hell yeahdrinking smiley

This could be a huge mistake and a year premature. How would the Falcons, 49ers or Panthers have looked if they would have traded Steve Smith, Terrell Owens or Roddy White after their 2nd year? They would have looked like fools.

Or the Colts and Reggie Wayne after his third year?
Or the Steelers and Hines Ward after his third year?
or Muhsin Muhammid

It takes most receivers time to learn the nuances of the game.

I would like to see Ginn pull a Percy Harvin and put on some muscle this off season though.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:31AM

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: January 12, 2009 11:46PM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> This reminds me of the Bush Bashing we have heard
> for the last 8 years.
> Everything in the country is Bush's fault right?
> So every thing wrong with the passing game is
> Ginns fault.

(*Modeator Edit*....keep the politics off the board.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 10:38AM by samsam3738.

Date: January 13, 2009 09:35AM

Oh i forgot...............

GO PHINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

Political talk stops NOW
Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:41AM

....or this thread gets locked.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:32AM

I'd like to see a comment about my last comment.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:42AM

Everything wrong with the passing game is NOT ginn's fault. Agreed.

So there leon.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.