HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Defense missed Crowder
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Defense missed Crowder
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: December 21, 2008 11:36AM

We went from not allowing a TD in 3 complete games to yielding 4 TD's in the first half.

Certainly the cold field conditions hurt our DB's...they were slipping and falling too much...But, the leadership and hard hitting by Crowder was missed.

Hopefully, Crowder gets healthy soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Defense missed Crowder
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 21, 2008 11:39AM

There were a couple of big runs today that Crowder would have stuffed.

It sounds like his injury isn't big, and this was a good week for him to get some rest.

What I really like is that we are back to winning time of possession. The defense looked lethargic in the first half, but completely shut them down in the second. I think they will be in great shape against the Jest.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: December 21, 2008 11:48AM

Did anyone else notice the Chiefs one dimensional offensive gameplan?

Hail-mary, Hail-mary, throw a bomb down field, Hail-mary.... all with a few L.J. runs and QB rushes sprinkled in between.

It was ridiculous to watch. Thigpen kept hurling the ball down-field often into double coverage, either hoping for a pass interference call or a spectacular catch. Lucky for us the wind was ferocious and that type of game plan yields interceptions galore (Thigpen was lucky he only had 3 on the day) They did give the ball to Johnson at times, but Jesus did they throw bombs down field all afternoon. Interesting strategy, I guess the thinking is if you throw 20 Hail-marys' a couple will land. Thank god our offense was able to produce enough to offset the defense's failure and win us the game.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 22, 2008 05:01AM

I think they thought it was their only real chance at a win. They probably felt like something big would have to happen and somehow they'd have to jump out in front and force us to go away from the run/short pass game.

Tyler Thigpen throws a nice ball, makes plays with his legs and makes decent decisions for the most part (interrupted occasionally by the head-scratchers). He looks like a QB who has some good tools and can grow into the role of decent starting QB.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 22, 2008 06:07AM

I have to admit that I though Crowder was one player we could replace next off season but after yesterdays game we have to resign that guy.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 22, 2008 06:22PM

I've been scoping the FA MLB. He's going to get some big $$ thrown his way. He's young, big, and he's already drank the koolaid- so I'm thinking we RESIGN CROWDER.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: December 22, 2008 07:49PM

By the way, what is his status for next week? Has anyone heard anything yet?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 23, 2008 11:40AM

This just backs up my theory that we need to re-sign him this year. He will get a better contract but there are several MLB's on the market in 09 that should be considered higher profile players and I doubt CC will demand the contract that these guys will. Plus, the FA market is bigger than most years and there are a lot of players to choose from. Ray Lewis, Karlos Dansby (ILB or OLcool smiley, Jonathon Vilma & Mike Peterson to name a few. The draft holds much LB talent as well.

I think the replacement should come for Ayodele. He was moved to Crowders spot and made 2 friggin tackles. Torbor moved to Ayodele's spot and made only 1 tackle. We could get a starter next to Crowder and move Ayodele to backup. AA has played well this year and may have been out of his element as he was wearing the speaker helmet and calling plays but I think we can do better as far as getting another playmaker at LB.

Porter was eaten alive all day and is almost a liability against the run. He may get relegated to passing downs at some point unless he starts making plays in the running game. He was blocked one on one during LJ's TD and could not get off the block as LJ ran right past him.

I hope we can get a stud at MLB in the draft who becomes our best LB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 23, 2008 11:46AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This just backs up my theory that we need to
> re-sign him this year. He will get a better
> contract but there are several MLB's on the market
> in 09 that should be considered higher profile
> players and I doubt CC will demand the contract
> that these guys will. Plus, the FA market is
> bigger than most years and there are a lot of
> players to choose from. Ray Lewis, Karlos Dansby
> (ILB or OLcool smiley, Jonathon Vilma & Mike Peterson to
> name a few. The draft holds much LB talent as
> well.
>
> I think the replacement should come for Ayodele.
> He was moved to Crowders spot and made 2 friggin
> tackles. Torbor moved to Ayodele's spot and made
> only 1 tackle. We could get a starter next to
> Crowder and move Ayodele to backup. AA has played
> well this year and may have been out of his
> element as he was wearing the speaker helmet and
> calling plays but I think we can do better as far
> as getting another playmaker at LB.
>
> Porter was eaten alive all day and is almost a
> liability against the run. He may get relegated
> to passing downs at some point unless he starts
> making plays in the running game. He was blocked
> one on one during LJ's TD and could not get off
> the block as LJ ran right past him.
>
> I hope we can get a stud at MLB in the draft who
> becomes our best LB.

I doubt we'll do it, but what if we went after Ray Lewis?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 23, 2008 11:49AM

Just my opinion but why get rid of Zach because of his age and then sign Ray when they are both the same age?

That's a lot of money for an old LB. I bet he stays in Baltimore...especially with the success they are now experiencing.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 23, 2008 01:55PM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 23, 2008 02:14PM

We signed LB Derek Smith today. That doesn't bode well for Crowder's ability to play this Sunday.

I don't think Crowder is a particularly great player. He never makes big plays (sacks, INT, stuff, etc), often fills the wrong hole, and makes many tackles trailing the play downfield. But, he's got a great motor, and it makes him a decent player. But, Ayodele is terrible. Crowder may not stuff runs in the hole like Zach used to, but at least he makes the tackle eventually. I think there are two big obstacles to re-signing Crowder. Number one, is he going to demand to be paid like he's a great LB? Because he's not, this regime probably won't go for it. And number two, this knee injury. Crowder had tons of knee problems in his youth. If there is a concern about this going forward, then he won't be back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 02:15PM by dolfanmark.

Date: December 23, 2008 02:21PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> We signed LB Derek Smith today. That doesn't bode
> well for Crowder's ability to play this Sunday.
>
> I don't think Crowder is a particularly great
> player. He never makes big plays (sacks, INT,
> stuff, etc), often fills the wrong hole, and makes
> many tackles trailing the play downfield.

He may not be a "great" ILB, but he's the best we have at that position. That's probably not saying much. LB may be our biggest hole.

Date: December 23, 2008 02:22PM

eesti Wrote:
> Just my opinion but why get rid of Zach because of
> his age and then sign Ray when they are both the
> same age?
>
> That's a lot of money for an old LB. I bet he
> stays in Baltimore...especially with the success
> they are now experiencing.

We'd probably be stretching it with Ray, but the comparison between the 2 is obvious...concussions. Zach's been hit in the head one-too-many times in his career. It's sad, but true. He's one more bad hit away from ending his career. Ray's bigger and will likely have a few more productive years.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 23, 2008 02:56PM

montequi Wrote:

> He may not be a "great" ILB, but he's the best we
> have at that position. That's probably not saying
> much. LB may be our biggest hole.

He is the best ILB we have, that's for sure. If we bring him back, I think we look for a major upgrade next to him. I think if we had a real instinctive, 10-tackle-per-game guy next to him, it would be a pretty formidable pair. Ayodele has those 2 nice INT this year, but for most part, he is invisible.

I'm starting to think that Roth/Anderson will continue to be the strongside OLB combo. Roth is setting the edge versus the run pretty well. And although he is pretty weak in coverage, he does a good enough job of being physical with the TE at the line of scrimmage that it hasn't hurt us. Anderson was hurt early in the year, but shows great speed and some good pass rush skill. They may make a good "platoon" at the position. They've combined for 79 tackles (although Anderson has some of these on special teams), 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 3 passes defensed, and a safety.

Date: December 24, 2008 06:17AM

I suppose if we're able to upgrade Ayodele, but keep him as the backup...then relegate Torbor to special teams ONLY (or let him go altogether) our LBs should be OK. I wouldn't mind seeing Zach come back for one final year. Did he sign for more than 1 year with Dallas?

Our D-Line should definitely show improvement next year, as Merling and Langford will have one year under their belts. We probably will need a replacement for Ferguson that's better than Soliai (someone who will take over when Ferguson retires). That should help our LBs as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.