HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          just throwing this out there....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: just throwing this out there....
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 08, 2009 02:21PM

You're so quick to dump Pennington. Perhaps you should be a Jet fan.

Do you really think that ANY QB that can throw accurately downfield is a better QB than Pennington? Strong-armed QBs are a dime-a-dozen. Numerous come out of college every year. Very few actually become starters in the NFL. What about Brees and the Saints? They have more talent than we do. He's very accurate downfield. He almost broke Marino's single-season yardage record!! BUT......WE were in the playoffs. WE had a better record. Replace Pennington with Henne and we miss the playoffs and probably have a worse record than N.O. You're so stuck on throwing downfield, you're ignoring all the other things Pennington brings to the table.

1. Leadership
2. A level head
3. Low turnovers (BEST in the NFL)
4. Very accurate short-to-midrange (BEST in the NFL)
5. Dedication (this guy's going to be a coach someday)
6. No Ego

Throw in any other QB and they won't give you those things. Just #3 is enough to override a guy that has a strong arm but doesn't read defenses well and throws risky passes into double coverage.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about Henne. But, suggesting that Flacco is better than Pennington and that Henne will unseat him next year by playing better in preseason is ridiculous. Seriously. You're a nutcase.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 08, 2009 03:30PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're so quick to dump Pennington. Perhaps you
> should be a Jet fan.

RESPONSE: You are really getting out there to suggest a fan who has been with this team since April of 1967 should go root for another team simply because he is advocating a roster change with which you do not agree.

>
> Do you really think that ANY QB that can throw
> accurately downfield is a better QB than
> Pennington? Strong-armed QBs are a dime-a-dozen.
> Numerous come out of college every year. Very few
> actually become starters in the NFL. What about
> Brees and the Saints? They have more talent than
> we do. He's very accurate downfield. He almost
> broke Marino's single-season yardage record!!
> BUT......WE were in the playoffs. WE had a better
> record.

RESPONSE: No, I don't believe or think that. If a quarterback had ONLY A strong arm and, for example, not enough intelligence to run an offense, then he would be just as DEFECTIVE as Pennington.

I CLEARLY STATED ABOVE that any quarterback that has a glaring defect in his game, whether he can throw the long ball or not, is not the quarterback for a team that expects to go all the way next year.

Replace Pennington with Henne and we miss
> the playoffs and probably have a worse record than
> N.O.

RESPONSE: You may very well be right but you forget I'm talking about the fall of 2009 and was NOT SAYING THAT HENNE SHOULD HAVE STARTED LAST YEAR. Please keep your arguments to positions I have taken. This is particularly true since I said that Pennington was the best we had at the start of last year and that going with Henne would be chancing it with a rookie.

You're so stuck on throwing downfield,
> you're ignoring all the other things Pennington
> brings to the table.
>
> 1. Leadership
> 2. A level head
> 3. Low turnovers (BEST in the NFL)
> 4. Very accurate short-to-midrange (BEST in the
> NFL)
> 5. Dedication (this guy's going to be a coach
> someday)
> 6. No Ego
> Throw in any other QB and they won't give you
> those things.

RESPONSE: Yes, and if any other quarterback has a glaring deficiency in one of those areas, I would not back him either. So just add No. 7 to your list as the ability to put zip on the ball and if one needs all SEVEN of those capabilities to qualify, Pennington would not qualify himself because he would lack the seventh.

But let's apply those factors to Griese, Marino, Elway, Montana, Rothlisberger (sp), Favre, or even to others such as Carson Palmer, etc., and they all have all of those factors plus the long range arm.

Just #3 is enough to override a guy
> that has a strong arm but doesn't read defenses
> well and throws risky passes into double
> coverage.

RESPONSE: On what basis do you claim that I am advocating someone who does not read defenses? Are you saying that about Flacco? What is your proof?

>
> Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about Henne.
> But, suggesting that Flacco is better than
> Pennington and that Henne will unseat him next
> year by playing better in preseason is ridiculous.

RESPONSE: Well, we'll just have to see.

> Seriously. You're a nutcase.

RESPONSE: You commented above that you thought I was more of an intelligent fan. Frankly, Montequi, I always thought you as more of a gentleman than to resort to this kind of comment when someone disagrees with you about a matter involving a team that they both support.

I would have expected this type of comment out of Ghotirule but not you. If you can defend your position, keep it on that level. If you cannot, engaging in this kind of comment does not help you anymore with the readers regardless of how much you may think it's a convenient comeback.

Date: January 08, 2009 04:20PM

Dude, if you still insist on sticking to your comment that Flacco (a rookie Qcool smiley is "much better" than Pennington, I'll still think your crazy. If you can admit that that statement was excessive, then we can just agree to disagree on Pennington.

Date: January 08, 2009 04:35PM

montequi Wrote:
> Dude, if you still insist on sticking to your
> comment that Flacco (a rookie Qcool smiley is "much better"
> than Pennington, I'll still think your crazy. If
> you can admit that that statement was excessive,
> then we can just agree to disagree on Pennington.

RESPONSE: I believe that in three years Flacco will still be leading the Ravens while Pennington will be out of football. Thinking somebody is "crazy for believing that" is one thing, which I don't mind, but calling someone a "nutcase" is entirely something else.

Date: January 08, 2009 04:46PM

Hell, just like everybody else I am pissed at the Ravens for beating my Dolphins and I will be only watching ONE GAME this weekend, and that is the Titans versus the Ravens. And my purpose in watching will be to see the Ravens get destroyed and that will include Flacco being put on his ass repeatedly.

But we are not talking about Flacco. We are talking about the future of our OWN team and not having to sit back and face this humiliation AGAIN in 2009.

Certainly, we could have had a better O-line. Certainly, we were hurting at WR in the game. Moreover, as I have said, the coaching staff made silly decisions (not as bad as at the close of the season but some that hurt). Certainly, we could have had more pressure on Flacco.

But even if we fix all of those things, we will not go any farther next year.

Date: January 08, 2009 04:53PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Certainly, we could have had a better O-line.
> Certainly, we were hurting at WR in the game.
> Moreover, as I have said, the coaching staff made
> silly decisions (not as bad as at the close of the
> season but some that hurt). Certainly, we could
> have had more pressure on Flacco.
>
> But even if we fix all of those things, we will
> not go any farther next year.

If we had fixed those things, we could have beat Baltimore and, hence, gone farther. I think we WILL go farther next year WITH Pennington. Farther just means we win a playoff game.

Date: January 08, 2009 05:46PM

I hope you're right if he indeed is our quarterback next year, but I don't think we would. We will be playing a much tougher schedule next year.

Date: September 22, 2013 05:39PM

Funny to revisit this thread for the Game after we next play New Orleans, that is the Ravens.

Date: September 22, 2013 05:41PM

Quite different teams on both sides. The Ravens proved today (with their win against Houston) that even with all the changes in the offseason, they're still a force. I'm concentrating on the Saints for now.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.