HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Center position....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Center position....
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 29, 2009 02:46PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a question, but what about Donald Thomas,
> taking a shot at center. He is the guy who could
> handle the above mentioned Dlinemen one on one
> IMO. In the Jets game, I rember him hanging with
> SHaun Ellis on many plays in his first ever
> profesional start . So much so, he told Pennington
> after the game, that Donald THomas, was an animal,
> and going to be something special. One of if not
> the strongest guy he has ever gone against......
> first start as a rookie...that type of
> respect..impressive.

The Center is, basically, the QB of the O-Line. Not only does he have to have to do his job physically, he has to call blocking schemes, etc. Thomas is strong and physically imposing, but I don't know how he'd handle the job mentally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: January 30, 2009 09:48PM

Doesn't anyone know that SATELE was playing injured last season? It's on a few other sites...I myself put it on 2 of them. SATELE had a torn labrum, and had surgery for it about a week ago. Last season, he was literally the "one armed man".

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 31, 2009 02:11AM

Well the "one-armed man" is moving to guard.

Date: January 31, 2009 06:03PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Well the "one-armed man" is moving to guard.

Don't be silly. SATELE went from making people talk "Pro Bowl C" in 2007 to making people think he can't handle big, topshelf DTs and NTs in 2008. There were a couple of differences, in those two seasons: one was the OL coach in each season, and another was the fact that MIAMI's 2 starting Gs went down w/injuries in 2008. Those two things matter, of course, but try to block your GRANDMOTHER w/a torn labrum. Then try to figure out how the hell to cope w/a WILFORK, or a NGATA, or a JENKINS. Here's hoping that the article I read was accurate in that MIAMI's new Triumvirate is looking to get SATELE "rehabbed", and into the Weights Room a/s/a/p to bulk up 10-12 lbs. THAT, and progress w/the G position health and quality-wise, should cure the problem. Getting a 3rd C is a good idea as well, but those "college boys" being touted as solid picks are not much bigger than SATELE, and no "lock" whatsoever at the next (NFL) level. Even some NFL F/A Cs aren't exactly big. The only topshelf C who's noticeably bigger is J BROWN of BALTIMORE, and the RAVENS' F/O would have to be brain-dead to let him get away.

P.S.: Silly, i/m/o, often = shortsighted.

Date: February 01, 2009 02:28AM

I'm with you, Ludu.

There are a lot of people on this board that want to give Ginn way too much rope while they're throwing Satele under a bus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 02:50AM by montequi.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 01, 2009 05:47AM

My concern with satele is not his size but can he play to his size. Yeah he can bulk up but run blocking is a mentality. You have guys that are smaller that play bigger. Satele is from hawaii and what do they do? COlt threw the ball 50-55 times per game and they ran what 10-12 times. Satele is an outstanding pass blocking center but if we are going more to a power run attack the question is can he make that conversion? IF he can, great since pass blocking is more difficult than just plowing someone over in run blocking. SO my question is not his size but can he play to his size and put someone on their ass...

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 01, 2009 06:09AM

His problem has become BEING UNDER THE BUS not really getting thrown there.

He's a talented guy, so trade him to CAM and let him show off his pass blocking talents with Flacco. And we'll sign their C or DRAFT ALEX MACK and we'll reach our goal of having a front that can line-up play after play and go SMASH MOUTH.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Date: February 01, 2009 07:36AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> His problem has become BEING UNDER THE BUS not
> really getting thrown there.
>
> He's a talented guy, so trade him to CAM and let
> him show off his pass blocking talents with
> Flacco. And we'll sign their C or DRAFT ALEX MACK
> and we'll reach our goal of having a front that
> can line-up play after play and go SMASH MOUTH.

So playing with one arm under a questionable O-Line coach with 2 guards that wouldn't be on other teams' practice squads isn't a factor? Why are you so sure about Mack? Remember the hype around Robert Gallery and Tony Mandarich?

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 01, 2009 09:01AM

Date: February 01, 2009 09:34AM

Not necessarily smoking smiley on MACK just smoking smiley on UPGRADING the posistion.

Date: February 01, 2009 10:09AM

Date: February 01, 2009 11:30AM

I think we consider ILB, Safety, WR, OLB, CB, Center, and Guard in that order and take the BPA that falls to us at #25. The order of priority may be different or change based on FA signings, but I think that should be the priority of our needs.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted defense-only on day 1 of the draft.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 02, 2009 07:31AM

I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted defense only the first day but I would be pretty upset. Sure we need defensive help and depth but we also need help on the offensive side of the ball and we aren't going to get a dominating, big time, playmaker at WR on the second day. Or a dominating O-Lineman...unless we simply get lucky.

Date: February 02, 2009 02:14PM

Ken Wrote:
> I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted defense only
> the first day but I would be pretty upset. Sure we
> need defensive help and depth but we also need
> help on the offensive side of the ball and we
> aren't going to get a dominating, big time,
> playmaker at WR on the second day. Or a dominating
> O-Lineman...unless we simply get lucky.

With a healthy Satele, Thomas, and Smiley, along with Long and Carey, we have the beginnings of a dominating O-Line. I don't think we need to spend another high draft pick on an O-Lineman. We can build depth in free agency. As for WR, I agree we need a bigtime playmaker, but I really don't see BP drafting a WR in the 1st round, and I don't think we'll get the bigtime guy after that.

Date: February 02, 2009 05:45PM

I think we can still get a big/fast guy with our first pick in the second round and that may be enough because really all we need is a guy to make Ginn, Camarillo and Bess see single coverage more often. But we'd certainly have to do our homework because a bust there would be bad. I'd agree that I don't see Parcells drafting a WR with our first round pick unless a blue chip guy falls to us...and even then maybe not. I also agree that we have the beginnings of a dominating offensive line but we are a player short of getting there IMHO...another high quality body is needed. I expect Satelle to gain some weight this off season and get stronger as well. Anyway you cut it though we need another young body that will play at a high level for the next five-ten years. I'd also stay away from the free agents as linemen because they will want more money and will play less time for us...the draft is the way to go as far as the trenches go.

I say only sign selected youngish free agents that are on the up escalator of their careers and just need an opportunity to showcase skills or build through the draft. Free agents as depth or potential starters (Push Players) is good if the price is right.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 03, 2009 02:09AM

Date: February 03, 2009 08:42AM

Not exactly...toward the end of the season Bess was seeing "some" double coverage though not as much as Ginn. They both did some good work in beating it from time to time too. That work needs to continue. Camarillo was hurt so he's really a moot point. The point here is really that with Bess, Ginn, Carmarillo, London, a quality big bodied rookie with speed, Polite, Fasano, Martin, Brown, Cobbs and Williams...if the coaches use a bit more three, four and even the occasional five wide formation. Everyone will be in single coverage because there is no way to cover everyone.

We have playmakers on offense even though we still need more. The coaches simply need to put them in positions to make plays and not simply block for people....then of course it's up to the player to actually make the plays.

Posted by: Miami Troy ()
Date: February 07, 2009 05:14PM

I think Satele can play, I want to keep upgrading the O-Line in the first round. It worked good last year! The Tuna knows how to build a powerhouse team so if he boots Satele to gaurd I'd have to agree, he is a master of the game.

Date: February 08, 2009 03:08AM

Miami Troy Wrote:
> I think Satele can play, I want to keep upgrading
> the O-Line in the first round. It worked good
> last year! The Tuna knows how to build a
> powerhouse team so if he boots Satele to gaurd I'd
> have to agree, he is a master of the game.

I understand the need for a good O-Line, but much of that can be accomplished with coaching. Sparano IS a former O-Line coach, so he should know that. I can't see us tying up so much money on the O-Line. We already have 2 first rounders there (Long and Carey). Also, if Thomas comes back and makes the ProBowl, he'll be due a hefty contract at some point as well.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 08, 2009 03:42AM

I'm not sure whether or not Satele is or isn't the answer at center, but I keep reading all this stuff about..."wait til he hits the weight room, he's fine he just needs to add 20 lbs of muscle, he may be the pro bowl center we've been hoping for after they put some weight on him and bulk him up, etc. etc."

This mentality I understand with a rookie maybe, but why would anyone expect a guy who's been in the NFL for a while already to have all this untapped potential in the weight room and so much more size that he can add to his frame. Hasn't he been a part of NFL strength training for a while now. I'm sure he's been in the gym working to be as big and strong as he can be these past few years. Why does everyone assume that for a player who needs to improve at some aspects of his position, adding 30lbs of chiseled fast-twitch muscle is the obvious, easy-fix answer.

Date: February 08, 2009 10:58AM

Panteraize Wrote:
> I'm not sure whether or not Satele is or isn't the
> answer at center, but I keep reading all this
> stuff about..."wait til he hits the weight room,
> he's fine he just needs to add 20 lbs of muscle,
> he may be the pro bowl center we've been hoping
> for after they put some weight on him and bulk him
> up, etc. etc."
>
> This mentality I understand with a rookie maybe,
> but why would anyone expect a guy who's been in
> the NFL for a while already to have all this
> untapped potential in the weight room and so much
> more size that he can add to his frame. Hasn't he
> been a part of NFL strength training for a while
> now. I'm sure he's been in the gym working to be
> as big and strong as he can be these past few
> years. Why does everyone assume that for a player
> who needs to improve at some aspects of his
> position, adding 30lbs of chiseled fast-twitch
> muscle is the obvious, easy-fix answer.

This is why:

1. Last year he was only in his 2nd year
2. He's played in 2 systems under 2 coaches in 2 years
3. He didn't put on extra weight last season because the Head Coaching job and philosophy was uncertain. Cam prefers smaller and quicker centers, so Satele prepared for THAT.
4. He played much of the year with chumps at the Guard positions next to him. If he had Smiley and Thomas all year, I'm convinced we wouldn't be hearing these things about Satele.
5. He played injured most of the year (torn labrum).

Fact is, Satele has the tools to be a ProBowl-caliber Center. He just needs some stability in coaching and personnel, and he needs to play healthy. I have a feeling the staff is willing to give Satele next year to really prove what he can do.

Date: February 08, 2009 11:17AM

SO trade him to CAM

Date: February 08, 2009 01:03PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> SO trade him to CAM

You missed the whole point.

Date: February 08, 2009 02:51PM

No, I was being funny. Haaaa Haaaa

Date: February 08, 2009 04:25PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> No, I was being funny. Haaaa Haaaa

Ahh...emoticons help spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 08, 2009 06:00PM

Was that humor? You may think you're witty, but you're only half as witty as you think you are. Truly a "half-wit". grinning smiley

Date: February 09, 2009 01:53PM

Date: February 09, 2009 02:30PM

DolphinSam Wrote:
> Both Centers listed are taller than Satele. But
> not necessarily bigger. Didn't you guys say he's
> 300lbs? Does the height matter that much with
> Center? I don't know I'm just asking.

I thought a shorter Center was preferable to allow the QB to see over him?

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 10, 2009 11:10AM

Two years ago all the post draft reports said the we had drafted a center (Satele) who would be our starter for the next 10 years. Now all the reports say that the Phins are looking for a new center. If Satele is not good enough to play the position then we have to get someone who is, but it sure would have been nice to see that high draft pick actually pay off for us.

Date: February 10, 2009 02:33PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> Two years ago all the post draft reports said the
> we had drafted a center (Satele) who would be our
> starter for the next 10 years. Now all the
> reports say that the Phins are looking for a new
> center. If Satele is not good enough to play the
> position then we have to get someone who is, but
> it sure would have been nice to see that high
> draft pick actually pay off for us.

It's all speculation and overreaction. Satele will be back next year and will prove all those reports wrong.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.