HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Biggest Questions remaining
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Biggest Questions remaining
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 12:47PM

So post draft, what do you see as the biggest holes or questions remaining on the roster? Leave QB out of it please, we obviously have a plan with Tannyhill.

For me, its WR on offense and S on defense.

Also, has our defensive scheme next season been confirmed or are we still going with the 3-4, 4-3 hybrid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Biggest Questions remaining
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 29, 2012 01:05PM

If we switch to a full-time 4-3, then MLB is a huge need.

We're going to need help at OLB/DE regardless after losing Langford and Merling.

Safety is a huge question mark now. We have a bunch of guys on our roster that play it, but not sure how well.

Philbin's scheme may work fine with our existing WR corp. Coach will know best here.

Nice seeing us pick up Miller. RB isn't a big need anymore.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2012 01:18PM

We need a ballhawking FS and a pulling Guard.

I also have questions on who will step up as the real WR's in this offense.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 01:38PM

other than qb and RT, we still need all the same stuff. WR especially, pulling guard, safety, more pass rush. I really wish instead of vernon and that TE we had moved up and taken a higher ranked pass rusher or WR. we could've had reuben randell. I don't feel we really solved either of those needs. vernon is as big a project as tannehill.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: April 29, 2012 01:56PM

I'm going to trust what Philbin wants offensively, and so far it seems that he wants bulky guys who can catch whether it be TE or WR, and he's getting them. I'm not going to worry about WR or Marshall's exit because I think JP knows what direction he's taking for his WCO.

Our secondary seemed pretty weak to me last year, and none of that was addressed in the draft. That's one area that still concerns me, especially with Brady in this division. I don't believe that Tyrell Johnson is any better than Bell even though Bell was a 6th rounder & Johnson was a 2nd. Johnson has been criticized by many for non production, and Bell is still a FA so we'll see what happens I guess.

I'm not sure about the defensive scheme being confirmed or not, but In my personal opinion, the more flexible you can be the better. After all, not every opponent this team will face has the same offensive scheme as each other. I thought G would be looked at, but honestly I think our biggest concern on defense is still in the secondary.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:15PM

Obviously, we need to establish a starting lineup on both sides of the ball.

We need to adjust to the schemactic changes in all phases.

Our defensive front will continue to be multiple (4/3 & 3/4). Our defensive coverage will be more Cover 4 - Left safety/ Right safety instead of our previous free / strong.

Offensive line blocking schemes will certainly have some contrasts from previous seasons with a more rapid fire offense.

Nailing down the starting lineups and getting consistant communication is key.

Date: April 29, 2012 02:23PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> other than qb and RT, we still need all the same
> stuff. WR especially, pulling guard, safety, more
> pass rush. I really wish instead of vernon and
> that TE we had moved up and taken a higher ranked
> pass rusher or WR. we could've had reuben randell.
> I don't feel we really solved either of those
> needs. vernon is as big a project as tannehill.

I mostly agree with you berk. We have a lot of the same needs but we have some guys with upside for the pass rush. We have no one on the roster at G that excels at pulling and just a lot of bodies at S and WR. I feel better with our pass rush after this draft and I don't feel much better at G, S, or WR (i do like Rishard though).

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:37PM

I'd like to see more speed at WR, a saftey that is a playmaker, and another linebacker.

That's pretty much it until the games actually start in August...that said, in January things may be vastly different.

I don't think guard is a need anymore because Incognito and Jerry are good enough, and now that we have Long, Murtha and Martin we don't need anyone at tackle either.

TE, RB, QB, OL, FB, CB, K, DL, and P are areas we are set at...for the moment anyway

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 29, 2012 03:01PM

Jake Scott and the Dolphins have gone back and forth for awhile over signing here. With the draft complete, you could see something happen there. He would improve the line a great deal. The Fins gave Lydon Murtha a $2M tender, too. They clearly believe he can play. And he is pretty athletic. If Martin is penciled in at RT now, could moving Murtha to G be a possibility?

Legedu Naanee has been a starting receiver in the league. He can hold down a spot until someone else is ready. And a guy like Cunningham, who is very experienced and productive in a pro style offense at Michigan State, could be a guy who could step in right away. Roberto Wallace can't be ruled out either. He may be able to take a huge step forward in his 3rd year. Ireland mentioned never knowing when another acorn would fall, regarding WR. It is widely believed that Green Bay will release Donald Driver unless he agrees to a huge pay cut. While he is past his prime, Driver knows the system, could step in right away, and would provide veteran leadership.

Based on last week's OTA, it looks like Dansby is going to be the MLB. Burnett was at SLB, with Misi at WLB. Misi will likely get competition from Guyton and Kaddu.

I believe Jimmy Wilson will be the answer at FS for us. The kid plays fast and has a nose for the ball.

There will be another rash of veteran signings after the draft and the rookie camp, once teams figure out what they have. That will also mean some more guys get released for cap reasons. There will still be more bodies added to the questionable positions.

Date: April 29, 2012 03:13PM

We have the space, I'd like to see a wide reciever Veteran picked up in FA,
Braylon Edwards ?? drinking smiley

Posted by: rick1355 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 03:50PM

Agreed, S and WR look very weak ! I'm not overly delighted with the draft but I really like Jonathan Martin, ORT, Stanford, 6'5, 312 lbs, 5.27 40 and Lamar Miller, RB, Miami, 5'11, 212 lbs, 4.40 40 The WR's better to be able to get some separation ! I hate to see the same old thing eye rolling smiley Maybe if they are excellent rout runners the might be able to get a step up on the DB's ????

Posted by: sconigli ()
Date: April 29, 2012 03:53PM

I dont consider QB to be a hole. Moore is capable and will be much improved with a full offseason under his belt.

I would like to see a veteran OG, LB and WR. Nothing spectacular, just solid.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 04:00PM

If you look at Green bay and their success with a lot of no name WR's, we could be OK here with Fasano , Clay and Egnew also TE targets

Many WR's take 3 years to develop.

Hopefully we will see gates be the deep threat that can stretch the field and see Fuller stay healthy and Jeff, Wallace & Egnew become big red zone targets

I think Otogwe is still out there, he could help us

Date: April 29, 2012 04:31PM

sconigli Wrote:
> I dont consider QB to be a hole. Moore is capable
> and will be much improved with a full offseason
> under his belt.
>
> I would like to see a veteran OG, LB and WR.
> Nothing spectacular, just solid.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Well the coaches thought it was a hole. They drafted a QB at #8.

---------------------

Date: April 29, 2012 04:37PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> It is widely believed that Green Bay will release Donald
> Driver unless he agrees to a huge pay cut. While
> he is past his prime, Driver knows the system,
> could step in right away, and would provide
> veteran leadership.

That would be fantastic.

> Based on last week's OTA, it looks like Dansby is
> going to be the MLB. Burnett was at SLB, with Misi
> at WLB. Misi will likely get competition from
> Guyton and Kaddu.

I'm surprised by this. I figured Dansby would be MLB but I pegged Burnett as the WLB. I thought Misi and Kaddu would be better fits for SLB. Don't know much about Guyton.

> I believe Jimmy Wilson will be the answer at FS
> for us. The kid plays fast and has a nose for the
> ball.

I agree, my main concern stems from the other safety spot.

Date: April 29, 2012 04:38PM

gb doesn't have no name WRs. they have 2 of the best----nelson and jennings. pro bowl TE. solid elsewhere, driver, etc. I wish our no names were so anonymous.

Date: April 29, 2012 04:50PM

But Berk, neither were 1st round picks. Neither guy was elite coming out of college.

They developed Nelson and Jennings into what they are. Also helps when Aaron Rodgers is throwing you Passes.

---------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2012 05:04PM by Aqua&Orange.

Date: April 29, 2012 04:53PM

no but both were 2d rounders. I'd have like to see us spend more than a 6th and 7th on the position

Date: April 29, 2012 05:05PM

I can't disagree with that.

---------------------

Date: April 29, 2012 05:44PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> no but both were 2d rounders. I'd have like to see
> us spend more than a 6th and 7th on the position

This was an unusual year for WR, though. Both Cunningham and Matthews carried 3rd round grades.

Date: April 29, 2012 05:53PM

mark, what are your thoughts about vernon and egnew? In hindsight I wish we had traded one of those 3ds and a 4th for a late 2d and taken randall or another pass rusher. don't really like our 3d round picks.

Date: April 29, 2012 05:59PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> mark, what are your thoughts about vernon and
> egnew? In hindsight I wish we had traded one of
> those 3ds and a 4th for a late 2d and taken
> randall or another pass rusher. don't really like
> our 3d round picks.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I don't know about Vernon, but Egnew is going to be a playmaker for our offense.

---------------------

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 06:06PM

Berkeley, they are well known now, but weren't when coming out, and have Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers throwing to you doesn't hurt

Date: April 30, 2012 01:35AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> mark, what are your thoughts about vernon and
> egnew? In hindsight I wish we had traded one of
> those 3ds and a 4th for a late 2d and taken
> randall or another pass rusher. don't really like
> our 3d round picks.

In the highlights of Vernon that I have seen, I am impressed with how hard he seems to play. I don't watch the Hurricanes in general, though, so I don't know if he really plays that way all the time. Much like QBs, pass rushers tend to get overdrafted. When you get to the 3rd round, you have to take chances if you want a pass rusher. According to Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, Vernon's stock really rose when he visited teams late in the draft process. McShay had him as a 2nd rounder, and Kiper had him as a 3rd. By contrast, Gil Brandt had him as a free agent, Tim Ryan didn't grade him at all, and Pat Kirwan had him as a 5th or 6th.

Egnew looks like he has a chance to be a matchup nightmare, running too well to be covered by LBs and too big to be covered by DBs. It's up to the coaches to get him into situations where he can succeed.

I don't remember which network is on, but it was Trent Dilfer, after we took Lamar Miller. He talked about Mike Sherman's offense at Texas A&M, and his plans for what he's going to do in Miami. He said the offense was a lot of no-huddle, a lot of 4 WR looks, very up tempo, and their goal was 90 offensive plays per game. When Tannehill was on Gruden's QB show, he also talked about the no-huddle and the 90 plays a game thing. Dilfer says Sherman is bringing this to the NFL, and in order for it to work, you need more athletic linemen with stamina, and a lot of weapons to rotate through at RB, WR, and TE.

Date: April 30, 2012 04:22AM

Here is the background to the 90+ plays a game idea.

It came from Chad Morris the current OC at Clemson. He is an A&M grad. He taught Sherman the philosophy of the idea. Now, Chad Morris learned the idea and all of his plays from a guy named Gene Chizik. Gene Chizik just took over at Arkansas St, but for the past few years, was the OC at Auburn, where Cam Newton won a National Championship and Heisman.

Interesting circle.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.