Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Flynn to Miami may have hit an abrupt end...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Flynn to Miami may have hit an abrupt end...
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 23, 2012 03:06AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flynn to Miami may have hit an abrupt end...
Date: February 23, 2012 04:37AM

Now we know why they were priasing Tanehill the other day. Let Greenbay think we have other options and they could get stuck with a $14 Million Clip board holder......

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:47AM

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The packers were around 10-11 mill under this years cap if you included their rollover from 2011.

The just signed Finley to a 2 year deal. That's going to knock that cap number down a few more mill.

The franchise tag for qb is $14.5 mill this year.

They'd have to cut a few players to free up the room to pull off this move. There's no way the most frugal franchise in the NFL runs the risk of not being able to compete because their backup qb is making 2.5x what their all world starter is making.

Date: February 23, 2012 04:49AM

I am hearing that they are willing to do this so that a team can give them picks for their backup.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:52AM

We do have other options. We don't need to make Green Bay "think" that.

Luck and Griffin are still options, expensive as they may be, as is Tannehill, Foles, Wheeden, and the majority of the F/A's coming available. Then we have the option of staying with what we have right now.

We have very little idea as to what the staff is currently looking for at QB. We may think we know, based upon what we've read, and what we think, but those things really mean very little.

What I think is that there is no way GB puts the franchise tag on Flynn.

Date: February 23, 2012 05:08AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am hearing that they are willing to do this so
> that a team can give them picks for their backup.

If you are the dolphins or any other team interested in Flynn why would you make that trade?

First off.... You could have had him last year for a 4th or 5th and nobody bit.

Secondly...if they set the bar at 15 mill for his salary how are you going to get him to take a deal in the 8-10 mill per year range? You'd be better off letting them eat that contract and going after the players theyll need to cut to make him fit.

Green Bay has never been big players in free agency either overpaying for their own or others players. Their worst nightmare is they franchise Flynn and everyone decides to wait one more year for him to hit free agency.

I said it months ago...I'll as it again: IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

The reason is not only gb,s history financially...but he's not Matt cassell. Cassell won 11 games filling in for Brady. He was MUCH more of a "proven" commodity than Flynn is.

Date: February 23, 2012 05:42AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I am hearing that they are willing to do this so
> that a team can give them picks for their backup.

Or they get stuck Paying him $14 Million that they can't afford.

Its a huge Gamble......again Miami was letting them know we have other options. Let the mind games begin......winking smiley

Date: February 23, 2012 06:24AM

But according to the article, because they worked out a great deal with Jermichael Finley, they would be able to eat that $14 Mill if they wanted too.

Hey listen, I find it hard to believe too. But I guess anything is possible, that's all I'm sayin.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 23, 2012 06:53AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> But according to the article, because they worked
> out a great deal with Jermichael Finley, they
> would be able to eat that $14 Mill if they wanted
> too.
>
> Hey listen, I find it hard to believe too. But I
> guess anything is possible, that's all I'm sayin.

How?

If they were 10mill under the cap without Finley on their books and then they sign him to a 2 year/14mill deal...their cap space goes DOWN not up. Let's say they back loaded finleys deal and instead of $7 mill he only counts as 3 mill this year and 11 mill next year. Their cap space drops to $7 mill from $10.

In order for them to get to 15 mill in space to cover franchising Flynn they are going to have to cut or restructure a handfull of guys.

The problem with that is if you cut those guys you create holes you need to fill which you can't if nobody wants Flynn at franchise tag money...and who would? He's probably worth half that on the open market.

So if you are green bay and you just cut Donald driver and a couple of other guys to roll the dice on franchising Flynn...then nobody wants him at that price you are stuck having to cut ANOTHER player or two just to able to sign your rookies.

Now you have a backup qb who doesn't play and is making 2.5x as much as your starter AND you have 4-6 new "holes" in your roster you didn't have before and no money to deal with it with.

Some other franchise might risk it but not GB. First off they are one of the favorites to win it all so cutting 5 important playes is a bad idea and secondly they just don't roll that way financially.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 06:57AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 23, 2012 03:39PM

The Packers were $9.4M under the cap without Finley, and that includes the carry over from last year. Finley's new contract pays him $6M in 2012, so the Packers are $3.4M under the cap without franchising Flynn. Franchising Flynn will put them $11M over the cap. It would be a huge gamble for them.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:34PM

Franchising him is real risky, we should pass if they do that, I am not sutre if anyone else will pay that much

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.