HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          MOCK OFFSEASON
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MOCK OFFSEASON
Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 09:48AM

Anybody got any ideas how to improve this years team even more for next year when the SUPERBOWL is in MIAMI?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MOCK OFFSEASON
Date: December 16, 2008 09:50AM

Date: December 16, 2008 09:54AM

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: December 16, 2008 10:08AM

Antonio Bryant. Big proven WR with good hands. Also, he's still young enough to have several good years left in him.

Date: December 16, 2008 10:27AM

Say goodbye to....

ERNEST WILFORD

Resign....

CROWDER
YEREMIAH BELL
VERNON CAREY

Acquire FREE AGENT....

CB Nnamdi Asomugha
WR TJ HOUSHMANDZADEH.

SO WE DRAFT

1ST- DT BJ RAJI

2A- CB DJ MOORE

2B- MLB DARRY BECKWITH

3A WR DERRICK WILLIAMS

4 TE RYAN PURVIS

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 06:23PM by DaytonaDolfan13.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 16, 2008 10:46AM

Cool cap numbers...but they're for 2008. Does anyone know of our 2009 projections including dead cap (which I thought was the most interesting part)?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 16, 2008 12:57PM

I think FA is where to go if you want to get a proven WR who can contribute right away, which is a need for our team. I'm not sure I'm as high on TJ Houz... as others are, but I could see us taking good, long looks at the available FA WR talent ahead of just about every other position.

I would also want to be very sure that any OL we swap in for Carey on the FA market is an upgrade. I happen to think that he has been very valuable to us, in spite of being misused early in his career. I'm probably ok with spending money on him, given his performance and experience with us.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 05:03PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 16, 2008 06:17PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Say goodbye to....
>
> VERNON CAREY
> ERNEST WILFORD
> CHANNING CROWDER
> R HILL
> CROCKER
>
Sparano, being an ex-O-Line coach, I think he'll be careful about changes there. Good tackles are hard to come by. Consequently, I could see us re-signing Carey. Crowder is a question mark, could go either way. I'm not sure Hill will garner that much money. If someone offers him a big contract, he's gone. If not, I could see him staying. No question Wilford and Crocker are gone. We'll replace them with upgrades.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 16, 2008 06:37PM

I would like to address both posts by Phinsfan2 and DaytonaDolfan13.

First PF2...

That certainly would be unprecedented as far as free agent aquistions
but not very realistic.

Chris Gamble signed a 6 year contract extension in November.

Paying that much money for Chris Canty when we just drafted promising DE's, Merling and Langford would be throwing money down the drain.

I would love to have Haynesworth but he will be the most sought after FA next year and will become the highest paid DT in the league. Tommie Harris currently holds that distinction with 10 mil a year and an 18 mil signing bonus. I would guestimate that AH will net 20+ bonus and upwards of 10 million/season. Is Parcels going to go for this? After all it was Haynesworth that stomped on on Parcels starting center's helmetless head in Dallas.

Jordon Gross made the Pro Bowl as a Left Tackle this year and will be looking to stay on the money side of the O-line. The panthers paid him 7.5 million this year and will probably want to keep him. I don't see it being worth the money anyway and the grass isn't always greener. We should keep Carey if we can. He is one of the best RT's in the league and won't demand LT money.

Daytona...

I am not sure why everyone wants to get rid of Carey. He is solid. Here is a recent comment about Starks from Rotoworld. "Max Starks has been manning Big Ben's blind side with Smith out and has been a turnstile. Starks has slow feet and is highly susceptible to speedy edge rushers." Max Starks has been benched and cannot break the lineup for a struggling Pit O-line.

Crocker is no longer with Miami. He was released in October so we can't cut him again.

Our secondary is improving and Renaldo Hill has done a good job. Sparano says he is helping everyone in the secondary and tells everyone where they need to be. He is under a 3 year contract and I don't think we could replace him for 2 mil a year. If we are going to improve the FS spot, we should do it through the draft and keep him just in case.

I don't see Vilma as an upgrade to Crowder and he is too small. BP & co. want big linebackers and JV is 6'1 230 and only has 8 more tackles than Crowder as a MLB in a 4-3. Crowder is 6'2 250. I think we can upgrade LB in the draft with a very deep 09 draft for LB's.

Sean Jones plays the same position as Yeremiah Bell so why do we need another Strong Safety? Especially another with injury problems and a surgically repaired knee. He has 48 tackles this year compared to Bells 104. He also struggles in coverage so FS is not a good option.

A Guard as high as 2a and going into next year with our crew of number 2 and 3 WR's and 3rd and 4th round rookies? Ouch.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 17, 2008 03:20AM

I would like to address eesti....grinning smiley

I think Carey may move on and Max Starks is a huge man. He has the SIZE and needs to be coached up. Having an OL expert in Sporano makes Max a diamond in the rough. His struggles this year is what makes him available.

G HERMAN JOHNSON my 2A choice. I another GIANT lineman. What you rather have .... who louis murphy from UF?

Date: December 17, 2008 03:57AM

I would rather pick up a guard later in the draft. We were lucky to get a starter in Donald Thomas in the 6th round but they can be found later. I think we need to address CB, LB, WR & DT with those higher picks. We may be in for a change next year if Al Johnson can start @ Center which he did for Dallas for two years. He is a former 2nd round draft pick and just now getting healthy...and Satele will be utilized at pulling guard.

That leaves us with...

Long
Satele
Johnson
Thomas
Carey (if he stays)

From there we just need to try and pluck another star from later rounds and see if they can unseat Satele or another backup. Then we have some versatility with Satele at backup who can play center or guard.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 05:28AM

'Max Starks is a huge man. He has the SIZE and needs to be coached up.'

Coached up, Starks has been in the NFL for 5 years, he is lazy. People need to start appreciating Carey or they just might get what they want.
Some fans should watch some Steeler's games and see Ben get the heck beat out of him w/ a lot of thanks for nothings going to Starks. I'm a big Gator fan but Starks stinks.

Date: December 17, 2008 05:33AM

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: December 17, 2008 05:48AM

Ginn SUCKS! Get rid of that P.O.S.

Posted by: jpippiniii ()
Date: December 17, 2008 08:40AM

I say we keep Holliday. Thats just me though..

Posted by: jpippiniii ()
Date: December 17, 2008 08:42AM

Well we could release Torbor and re-sign crowder and put him into his home position as a OLB then pick up a MLB. What do you guys think?? That would put Porter and Crowder on the outside and then whomever we pick up. If you dont mind me saying, I think that would help with our outside.. Coverage and Blitz wise..

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 09:42AM

To improve this team we need both a pro bowl DE and another pro bowl LB WHo can rush the passer like the man joey porter. Because joey porter IS THE MAN.

We need a pro bowl free saftey. You know thats the last line of defense.

We need a couple of superstar receivers. And we need depth for the Offensive line. Thats would get us to the next level.

Date: December 17, 2008 01:32PM

IntangibleS to make a serious CHAMPIONSHIP run next year.

-SPECIAL TEAMS

*Kick-off and punt coverage players are availble in those late rounds, we have 3 7 round choices?

-DEFENSE

*DT TANK JOHNSON $
*Crowder's replacment- RAY LEWIS $ (after baltimore looses out)
*Shut down corner-Nnambi Asomugha $

-OFFENSE

*Legitimate #1 WR $$ (How about Bouldin or TJ)
*Depth on the OL via DRAFT
*Another RB via DRAFT
*Retain core players and new wrinkles for WILDCAT

Date: December 18, 2008 05:26AM

Parcels told Zach Thomas he was letting him go because of his age. He was drafted the same year as Zach Thomas so I doubt we will be getting Ray Lewis or any LB in that age group...such as James Farrior...even though the are both free agent LB's next year. Farrior is two year younger but I think we grab LB's in the draft although Karlos Dansby may be an option. I hope not as the Jets overpaid for Pace (7 mil/yr)last year and Dansby will get a bigger contract from someone. He wants 9 mil a year. The draft is a better option.

Date: December 18, 2008 05:34AM

jpippiniii Wrote:
> Well we could release Torbor and re-sign crowder
> and put him into his home position as a OLB then
> pick up a MLB. What do you guys think?? That would
> put Porter and Crowder on the outside and then
> whomever we pick up. If you dont mind me saying, I
> think that would help with our outside.. Coverage
> and Blitz wise..

Crowder played outside in the 4-3 not in a 3-4. He is not really a rush LB. He is in the top 13 in the NFL in tackles. I think we replace Ayodele or move him to backup... but do it thru the draft with someone like Brandon Spikes. Then we have two former gators at ILB.

Date: December 18, 2008 08:13AM

This year we had Langford, Merling, Long & Thomas all set up for significant roles on the team. Not to mention Carpenter & Davone Bess.

I hope we are as lucky next year in the draft and non drafted free agents. If we are then several current players will be out of starting jobs. Those players could be...

Akin Ayodele, Renaldo Hill, Matt Roth, Ginn, Camarillo or Bess, Allen or Goodman and Polite.

If we want to improve our running game next year...I say we let Lorenzo Neal retire in Miami. The guy is amazing even at 37. You see what happened to LT after he left. He has gone frim a 4.4 ypc average to 3.6 and will probably only get 1056 yards as opposed to 1474 from last year and 1815 the year before.

Date: December 18, 2008 11:39AM

Akin Ayodele, Renaldo Hill, Matt Roth, Ginn, Camarillo or Bess, Allen or Goodman and Polite

A COUPLE NAMES JUMP OUT...

Akin? MATT ROTH ? BESS ?

You think they should be replaced by rookie draftees. I think Roth has been tearing it up this year. I'm impressed by him and by Bess. So you lost me there. Camarillo showed us something too, though he is hurt.

Zach got let go because of his size.

Date: December 18, 2008 12:01PM

I would like to see a Linebacking corp of studs like the old Saints used to have. You know... Pat Swilling, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson. Or the Steelers with Greg LLoyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Chad Brown.

Ayodele is above average and so is Roth bit I want a dominant ILB to pair with Crowder. One who will overshadow Crowder and force him to get better and meaner. One who is a play making, knock your head off, intercepting, fumble forcing stud.

Then I want another pass rushing threat...Can you imagine a team with players like Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd on the outside. We need someone to offer more upfield pressure along with Porter and make more big plays.

Next year at WR...we need a serious upgrade! As good as bess and Cam have been...they are not good enough to be true number 1 receivers. That is why I figured a true number one to add to the squad. Now, Ginn may very well step up and be the man next year...the 3rd year is often when the light comes on...but even if he does, another threat would be needed. Bess and Cam are great for the slot but neither are fast enough to get deep consistently. Both are 4.6 guys. We need another 4.3 playmaker that will put the fear in DB's and Def. Coord.'s.

Zach was inetreviewed on Hard Knocks this year and specifically stated that Bill told him..."You are 35 years old. I gotta let you go"...it was not becasue of his size...although it was stated that we wanted bigger LB's in this scheme as well.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 18, 2008 04:35PM

I don't get the focus on nexst season, when we are finally in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Might be just me, but I'm excited about this year now. Time for filling the roster at season's end

Date: December 18, 2008 04:58PM

Date: December 19, 2008 07:05AM

Should we be discribing our offensive and defensive schemes, our tendancies, the plays. I think not.

I'm definately not going to POST something on looking ahead to next week's game, thats a JINX.

ONE GAME AT A TIME TILL WE'RE DRAFTING IN THE 32 SPOT.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 19, 2008 07:53AM

I think Lauranitis, Maualuga & B. Spikes might all be gone before we draft. Who is the next tier of MLB's & is the next tier of guys even close to the big 3?

Date: December 19, 2008 11:38AM

IMO MLB from LSU Darry Beckwith is a possible 2A choice. His size speed and solo tackling ability makes him a valuable commodity in the 2nd.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 19, 2008 06:23PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> In addition release: Wilford ($1mill), David
> Martin ($750k), Carey ($2.5 mill), Soliai (400k),
> Vonnie Holliday (1.65mill), Crowder ($1mill),
> Reggie Torbor(1mill).
>
I don't see it. Five of these guys are starters, and we're not getting much by releasing them. Crowder is looking for a new contract, so I could see him going. Martin is cheap. Carey is a quality RT that isn't easily replaced. Holliday may be gone, and Wilford and Torbor are making too much to be backups. Still, I think we hang on to Carey, Soliai and Martin.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.