HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          off season part 2
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
off season part 2
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 03:26PM

so draft is over whether you like the picks or not. now comes signing free agents and undrafted rookies. i have seen other threads on undrafted rookies that we should target. in this thread i wanna hear about who you guys think we should target as current free agents. here is my take:

Sign a top tier guard to field a top offensive line with Long, Free Agent, Pouncey, Incognito, Carey. The candidate I like the most is Carl Nicks unless we could somehow get Logan Mankins but I doubt the Patriots give him up. Although I also doubt that Mankins will ever sign with the Patriots.

Sign a RB that will complement Daniel Thomas without breaking the bank so that means no DeAngelo Williams. Other possibilities include Sproles, Reggie Bush, or an undrafted rookie.

Sign Hassleback or get Carson Palmer without giving up much. If this doesn't work out then sign Bulger or VY. The key is to keep the draft next year in tact so we can move up in the first round to take one of the top QBs in Luck, Barkley, or Foles.

Bring in some competition at TE.

Also go after Eric Weddle, FS, if San Diego cannot sign him.

Keys for me is to keep next years draft in tact and not break the bank unless it is a top tier guard. I don't want this thread to become another debate on which FA QB we should sign because i know threads have been made about that. this thread is about the entire class of free agents that we can sign to upgrade any part of the roster. what do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: off season part 2
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 03, 2011 03:28PM

With our front office, you should have said "Off Season - Part Duh"

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 03, 2011 03:32PM

I would like to sign Sydney Rice, trade Marshall for whatever picks we can get....then next draft,

move up and pick one of the 3 "franchise" QB's coming out next draft.

Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, or Landry Jones.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 03:39PM

we couldn't get crap for marshall in a trade with his baggage. he is worth way more to us than anything we could get in a trade. He's still a top 5 WR in the league. Trade him? no way!!

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 03:42PM

i think we should sign John Clay RB Wis. to go with Thomas. Im not sure how he went undrafted, but hell why not.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Date: May 03, 2011 03:54PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to sign Sydney Rice, trade Marshall
> for whatever picks we can get....then next draft,
>
>
> move up and pick one of the 3 "franchise" QB's
> coming out next draft.
>
> Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, or Landry Jones.

i don't think minny will let rice get away and marshall won't fetch much in a trade. a third rounder probably which is not enough return.

i agree with trading up in the draft to select a franchise qb but I like nick foles, arizona, much better than landry jones. i have watched landry jones a lot and i don't think he is on the same level as foles or barkely. obviously luck is in a league of his own.

Date: May 03, 2011 03:55PM

g_fish55 Wrote:
> i think we should sign John Clay RB Wis. to go
> with Thomas. Im not sure how he went undrafted,
> but hell why not.

i think he fell because of an injury. he would be good to bring in for training camp but he is pretty similar to Daniel Thomas.

Date: May 03, 2011 04:03PM

guys, I don't think there is any way we get luck unless we have the worst record in the league. no team that bad will trade that pick if luck plays like he did this season. they would trade whoever they had at QB instead. That includes Cam Newton or any other team that recently took a QB high.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 03, 2011 04:04PM

Luck really ain't that good. Trust me.

Mind you, I'm not saying that people don't THINK he's that good. They do. But they're wrong.

Date: May 03, 2011 04:07PM

I haven't seen him play much but the consensus is he's payton manning part 2. I haven't heard anyone say otherwise.

Date: May 03, 2011 04:12PM

not sure about that berk. if any of these rookie QBs has a good rookie season then I would not be sure that they wouldn't put the number 1 pick up for auction and try to improve other areas of their team. teams like the Jags, Titans, or Panthers. if their QBs play well or show promise then they would have to give heavy consideration to a good offer. plus the panthers would then spend two #1 picks and a second rounder on QBs in three straight years. they would not be able to get fair value in a trade with newton. i would be willing to give up the entire draft to get luck and part of next years draft as well. could a team with a promising young qb really pass up, lets say two round 1 picks, 1 round 2 pick, 2 round 3 pick, and 1 round four picks.

oh and i agree with berk. luck is the real deal. chyren B, im not sure what you base your statement on except being a cynic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 04:13PM by dolphin1423.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 03, 2011 04:14PM

No clearly Scam was going to be the #1 pick even had Andrew Luck decided to come out get real Chyren. Luck will be the next Manning, Brady, Rothlesberger, Rivers you get the picture. Scam on the other hand will be the next biggest bust at the QB position those word Chyren are ones you can mark. To say luck is not very good means either two things you don't know football or you hate Stanford so which one is it.

Date: May 03, 2011 05:06PM

Luck is the best college QB prospect since Peyton Manning. Hands down.

---------------------

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: May 03, 2011 05:40PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> we couldn't get crap for marshall in a trade with
> his baggage. he is worth way more to us than
> anything we could get in a trade. He's still a top
> 5 WR in the league. Trade him? no way!!

He's never been a top 5 WR. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, and Reggie Wayne. And that's just the start of guys I would take ahead of Marshall. If you average 12 yards per catch for your career, and average a TD every 15 catches, you're not that great. And when you are in the top 5 in the league in drops every year, you're not that great. He is what he is, which is a possession receiver. And we already have two of those in Bess and Hartline.

Date: May 03, 2011 05:57PM

ok top 8

Date: May 03, 2011 06:08PM

first off, i gotta agree with berk. at least one more year with marshall and if he is a distraction then trade him for anything we can get. we can't afford having marshall be a distraction to the new franchise qb we will hopefully draft next year. that said he is definitely top 8 with top 5 potential if he cuts down on drops. greg jennings is better than reggie wayne by the way.

second, were kinda deviating from the point of this thread, which is what you guys think about giving money to top free agents. i think we should throw money at a top guard, Nicks, and eric weddle if the chargers can't sign him. but only sign weddle to a moderate contract not a huge one. no big money for RB or QB. sign a smaller deal to sproles, bush, or some other fast rb. sign a vet QB for a smaller 2 or 3 year deal and see what happens. it might be nice to keep someone like hassleback or bulger around to help develop the franchise qb we hopefully draft next year. what do you think of my ideas and who do you guys wanna go get as free agents?

Date: May 03, 2011 06:12PM

I think we've thrown so much $$ at the OL I don't know if we pay big $$ for another guard. I'm OK with adding FA safety, RB, and TE. Do we even know who the FAs are? I think it depends on whatever CBA they work out? We need a FA RB for sure---D Williams is my first choice, then Sproles. I'd like to sign Brad Smith too, he's just what we need and it would hurt the jets too. I think we are OK at WR, DL. We could use another ILB/special team maven type.

Date: May 03, 2011 06:23PM

i agree with adding a FA RB and TE but the question is how much money do we want to spend. there are no top TE that will require tons of money but D. Williams will be expensive. with his injury history i am not sure about spending big money on him since he may not finish the deal the same player he is now. Brad Smith would be nice but only for cheap since we have some nice young WR's. I think signing Eric Weddle could be huge for the defense. he is a FS that is very smart and instinctive and I think we should throw some money his way. he is vastly underrated and he is one of the top 8 safeties in the league. i doubt SD lets him get away but you never know.

i am skeptical as well about G but i wouldn't mind signing someone with no injury history and that is young as well like Nicks. i guess it will depend on their confidence in Jerry.

some FA we know for sure but a lot of players are restricted under the old CBA so we don't know if they will be restricted under the new CBA.

Date: May 03, 2011 06:32PM

I think we should give jerry another chance to see what he can do.
I don't think d williams will get as much $$ as you think---RBs rarely do, particularly ones with injury history

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 04, 2011 09:44AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Luck is the best college QB prospect since Peyton
> Manning. Hands down.

If we ever have a chance to draft this kid and we do not, we will regret it for a long time.

Date: May 04, 2011 10:56AM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: May 04, 2011 01:10PM

No on Jones he has a weak arm, look at his pass's also all of his highlights are from the Shotgun.

No thanks on him.

Date: May 04, 2011 01:22PM

He has a 66% completion percentage and a 38-12 Touchdown to INT ratio.

---------------------

Date: May 04, 2011 01:23PM

He is gonna be a top 5 pick.

---------------------

Date: May 04, 2011 01:24PM

Mia1 i agree. landry is not on the same level as barkley and luck. he could still become a good nfl qb but will never be elite like barkley could be and luck surely will be.

check out nick foles from arizona. he is a top prospect as well and i almost like him as much as barkley. he is better than any prospects this year and he is definitely better than landry jones.

Date: May 04, 2011 01:26PM

Well, Landry Jones is projected as a top 5 pick. I believe that would mean people differ on your opinion.

---------------------

Date: May 04, 2011 01:28PM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: May 04, 2011 02:07PM

Miami has $116M in committed salaries for 2011. This doesn't include any of our own unsigned free agents, or our draft picks. Among our own players that we could re-sign:

Lex Hilliard
Kory Sheets
Nate Garner
Pat Mcquistan
Lydon Murtha
Quentin Moses
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Joey Haynos
Tony McDaniel
Patrick Cobbs
Tyler Thigpen

Some of those guys are exclusive rights free agents, some are likely to be restricted free agents, and some will be unrestricted. But, any of them require an additional financial commitment above the $116M.

The owners have proposed a salary cap of $114M. There is no chance the players would accept this, as it is $9M less than the 2009 salary cap. The players have proposed a cap of $130M. It's expected to land around $125M.

The Fins will not have a lot of cap room to maneuver. We are at $116M now, plus signing our draft picks and signing our own free agents. That probably leaves us room for one good free agent signing, or maybe a couple of mid tier guys. Cutting Marshall would free up another $6.5M.

Date: May 04, 2011 02:47PM

A&O

that si mock draft you are referencing has miami drafting a DT in the first round so i have to say it is less than reliable. most actual draft experts dont have landry rated as highly as barkley from what i have seen. also some have landry below nick foles of arizona. i highly doubt landry will be a top 5 pick but im sure he will be a first rounder. stats dont impress me that much considering that stats are not a great indicator of how qbs will translate to the nfl.

anyways, i agree that I just want a top QB but I just dont like landry as much as the others.

Date: May 04, 2011 03:02PM

good post dolfanmark. i didnt know all that about the new cap and our current player salary. looks like we will be able to sign a RB and QB and not much else. the only way we can sign a top G will be if we can convince a QB to sign for very cheap. i think this unlikely since it will be a competitive market to get a good vet QB. no money available for a position like S which is not a true need at this point. Marshall had better show his worth soon cuz he will be eating up our available cap for the next few years.

since that is the case, i hope john jerry gets it together cuz we will need a strong line this season to be an effective offense.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.