HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2012 free agency
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
2012 free agency
Posted by: finman34 ()
Date: March 14, 2012 04:19PM

Two days into free agency and from last years team we have...........

Lost:

Kendall Langford
Brandon Marshall

Gained:

Nothing.

two days in and nothing. Solai doesn't count as a change or addition from last years team. Feels like we are moving backwards. Behind the 8 ball. I'd be happy at this point with just Flynn and Winston in free agency. Use the draft for the rest. No more waiting on a pipe dream with Manning imo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2012 free agency
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 14, 2012 04:23PM

Soliai counts $8M less against the cap than he did last year. That's nice.

And we are 29 hours into free agency. Be patient. And the better teams don't build through free agency. And they sure don't do it in the early hours of free agency when the crazy money deals get doled out. Almost $40M for Laurent Robinson? Please, that is crazy. Glad we didn't get in the mix.

Date: March 14, 2012 04:29PM

I totally agree about building through the draft. I think wr should come from the draft for us. Free agents wr's are too pricey and most aren't worth the money they get ala Laurent Robinson.

I think Winston would solidify our line to help whatever qb we end up with. I think it would be a great pick up and worth the money. Two great first round tackles and Center. Incognito at lg and Jerry at rg. Sounds pretty sweet. Not sold on Matt Flynn completely but he is about the only option and may be worth the shot. At the very least, competition for Matt Moore.

I could live with just those two pickups in free agency.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 14, 2012 04:32PM

Who did we lose Langford to?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 14, 2012 04:36PM

He hasn't signed with anybody yet. He's got three visits lined up starting tomorrow. I think he is in Cincy tomorrow. All the reports out there are stating that the Solai contract pretty much guarantees Langford will not be resigned. Not sure why. I'm assuming because of the cap and other needs.

Date: March 14, 2012 04:43PM

Take a Chill Pill.......drinking smiley

Date: March 14, 2012 05:17PM

Lost:

Brandon Marshall

Gained:
CB/FS Richard Marshall
$6M in cap space in 2012
$19M in cap space in 2013 and 2014 combined
re-signed Paul Soliai at a cap number $8M less than 2011

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 14, 2012 05:50PM

We'll looks like we are just going to maintain a defensive minded team, ....AGAIN.

Make it look good, score only a few points...keep the other teams from running up points on us, but lose most of our games so we play as a guy on another board posted "FLAT FOR MATT" (Barkley).

He also thinks that maybe just maybe, this was "Ceasar Ross and Brutus Irelandius's" plan from the beginning.

At least it made me smile for a minute... a little humor never hurts...

moody smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 06:05PM by chrisnnavarre.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 14, 2012 06:39PM

Keeping Soliai is a BIG deal. I applaud Ireland for playing this one with intelligence. He obviously knew the market and also realized Paul wants to stay in SFL. If you look at the teams that were interested in Paul (I knew NE had to be interested and San Fran has an eye for great D talent) you realize the kid was a defacto 1st rounder in the mix. And the scary thing is he still has upside! No matter what front we employ this is a GREAT move!

I 100% support getting rid of the Bowel Movement. Bottom line, 2 3rds are very good compensation in this head case. I believe we've got more talent stashed @WR than many think. And getting rid of BM will allow more equity and overall productivity. In addition, this draft is deep @WR and BM was had for a 4th at one time – so with a little good fortune we could end up upgrading the position.

Kendall Langford is a class kid yet he’s done nothing to really distinguish himself. He’s a very solid 3-4 DE but he’s not worth big money because he cannot disrupt. I assume he could make more $ elsewhere but if the differential isn’t substantial we could still resign him because I’m 99% sure he’d also like to stay in SFL. So maybe he gets a few offers and then allows Ireland to be “competitive” or pass. I think that’s a realistic possibility.

Landing a young productive DB who is positionally flexible is another very good move. This is especially notable since the draft is regarded quite thin @S etc.

We’re in the game with Flynn and have some other interesting prospects, especially for the RT position. Bottom line we dumped Cary and Colombo the clown and will upgrade nicely in that area. I still believe OT and/or G are priorities in the draft, and they’re both deep positions so we won’t break the bank $ wise in FA IMO.

But most important we kept the BIG DUDE we needed to keep and I feel a LOT better about that.

BNF.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:01AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 03:56AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lost:
>
> Brandon Marshall
>
> Gained:
> CB/FS Richard Marshall
> $6M in cap space in 2012
> $19M in cap space in 2013 and 2014 combined
> re-signed Paul Soliai at a cap number $8M less
> than 2011

you forgot we gained 2 - 3rd rounders mark....>That could mean a lot if we get lucky a draft the right player.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:15PM

Lost:

Brandon Marshall

Gained:
CB/FS Richard Marshall
$6M in cap space in 2012
$19M in cap space in 2013 and 2014 combined
re-signed Paul Soliai at a cap number $8M less than 2011
a 3rd rd pick in 2012
a 3rd rd pick in 2013
DE/OLB Jamaal Westerman, decent part time pass rusher
RG/RT Artis Hicks, has started games at LT, RT, and RG over the last 4 years
re-signed RB Steve Slaton

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:28AM

IF IF IF you are a really good talent evaluator and GM woudlnt you want to build through the draft???

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:44AM

I think were doing fine in FA.

We have filled some nice gaps and retained Solai, fiormed up secondary, DE, and Guard. That's awesome!

There are still pieces in motion on the QB front and I think were doing the best we can with t what's out there.

No reason to be whining ... we have done as well as we could up to now and hopefully get a lot better weith a new scheme and and hopefully a new QB and WR that is a team leader or at least can fit his head into his helmet.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:48AM

I agree we're doing OK so far in FA. My concern is we've got very little cap space left and still need our QB. I'd rather build thru the draft anyway.

Posted by: Alpha Phin ()
Date: March 16, 2012 07:08AM

If they could sign Mark Anderson and Flynn this would be a solid free agency year. They not only get their Quarterback of the future but also fill in the holes on defense. Then they could build the offense thru the draft which includes an additional 3rd round pick.

Date: March 16, 2012 07:22AM

if we don't get flynn, well....

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 16, 2012 07:40AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I agree we're doing OK so far in FA. My concern is
> we've got very little cap space left and still
> need our QB. I'd rather build thru the draft
> anyway.

We still haven't re-structured any contracts yet berk (hopefully we wont have to). And if Flynn signs with Seattle, we'll draft Tannehill @8 or Wheedeon later. I find it curious that Philbin isn't jumping up and down screaming for Flynn. Either Ireland is one bad ass poker player, or we aren't that high on Flynn.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 16, 2012 09:53AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I find it curious that Philbin
> isn't jumping up and down screaming for Flynn.
> Either Ireland is one bad ass poker player, or we
> aren't that high on Flynn.

Are you really expecting Philbin to be in the press telling his boss what he needs to do or are you actually suggesting that its "curious" he literally isnt jumping up and down outside Ireland's office/house with a "GET ME FLYNN" sign??? confused smiley

Date: March 16, 2012 09:54AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 16, 2012 10:09AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I find it curious that Philbin
> > isn't jumping up and down screaming for Flynn.
> > Either Ireland is one bad ass poker player, or
> we
> > aren't that high on Flynn.
>
>
> Are you really expecting Philbin to be in the
> press telling his boss what he needs to do or are
> you actually suggesting that its "curious" he
> literally isnt jumping up and down outside
> Ireland's office/house with a "GET ME FLYNN"
> sign??? confused smiley

Touche', I guess it was a stupid comment for me to make, I should of said, I'll be curious to hear when the "tell-all" book comes out later if Philbin was jumping up and down screaming for Flynn.
If Philbin's strongly endorsing Flynn and Ireland is not showing his hand just to drive the price down.........he's got a huge set of stones on him.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 16, 2012 10:11AM

The media are a bunch of bitches and they got 1/2 this board whining with them ... don't get sucked into their drama.

I think we have a decent chance at signing Flynn and if we don't it because we are managing the budget and really don't need to overpay for what Philbin already knows what he's getting or not getting.

What a crock for PFW to publish we are low balling when they don't know crap about what we are offering nor do they know what Flynn is really worth.

It amazes me how we give more credence to what a mindless writer puts up who knows squat about it but just looking for someone to read his post.

Chill, it gonna be alright!

Date: March 16, 2012 12:27PM

so it seems like the truth has replaced crowder as the most positive poster on here, and crowder has joined the dark side. something is definitely afoot in dolphins land....

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: March 16, 2012 05:25PM

What if PHILBIN is NOT sold on FLYNN at all? Would THAT explain "lowballing" if MIAMI actually "lowballed"?

Date: March 16, 2012 05:40PM

No that doesn't explain that.

---------------------

Date: March 16, 2012 05:56PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> No that doesn't explain that.

Actually, it does explain that.

If Philbin thinks Flynn is a decent QB but not a franchise guy and we made him an offer less than franchise guy money it would explain the low offer.

Of course, nobody knows what "low-ball" actually means in this case.

Did we offer him back up money? Did we offer him less than Kolb or Cassell got (which is what he's looking for)?

There's a big gap between 11-mill a year and the 2.5 that Moore was making as a "backup" last season.

Either way, Philbins assessment of Flynn's potential surely had an impact on what we were willing to offer him.

Date: March 16, 2012 06:31PM

Well I disagree. I respect your opinion, but I think Ireland is a dick, the same one who asked a player if his mother is a whore.

Ireland used this against Flynn to make it look like he is an average guy. If Ireland makes it look like PhilbIn thinks Flynn is average then every other team wOuld be scared.

---------------------

Date: March 16, 2012 06:37PM

Who cares just stick with Moore, next year trade the bank for Barkley and be done with it.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:43PM

Honestly, Moore has done more to prove he could be a franchise QB than Flynn has. Philbin is one of the only guys out there to really knows what Flynn can do. At least, I hope so!

Date: March 16, 2012 06:45PM

If Flynn was the man you really think Philbin wouldnt have been like f.ck Manning Flynn can do it.

Keep Moore trade bank next year for Barkley and live long and prosper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.