HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Center position....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Center position....
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 07, 2009 02:11AM

ghotirule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think we can have a great O-Line without a super
> Center.
>
> With Dwight Stevenson, the Dolphins were a
> perennial playoff team. Without him, we sucked
> until Ruddy showed up.

Didn't we make it to the Superbowl before Dwight and after Langer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 07, 2009 04:22AM

montequi Wrote:
>
> Didn't we make it to the Superbowl before Dwight
> and after Langer?

No I don't think so. I remember Stephenson being Langer's successor.

Date: January 07, 2009 08:11AM

JC Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Didn't we make it to the Superbowl before
> Dwight
> > and after Langer?
>
>
> No I don't think so. I remember Stephenson being
> Langer's successor.

We sure did. Our centers were Mark Dennard and Bob Kuechenberg (who played G/T/C) in 1983, when we played Washington in the Superbowl. That was the great Killer B year with WoodStrock at QB. I don't remember exactly, but I'd guess Kuechenberg took over for Dennard after an injury? Dennard only started 8 games that year.

Either way, I wouldn't classify eitherDennard or Kuechenberg as great Centers, and we actually had a decent running game that year!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 08:17AM by montequi.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:08AM

The reason Satele struggle was because he was playing with two VERY unheralded backups next to him. One of which was an undrafted free agent. He was playing fin until Thomas and Smiley went down.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:13AM

I just think Satele gets dominated against the upper echelon NT's in this league. Actually, I dont think he does, I *KNOW* he does!!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:44AM

I think I'll put my trust in Sparano on this.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:53AM

Someone on Omar's blog mentioned that Jason Brown of the Ravens is a free agent after this season. He is 6'3", 320. I think he would be able to hold his own against some of the premier DTs and NTs we'll face next year.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 07, 2009 10:03AM

I like WalterFooballs' reviews pretty accurate (I agree w/ them). If Mack and Luigi are better than the kid from Bama yep we should grab one. I though the kid from Bama was the best C prospect and I have watched him play several times and think he is outstanding. Satele is one of my favorite Phins, would hate to see him go but this is 20 century pro football.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 07, 2009 10:37AM

OK guys lets think about why and who drafted satele. Cam drafted him because he is a great pass blocker and Cam's vision was to covert us to a spread offense which is why he drafted beck (who also ran the spread at BYU). Now that a new management has taken over I dont think satele fits in with their scheme. Now if cam was to get rid of him a draft a new center than yeah why did we draft him but this regime wants to pound the ball, and do playaction behind it. I dont see satele being big enough to play on our line. nothing personal but I think that he IS the weakest link... I know its not thomas (cause he is a mauler) and I know it is not smiley. I think we need a OL man to move the LOS I must agree that guy is center.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 07, 2009 11:30AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 07, 2009 01:02PM

JC Your just to funny. I remember that game too. My son, just a little guy then, was wondering why I was so upset. Then when they lost to the 9ers he understood.

The thing I kept thinking is that we had a real shot at signing Riggins. Dam it, that might have gotten us another SB or two.

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: January 07, 2009 04:19PM

I'd love to see us grab a big center with the first pick and continue to fortify the offensive line, but we also need serious help at NT and DE.

I'd be very content if we drafted for the trenches in the first two rounds.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2009 06:30PM

Dennard played most of the season because of the strike. After the strike and through the playoffs it was Dwight.

So yes, Dennard played well at center against the scabs, but when the big boys came back it was Dwight Stephenson.

For the record, Dwight was a backup for most of his rookie year - 1980, but he was still platooned. After that, he was the starter for every non-strike game, until that A-hole from the Jest cut his career short with a dirty block in the back.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:08AM

I keep hearing that Sparano is not satisfied with Satele and wants to get bigger, stronger and faster everywhere.

Satele is 6'3 300 lbs. I do not know of any center anywhere in the league that is noticeably bigger than that. Even Al Johnson is only 6'5 305. Two inches and 5 lbs does not really equate to bigger.

If you look at all the centers in the league...even the most successfull ones...they are right about the same weight as Satele. Some even smaller at 295.

I don't see how we are going to get bigger or faster there but we could definately get stronger...which is why I can't figure out why Satele can't just put away the donuts and lift some weights and do some core work to improve his strength.

There is also no top ranked center in the draft that is bigger.

What are your thoughts?

Matt Birk is a 6 time Pro Bowl Center that will be a UFA his year. He was drafted in the 6th round and will be 33 in July. He is 6'4 309 lbs.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 21, 2009 03:26PM

Mayock has Eric Wood as the number 1 center this year...ahead of Mack and the other guy. He is 6'4 and 310 and nasty according to Mike.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:29AM

Isn't the bigger issue with Satele is that he has short arms?

Date: January 22, 2009 05:03AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> Isn't the bigger issue with Satele is that he has
> short arms?

Hmm, I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense. A guy that size can usually get in the weightroom and put on 10 to 15 (or even 20) pounds without affecting his overall performance, but he can't make is arms longer.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 22, 2009 08:04AM

With nothing but humor intended...

Actually, I think they were worried that Ginn's arms seemed to shrink when going over the middle smiling smiley

I hadn't heard about Satele's arms one way or the other...

Date: January 22, 2009 08:15AM

That was the knock on him coming out of college...that his arms were too short for an o-lineman.

Date: January 22, 2009 09:50AM

I heard the same.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 26, 2009 01:41PM

WHen playing against the 3-4 defense, Offensively you have a huge advantage if your center can take on the NT one on one. Satele is not big enough or strong enough to do that. Ireland/Parcells want a guy with herculeing strength like Donald Thomas as there center. A center that can do that obviously brings the advantage to the running game. Coaches were not very happy with the yards per run avg from R Brown and Ricky out of the base offense. Both somewhere in the mid 2's. Wildcat bothe avg in the 5's. They blame this on an undersized center, that is more of a guy design for downfield blocks and screens, as Mueller was obviously building the team with all of his undersized offensive picks. Very different then a guy who can take on a DL like WIlfork one on one. That is the guy who Satele couldnt handle so well and IMO put him on the ship out of town. I think Satele is a great center even potential pro bowler, just not in Parcells system. They want a guy like Jake( who doesn't)strong as an ox but still able to get down field and makes some blocks as well.

Date: January 27, 2009 06:06AM

Are there any Centers that can take on a Kris Jenkins, Albert Haynesworth, Vince Wilfork or a Casey Hampton one on one?

Date: January 27, 2009 07:06AM

eesti Wrote:
> Are there any Centers that can take on a Kris
> Jenkins, Albert Haynesworth, Vince Wilfork or a
> Casey Hampton one on one?

Dwight Stephensen may have been able to. He handled the Fridge in that game where we ruined the Bears' undefeated season. I distinctly remember him putting the Fridge on his a** many times.

Date: January 27, 2009 07:09AM

Can he be reincarnated?

Date: January 27, 2009 07:11AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Can he be reincarnated?

Wouldn't he have to be dead first?

Date: January 27, 2009 07:33AM

I dont know Im not buddist. I was just wishing he could be 22 again.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 27, 2009 09:08AM

We need someone along the O-line in this years draft. If that means drafting a bigger center and Moving Satele to guard then thats OK by me. Either way though he'll have to add some more muscle and put on 10-20 pounds.

Date: January 27, 2009 09:41AM

Yo....im post 14,700! Yeah, Im bored at work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 09:41AM by Aqua&Orange.

Posted by: greg woulf ()
Date: January 27, 2009 03:03PM

I still say it's the o-line coaches fault, and the Offensive coordinator. Satele was moving people around last year and he was working out less.

He's big and fast for a center. I'm sure he can get better, get stronger and linemen naturally put on weight after a couple years.

I don't think he was the weak point in the line. How many centers in the league pushed our NT Ferguson back every play? None.

We needed better play calling to take advantage of a pretty good line. I'm all for improving the line, but I think people are pointing the wrong direction.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 01:25PM

Just a question, but what about Donald Thomas, taking a shot at center. He is the guy who could handle the above mentioned Dlinemen one on one IMO. In the Jets game, I rember him hanging with SHaun Ellis on many plays in his first ever profesional start . So much so, he told Pennington after the game, that Donald THomas, was an animal, and going to be something special. One of if not the strongest guy he has ever gone against...... first start as a rookie...that type of respect..impressive.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.