Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What are Jets fans saying about Pennington now?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What are Jets fans saying about Pennington now?
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 31, 2008 08:09AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 31, 2008 08:27AM

PF2 wrote: None of that changes the fact that there are certain things we can't do on offense because of Pennington's lack of arm strength, and because of that there is no reason we shouldn't be looking to upgrade the QB position if the opportunity is there.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You want to "upgrade" the player who is being talk about all over the league as a MVP candidate? good luck.

The only way Henne gets on the field now is if Penni gets hurt. That weak armed QB just threw for 3,653 yards, 19 TD's and 7 ints. No Miami QB has come close to that since Marino.

How about we upgrade the WR position? CP may have thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25 TD's if he had a true number one WR.

This "weak arm" argument doesn't hold much water any more. Maybe if he was getting picked left and right but that isn't the case.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 31, 2008 09:08AM

I think that brees, cutler, mcnabb have very strong arms. Two of these three did not make the playoffs and the other needed a mirical to get in. Oh, lets not forget the one of the biggest arms in the league, brett favre, how did his team do? I will take great discision making over a huge arm, what about russell who has maybe the biggest arm in the league, how are his numbers? Big arms only matters if you are down big and need to go down field to come back. Chad does not give us that great comeback ability but in theory if you play smart and protect to football coupled with playing solid defense you should be in every game.

In my book I want to see chad start until our team starts taking steps back and it looks like we cant get to the next level with chad, wheather thats two three or even four years. Henne just will have to wait and continue to learn. It will be a problem when contract time comes for henne but i think we play it by ear. The bottom line is pennington is our man next year- I dont want their to be an open competition. Then as I said we play it by ear.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 31, 2008 09:23AM

First, your "strong arm" has to be accurate. Darryl Lamonica was known as the "Mad Bomber" but he was accurate as hell.

A quarterback with not-so-strong of an arm can be great if he is accurate because, with the exception of limited situations, a strong arm is only indispensable in situations wherein the yardage to make first down is so great that the odds of acheiving that first down are low even with a quarterback with a strong arm.

Bob Griese had an arm that would not be classified as strong or weak but medium, but his intelligence and his capabilities as a field general made him the most valuable quarterback of his time (post-Unitas and Starr and pre-Marino and Elway).

As far as Henne is concerned, I was greatly impressed with his pre-season.

However, I was not impressed with his sulking on draft day in not being picked earlier.

Date: December 31, 2008 11:17AM

Date: December 31, 2008 11:24AM

Date: December 31, 2008 11:26AM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: December 31, 2008 11:44AM

Chad has been fantastic this year. Hell yes I would want him to be our answer for several years. Don't give me the crap about the weak arm. He may not have a rocket, but as Henning pointed out in one interview, "Chad can make all the throws." I am sure his shoulder problems limited him quite a bit in the past, but his shoulder is healthy now. Chad said he trained harder this year than he had at any other time and specifically worked on increasing his arm strength. I have watched the guy all year and see a quality arm. More importantly he has incredible placement on his passes. Henning said his placement and accuracy are better than any he has ever seen. The guy won comeback player of the year and should be MVP. You would be a fool not to want him to come back. With that having been said, if Henne wins the job anytime soon then watch out because he will have to be awesome to do it.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 31, 2008 12:45PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> It happens. Sort of reminded me of Thruman
> Thomas' reaction to falling into the second
> round.
>
> I hope Henne has a similar HOF career.

RESPONSE: I do too.

...............errr, that is, provided he stays a Dolphin.

Date: December 31, 2008 01:33PM

PF2
Once again, you are trying to manufacture a problem where there is none. IF we have a great team....IF Henne is ready..IF Henne is on his way to being great...iF we can upgrade...bla, bla, bla....

He can win as long as he has great talent around him????????

What does he have to do for you to get off his back? Break Marino's yardage record? You can live with him? What a joke. He got us this far WITHOUT great talent around him. Sure he has Ricky & Ronnie but neither one had a great year and our WR's sure as heck aren't great by any stretch of the imagination.

It is so easy to say we should upgrade but not so easy to do. We have been trying for 10 years and finally did it.

You say CP is good but not great??????. He is the SECOND highest rated QB in the LEAGUE. Do you really think Henne can improve upon that? and how is he going to prove he is ready? Have a great preseason? So then we can bench the league MVP and comeback player of the year for a player that may or may not be good because he had another "great" preseason? Your whole argument is ridiculous and like I said before...the weak arm theory holds no water any more. I think you're the one that missed the point.

CP will only be better next year and we have to ride him until it's time for Henne to step in...Now is not the time....next year is not the time.

Remember how Gannon sucked until he got in the right system with Oakland? He then went on to league MVP and perennial Pro Bowler in his ELEVENTH season. That's kind of the situation we may be in now with Pennington....You want to throw that away because YOU say his arm is too weak?

He may not be Marino with a cannon for an arm but he is a more efficient version of Griese. I'll take that any day....not just "live with it".

.....................................................................................

Date: December 31, 2008 10:22PM

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: January 01, 2009 02:56AM

From what i heard, Favre was pushed aside in GB, which at the time wanted to get younger at the QB position, and fans were restless over aaron rodgers about whether or not he can produce. Brett had a monster year in 07, i think the 2nd or 3rd best of his career. that being said, i think it was a dumb ass move by GB in forcing him out, making him walk. ive said this a hundred times, but i would be a brett favre fan had he not get traded to a division rival, let alone the stinkin jets.

i was also at the game last week up in the Meadowlands, and it was a thing of beauty watching favre throw those picks... i called each one out, and the idiotic play calling was really screwing with the jets fans heads. i heard the pennington faithful say they never should have let him go, but thats complete bs. Chad had been chewed up and spit out by the time he was done up there in ny, criticizing his arm strength mostly. Man-gina was looking for a quick fix in 08, acquiring stat-heavy players hoping for the same results, spending a boatload in the process and sealing his shipment out of new york.

One thing is certain, Chad couldnt be happier. on a side note, i dont think parcells will walk, the ross guy would have be pulling a real 'munson' such as to screw with a good thing. the football buzz is back here in south florida, worst to first in only a year.

Playoffs Baby!!!

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 01, 2009 03:47AM

Dude, how many QBs currently playing in the NFL have won Superbowls? Heck, Marino didn't win one either. Does that mean he wasn't capable of doing it? I takes more than ONE man to make it to and win a Superbowl!

Date: January 01, 2009 09:26AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2009 09:44AM

You'd have to be either blind, completely knowledgeable about the game, or a Jets fan to be in denial about CP value to this team. He is clearly better than nearly all starting QBs in the NFL, save for the Manning bros., Rivers, and Brees.

Bench CP for Henne next year? What is that a joke? CP has earned to right to go into next season as the unqualified starting QB. If he gets injured, or by some bizzare twist of fate turns into the next Brett Farve circa NY Jest, then maybe Henne is an option. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Date: January 01, 2009 10:13AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 01, 2009 10:56AM

I would love Pennington to have a better arm in concert with what he already has, and then add to the mix not being injured. He would be the best quarterback in the league if all of that was true.

However he does not have that arm and he has been injured far too many times in the past, a trend I really hope he does not continue.

Pennington is playing really well for us this season. However, in 2009 with more explosiveness and power from the offense combined with an improved defense overall the sky is the limit for him...provided he does not get injured again and those improvments actually happen.

That only means that the team will benefit...Henne and/or Beck should have to endure at least one more season on the bench regardless of what they do. I just don't see either one of them playing in the off season up to the level Pennington has this season.

That said, I do agree that "IF" either one of them does manage to outplay Pennington in the off season that they should be given the chance to start...just don't think it'll happen.

Maybe in 2010 they'll get a chance.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 02, 2009 05:19AM

Statistically, there is no question that Pennington was a top-5 QB this year. And look at the way he has changed the attitude of the team and lifted the players around him.

He really has had an MVP type performance this year, and that's pretty freaking noteworthy. It's his job to lose in 2009.

That said, 2008 ain't over yet, guys. smiling smiley

Date: January 02, 2009 07:41AM

Date: January 02, 2009 07:53AM

Date: January 02, 2009 08:47AM

Date: January 02, 2009 08:53AM

Date: January 02, 2009 12:08PM

Date: January 03, 2009 07:20AM

I know some jets "fans" and their wining about letting chad go and then they want farve gone and cower as their new head coach and on top of it all they think the refs cheated them.What idiotsspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: RayRay ()
Date: January 03, 2009 11:04AM

I think something to watch for tomorrow is if you're able to get some big pass plays. That is our D's biggest weakness with our injured secondary. Pennington is able to hit WRs deep even without the greatest arm strength because his timing is freaking impeccable and he'll get rid of the ball before the WR even makes his move.

I'm skeptical that he will, but I'm really overconfident heading into the game. Ultimately as good as Pennington is his strengths don't scare me given our D.

Date: January 03, 2009 11:11AM

RayRay,

Thanks for the scouting report.

Go Phins!

Posted by: RayRay ()
Date: January 03, 2009 11:28AM

ghotirule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RayRay,
>
> Thanks for the scouting report.
>
> Go Phins!

You're welcome. I find it rather shocking that teams continue to try and play smashmouth football with us. If I'm attacking the Ravens D I'm putting at least 3 wide outs on the field every play, and whoever Frank Walker/Corey Ivy/Evan Oglesby are covering will get the ball thrown their way.

The no huddle offense is the way to go. It doesn't give Ryan the opportunity to make the necessary personnel substitutions for his crazy formations. Of course not every QB can run the no huddle like Manning.

I expect to see a lot of trick plays and no huddle from yall tomorrow.

Date: January 03, 2009 03:35PM

Yeah...let's do that.

Posted by: ladydolfan ()
Date: January 03, 2009 05:24PM

chadpennington4ever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know some jets "fans" and their wining about
> letting chad go and then they want farve gone and
> cower as their new head coach and on top of it all
> they think the refs cheated them.What idiotsspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hold up! The Jets fans are saying the refs cheated THEM?! Oh, puh-leeze! I remember watching the game and getting extremely tired of all the penalties called against the Dolphins. A couple of them were, in my opinion, bad calls...and the Jets fans are saying THEY were unfairly treated? What a joke!eye rolling smiley

Date: January 03, 2009 05:36PM

Jets fans are jokes...what a bunch of pansies....

Brett should have been benched....waahhhh!

They cheated....wahhhh!!!!!

They used the wildcat cause they couldn't beat us straight up...waahhh!

We miss Chad....waaaaaaaahhhh!

It was too warm on Sunday...waaaaahhhh!

I got mugged in the parking lot...waaahhhhh!

Ronnie Brown knocked me down...waaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.