Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Team is only as good as the front office ......
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Team is only as good as the front office ......
Posted by: rick1355 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 07:21PM

Why did the Phins pick the worst available player in the top 10 ? Are you not suppose to pick the best available player ? I'm going back to blaming the FO and not the players. I will be making an appointment to my therapist first thing in the morning ! Lets see what shenanigans rounds 2 and 3 brings ! thumbs down "Send in the clowns"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Team is only as good as the front office ......
Date: April 26, 2012 07:26PM

They finally appeased us. We all know Irlend didn't want to do it. I'm glad they felt the heat and picked the best available QB option. The kid has some skills. Give him a chance.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 07:53PM

According to an Ireland interview post draft, Ireland has been targeting Tannehill for months. He had him pegged as a first round guy since his junior year when he started playing QB. Not sure he felt the heat, maybe he just finally found a QB he believed in. I don't blame him for not believing in Flynn, Orton, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, etc.

Date: April 26, 2012 08:32PM

Whats he gonna say? Ross was sitting next to him all night glaring at him.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:00PM

Tanney is a great pick. End of story.
If he had another year of eligibility, and stayed to play played. He'd be the #1 or #2 QB coming out with Barkley. In many ways I like him over MB.
Next year it's doubtful we'll pick again inside the top 10, so the prospects of a 5 star QB are slim to none at where we'd pick, probably between 12-18.
i can argue Tanney has 5-tool talent:
1) Arm strength
2) accuracy
3) mobility
4) athleticism
5) speed
and let's throw in
6) smart/high football IQ
7) size with room to grow into

Awesome job Ireland!!!

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:31PM

Don't fool yourself. Tannehill was only picked in the first round because Ross figured out that all you have to do to sell Tickets for a couple years is draft a QB in the first round.

It doesn't mean that Tannehill is any good. But a QB like this one has a built in excuse for the next couple of years.

In four years, expect to see Tannehill as a backup on a small market, third tier team.... just like Henne.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 27, 2012 01:33AM

You guys who hate the pick are blind to football.

We needed a QB. Tannehill came from the system. Gil Brandt and other *MAJOR* scouting individuals (NOT TV MOCK HEADS) had Ryan Tannehill ranked as high as the 4th best prospect overall.

This was the pick all along, and it needed to be.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:23AM

I'm with A&O. Philbin needs a young QB on the roster to groom. Tannehill is tailor made for the WCO. I think he can be a very successful system QB. I'm not kidding myself. He won't be Dan Marino, but if he wins us a Superbowl he'll have exceeded what Dan did.

Date: April 27, 2012 02:25AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
He won't be Dan
> Marino, but if he wins us a Superbowl he'll have
> exceeded what Dan did.

Sad but True.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:15AM

We are blind becasue the Dolphins choose a non elite players at #8 and passed on elite players...
We are blind becasue RYan Tannehill has pretty much the worst completion percentage in the draft... Blind becasue so many collegient players with 1500 yards as a WR, go on to be elite Franchise QB's in the NFL...We are blind because we drafted a QB, who's team was huge dissapointment last year under his leadership... Ex Gm's Bill Polian, Casserly, Lombardi, and more all said he wasnt a top ten talent. Sorry I dont see it, maybe he pans out, but he has a greater chance of not panning out.. SO be careful who you accuse of being blind...
Just becasue you drank the kool aide, doesnt mean everybody who didnt is blind....SOme say drinking the kool aide makes you blind..

Ryan Tannehill has alot to prove, to prove he was worthy of that #8 picks with elite players still on the board... Until then, lets not be foolish about his hype and realistic about his future...
Ryan Tannehill has an uphill struggle, not a downhill cruise... The majority of players faced with that uphill struggle fail.. We are far from in the clear with this guy... Lets hope his team doesnt buckled against good competition with him at QB, as I saw alot of last year with him at the helm...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 27, 2012 03:21AM

Every player has alot to prove to prove they are worthy of their selection.

Last time I checked Crowder, Andrew Luck nor RG3 has thrown a pass. They also have the same NFL completion % that Tannehill does.

---------------------

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:28AM

Andrew Luck, RG3 and Weeden all had over 70 percent completion percentage last year. Tannehill 61%. It scares me that Tannehill playing in a conference with some of the worst defenses in college football only had a 61.6 completion percentage. Weeden and RG3, had over 70 in that same conference...
DO you honestly think Tannehill's completion percentage is likely to go up, against NFL defense, when he was 61% against the big 12?
Deftinely an uphill struggle that a majority never achieve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 27, 2012 03:30AM

Listen,

Im not splitting hairs with you. Its a waste of my time.

Tannehill is our QB. Wheedon, Luck, and RG3 are not.

It's over.

---------------------

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:39AM

Are we still talking about Weedon? Give it up. He was drafted by Cleveland. Looking at Cleveland's record for drafting QBs , I wouldn't expect much for Weedon:

2010: Colt McCoy
2007: Brady Quinn
2005: Charlie Frye
2004: Luke McCown
2000: Spergon Wynn
1999: Tim Couch
1995: Eric Zeier

I won't go back any further. Suffice to say the only QB that's ever truly been successful in Cleveland has been Bernie Kosar.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:43AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> Don't fool yourself. Tannehill was only picked in
> the first round because Ross figured out that all
> you have to do to sell Tickets for a couple years
> is draft a QB in the first round.
>
> It doesn't mean that Tannehill is any good. But a
> QB like this one has a built in excuse for the
> next couple of years.
>
> In four years, expect to see Tannehill as a backup
> on a small market, third tier team.... just like
> Henne.

aRE YOU STILL MAD BECAUSE WE BEAT THE JEST IN THAT LAST GAME.

Maybe you wanted the shits to draft tannehill because both sanches and
Tbowz both stink.LOL

Date: April 27, 2012 04:44AM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 07:27AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 27, 2012 05:35AM

What the hey ... you knew there would be whiners.

The FO would have been blamed also if they hadn't selected him.

You're gonna have to give them the benefit of the doubt and move on. I feel sorry for some of the wives or girlfriends of those posters who just can't be happy no matter what happens.

Sheesh ... they made a decent choice, one most predicted, ever consider that your glass is half empty cause you keep poking holes in the bottom of it?

I for one would have been fine if we took RT or if we took one of the other awesome picks on the board ... given that they made the selection we fiogure it out as good or bad in the next two years ... why cry in your beer now?

Have some cheese with that whine ... and lighten up ... its all good!smileys with beer

Date: April 27, 2012 06:15AM

I hope I'm wrong on Tannehill but I just don't see a WR converted to QB with low statistics having a ton of success in the NFL. Havent you ever heard, you can't turn a "HO" into a "housewife" !!!!!

Date: April 27, 2012 06:18AM

None of your statements are true though, Rick.

He is not a converted WR. He was always a QB, but he wanted to start and unselfishly volunteered to play WR until he got his shot again.

His also "low stats" we're aided by 77 dropped passes last year.

---------------------

Date: April 27, 2012 06:36AM

Time will tell my friend. I hope I'm wrong and he is a great QB smiling smiley

Date: April 27, 2012 06:41AM

rick1355 Wrote:
> Time will tell my friend. I hope I'm wrong and he
> is a great QB smiling smiley

thumbs up

---------------------

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 27, 2012 06:45AM

rick1355 Wrote:
> I hope I'm wrong on Tannehill but I just don't see
> a WR converted to QB with low statistics having a
> ton of success in the NFL. Havent you ever heard,
> you can't turn a "HO" into a "housewife" !!!!!

Yeah, but that's not the case.

He was a High School QB, son of a coach.

He was a QB when he got to Texas A&M and converted to WR becasue there were two upperclassmen ahead of him at QB and becasue it was his best way to get on the field as an underclassmen.

He then went back to QB when that logjam cleared.

Its not eve remotely the same thing as being a WR your whole life and then converting to QB as a junior in college.

Date: April 27, 2012 06:54AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> We are blind becasue the Dolphins choose a non
> elite players at #8 and passed on elite
> players...

Agree. And the front office only made this pick to mollify a growing contingent who complain that we haven't drafted a QB in the first round since 83.

So the front office picks a guy that would have been mid to late 2nd round in any other draft at #8 overall.

The reason this team has declined like it has is because the second floor has forgotten how to evaluate talent. Now its devolved into fan pandering. Tannehill will keep the circus going for a few more years. The people whining about a first round QB pick may realize that it is the quality of the player, not where you pick him. Though, its more likely they will just ride him out of town on a rail like they did Henne.

At least Tannehill's wife will look good sitting in Ross' stadium.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:25AM

I would agrue Thill is every bit as good as a pure QB prospect as RG3, tho of course RG3 is a speedster with nicer socks. But Thill is a legit PROSPECT, albeit a project per se.

So we're going to have to wait at least a season or so before we can really evaluate the pick with any long-term resolution.

Personally I don't want to see the kid in game action this year. He definitely needs work, and with Moore and Gerrard we're OK @QB for the short term. No reason to expose the kid when he's still developing his chops. Plus, he's in a spot where he can learn from a couple of vets and get ready to rip it up (oh I hope so)...

Date: April 27, 2012 07:38AM

Date: April 27, 2012 07:40AM

JJ from good times used to wear nice colored socks too.

RG111 reminded me of JJ.

Of course i would not have said this if the phins were the ones who drafted him.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:48AM

DolfanKing Wrote:

> That is the catch. RG3 isn't a project, he's
> ready to go.

Strongly DISAGREE with that dude! RG3 is actually MORE of a project than Thill. The O RG3 ran was a tinker toy in relation to the NFL. And RG3 has mechanic issues to resolve as well.

Thill is further along in NFL terms relative to the O he ran and his ability to make legit NFL throws. The kid has "issues" to resolve but he's got a huge upside, like RG3.

Date: April 27, 2012 07:54AM

How would anybody know if a player drafted is a project or not?

I bet many thought ryan leaf was ready to start as well.

Nobody knows...

Date: April 27, 2012 07:55AM

Everybody hopes...thats all they can do. Hope and pray whoever their team drafted becomes a great player.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 27, 2012 09:11AM

Gasp!

I'm amazed at the negativity on this board.

Miami needed a QB; Tanney was the best available.

Some of you are talking stats. Sure, Tanney's stats aren't as good as some of the other guys, but are you guys looking at the system they all played in and what talent they had (or didn't have) around them? I have also heard/read where Tanney's receivers dropped a hell of a lot of balls. That shows up in his stats.

Although it could happen, I highly doubt Tanney will be a bust. He will be playing in a system he has played in for years, both as a QB and WR, so it should be an easy transition for him. He will have much more talent around him now.

Will he start right away? Probably not, but with him having the edge over Miami's other QBs with the offensive system, who knows....he just may be the starter sometime during the season.

If that happens and he doesn't set the world on fire, I am sure there will be posters here that will jump all over him (and Ireland) saying he is a bust, Miami wasted that pick, etc, etc. That would be completely wrong; give him a little time. If he doesn't play at all this season, so be it. Judge him when he does start, not before he even arrives in Miami.

The kid has talent; let the coaching staff coach him.

Anyway, the pick has been made, now let's see what happens the rest of the way.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.