HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It was a Hulluva Season
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
It was a Hulluva Season
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:08AM

This season has been the best ones I've ever seen as a Dolphins fan. It is the best season where we didn't make the Super Bowl.

To be honest, I didn't expect the Phins to win the playoff game. But, this game will be a great experience to build upon.

And that was what this season was about. This is the season we turn things around and build a winning culture. Developed a core group of leaders. We won the AFC East. Got some early playoff experience.

The Phins have another offseason for our stellar front office to reload talent. I'm excited to see what the future holds.

BTW, If you reply to this post with some half baked "Parcells is leaving and taking the coach and FO with him" I will pummel you mercilessly when it doesn't happen next season.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It was a Hulluva Season
Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:29AM

Winning the East was such a great accomplishment. This "could have" been the best season ever, but once again we embarrass ourselves in the playoffs. I expected a better Phin-ish. This was not the team I "didn't" get to see all season.

Date: January 04, 2009 11:34AM

Aw, come on. You really expected us to go far in the post season???

It was far from an embarrassment. The crowd was loud, and we were in the game until Ginn's last gaffe. The team hung tough to the end, played hard against a superior foe, and had a shot despite a ton of turnovers.

Next season is the year for expectations, but I hold nothing against this years team for today's performance.

Go Phins!

Posted by: angryseas ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:40AM

in retrospect when the game seemed liek it was getting out of habd they didnt cave and let it get outright embarassing like i expacted so hopefully the team usees this season to build on and they can becoem a true ligit contender next year

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:47AM

Well if you put it like that, I'll have to agree...much better than our loss to the Jags.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 04, 2009 12:16PM

Embarrassment? Are you kidding me? We give up the ball what 6 times and still have a chance at the end. I'd say that really tells us some good things about this team. It's up from here and should excite everyone!!smileys with beer

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 01:33PM

I agree...we are up and away and with Parcells returning we will just gather more talent next year. Honestly we are still 2 years from the superbowl...but it comes quickly

Date: January 04, 2009 03:00PM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 03:10PM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: January 04, 2009 03:33PM

Yep, it was a heck of a ride. And it was great that the game was a sell out. The players are holding their head up high, ready for next season, and that's what all of YOU should be doing.

smileys with beer

We're going to work hard again, and fill more holes. I honestly don't expect us to make the playoffs next year, I expect a small step back, then another big step forward in our third year. This was a special season, we worked especially hard, and next season teams will be ready for us and have plenty of game tape, which they didn't have before.

My only regret is that we didn't get Ryan. But I can't complain about any other moves the front office has made.

Let's build on what we got.

We can't go another year without a running game. Priority number one should be the offensive line, and targets for Pennington. If we can blow open some holes to run the ball, and throw more effectively, we'll be solid. It's about moving the chains with ball control, and then punching it in the end zone. This keeps opposing offense off the field, and you win the game.

Date: January 04, 2009 03:35PM

smileys with beer

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 04, 2009 04:16PM

The team did not embarrass themselves IMHO. They played hard but were simply out played and out muscled. The Ravens were more physical and it showed in all areas of the game. Both of our lines have to improve dramatically for us to be a real force going forward. A team with Satelle, Long and Carey blocking for Brown, Williams and Cobbs should not be struggling to run the ball. I hope the F/O brings in a couple of really big and physically nasty bodies to prop up the O-Line. Then our D-Line (all three of them) must get MUCH better at pass rushing. We can't rely on our linebackers to get pressure as often because that exposes other areas when they don't get there. Then the linebackers themselves need to improve quite a bit. As I have said before (others too) we need also need help at WR and in the secondary then we need special team’s coverage help too.

The way I see it we need...at a minnimum.

1. Big, Fast, Physical WR.
2. Big, Fast Hard Hitting CB or two.
3. Another Jake Long on the O-Line.
4. Big, Big, Big, Big, Nasty, NT.
5. Big, Nasty, Pass Rushing, Run Stuffing DE.
6. Upgrades to size, strength, and speed everywhere else.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2009 06:39PM

I'm proud as hell of this team AND the way they stuck it out today. Pennington was having a bad game. It happens to ALL QBs from time-to-time. This time it was the Baltimore defense that did it to him. Chad had nowhere to go with his passes, and the running game wasn't working consistently. Chad was under a lot of pressure physically AND mentally. I think he did all he could to give us a chance to win in the end. It just didn't work out. We had a lot of games bounce our way this year. This one just didn't.

Posted by: KrK ()
Date: January 04, 2009 06:43PM

I'm with Ghotirule. This was a fantastic year, and we're going to load in more talent, and next year is going to be exciting. We have a tough schedule next year--- WHICH IS GOOD, because if we can have a good record against that, we're Superbowl contenders for sure.

1-15 to 11-5. In 1 year. Wow.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 05, 2009 03:17AM

We were in it until CP's red zone INT.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 05, 2009 05:53AM

I knew deep down we didn't have the talent to go deep in the playoffs but that didn't stop me from hoping. It was disappointing yesterday but I am over it today and very proud to be a Phin fan again.

We are still AFC East Champs and will be until our title is taken away. They can't take that from us for at least a year.

Our future is bright. Bill Parcels said he is staying and I can't wait to see what we do in the off season although I will be going nuts until April.

In hindsight, this loss is not the end of the world. We just did not have the personnel to beat these playoff teams...plain and simple. One thing it did was reaffirm where our weaknesses are.

We need a mauler at Guard and center or we need to move Satele to LG. Carey was not as good as we thought either. He had a rough year. The good points are Jake Long and Thomas. In any case we will see some change on the O-line. We are set at TE and RB but need a larger #1 WR to team up with Bess and Camarillo. I still think Ginn will be a stud in his third season but TJ Housh would be a great compliment.

Also, we have Todd Lowber (6'3 205) on our practice squad and he runs a 4.1 40....that's right...4.1! We just need to teach him how to play WR as he has NO experience. He did not play in College but was a High Jump champ and has only been on practice squads for about a year. He also played basketball in college.

We need someone to pair with Crowder and we need more pass rush besides just Porter. Merling struggled with converting to a 3-4 DE but will continue to grow and be a quality player. We need to upgrade our secondary with a player or two as well.

Our Special teams coverage units grew by leaps and bounds this year and finished strong. We just need a stud returner to do punts and kicks and leave Ginn to worry about catching balls. We could answer this by drafting a CB that can return k/p's as well.

Overall this season surpassed my realistic hopes and did not embarrass themselves in the least. We will again snag some talent from the draft and hopefully some 1st round talent in the 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounds as we did this year and some undrafted free agents

Keep the faith and wear your Dolphin gear with pride...especially the ones that say 2008 AFC East CHAMPIONS!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.