Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ray Lucas battles addiction to painkillers, gives account via Facebook
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ray Lucas battles addiction to painkillers, gives account via Facebook
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 09, 2011 10:33AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ray Lucas battles addiction to painkillers, gives account via Facebook
Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 09, 2011 11:18AM

Stories like this make me afraid to even take more than one aspirin a day. I wasn't too happy with him as a QB but best wishes to Ray.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:56AM

Kinda sad, he is getting more publicity talking about how he abused pain killers, instead of playing football, maybe if he wasnt a horrible player then none of that would have happend?

Oh well Good luck staying straight Ray, even though I could give a poopies about Ray, but I guess this time of year news is rather slow.

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:45AM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kinda sad, he is getting more publicity talking
> about how he abused pain killers, instead of
> playing football, maybe if he wasnt a horrible
> player then none of that would have happend?

I seriously doubt how good or bad he was at football had anything to do with his drug addiction. Brett Favre won three straight NFL MVP awards in the '90s, and during that time had to fight off a Vicodin addiction.

Date: February 10, 2011 07:40AM

Either way only care enough to share that I don't care about the bum. lol Now if that was Marino, or Griese, or Pennington, then I would care, they did win stuff with this team!!

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: February 10, 2011 07:51AM

Last week, I heard Lucas on with the Big O. He described how, when he was with the Ravens,he sneezed, and he became paralized. He was put in an ambulance, and recovered use of his limbs on route to the hospital. Afraid of being cut, he made the ambulance stop, and took a taxi back to practice. the man had such a bad neck, that he needed replacement discs from a cadaver. Since his NFL insurance had expired when he found out how bad it was, the doctors would not operate. So they gave him pain killers to make him comfortable (while he waited to basically become paralized). If he didn't find this PAST company willing to help, he'd be dead probably (as he was contemplating suicide instead of being a burden to his family). He didn't go out to get hooked on pills, and it really doesn't matter how poor a QB he was for us, I have compassion for his situation. He was a fool to keep playing after his neck got so bad, but maybe the doctors weren't truthful to him.
Either way, I wish him well- as a man, not for him being a Dolphins QB.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:09AM

it's a tough situtaiton, sure. although he made the choice to sacrifice his body for a few years of a very high paying job; that choice is now coming back to haunt him. The NFL should cover folks like these, though...

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:44AM

I'm glad the comments so far about this topic on this board have been humane. A brief review of some of the comments people posted on the ESPN story are so atrocious and heartless. After reading some of the details BobT posted about Lucas' situation you can't help but feel for the guy. I really hope the guy gets well.

Date: February 10, 2011 10:32AM

Yeah I had no idea he was injured that severely. Of course, ANY player in the NFL retires from the game to a life that includes aches and pains, but to be that severely debilitated makes me wish Lucas had retired as a Dolphin after all, before getting hurt that badly.

Date: February 11, 2011 04:56AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Either way only care enough to share that I don't
> care about the bum. lol Now if that was Marino, or
> Griese, or Pennington, then I would care, they did
> win stuff with this team!!

I lost every bit of respect, what little I had, for you. You're a moron. His battle with addiction has nothing to do with how good he was at football you tool. He's got a problem and you either care for the man's struggles or you don't, and if you don't, you don't call him a bum for it. Jesus you're immature.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 11, 2011 05:51AM

BobT Wrote:
> Last week, I heard Lucas on with the Big O. He
> described how, when he was with the Ravens,he
> sneezed, and he became paralized. He was put in an
> ambulance, and recovered use of his limbs on route
> to the hospital. Afraid of being cut, he made the
> ambulance stop, and took a taxi back to practice.
> the man had such a bad neck, that he needed
> replacement discs from a cadaver. Since his NFL
> insurance had expired when he found out how bad it
> was, the doctors would not operate. So they gave
> him pain killers to make him comfortable (while he
> waited to basically become paralized). If he
> didn't find this PAST company willing to help,
> he'd be dead probably (as he was contemplating
> suicide instead of being a burden to his family).
> He didn't go out to get hooked on pills, and it
> really doesn't matter how poor a QB he was for us,
> I have compassion for his situation. He was a fool
> to keep playing after his neck got so bad, but
> maybe the doctors weren't truthful to him.
> Either way, I wish him well- as a man, not for him
> being a Dolphins QB.

Holy crap, that's bad. I can't imagine living like that. I wonder if his decision continue to play was because of this love for the game or because he had nothing to fall back on. A lot of guys come into the NFL, can't manage money, and have no real skills outside of football. It's really sad. I mean, look at Bernie Kosar. This guy has a degree in finance and economics, and he's STILL broke!

Date: February 11, 2011 06:12AM

I remember, decades ago, reading an interview with legendary center for the Raiders, Jim Otto. He was one of the few players for the Raiders I recall having complete respect for (quite an accomplishment because I absolutely hated the Raiders in those days). He also stood out whenever you watched him because his number was double zero.

Jim spoke about how he'd often injure his knees, team doctors would tell him he needed to sit out games, he refused. Just taped up the knee and got back out there. As a CENTER, one of the most demanding positions on the knees. The guy played over 300 straight games, and has had dozens upon dozens of surgeries. I just looked up his bio and saw he even had his leg amputated a couple years ago--this is no doubt a result of him playing injured.

There are too many stories of this in the NFL, and I'm sad to hear that Ray Lucas is also going through it.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:49AM

Im imature? Lol why waist my energy "feeling" for a once rich athlete, that took a chance, and it didnt work out.

I am friends with, and talk to alot when I go to the brass ring pub in Kearnysville wv, with James Jett, ex raider!!! Who well we all know, anyways.

I watched my mom, who had her lower back fused, had breast cancer ten years ago, at the same time diaganosed with Osteoprosis, and has been fighting a f.cking sinus infection for over a year!!!!!! who during that time got so anemic, from lack of reb blood cells, overproduction of white blood cells, go weekly for blood transfusions, who has been put on social security, at 49, which is I mean yeah, I could give a .ck about Ray Lucas.

My step father who is 49 now just got put on Social Security, after being on worker comp for the past 5 years, because of a back injury suffered building countertops, and when they put in a pain pump in his back, he developed a horrible staff infection, mersa I think, and has been battling that crap, when you get that s.it you cant get jobs, because not only all the antibiotics, both oral, and I.V, he has been prescribed heavy narcotics, for the pain of the bad back.

He just got put on social security, ironic I know both at 49.

Now I don't know what issues you guys have, or people you know have, but after living with that, and having to help, and deal with that with a wife, and 4 kids, I could give a flying monkey's a.. about Ray Lucas.

Or anything you want to say Odenn, you don't know me, or what I have seen, been through.

At least he got to live his dream, and got paid awsome money.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:54AM

Why dont you go say your grief for Justin Anderson's mom who was addicted to pain killers, and to the point where she got arrested for steeling money from her sister's business to buy the pain pills, and spent 2 years in a regional womans jail in Cairo GA, who is a wonderfull person, and mother of my best friend.

Again man kick rocks with Ray Lucas, like he touched you in a holy manner, or influenced you with his awsome abilities as a person, or athlete.

Ray It sucks man I hope you get better, and become a awsome human. There is that good enough Odenn?

Date: February 11, 2011 01:28PM

Sorry Mia1, you're on my ignore list. You're immature and you run your mouth off at the worst times on the most sensitive of subjects. First you run your mouth off about Dan Marino's autistic kid, then you talk shit about a man struggling with something that many, many people identify and sympathize with. I understand now why you've been banned off this board before. Nice to have known you, won't be reading any more of your ignorant ranting anymore. Peace.

Date: February 11, 2011 02:32PM

Good Im glad, you should have had that feature running long ago Odenn.

Don't respond to my post, if all you can do is say negative things.

Dont make is personal, and well you will be happier Odenn.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 11, 2011 08:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.