HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          History should tell us 1 thing
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
History should tell us 1 thing
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 16, 2012 01:16PM

We're throwing an awful lot of names out there of who would be a good HC or not, most of that is based on their current positions. Think about that for a few. Here's a few examples;

Cam Cameron - Came here as the hot-shot OC from San Diego....Failed.

John Harbaugh - Went to the Ravens as a ST coach, pretty sure the fan base wasn't thrilled with that choice - Good HC

Mike McCarthy - G Bay hired him from San Fran, where he led the 31st ranked offense, think people loved that? - Super Bowl winning coach

Spagnola - Rams hired him as the hot-shot DC from the Giants - Failed

I could go on and on, but I think you guys get the point. I don't really care if someone is a good OC/DC, my only concerns are, can he work well with Ireland (yes, like it or not, he aint going anywhere), can he put together a good staff and can he be a good HC by making the right decisions and leading 52 grown men every Sunday.

These questions won't be answered the day they hold the press conference, they'll be answered a year or two from now. Lets all have some patience and not freak out when they finally pick a guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 02:36PM by dolphaholic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: History should tell us 1 thing
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 02:24PM

Completely agree. Picking a coordinator for a HC job is as much luck as anything. Luck and balls to pick a lesser known guy (John Harbaugh or Mike McCarthy) if you have a lot of confidence in him.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 16, 2012 02:42PM

I agree. But that exact reason is why I wanted to stay away from the Mangini's and Mularky's of the world.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 16, 2012 04:30PM

The other thing History tells us ..... great drafting makes average coaches look great.

Parcell's was not so hot without a full roster of stars, Shottenheimer...same deal, Shannahan..average.

yes the coach has to use the right system to the talent he has...but he also needs the players.

To that extent...Ireland did a good job last year. the best draft we have had in years. Another one or two of those and we have a talented team! Ireland could build enough talent that we would be '1 player away'.

I wish we had lost more games and were drafting a 1st round QB...but....Moore looked good enough to win some games. Alex Smith isn't elite...but he is good enough to get the job done within the team system.

IMO...our Defense needs the most work. We need to get to the QB more consistently, and we need to be able to stop teams on 3rd and 15.

If Ireland has another draft like 2011 we will be in very good shape. And much closer to being a winner irrespective of who is coaching.

I agree with Ross for not giving in to Fisher.

Date: January 16, 2012 04:45PM

Here is the deal:

Draft a QB, and build around him.

---------------------

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 16, 2012 05:05PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're throwing an awful lot of names out there of
> who would be a good HC or not, most of that is
> based on their current positions. Think about that
> for a few. Here's a few examples;
>
> Cam Cameron - Came here as the hot-shot OC from
> San Diego....Failed.

RE: Hate to bust your bubble here but Cameron never had a chance... He wanted a fast, athletic team much like the Rams had...he never got a real chance to implement his system before he was canned.
>
> John Harbaugh - Went to the Ravens as a ST coach,
> pretty sure the fan base wasn't thrilled with that
> choice - Good HC

RE: So far anyway.
>
> Mike McCarthy - G Bay hired him from San Fran,
> where he led the 31st ranked offense, think people
> loved that? - Super Bowl winning coach
>
> Spagnola - Rams hired him as the hot-shot DC from
> the Giants - Failed
>
> I could go on and on, but I think you guys get the
> point. I don't really care if someone is a good
> OC/DC, my only concerns are, can he work well with
> Ireland (yes, like it or not, he aint going
> anywhere), can he put together a good staff and
> can he be a good HC by making the right decisions
> and leading 52 grown men every Sunday.
>
> These questions won't be answered the day they
> hold the press conference, they'll be answered a
> year or two from now. Lets all have some patience
> and not freak out when they finally pick a guy.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 16, 2012 06:38PM

realist Wrote:
> IMO...our Defense needs the most work. We need to
> get to the QB more consistently, and we need to be
> able to stop teams on 3rd and 15.

Exactly what my gripe is.

This defense needs to show up for the the whole game, not just the first half and then running out of gas in the 2nd half. On top of that, playing soft towards the end of a game does us in every time instead of staying aggressive. That is on Nolan.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 17, 2012 02:04AM

Ken Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We're throwing an awful lot of names out there
> of
> > who would be a good HC or not, most of that is
> > based on their current positions. Think about
> that
> > for a few. Here's a few examples;
> >
> > Cam Cameron - Came here as the hot-shot OC from
> > San Diego....Failed.
>
> RE: Hate to bust your bubble here but Cameron
> never had a chance... He wanted a fast, athletic
> team much like the Rams had...he never got a real
> chance to implement his system before he was
> canned.

Cam was an X's and O's guy, perfect as an OC, but he was NOT a leader. This was proven in the fact that he lost control of the team during the season. A HC should NEVER lose control of his team. Cam will NEVER be a good HC in the NFL. It's just not in him.

Date: January 17, 2012 02:25AM

Your Forgetting the Ultimate example: Dave Wannastadt. Heck of a DC in Dallas. Stunk it up in Chigago and Miami like a bathroom at a Tex Mex All you can eat Buffet.

Cameron failed becuase he jumped the gun and picked a Punt returner/reciever when we needed so much more at that time. it was down hill from there. No one respected him. he needed to set an example with Joey Porter and Bitched out.

New needs to let them know he would take any shit.

Date: January 17, 2012 05:43AM

Im not sure even if Cam would have picked Willis or Revis the outcome wouldnt have been different.

Cam is a terrible HC. Terrible.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 17, 2012 06:10AM

any reason why Mike Sherman is not considered a candidate?

Date: January 17, 2012 06:19AM

Cuz he sucks.

---------------------

Date: January 17, 2012 06:26AM

why, specifically? he took the packers to the playoffs a few years and I think had an overall winning record. Much like Billick, I don't see how some of these major scrub retreads like Mularky get jobs and these guys don't get interviews.
We are currently picking thru the Cam Camerons of the world, so if we are looking under those rocks, maybe we should talk to some of these other guys

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: January 17, 2012 06:56AM

I think A&O is referring to Sherman's recent failure with Texas A&M. There is no better indication of future success than historical performance. Mularkey has an even worse track record, I don't know how he continues to get HC jobs either. Maybe he has blackmailing skills that we don't know about. smiling smiley

Date: January 17, 2012 07:00AM

well if he didn't win as a college HC I don't want him. See Cam Cameron, HC Indiana

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: January 17, 2012 07:31AM

Always have the sun at your back.

Date: January 17, 2012 07:36AM

Exactly right, DarthHoodie.

---------------------

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 17, 2012 07:57AM

I think it’s really difficult to project an NFL coordinator as a HC. As described in this thread, that’s historically proven. In addition, as others have pointed out, talent is what really wins, and only when talent is maximized with great coaching do you get great results. But great coaching cannot offset inferior talent – that much is obvious.

My core problem with Sparano was the fact he didn’t bring anything DECISIVE to the table on either side of the ball. He’s a football “mechanic” and we need a high-level engineer. IMO IQ is paramount at the HC level. And that would be me 1st barometer in accessing a coordinators upside as a HC.

The second factor has to be a decisive advantage the coordinator possesses in his skill set. For example, a great defensive mind can also impact how you structure and implement your offense because that mind will understand the best way to attack an opposing D, because he knows where the limitations of scheme are, and can play “chess” both ways.

In our situation we’re fortunate to have one of the better D minds in football with Nolan. So our “ideal” HC should be complimentary and be noted for his offensive innovation and scheme flexibility, which allows us to create unsolvable match-ups etc. that reduce the game to execution – as the evil Patriots do with the help of dark football shamanic powers.

Great “coaching” in the NFL today is all about scheme and variations that create advantages for your playmakers to make plays. It’s also about making the opposition make decisions they’d rather not make – so you have to be aggressive and find ways to keep the other team catching-up to what you’re doing. In this light, predictability is a death blow. And that’s another reason Sparano is not HC material – he’s way too dependent on a pre-set mode of doing things and NOT a dynamic game-day coach.

Just shut UP. And do it!

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 07:59AM by BigNastyFish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.