HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Trent Dilfer digs Cam Newton.......
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trent Dilfer digs Cam Newton.......
Date: February 10, 2011 01:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trent Dilfer digs Cam Newton.......
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:47PM

Workouts are one thing. No doubt, he will continue to "wow" people during his workouts because of his athletic ability. But, hopefully, Ireland is smart enough to not fall into that trap. The biggest knocks on Newton are that he does not read defenses (if his primary target is not open, he tucks and runs), he can't anticipate throws (meaning that he does not throw the ball until the receiver makes his break), and he has very little game experience. He can look great in every workout, but guys who can't read defenses and anticipate throws are normally failures at the NFL level.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:00PM

BS! This guy has SUPERSTAR written ALL-OVER him!

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:18PM

wouldn't be bummed if we took him at 15.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 06:38PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BS! This guy has SUPERSTAR written ALL-OVER him!

Thank you.. You might not know it yet, but that comment is going to come back in the near future, and not only will you be very dissapointed in your Im sorry to come off mean, but seriously lack of scouting ability???? To judge Newton, as a effective starting QB in a league, where being able to dissect a teams defensive scheme, and knowing when, and how to throw the ball to the open wr is critical, which is why SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many qb's like Newton will never flourish in the currant NFL scheme.

Anways, I will be serving you so much crow, oh god I cant wait!!!! You perfere Cajun? Hot-sauce? BBQ???? Hickory smoked?? Lemon Pepper??

Im taking orders!!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 06:57PM

Date: February 11, 2011 02:13AM

I'm not saying that Cam Newton is going to fail, but I don't remember Trent Dilfer being famous for anything except as the # 1 example of the NFL being a team sport. His opinion and $0.95 might get buy a cup of Joe.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 11, 2011 02:20AM

Cam Newton's family obviously needs the money from his 1st contract, and I think after he gets paid his football career will be over. I see Jamarcus Russell all over again when I watch Cam Newton. I know Newton is slimmer, and more mobile however he will not make it as a pro QB. Their is no way we are taking Newton anyway to many other holes to fill. If we are going to take a QB then Ryan Mallet or Jake Locker are clearly in my mind head and shoulders above Newton. Newton will be the biggest bust in the draft this year.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 03:17AM

Sorry MIA, it will be you who stuffs his face with Crow....yes, I believe in Cam Newton. We currently have a QB who doesnt read defense's well either at this point that is something that evolves with playing time and experience. Only differences is our QB dumps the ball off, throws an interception or throws into the stands... I will take the 5 yard run everyday of the week and ten times on sunday. If a defense is afraid the QB could run well, like VIck, safeties or LB's are used as a spy alot or at the very least take a defensive player or two out of the coverage scheme. Thus limiting the defense's double coveraging ability, etc... If Henne could pick up five yards evertyime he doesnt read the defense well, we would probably have gone to AFC Championship game at the least...lol

Date: February 11, 2011 03:36AM

We have two Camps here. 1 believes Cam will be the 2nd coming of Demarcus Russell. Others think he is Vince Young with a work ethic.

Who is to say who is correct? He has the Physical abilities for sure. I say if he falls to 15 by some miricle he is worth the gamble. But not worth a move up. However, If mallet or Locker go past 10 Irelend has to seriously consider jumping up to grab them like the Jets did with Sanchez.

Date: February 11, 2011 03:39AM

Crowder you like others drank the Koolaid because Newton will be a failure in the Pro's. Run 1st QB's never make in this league now, and neither will Newton.

Date: February 11, 2011 03:49AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Crowder you like others drank the Koolaid because
> Newton will be a failure in the Pro's. Run 1st
> QB's never make in this league now, and neither
> will Newton.

Hey you never know, Thats what they said about Michael Vick. Can Cam throw accuratly? Vick was a freak of nature throwing from his knees and completing passes. How is Cams arm?

Date: February 11, 2011 04:03AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 04:05AM

No one can say what Newton will be. I think he is the real deal. Those who say he is a tuck and run qb are liars. Those who say he could not read college defenses are liars. Dislike the guy if you like but stop the bs. He proved he could handle all aspect of the college game. The guy is light years ahead of Tebow and that makes me confident in his skills.

The only stop sign is his family. If he has to have an entourage accompany him everywhere he goes I would step back. If he comes as his own man ready to accept challenges and resposibilities I would grab him in a heartbeat.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 11, 2011 05:36AM

People said the same thing about Josh Freeman, and he did pretty well for Tampa last year.

Date: February 11, 2011 06:17AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
However, If mallet or Locker go past
> 10 Irelend has to seriously consider jumping up to
> grab them like the Jets did with Sanchez.

I believe Newton goes ahead of Locker and Mallet and at this point Gabbert will be the only QB drafted ahead of him. That is where I would place my Markers. As soon as Blaine Gabbert gets drafted,if we want Newton we need to go after him. If there is no trade up and Arizona doesnt take Gabbert, then a good chance Newton will fall to the teens or farther... IF Gabbert goes in the first five picks, we would have to trade up to get Newton most likely...

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 06:40AM

I'm afraid of people named Cam having anything to do with this team

Date: February 11, 2011 06:46AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I'm afraid of people named Cam having anything to
> do with this team

Cam Wake?

Date: February 11, 2011 06:47AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I'm afraid of people named Cam having anything to
> do with this team

LOL, you've got a good point

Date: February 11, 2011 07:02AM

I will not spend time arguing with incompetant posters Cam Newton played in a spread offense which NFL teams run a spred offense. What did Pat White play in a spread offense. That react and run the throw on the run does not or will ever work in the pro's unless you have a freak of nature like Michael Vick then maybe. So to every poster on this board Newton will go the way of most other run first QB's here to gone tomorrow. Ryan Mallett if you want a QB that is big and has a rocket arm their is your man. He reminds me of Peyton Manning more that any QB in the draft this year. Cam Newton is not, and will never be Peyton Manning. That is who I judge all other QB's against.

Date: February 11, 2011 07:12AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Cam Newton is not, and will never be Peyton
> Manning. That is who I judge all other QB's
> against.

I don't know. Of the QBs in the last 10 years, I'd argue Ben Rothlisberger was better than Peyton Manning. Just look at the winning percentage and Superbowls.

Then again, Ryan Mallett looks more like Big Ben (very tall, odd delivery) than Peyton Manning.

Date: February 11, 2011 09:36AM

Josh Freeman ran the spread at K State. A good qb can convert. Newtons a good qb.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:02AM

I am not sold on Josh Freeman, and they did not run the spread at K State each and every play. Newton is not nearly as good as Freeman, and Freeman will only be minimally good at this level. He will regress next year as I believe he gas already reached his ceiling. The Bucs will never win a title with Freeman nor will we with Henne unless he makes a dramatic improvement from last year. I don't see that happening. Ultimately it comes down to do you beleive Newton can play his style of football in the pro's. All to often we have seen QB's that came from the spread fail in the Pro's Newton will be no different. Newton really reminds me of Akili Smith more than any other player in recent memory. How long did Smith last in the Pro's not long my friends.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:08AM

and you have not seen much college qbing if you compare Newton to Smith.
I really doubt if you have seen Newton play at least 5 entire games. No way in hell can you compare Newton against Smith. You really should be quiet and see where the chips fall.

and for what its worth I think Freeman is going to have a helluva 2011 season.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:36AM

Ohhhhhhhhhh god Crowder thank you. I love you and Im going to talk sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much trash, when he turns into the next Young.

Look you made a point about Vick being able to run, and defense's have to respect that, and well besides back when Running dominated the league.

When has run first QB EVER won the SB????????????????

So obviously somthing isnt working, and I think that it is clear, lack of mentality.

Look this is the best way to describe guys like Newton.

When comming out of flight school pilots are catagorized into differant aircraft based on there abilities, that suit them tailored say some go to the f-14's, because of higher marks in dog-fighting.
Others would go to the f-18's because yeah they can dog-fight, but they are better bombers.

So Newton can dog-fight, but his natural skill set involves bombing run's???

Does that help? I mean Newton with enough training in theory make a decent dog-fighter, but it will take so long to fully develop that aspect of his game, that no one wants to sink in the money, and years to get him to where he might not even fully develop into.

Pat White's stats in college where solid, even his throwing, however when brought into the NFL, holly shnikes he sucked.

I think Newton will be alot like Vince Young, ALOT LIKE YOUNG, except not as mental, but will never win a sb, or break records.

So again why go out and draft the bum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 11:38AM by Mia1.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:39AM

You know what I would rather have Newton as TE.

Seriosly He could be a dominate TE, if he can catch!!!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 12, 2011 04:47AM

Mike Mayock (who I trust more than others) said he wouldnt even watch Newton's "workout".

Mayock said of course Newton would look awesome, in San Diego (nice weather), shorts, no defense, over the top throwing motion. Mayock said he didnt even need to go to know that Newton would have a great workout. He said he went to Jamarcus Russell's workout and it was the greatest workout he had ever seen, but he also said Russell shoudnt be picked in the 1st round, and he is saying the same thing about Newton. Said he is not sold at all on Newton.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 12, 2011 05:08AM

Alright finally some sanity by a sports writer. Newton will let the money and stardom go to his head. He will be an outcat in this league by his 3rd or 4th year. I did watch many of his games, and I watched him physically dominate his opponents. He won't be able to do that in the Pro's. One other point Newton was kicked out of Florida because he was DUMB. I don't care how talented you are you need smarts to play QB in the pros. Newton is as dumb as a brick, and if you can't read defense at the next level you are doomed for failure. Hell I think he can barely read period much less defenses, and I doubt he even went to class at Auburn much less studied for a test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 06:25AM by Finshady.

Date: February 12, 2011 05:09AM

montequi Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm afraid of people named Cam having anything
> to
> > do with this team
>
> Cam Wake?

that's also a good point. but I think his real name is Derek!

Date: February 12, 2011 05:11AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Mike Mayock (who I trust more than others) said he
> wouldnt even watch Newton's "workout".
>
> Mayock said of course Newton would look awesome,
> in San Diego (nice weather), shorts, no defense,
> over the top throwing motion. Mayock said he didnt
> even need to go to know that Newton would have a
> great workout. He said he went to Jamarcus
> Russell's workout and it was the greatest workout
> he had ever seen, but he also said Russell shoudnt
> be picked in the 1st round, and he is saying the
> same thing about Newton. Said he is not sold at
> all on Newton.

source? not that I am doubting you, I'd just like to read it

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.