HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Peyton Manning Miami's top QB priority.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Peyton Manning Miami's top QB priority.
Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: January 30, 2012 08:44AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peyton Manning Miami's top QB priority.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:07AM

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:17AM

Probably wise to not believe a single shred of information that leaks from any NFL front office between now and the start of preseason.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:21AM

this whole conversation is silly. it assumes payton will ever even be able to play again. he probably won't, but I seriously doubt the question if he can will be answered in the next few months. so if we sign an injured manning as our QB "upgrade" when he is still hurt then we are beyond hope.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:53AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If this is correct, then my worst fears are
> realized. The Truth is really in the Miami
> Dolphin managagement.
>
> My Plan A was trade up but my second choice was
> Matt Flynn. I would not have even chosen Peyton
> Manning.
>
> Choosing this guy AS A PLAN AT ALL has multiple
> non-starter questions surrounding him.
>
> First non-starter is lack of any assurance that he
> is healthy. That can only be determined during at
> least spring practice.
>
> Second non-starter is that even if he IS healthy,
> whether he will STAY healthy. Before TT or berk
> comes back with that is the risk with ANY player,
> not EVERY player has a neck injury that a lot of
> opinion has it is DIFFICULT to come back from.
>
> Third non-starter is that given that the arms
> stretch the neck on every throw, whether his
> mechanics will be the same.
>
> Fourth non-starter is even if he is great, HOW
> LONG will we have him? If he can't stand to be in
> the same situation with Andrew Luck, will he
> likely relish the same situation with MATT
> BARKLEY???
>
> This is typical TT confused thinking.
>
> -------------------------------

Think it through CB. Of COURSE Manning is option "A". He's the only guy on the list who is an elite player already AND can be had without giving up draft picks.

You are confusing TOP PRIORITY with SINGLE MINDED OBSESSION.

This is why you have team doctors and player physicals. If manning doesn't get the "thumbs up" from your team doctors OR if you can't sign him to a contract that has protections from injury built in, then you move on to plan "B".

Just because he's your first choice before the process starts doesn't mean he's your only option or that you'll even want him once you get a chance to "look under the hood".

And you WISH I worked in the fins front office. If I did we wouldn't still be looking for a franchise qb 12 years after Dan rode off into the sunset.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: January 30, 2012 11:48AM

My first thought is NO, NO, NO, but, lets look at Miami's past QB decisions. I say, lets get him if it is only for $$$.

He is only a POSSIBLE quick fix. We still need to get a young QB with promise.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 30, 2012 01:59PM

I see it at about a 25% chance that Peyton's a Dolphin next year, I'll worry about it if it happens.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 30, 2012 02:05PM

how cool would it be if manning could be a healthy dolphin. Then he would see his arch rival tom terrific twice a year. Our ticket sales would go through the roof!

Date: January 30, 2012 02:50PM

I know I said the same thing about Drew Breeze when saban was decideing weather he still had the goods or not. Lets have a little faith in the mangament that they won't throw mega Millions at a broken Toy. Philbin seems to have a good head on his shoulders as well. maybe they have tanehill on their radar and want him to play a few seasons behind manning?

Date: January 30, 2012 04:23PM

Yeah, Treasure but Brees was at the beginning of his career and even if healthy Peyton is at the end of his career.

TT, the problem is that there is no guarantee that even if healthy now, he will be healthy after the first hit.

A medical exam is not going to tell you that.

All you can do is look at the type of injury and either get the "willies" or not. A neck injury gives me the willies.

You can't force a square peg into a round hole, TT.

We would all like to have the Peyton Manning of the last 10 years on our team.

Well, I remember being told about kids reading this site so I'll swear off on an analogy about an 80 year old woman who looked great in the 1950's.

But you get my point.

------------------------------

Date: January 30, 2012 06:17PM

I hear you . Not my first choice, but I gotta believe he still has some Value or they wouldn't be interested. His Knees and shoulder are fine, he has taken a whole season off. Might have been a pinched nerve that just required some time to release pressure . Maybe not.........but a good team Doctor should be able to tell for sure. he's going to get MRI's, X Rays, blood work........And I believe if healthy he will be as good as Tom Brady if not better.

The Colts are only letting him go becuase of Luck and the Future. this is a rare rare oppourtunity that you see someone of his calibur let go. Its a rare set of circumstances and you just can't compare him to any old Quarterback.

Date: January 30, 2012 06:19PM

Might, but might not.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 06:40PM

payton will never play again

Date: January 30, 2012 07:06PM

If he passes a Physical , I believe he will play at a high level again . Peyton ain't Brett Farve. He will know when to hang it up and not embarass himself. If he passes a physical and he says he's determined to make a run at another bowl.......I would have to believe in him.

Date: January 30, 2012 07:16PM

Hmmmm. I wish he WERE Brett Favre. Brett played pretty well in his final days. I'm more afraid that Peyton's injury will leave him much less than either he was before he left or Brett was in his last year.

Date: January 31, 2012 02:23AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Hmmmm. I wish he WERE Brett Favre. Brett played
> pretty well in his final days. I'm more afraid
> that Peyton's injury will leave him much less than
> either he was before he left or Brett was in his
> last year.

Then he won't make it out of Training camp. Too many Hurdles for him to jump before he is given the Keys to the Kingdom. He was Indy's hero not ours. I might be the most ignorant fanboy, but I have to believe Philbin isn't going to blow this chance on a Broken Toy. Ross needs to win , especially if he wants Tax money from the surrounding communities. Pressure is building on him , They are looking to win NOW. Thats why they don't want a Rookie .

Date: January 31, 2012 02:45AM

Date: January 31, 2012 02:46AM

My biggest fear is that Ross is gonna view signing Manning as the big splash he so desperately needs with the fan base, and look the other way on a questionable health report. If they trust the process and truly let the doctors decide if he's healthy or not, then I have no problem with whatever decision they make. I doubt manning would choose us even if he is healthy though.

Date: January 31, 2012 05:15AM

Man did not become a Billioniare making stupid decisions like that. He needs to win, not make headlines. He would prefer both.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 31, 2012 07:33AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I doubt manning would
> choose us even if he is healthy though.

Well, if he's NOT healthy, at least he'll be doing us a favor. One thing you can't deny is Manning's integrity. I don't think he'd want to put ANY team in a position of signing a guy that can't play.

Date: January 31, 2012 07:58AM

Well, you know sometimes no one knows about injuries until actual play. And WHOSE training camp will he be in. This is not the "combines" where rookies unaffiliated with any team come to perform. You go to a training camp of a team with which you are affiliated and if Peyton and the Colts part ways, someone has to sign him first unless he volunteers for workouts. And then, he'd have to be a helluva nice guy to go.

Although to be fair to TT, I don't agree with the argument that he would never come to us. I think we are an offensive lineman or two away from being a playoff team. If we upgrade on WR (and that means getting rid of Brandon and getting someone who will catch) and get just a little help in the secondary, we're a playoff team.

Now yes the impression is now that "Miami sucks." Wouldn't it be wonderful for Peyton's rep to come here and in one year take us to the SuperBowl?

Date: January 31, 2012 08:14AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Although to be fair to TT, I don't agree with the
> argument that he would never come to us.

To be fair to TT Chyren, he didn't say Manning wouldn't play for us.....I did.

Date: January 31, 2012 08:30AM

No but that was his PLAN A which he defended vigorously in another thread. I wasn't talking about this thread when I made that comment.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 03, 2012 02:35AM

I think this decision will be one of the most scrutinized in the history of our franchise, and I think the organization will treat it as such. If they come to the decision that he can play at/near his pre-injury level of performance then it will be a pretty objective analysis, I'll bet. I also put a good bit of stock in Peyton's integrity and sense of self. I genuinely doubt that he would play if he thought he was risking a high percentage of long-term health and wellbeing. On that note, I'd bet we would get away with all kinds of holding if he's our QB.

The objective is to win the SB. If Peyton can stay healthy for 1 full year, it's our best single-season chance to win a SB in years. I would even say that if he can stay healthy for 2 full years, it gives us our best chance in the next 5 years no matter what else we might do for our QB situation.

Ask yourself this, would Indy be cutting him if they weren't in a position to pick Luck?

Date: February 03, 2012 03:26AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> >
> Ask yourself this, would Indy be cutting him if
> they weren't in a position to pick Luck?

Thats pretty much what I was trying to say.........Its a very unique situation that a team would let go of a 1st round Hall of Famer with some possible Gas left in the Tank. If He passes OUR Physical and performs in Training Camp........This could be an incredible chance for the Miami Dolphins. But we would need to get a QB for the future under him as well.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 03, 2012 05:09AM

Even though the Colts finished 2-14 & Irsay fired his F.O. & coaches, there's no way he's feeling bad about winning the sweepstakes. The dude is in tweet whore heaven.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: February 03, 2012 07:08AM

We need to put a proposal together for the #1 pick. Give Indy Marshall, our #1 this year and one (or two) defensive lineman of thier choice.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 03, 2012 07:31AM

Date: February 03, 2012 08:04AM

They're gonna cut him so he's gonna be a free agent so why would we deal with Indy instead of waiting for them to cut him and just deal, less expensively, with him ourselves?????????????????????????????

Posted by: Luis75 ()
Date: February 03, 2012 10:56AM

Man, all of this has so much uncertainty and it scares the crap out of me. One would think Manning in Miami could give us a legitimate shot. Then again, football is so sensitive that the slightest mistake ruins chemistry and is the downfall to a team. Philbin is a new coach bringing his philosophy to the team. Having Manning might harm this. Manning was the coach in Indy, everyone knows that. We run the risk of going 12-4 making a wild card and were out by round one. Some might see this as successful but lets look at the damage being done:

- Manning gets even older

- Philbin has no presence in the locker room. Manning is the real coach.

- Low draft pick. Hello O-linemen who will be out of the league in 2 years
(thanks Ireland)

- Once Manning is done, this team is in disarray. Philbin will have no respect from players, We will have no good FA or draft pick to show for, and we would just be a decent playoff team with no real shot at the title (remember the 90's?)

- If we get Manning we are in the same boat in 2016 tops. Fired coach and looking for a QB.

Now hear me out.

If we get Flynn we are in a big gamble. He could suck something awful, don't get me wrong, but I think we still have room for one more good FA.

He is young and eager to have his own team. Philbin is also (except young). This is CRUCIAL in building a successful franchise. Those two know each other and Philbin will command the locker room. He and Flynn will grow together and work to make themselves better. Here's the possible results:

- Flynn works out and we have a QB for years to come.
- Philbin is able to establish himself as a top coach.
- we make it to the playoffs and its not as unsuccessful if we loose because the clock isn't ticking on Flynn, he can still get better. Payton is on the decline.

or

- Flynn sucks.
- Philbin sucks
- we go 6-10
By 2016 tops this process repeats itself.

My point is, with Manning, were Rex Ryaning it and going big to win now. With Flynn, we are looking ahead.

If neither work out so be it.

But if one does, I'd rather it be Flynn because if Manning works out, we are at the same spot we are now in a few years.

Besides, Doesn't Manning in a Dolphin uniform kind of remind you of Montana in a Cheifs uniform. Just looks weird.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.