Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Are the new short term contracts a good thing?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Are the new short term contracts a good thing?
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 07, 2011 08:22AM

It seems the new CBA or weird offseason has lead to many FA not being signed yet.
And alot of short term deals... DO you think Ronnie would have signed a one year deal. Or Bush a 2 year deal.
SUre some guys made out like Santonio Holmes and Kevin Kolb,Peyton Manning, but I am amzed at how many guys who finally became FA, and want to get paid, and are only getting one and two year offers.. Very little in the ways of huge signing bonus and long term deals..
WHich I think is good for the NFL but not neccesarily for 5 th year guys looking to set up their future... I got to believe alot of players are unhappy with what is happening with contracts in FA signings. Alot of players might get left out to dry, or play for minimums.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are the new short term contracts a good thing?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 07, 2011 08:32AM

I just think it was a buyers market this year with the glut of free agents and shortened time frame, I would suspect it will be back to normal next year.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: August 07, 2011 09:17AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 08, 2011 10:34AM

John Clayton answered this Q re all of the 1-year deals

Q: I can't recall ever seeing so many quality players under 30 signing one-year contracts (Braylon Edwards, Mike Sims-Walker, Stephen Tulloch, Barrett Ruud, etc.). Can you? Three years was the standard contract for a starting-caliber player. Is this how it's going to be under the new CBA? Is there any chance that the VPs and GMs made some type of deal while they were working together on the CBA to start signing guys to one-year deals? I know it's a conspiracy theory, but it just seems so strange that high-profile players are getting one-year deals. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Steven in Brick, N.J.

A: Several smart general managers figured that out three or four days before the one-year deals started coming in. The reason is simple. The cap is $120 million. There are only so many big deals that can fit into a team's cap. Everyone wants the big multi-year deals. If they can't get them, the players are willing to take the one-year deal and try the next year. The problem for next year is that the cap might not go up much. A $120.375 million cap is at 2008 levels. These are 2011 dollars. Something has to give, and players are accepting less in years and less in dollars unless they have contract leverage to get a great deal.

Date: August 08, 2011 10:56AM

If you get injured on a one year deal and you are an elite player, you get screwed. I personally think it is awful for a player with value to put themselves in that position. Most players before didnt even like to put themselves into their final year on a deal, without a renegotiation on a new deal, now so many FA sign one year deals. I am just surprised. I think if a player gets injured a team owes him more then just the rest of his one year deal and that is a horrible position for a younger professional athlete to put himself in IMO

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 08, 2011 11:09AM

I guess they felt it was worth the risk, if the alternative was to sign a long term deal for far less than they think they are worth

Date: August 08, 2011 01:42PM

I'm not gonna lie Crowder, I'm getting a chuckle out of you feeling sorry for the players after the last few months. grinning smiley

Date: August 08, 2011 01:48PM

I feel bad for people that I feel are getting the raw end of the deal, in the previous situation you are refering to I felt the owners were getting worked over, the players and rookies were getting way to much...
In this situation, I think the players are getting the raw end of the deal... Everybody made me out to be this guys that is just a diehard owner hardliner, I am far from that... But sometimes it is easier to label one's opponent an extremist or hardliner, rather then the fact there might be some validity and logical reason behind that which he stands behind... Either Way Cheers, I am glad that lockout madness is over, I surely wasnt making any friends around here during that time...

Date: August 08, 2011 02:00PM

I'm just messing with you, I never took anything you said personal and I hope you never did either, we just disagreed thats allsmileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.