HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why Not M. Moore?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why Not M. Moore?
Posted by: mrd357 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 07:01AM

I know you probably have killed this topic, but as I said, been away for awhile and am again across the pond. I haven't seen many full games this year, but when I did see Moore play, yes, he looked raw at times, but I thought he was developing nicely as the season progressed. Many have said we need a franchise QB. Why can't Moore become that guy with more weapons and/or experience? My thoughts (and I am not a great football mind, believe me) are that, he was making better reads of the defenses, getting the ball to the open receivers, and running the ball (finally) when the opportunity was there. I know he is not Brady or Brees, but are you ready to scrap him already? I would like to see what he could do with upgrades to the O-Line and another big wide receiver threat. I would hope we concentrate more on our D then our O. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Not M. Moore?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 16, 2012 07:05AM

Because he is a journeyman QB and to win a Superbowl in this league the %'s say you need a franchise QB to do so.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 16, 2012 09:51AM

I'll meet you half way, mrd. If we can get Luck, RGIII or Blackmon, I'd say get them. But if we can't, I'd go elsewhere in the early rounds, pick up a QB after the 4th and rely on Matt Moore next year. Henne is gone.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:01AM

More can be the guy. Need to improve th o line and get him a WR opposite Marshall and a TE threat

May have to fe for 2012 unless we land Flynn

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:08AM

What I find funny, is that everbody wanted us to draft one of the various Qb's that went in the 1st rd last year(including me(newton)...And do you know Matt Moore outperformed every QB not only drafted but that changed hands last year.... He was the stud of QB's that were added to teams last year, even 1st rd pick Cam Newton..... SO take that for what it is worth... I am not sure Matt Moore is a franchise qb, but I also do not have him as a career journeyman, either at this point... Very few QB are studs in the first 3 years, ...In fact most take several years to mature into their game....And dont tell me about Matt Ryan..He couldnt even put a field goal on the board in his playoff game, nothing..... And he has Tony Gonzalez, Micheal Turner, Roddy WHite, and Julio Jones, to name a few options he has to help him on offense..... Matt Moore should be the starter going into training camp, unless one thing happens, we sign Peyton Manning... If we draft Luck, or RGIII, neither guy will be ahead of Moore come start of next season...So whether u like it or not 99% chance, Moore is going to be starter week 1... Peyton manning being the 1 percent he will not...

Date: January 16, 2012 10:24AM

You dont have him as a career jouneyman?????

Then what do you call his career so far?

---------------------

Date: January 16, 2012 10:58AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll meet you half way, mrd. If we can get Luck,
> RGIII or Blackmon, I'd say get them. But if we
> can't, I'd go elsewhere in the early rounds, pick
> up a QB after the 4th and rely on Matt Moore next
> year. Henne is gone.

THIS. At least TRY to move up. Step to the plate and take a swing. We are in a much better position then last year at this time with Moore. I like him , but I don't see him ever being Alex Smith. Sorry. We need to draft a QB later if not sooner no matter what. Weeden maybe?

Date: January 16, 2012 11:11AM

Date: January 16, 2012 11:22AM

Ok, those are all words...not gonna waste my time reading it.

But all I really see is 3 teams in 5 years. Thats what you call a journeyman.

---------------------

Date: January 16, 2012 11:45AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Ok, those are all words...not gonna waste my time
> reading it.
>
>
> But all I really see is 3 teams in 5 years. Thats
> what you call a journeyman.

come on man thats not fair, read it and you will see why I look at him different then you..

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 16, 2012 12:41PM

I agree with Crowder, and have had that opinion of him for quite awhile now...Moore is more than a journey man QB. Moore is a good player and he has intangibles that make him even better. He's one of the many, many players that never really get a chance but once they do they exceed expectations. Moor has done that, in spades.

That said, is he the next coming? Ummmm no. But is he good enough to lead the Phins to the playoffs? Ummmm, yes! Is he good enough to lead us farther than that with the right assistance and scheme? Ummmm, again, yes!

Would I draft Griffin or Luck if given the chance? Yes I would. Would I add Flynn if I could? Again, yes I would.

Will I feel comfortable about our starting QB if all we are left with going into next season is Moore? Once again, Yes!

Moore is simply not as bad as people are making him out to be and I fully expect him to get better as he plays more...and is afforded some stability, quality coaching, and better players around him.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 16, 2012 01:28PM

Why not Todd Bowles then?

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 16, 2012 01:32PM

Carolina fans were pretty high on Moore after 2009, when he turned in an even higher passer rating than he did this year in Miami. Then, in 2010, he was awful. How do we know 2012 wont be a replay of 2010?

The Panthers were so convinced that Moore was not the guy, they drafted both Claussen and Newton.

He lacks the arm to make all the throws. And the offense was simplified for him, so that he could usually just make one read and then check down. When Ross says finding a QB is paramount, don't you believe he is hearing that from Ireland, Peterson, and Mangini? So, Miami doesn't believe he is the answer, either. Just like Carolina.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 16, 2012 01:44PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
>
>
>
> But all I really see is 3 teams in 5 years. Thats
> what you call a journeyman.

Are you really going to count him as being on the Dallas Cowboys? What was he, traded after something like one day?

He's really 'only' been on two teams in practical terms, right?

Date: January 16, 2012 02:22PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> Carolina fans were pretty high on Moore after
> 2009, when he turned in an even higher passer
> rating than he did this year in Miami. Then, in
> 2010, he was awful. How do we know 2012 wont be a
> replay of 2010?
>
> The Panthers were so convinced that Moore was not
> the guy, they drafted both Claussen and Newton.
>
> He lacks the arm to make all the throws. And the
> offense was simplified for him, so that he could
> usually just make one read and then check down.
> When Ross says finding a QB is paramount, don't
> you believe he is hearing that from Ireland,
> Peterson, and Mangini? So, Miami doesn't believe
> he is the answer, either. Just like Carolina.

RE: It's all a big gamble and it will be with any player we get, via draft, or F/A, or trade, or whatever. There are never any guarantee's.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 02:33PM

Ken Wrote:
> I agree with Crowder, and have had that opinion of
> him for quite awhile now...Moore is more than a
> journey man QB. Moore is a good player and he has
> intangibles that make him even better. He's one of
> the many, many players that never really get a
> chance but once they do they exceed expectations.
> Moor has done that, in spades.
>
> That said, is he the next coming? Ummmm no. But is
> he good enough to lead the Phins to the playoffs?
> Ummmm, yes! Is he good enough to lead us farther
> than that with the right assistance and scheme?
> Ummmm, again, yes!
>
> Would I draft Griffin or Luck if given the chance?
> Yes I would. Would I add Flynn if I could? Again,
> yes I would.
>
> Will I feel comfortable about our starting QB if
> all we are left with going into next season is
> Moore? Once again, Yes!
>
> Moore is simply not as bad as people are making
> him out to be and I fully expect him to get better
> as he plays more...and is afforded some stability,
> quality coaching, and better players around him.

Agree with all except I would not be comfortable with only him heading into next year. We need someone to compete with him if we can't land Luck, RGIII, or Flynn. If that is a QB in rounds 2-3 or a decent FA then fine but we cannot sit pat with Moore and feel good about it.

He is fine as a stop gap until we can get a QB with a legit chance to become a top 5 QB in this league.

Date: January 16, 2012 02:38PM

Agree 1423.

Date: January 16, 2012 02:48PM

Mark is exactly right, and its a point I have tried over and over to tell people.

I live in the Carolinas. The Panthers are my #2 team.

I know and understand Panther football. Matt Moore had a very good year in 2009, and in 2010...he pooped his pants.

He will do the same with us, next season. Just watch and see.

---------------------

Date: January 16, 2012 02:56PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> Carolina fans were pretty high on Moore after
> 2009, when he turned in an even higher passer
> rating than he did this year in Miami. Then, in
> 2010, he was awful. How do we know 2012 wont be a
> replay of 2010?
>
He was injured with a severe concusion in game 1 of 2010. He didnt play well directly foolowing the concussion, once he came back he played well again and then suffered a shoulder injury due to a hit by Sedrick Ellis... and was out... Other then his post concussion run, Moore has played well... Once he was injured, and Carolina had the top pick and were heavilyinvesting in Cam Newton, and they have another first rd pick yet to be full devloped in Clausen, they let Moore walk understandibly...

Date: January 16, 2012 02:59PM

I believe Moore can be a stop gap, and there is a 50/50 chance he could develop one day into more then just that... Until we have a solid franchise we keep going after top rated guys, I just dont want to write off the best QB we have had since Marino as he sucks and is expendable... He surely should not be..

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 16, 2012 03:17PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> ..... Matt Moore
> had a very good year in 2009, and in 2010...he
> pooped his pants.
>
>

LOL if I had a nickel for every time you mentioned Matt Moore's bowel incontinence, I could by the Dolphins from Mr. Ross.

Date: January 16, 2012 03:35PM

Also agree Crowder.

Date: January 16, 2012 03:53PM

JC Wrote:
> Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ..... Matt Moore
> > had a very good year in 2009, and in 2010...he
> > pooped his pants.
> >
> >
>
> LOL if I had a nickel for every time you mentioned
> Matt Moore's bowel incontinence, I could by the
> Dolphins from Mr. Ross.

You mean like when he talks about the Super Bowel? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: January 16, 2012 04:13PM

I like Moore. I would also agree if an upgrade is available then go for it. I am against trading the farm to acquire ANY player. New England, Pittsburgh etc are consistently good because they dont overpay and dont panic trade to obtain a particular player

Date: January 16, 2012 04:41PM

Does anybody know how to post videos to...Facebook?

---------------------

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 04:53PM

How many times did Moore lead this team to a come-from-behind winning score against a quality team, or any team for that matter? When the game was on the line and he needed to score for the win (or convert to maintain possession and hold a lead) he folded. Yes, the poor o-line play had something to do with it, but he usually performed well behind that same o-line during the course of the game. Like Henne, he just couldn't get it done when it really mattered.

Is Moore our QB of the future? No. Would I keep him on the team? Yes. He's one heck of a back-up, but a mediocre starter. He had some impressive stats, but not the ones that count. If I remember correctly, he only averages 2 hundred and some yards per game (barely). Yes, he did make a lot of big (over 20 yards) plays. Did they come against quality defenses? I don't care what his stats are during the first 50-55 minutes of the game, I want him to show his stuff at the end of the 4th quarter of a close game. I'm pretty sure that his 4th quarter stats are nowhere near as impressive as the first 3 quarters.

Date: January 16, 2012 04:58PM

For clarification, just because I'd be comforatable with Moore sterting next season does not mean that I think we shouldn't bring in other players...I've said many times that IF we could get Luck or Griffin without mortgaging the future we should do it. I've also advocated getting Flynn as competition as well as giving Henne a chance to come to camp as competition along with Devlin...failing all of that I've also advocated drafting Tannehill or Foles.

So, I don't think standing pat is a good idea...however, if we can't do any of the things I've mentioned or if Moore wins the starting job in camp then I'm comfortable with him as the starter.

Date: January 16, 2012 05:05PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Also agree Crowder.

Make it three. drinking smiley

Date: January 17, 2012 02:01AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Does anybody know how to post videos
> to...Facebook?

The easiest way is to get a YouTube account and post them there. Then you can link to them from FB.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 17, 2012 03:26AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Does anybody know how to post videos
> to...Facebook?

Hahahahahahaha

I have a 60 yr old guy at work saying that all the time, I'm trying to catch it on my phone video so I can post it to Facebook.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.