HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Hyde's players to watch
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Hyde's players to watch
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:28PM

1. Jerrel Jernigan – WR – Troy

Jernigan’s a player of real interest for me and I think he’ll be of interest to the Dolphins. Why? Well he’s versatile first of all. The Troy coaches did everything possible to get him the ball as often as possible and in as many different ways as possible; screens, Wildcat QB, running the ball and as a conventional WR. He scored five different ways in 2010; throwing, rushing, receiving, kick and punt returns. This, ladies and gentlemen is a weapon. An ankle injury forced him to sit out the Senior Bowl which is a real shame but he’ll have the spotlight on him in Indianapolis, no more so than at the weigh in. A reported 5’9,186lbs isn’t the worst numbers in the world but if he comes in smaller than that he’s going to struggle. Jernigan might be the closest thing to DeSean Jackson in the draft and he continually flashes an elite burst into and out of his cuts as well as terrific acceleration from a standing start. He will press the cushion immediately and will be a consistent threat deep down the field on every play not only on go routes but also when he catches it underneath and turns up field. Not afraid of physical contact, Jernigan figures to come off the board at the moment in the 2nd to 3rd round area, but a good weigh in and a forty time that comes in under the 4.3 as has been predicted in some quarters could push him further up the board. Given his skill set he would seem an ideal possibility to add explosion and speed to the Dolphins offense and return game. He’s going to have to overcome the ‘small school’ knock but he has terrific upside and flashes serious big play potential.

Overall: 3rd round
Dolphins: Very strong possibility.

2. Dion Lewis – TB – Pittsburgh.

This to me is a back going somewhat under the radar. Like Jernigan before him he’s perhaps not blessed with the elite measurables in terms of a size but as a freshman in 2009 it was hard to argue that you weren’t looking at a future 1st round pick. Injuries and some inconsistency plagued his 2010 campaign, but to me Lewis has the potential to be a factor back at the next level in the right offense. Again, a lot will depend on the initial weigh in; he’s listed at 5’8, 198lbs in the Pitt media guide and if that plays out or indeed he comes in smaller and lighter than that then you may have to reconsider.

However he’s a very patient runner who possesses the sort of elite vision that I praise Mark Ingram for having. He’ll cut and burst to daylight and his 1,799 yards as a freshman were second only in school history behind Heisman winner Tony Dorsett. He’s elusive, has that low centre of gravity which allows him to disappear behind blockers and then slide in and out of traffic and get up field, making him extremely dangerous.

He can juke players out of their jocks in the open field without breaking stride or losing speed and runs consistently to daylight. He has good hands but is a poor blocker and that will need work. As a pure runner he’s going to remind you a lot of Ray Rice of Baltimore. His forty time will be interesting in terms of how that translates to the field but if he’s on the board in that 4th round area then the Dolphins would be foolish not to try and land one of my super sleepers of this draft.

Overall: 4th/5th round
Dolphins: Will have interest.

3. Niles Paul – WR – Nebraska

Paul is one of my favourite receivers in the draft. In fact Chris and I have been fans going back three seasons. He’s the sort of good college receiver that flies under the radar during his career and then becomes a star in the NFL and everyone says ‘where did he come from?’. At 6’0, 225lbs he’s a big man but he flashes decent open field speed. Interestingly he had the smallest hands at the Senior Bowl – just 8 and 5’8ths – but he reminds me a lot of a bigger, quicker O.J. McDuffie and not just because he wears No. 24 as O.J. did at Penn State. Some people have also likened him to Anquan Boldin or Vincent Jackson which aren’t bad comparisons either.

He has return ability, has improved his game year on year which I love and has becomes a stronger blocker and a more refined route runner. He will get off the line of scrimmage quickly and has the hands and the bulk to get off press coverage. He could still do with some work on his feet – he tends to over step in and out of transition – and like so many players that Miami will be keen on he’s going to have to impress in the 40.

But he can make YAC down the field and does a terrific job of using that great frame to box out corners and will go up and get the ball. He’s had some drops at Nebraska in the past which will need ironing out, however when he was away from that run first attack in Mobile he never let the ball touch the floor once.

There will also be some off field questions to be answered from Jeff Ireland and the staff; Niles has had two alcohol-related citations since 2009 and a foot injury which forced him to miss two games in 2010. But I think he could be a really good player if all the chips fall into place.

Overall: 3rd/4th round.
Dolphins: Will have interest.

4. Roy Helu Jr. – TB – Nebraska

The Dolphins need a running back and one that gets absolutely no love whatsoever on a national stage is Roy Helu Jr. Yet when you look at what he brings to the table you’re left scratching your head as to why. Take a look at the tale of the tape: he has the size – 5’11, 216 – speed, acceleration and power to be a lead back at the next level.

He had a big 2009 season but with the rise of Taylor Martinez and the change of direction of the Cornhusker offense he saw his number of carries reduced. However a 28 carry, 307 yard day against Missouri underlined his talent and he finished the year with the most 50+ yard plays in the FBS with 7. Hello? Is that chunk yards I hear you say?

Helu Jr. has a big butt and powerful legs and will run with power but also shows decent feet into the hole, the ability to be decisive – see it, hit it. He runs with great patience and with good pad level. His speed and burst were evident for all to see at the Senior Bowl practices and he might be the best all round back in the draft when you consider how well he blocks and how soft his hands are.

Remember what Jeff Ireland said about looking for an all round back to come in and contribute early? Helu Jr. fits that bill pretty well. He’ll have to answer some questions about playing through pain at the Combine but he’s a great kid and he’s going to play on Sundays.

Overall: 2nd/3rd round
Dolphins: Distinct possibility.

5. Bilal Powell – TB – Louisville

Staying with running backs, Louisville’s Bilal Powell is another guy who’s caught my eye over the past two seasons. He took over the starting job full time in 2010 and really showed up for the Cardinal all year long, finishing with 1,405 yards during the campaign and, like Helu Jr., he possesses the total package. He’s a little upright as a runner and if you watch a lot of him on tape he tends to run with a slightly awkward gait which leads to him stumbling at times as if someone’s tapped his ankles, but he attacks the hole, is a straight ahead, downhill back with a terrific burst and the ability to make himself small and narrow when running between tackles.

He has some hip wiggle as well and as a receiver he’s a soft hands catcher who can turn and get downfield. He also looks good as a blocker either in the backfield or at the second level on receiver screens. Powell also looks after the ball really well, carrying it the way Tiki Barber did in his final couple of seasons, tucking the point into middle of his arm and holding the ball tightly at the opposite point, treating the pigskin as his best friend.

He was impressive in Mobile and if you thought Marshawn Lynch’s playoff run against the Saints was something else then you should see what Powell did on an 85 yard touchdown against Cincinnati last year. Special. This is a kid at 5’10, 204 who you’d like to see add some weight – he’s quite thin in the upper half of his body – and it will be interesting to see what he lifts in Indianapolis. But he’s going to be on Miami’s radar.

Overall: 3rd round
Dolphins: Distinct possibility.

6. Virgil Green – TE – Nevada

Virgil’s a kid we all like at TE and he’s got us a little bit excited ahead of the Combine because it’s rumoured he’s going to put on something of a show. According to reports he’s been training hard down in Florida and is looking to build on his solid week at the Shrine Game where Chris saw him first hand. He has his weight up around 252lbs and it’s rumoured that he’s running low 4.5-second 40s and he’s expecting to leap somewhere in excess of 40 inches in the vertical which would put him in Vernon Davis territory. We shall see.

At 6’5 he’s a threat for anyone down the field and he shows nice quickness and good hands on film. He’s going to go to the next level and really consistently win one on one matchups with most linebackers and there’s not many tight ends coming out that you can say that about. There are question marks around his blocking but I think he’s a better blocker than he’s given credit for. He drops his hips well into contact, he can get out to the 2nd level and lock and move his man and he shows decent technique. He’s going to struggle initially with the elite rush ends at the pro level but very few tight ends can come in and block a Cameron Wake straight off.

There’s no drill that won’t suit him in Indianapolis and I think his stock will rise after his Combine showing. If you can add a seam threat that runs a low 4.5 alongside the all round game of Anthony Fasano then I think Miami will really be set at that spot. I would be surprised if the Dolphins aren’t all over Green come draft time.

Overall: 4th round
Dolphins: Absolutely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hyde's players to watch
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:38PM

not hyde but his guest bloggers

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.